Making a Ninja Hero Campaign with Anthro Characters

Wolfe-Chan

Re: Making a Ninja Hero Campaign with Anthro Characters

I would suggest browsing through either Fantasy Hero or Star Hero for package ideas. Cat people, dog people and other types could easily be replicated by using them.

Another option would be to ignore the idea of them having special abilities. They look like a humanoid cat, dog, or whatever but have the same abilities as humans.

I would suggest browsing through either Fantasy Hero or Star Hero for package ideas. Cat people, dog people and other types could easily be replicated by using them.

Another option would be to ignore the idea of them having special abilities. They look like a humanoid cat, dog, or whatever but have the same abilities as humans.

Hmm.... I hate to say "me to," but Steve has it pegged perfectly here.

...you'll just have to wait your turn. The World of the Eight Sages ain't gonna pop out of my head in an instant. :D

But... if anything, flip through other sources that use anthro-styled races. Get some ideas about stats, abilities, stuff like that. Just make sure you stick to a particular point value that's cheap enough to buy, yet not overpowering.

Have you considered taking a look at the Ironclaw and Jadeclaw settings from Sanguine? I haven't seen if they're still producing, but they have some interesting rules for factoring in an anthro species.

They also have an interesting system, but not so interesting that I'm giving up my Fantasy Hero collection for it ;)

Have you considered taking a look at the Ironclaw and Jadeclaw settings from Sanguine? I haven't seen if they're still producing, but they have some interesting rules for factoring in an anthro species.

They also have an interesting system, but not so interesting that I'm giving up my Fantasy Hero collection for it ;)

-chuckles- I was just thinking the same thing. Specifically, the way *Claw gives little abilities to simulate the differences. I'd recommend letting everyone have a small "anthropomorph bennies" Package, worth about 15-20 pts. Make sure everyone's is equal. Now, starting with the base form (all base characteristics at 8) figure small bonuses from that to simulate the animal type. Don't go too extreme here; just because they're a rabbit, they don't need +6" of Leaping. I'd recommend 1/3 to 1/2 to Characteristics (no more than +3 max), 1/4 to 1/3 to movement (no more than double, and a couple inches ought to do it), and the rest to Sense boosts and maybe a natural skill or two (Stealth, Breakfall, something like that). If you really want claws, I'd say 1 pip HKA (1/2d6 w/STR) Reduced Penetration; you're an evolved animal after all, and you don't see the average human swinging from a vine, do you? The name of the game here is subtle and small; nothing should be all that impressive, just interesting.

out of curiosity, what's the Starting Points and Campaign Limits?

The nice thing about going from *Claw to Hero is that the species can be differentiated a bit more. In *Claw all cat species had the same skills and bonuses the only difference is the writen suggestions for how to play them. In Hero the cats can have the same skills, but a Lion could be at +3 STR, while a Leopard might have more DEX, and a cheetah would have more running.

The nice thing about going from *Claw to Hero is that the species can be differentiated a bit more. In *Claw all cat species had the same skills and bonuses the only difference is the writen suggestions for how to play them. In Hero the cats can have the same skills' date=' but a Lion could be at +3 STR, while a Leopard might have more DEX, and a cheetah would have more running.[/quote']

The cat-people in MMM are built like this.

• 2 weeks later...

out of curiosity' date=' what's the Starting Points and Campaign Limits?[/quote']

I am going for 100 base/100 disadvantages, have a modified NCM with 30 being max on non figured characteristics, 6 Spd max, money for equipment, thinking about 60 active point max on powers, but of course the emphesis will be on Martial arts.

Want to have a Wuxia feel but in a modern setting.

Wolfe-Chan

Very cool. You looking at a historical or modern setting?

Are their going to be species specific Martial Arts?

Will you have a set number of Anthropomorphic Species to begin with?

Inquiering mind wants to know. :D

Wow I did not even think of Species Specific Martial Arts, that is an awesome Idea will have to look into doing that. I am sure avian charcaters would have different martial arts now that I think about it.

Will be modern setting near Hong Kong in an earth that is a bit different do to Humans and anthro's co-exsisting. (Some humans are not so good at the co-exsisting tho)

No I am not going to be to specific on what species you can be but I have some general package deals and will be working on them to make them more specific as the campaign goes on.

I am looking to make the campaign a modern game but with a Wuxia/mystical past that is coming to haunt the Shaolin temple the characters have come to learn martial arts. And old enemies coming back from the past to eliminate the Shaolin way of life forever sorta thing.

I think it would be cool to have a bear charcater with a Bear style kung fu, or a monkey Character with Drunken Monkey Style that would rule.

I do hope the Players go to town on making there Characters creative and interesting.

Thanx for the Ideas!

Daniel

• 1 month later...

Well so far I am doing well on the campaign. I am working on my First adventure and a few of the other students at the Shaolin Temple that the campaign will take place in as a base.

Also working on some of the more interesting colourful characters that populate the temple. I have a rival group of students. The Leader of the temple and a few of the charcaters that frequent the temple from time to time. If people are interested in seeing some of my NPCs I will post them for you.

I have herodesigner files for all my NPCs.

I have made the temple as a base as well.

I am still trying to come up with some species specific martial arts as well. One question I have does anyone have any experience with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? I want to have a NPC with that martial art. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to build it. It is more grappling then Japanese Ju-Jutsu as I have read and seen.

Any ideas for NPCs or campaign colour?

Any suggestions for species specific martial arts would be awesome too!

Well thanx for giving this a read and I hope you all post!

Wolfe-Chan

I am still trying to come up with some species specific martial arts as well. One question I have does anyone have any experience with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? I want to have a NPC with that martial art. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to build it. It is more grappling then Japanese Ju-Jutsu as I have read and see

I do, and by experience (by jaw still hurt). I could say they use Martial Strike, Offenive Strike, Martial Grab, Passing Grab, Offensive grab, Choke Hold, Martial Escape, Killing Throw, Martial Throw. The usual gym simbols here are Gorillas, Pittbull dogs (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter nickname is Pitbull due the ears, mood and the brain size) and Alligators. And Brazilian Jiu Jitsu weak spot is mobility. A Capoeira master or a monkey Kung Fu master could kick the Br Jiu Jitsu figher's *** easy. But if they get in a close combat everything changes

Think in terms of how the style "feels" to you... then pin the animal on them.

One thing to keep in mind is how much it empazises on a particular method. I do have a quick list off the top of my head as starters...

• Pressure points: emphasis on swift, precision strikes; snakes, several swooping breeds of birds, scorpions.
  • The "power push": empasis on immediate take-downs, sudden strikes; pretty much most that depend on initial bursts of strength, such as bulls, boars, and rams.
  • The long haul: empasis on outlasting your opponents; best for big beefy animals such as bears, elephants, horses.
  • Dodging: emphasis on... you get the idea; felines, pretty much all mustelids and rodents, even snakes.
  • Power strikes; emphasis on breaking things with careful sudden strikes, not unlike pressure points but with no actual location--best against inaminate objects; eagles, tigers, bulls.

You get the idea?

Think in terms of how the style "feels" to you... then pin the animal on them.

One thing to keep in mind is how much it empazises on a particular method. I do have a quick list off the top of my head as starters...

• Pressure points: emphasis on swift, precision strikes; snakes, several swooping breeds of birds, scorpions.
  • The "power push": empasis on immediate take-downs, sudden strikes; pretty much most that depend on initial bursts of strength, such as bulls, boars, and rams.
  • The long haul: empasis on outlasting your opponents; best for big beefy animals such as bears, elephants, horses.
  • Dodging: emphasis on... you get the idea; felines, pretty much all mustelids and rodents, even snakes.
  • Power strikes; emphasis on breaking things with careful sudden strikes, not unlike pressure points but with no actual location--best against inaminate objects; eagles, tigers, bulls.

You get the idea?

Thanx this stuff is very helpful has given me a lot of ideas. Kung Fu is the central martial art to the campaign, being about a Shaolin Temple and all. I am encouraging the players and trying to make the NPC's with a veriety of other arts in adition to Kung Fu. To add more variety and to maybe get some rivalries between different arts happening. Making some species specific Kung Fu styles and maybe some martial arts tailored to specific animal types will really add some flavour to my campaign.

For example I am toying with the idea of making an avian martial art I am sure there could be some interesting martial maneuvers for combat during flight.

Someone else gave me a few good ideas for larger animals like bulls and other animals with antlers or horns for some maneuvers for charging and attacking with them.

The 'ole brain is working again thanx!

Wolfe-Chan

I do' date=' and by experience (by jaw still hurt). I could say they use Martial Strike, Offenive Strike, Martial Grab, Passing Grab, Offensive grab, Choke Hold, Martial Escape, Killing Throw, Martial Throw. The usual gym simbols here are Gorillas, Pittbull dogs (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter nickname is Pitbull due the ears, mood and the brain size) and Alligators. And Brazilian Jiu Jitsu weak spot is mobility. A Capoeira master or a monkey Kung Fu master could kick the Br Jiu Jitsu figher's *** easy. But if they get in a close combat everything changes[/quote']

Thanx this really helps now I have somewhere to start from for Brazilian Jiu-Juitsu. Thanx bunches! Will have to watch more UFC and Pride to see what I can see about it too.

Wolfe-Chan

PS Wish I had this kind of resource when I was younger my games would have been so much more interesting and complete I think!

Thanx this really helps now I have somewhere to start from for Brazilian Jiu-Juitsu. Thanx bunches! Will have to watch more UFC and Pride to see what I can see about it too.!

Just a note. Usually what the brazilians fight at UFC and Pride are a mix of some martial styles which they call Vale Tudo. A fight style designated to this kind of tournament. Te few ones which fight with the clean Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are the Gracie family members and Victor Belford. The Gracie family says the Jiu Jitsu are the chess of martial arts.

Just a note. Usually what the brazilians fight at UFC and Pride are a mix of some martial styles which they call Vale Tudo. A fight style designated to this kind of tournament. Te few ones which fight with the clean Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are the Gracie family members and Victor Belford. The Gracie family says the Jiu Jitsu are the chess of martial arts.

Not a big fan if the Gracies myself. But it seems to me that Brazilians in Pride and UFC seem to be more ground oriented is what I was getting at and if anyone had any suggestions along a more ground based martial art for the hero system.

Wolfe-Chan

Not a big fan if the Gracies myself. But it seems to me that Brazilians in Pride and UFC seem to be more ground oriented is what I was getting at and if anyone had any suggestions along a more ground based martial art for the hero system.

Wolfe-Chan

And they are. Judo are pretty ground oriented as well and the olympic wrestling have a lot of ground elements. I always consider maneuvers like grabs and escapes have ground elements. If you read some maneuvers you will see they are talking about ground and finishing immobilization movements