The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

Congrats Proditor!

I myself have been using the "No longer have half my income" diet to good effect. I ham 265 which is a sight better than the 297 I was at christmas 2004. I have dropped from 44 to 42 and had to buy new pants and belts!

I still look like a hairy buddah though :D

Congrats Proditor!

I myself have been using the "No longer have half my income" diet to good effect. I ham 265 which is a sight better than the 297 I was at christmas 2004. I have dropped from 44 to 42 and had to buy new pants and belts!

I still look like a hairy buddah though :D

Thank you kindly, and I see from some of the other posts, I owe you a Happy Birthday, so consider one passed along. :celebrate

The funny part is that I finally got a job that would allow me to indulge in epicurean delights, and I start fasting like a monk. C'est la vei. I bought new pants just before going on the plan, so my belt is out of pre-punched notches, and the "comfort fit" waistbands I'd gotten are getting all bunched up from being cinched tight. But...I ain't complaining! :D

Waterfowl, to be precise.

Do they have loons in your part of the world?

Loons are neat.

. . . This is how the loon was created. In the first days of the world, when Almighty G-d walked the earth, creating all living things, the Devil was there, too. Being true to his nature, when the Lord gave life and movement to insects, fish, birds, four-footed animals - well everything that walked, crawled, swam and flew - the Evil One felt jealous. He wanted to create things, too! And when he looked at all the things that Creator had made, he felt a particularly bad twinge of jealousy when he saw the birds of the sky. "Oho!", said the Cloven-Hoofed, "I'll show him that he's not the only one who can create such beauty!" So the Devil sits himself down on a riverbank, and takes a fistful of black clay, spits in it and starts to knead. It is tough going, because between you and me, the Devil isn't the most gifted, creatively speaking. But after many tries and failures, there, in his black hand, sits a bird, black and white, with a sharp beak and a glistening eyes. The Horned Man laughs in joy and launches the bird into the air, and it opens its wings and flies away. It was just then that the Devil noticed something wrong - he hadn't given the creature any legs! Swearing the worst lithany he knows (and, he being who he was, those lithanies are bad!) he grabs a couple of twigs and flings them after the bird. They stuck right at the back of the bird, and has stayed there ever since.

So, boys and girls, that is how the Devil made the loon. Touch wood when you hear the cries of that bird, and when it flies over you, and never eat its flesh, because the Devil himself made it and cursed it.

You sure have a pretty mouth.

Ya know, you have to feel a little bad for Ned Beatty.

That said, heh, repped for the reference and congrats on hitting the upper pantheon! (Though t'was not me that put you there, I only bumped you to 201) Something else to be happy about! :thumbup:

'"Happy,"' when written like that, it too much of a threat to my fragile male ego. :angst:

Well, then, what makes me happy? My nephew and niece. Nice, well-behaved kids (as long as she doesn't touch his stuff), and they like to play around with crayons and Lego . . .

Kittens and puppies.

Managing to draw something that doesn't make me wanna chuck my hands into the microwave.

Anansi Boys.

. . . This is how the loon was created. In the first days of the world, when Almighty G-d walked the earth, creating all living things, the Devil was there, too. Being true to his nature, when the Lord gave life and movement to insects, fish, birds, four-footed animals - well everything that walked, crawled, swam and flew - the Evil One felt jealous. He wanted to create things, too! And when he looked at all the things that Creator had made, he felt a particularly bad twinge of jealousy when he saw the birds of the sky. "Oho!", said the Cloven-Hoofed, "I'll show him that he's not the only one who can create such beauty!" So the Devil sits himself down on a riverbank, and takes a fistful of black clay, spits in it and starts to knead. It is tough going, because between you and me, the Devil isn't the most gifted, creatively speaking. But after many tries and failures, there, in his black hand, sits a bird, black and white, with a sharp beak and a glistening eyes. The Horned Man laughs in joy and launches the bird into the air, and it opens its wings and flies away. It was just then that the Devil noticed something wrong - he hadn't given the creature any legs! Swearing the worst lithany he knows (and, he being who he was, those lithanies are bad!) he grabs a couple of twigs and flings them after the bird. They stuck right at the back of the bird, and has stayed there ever since.

So, boys and girls, that is how the Devil made the loon. Touch wood when you hear the cries of that bird, and when it flies over you, and never eat its flesh, because the Devil himself made it and cursed it.

Y'know, I can believe an origin story like that. Those things are evil-looking. Those little red eyes, and those sharp little beaks . . . And their little laugh sounds kinda cute in the daylight, but at night, it just gives you the shivers.

That and I once chased a loon while I was in a boat. I'd paddle pretty close, then it would just VANISH, only to reappear a few hundred feet behind me. I did that a few times, and it followed the same pattern every time.

I was eight at the time, and had never before encountered a bird that could swim underwater.

Anyway. I'm vaguely in awe of them, actually.

Before I hit puberty, I could mimic the call of the loon. But my, would my throat be sore afterwards.

There's a sheltered spot for a swim back home north. It's a bay of the Pite, with birch and pine around it. Taking a midnight dip there, on a clear night with the sky beautifully pink to the north and a dark turquoise to the south, then hearing the call of the loon, or the cry of the curlew . . .

I got back from Oregon with our latest cats. (That's two cats adopted in a span of three weeks). She's lounging on a shelf right now.

Zane was introduced to the other cats and seems to not care, but they don't seem to mind him either. Better intro wished for, but better than many I've seen.

The new camera interfaces well with Linux.

We got back just as it started snowing again so we avoided any bad weather driving.