WWYCD: "I, For One, Welcome Our New Insect Overlords"

SKJAM!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: WWYCD: "I, For One, Welcome Our New Insect Overlords"

"Excuse me' date=' but if you are as technologically advanced as you claim, why do you still need to raise and slaughter animals for food? Isn't vat cultured tissue more efficent? Let's get you together with some people who can help you design some O'Neil habitats, you can move to an uninhabited system, and not have to worry about an indigenous population." If it seems that he knows more biology than thys do, he will start wondering if they are as advanced as they claim.[/quote']

They may have had religious or other reasons for not researching biotechnology until recently.

Snow Leopard Much the same as Dolphin' date=' but not nearly as good natured. Willing to be the test case to see if they really do have technology to prevent military force from being used against them if that military force inclues Wolverine's daughter. Claws vs starship hull, any bets?[/quote']

I would bet on the claws. Does that count?

Mark 2: Offer himself up as a fuel / energy source in exhange for the invaders leaving the planet.

Power is good, but I think, like humans, they still need to eat (in the immediate future) ;)

Thena: :rofl: She knows what to do! :rofl:

We had a "conquer the world mad scientist" who wanted to force everyone to go vegan because it was "cruel and viscious" to eat "something with a face," especially nice ol' cows. Thena searched and searched and finally found a dimension where the sapients were 3.5 m tall cattle-like thingies with big pointy teeth and a fondness for eating sapients. She XDMed the mad scientist there, and let him be chased around (she kept aporting him away before he got caught) for a couple hours. She brought him back, with a different 'tude for sure. :eg:

Send the commanders of the Mantoids there, let a couple get eaten, and they should get the message. :eg:

Or the commanders, demonstrating how they became such in the first place, would organize the sapients of that dimension into a fearsome vassal of the Mantoids :eg:

Or simply asking the Mantii prove their ability to govern by eliminating Mechanon' date=' Firewing, Dr D, Takofphones, the Empess of a Billion dimensions....[/quote']

As threats, yes. Having learned that they lose at wars, the Mantoids seem more likely to make these individuals the same offer - and, whether returning as vassals of these villains or simply with the news that peace has been made, you then have the new challenge of facing a combined force. How, exactly, was this an improvement? :P

With minimal warning' date=' large starships appear over every capital city on Earth. These turn out to be inhabited by three meter tall intelligent preying mantises.[/quote']

Let's see . . . Total code against Killing (or even harming) Insects, and a mythology that places insects in a position of eventually becoming sentient (and allies) in their own right.

The Mantii (as best humans can pronounce it) explain that they will generously take over governing Earth' date=' in exchange for massive amounts of meat. Not, thankfully, human meat, but they are interested in oh, say, 90% of the cattle humans would normally slaughter each year.[/quote']

Also, a vegetarian (digestive system literally incapable of processing meat).

What Would Your Character Do? (Feel free to pick an earlier point in the process that he/she/it would intervene.)

Kaja, naturally, would be assisting them in whatever way possible, while also trying to bargain with them for the biotechnology to evolve Earth's native insectoid life to their level :D

And, just because this reminded me of it:

Warning: the following content is probably inappropriate for anyone below 18, and may be objectionable even if you are 18/above.

I really mean it: the following content contains graphic depictions of female nipples, being abused in painful ways.

http://www.freeuniverse4all.com/cgi/download.php?cat=videos&id=691

Okay, so I didn't say human nipples ;)

My point?

None of you are thinking to consult the wronged party in this. You act all indignant about what's being done to you and the "people" of Earth, but isn't is rather convenient how you don't count as "people" the very group of sapients whose death is not in question, merely who they will inevitably be sacrificed to?

I'm thinking "Cows With Guns", here. Anyone else?

Hey, if mantids can be intelligent, why not bovines?

Maybe they were on the run from their persecution on the mantid's home planet.

I would call up Space Ghost and ask him to come and pick Zorak and the rest of his insect buddies....

As for Blue Star, well, there's a reason that the Galactic Rangers exist, and it's exactly for stuff like this.

Insect Overlords wouldn't be allowed to take over the Earth; they'll have to settle for trade treaties. Assuming that the species isn't on the "Enemies of All Life" list, that is.

The Swarmling - "Where the Heart Leads, We Follow." If Serenity says they die, then they have to deal with The Swarmling.

(Just for fun, let's assume that the Specter has returned.) - "Let me introduce you to the emancipation proclamation. I didn't lose a war just to have you lot show up and overturn that! The fact that even then I was an abolitionist just means that I'm not going to give up!"

EDIT: Thank you.

That's "Abolitionist".

Terminus - would really be torn. He honestly believes that Earth would be a better place under a single government - in fact, he can prove it if he can ever find a way home. And as for the Mantids, well, he's worked with stranger people before.

But he's not going to let them enslave humans. He'd have to insist on an equal partnership.

[quote=HeroPink!;855242

Thena: :rofl: She knows what to do! :rofl:

We had a "conquer the world mad scientist" who wanted to force everyone to go vegan because it was "cruel and viscious" to eat "something with a face," especially nice ol' cows. Thena searched and searched and finally found a dimension where the sapients were 3.5 m tall cattle-like thingies with big pointy teeth and a fondness for eating sapients. She XDMed the mad scientist there, and let him be chased around (she kept aporting him away before he got caught) for a couple hours. She brought him back, with a different 'tude for sure. :eg:

Send the commanders of the Mantoids there, let a couple get eaten, and they should get the message. :eg:

Now that's an idea!

But maybe instead of straight out bug squishing by heroes, the more sneaky types may realize a Mantii takeover would royally tick off big bad guys like Doctor D, VIPER, etc. Maybe waiting for them to do all the fighting is called for. Or simply asking the Mantii prove their ability to govern by eliminating Mechanon, Firewing, Dr D, Takofphones, the Empess of a Billion dimensions....

problem solved, and maybe some villains taken out before the Mantii get squished or flee.

Another real good one!

Umm, people refuse to live in slavery and serfdom? Since when? or is it that people only refuse to live in slavery and serfdom when the masters are ugly insecty things that make us go "ugh!"

What if the invaders looked like Tolkien's elves or Charlize Theron, would that make a difference?

To some people, yes. To others, no.

Version One declares that he will not recognise their sovereignty over any country simply handed over. Without a fair, _monitored_ plebescite they are no more than illegal aliens* and their forces may be attacked if they try to enforce their illegal "laws". He encourages governments and superheros to sign the same declaration. He also points out that as the founder of the first interstellar earth food restuarant he is quite prepared to provide meat at any of their convenient locations or even do take out, so clearly they don't need to take over countries to get beef. Either they were previously ignorant of our wide range of reasonably priced cuisine, in which case they can stop asking to take over countries, or they want more than they're letting on. He campaigns hard in the countries that seem likely to agree to the deal, emphasising how easy it is to get earth food without needed to take our governments. Meanwhile the team uses their spaceship to send word of this to the rest of galatic civilisation and try to learn about what the Mantii are really all about. When they start issuing ultimatums he revises the declaration to read "free, monitored and uncoerced" plebescites and declares war officially on the Mantii.

* He's a refugee himself so he got in under the asylum rules.

• 10 months later...

With minimal warning, large starships appear over every capital city on Earth. These turn out to be inhabited by three meter tall intelligent preying mantises.

The Mantii (as best humans can pronounce it) explain that they will generously take over governing Earth, in exchange for massive amounts of meat.

*flexs knuckles* combining his knowhow of magic, his experience as a planewalker, and what he's picked up about human technology since being stuck on Earth, and what he can gather about the Mantii tech -

( are they Thri-Kreen, btw? Vitus got on quite well with Thri-Kreen )

Negotiate a crash technology mash-up.

Build and boost to orbit a thousand or more giant transparent super-rubber balloons, inflate, and line the insides with a transparent gel as growth media and puncture-sealant.

Seed with fast-growing feed-crops.

Use magic, genetic engineering, or whatever to recreate a species that up to now Vitus had never ever wanted to encounter again.

Giant Space Hampsters.

Turn them loose inside the bubbles, and harvest as required.

With the Mantii ships bringing in raw materials from the Asteroid and Kuiper Belts, and the birthrate of hampsters, within a decade there'll be a ring of kilometre-wide hampster-stuffed bubbles around the Sun, and the Mantii will never be short of food again.

As far as letting them govern Earth, why not? It's no fur off Vitus's nose.