Making a Ninja Hero Campaign with Anthro Characters

Wolfe-Chan

Re: Making a Ninja Hero Campaign with Anthro Characters

And they are. Judo are pretty ground oriented as well and the olympic wrestling have a lot of ground elements. I always consider maneuvers like grabs and escapes have ground elements. If you read some maneuvers you will see they are talking about ground and finishing immobilization movements

True I guess I was looking for more realism then I should be I guess or was bit confused at what I was thinking and what was really possible and was there already without my seeing it was already there.

Wow that was quite the run on sentence!

Wolfe-Chan

Other general side notes and decent reference material:

If you're going Shao-Lin style and want to explore a videogame adaptation thereof, Jade Empire does some neat stuff with their real-time MA engine. The game itself is utterly broken, but there's plenty of interesting material in there if you're going to start leaning towards mystic arts, as well as martial arts.

I'm sure Susano already covered the bulk of VG MA's in Ninja Hero so I won't attempt to rehash that, but if you haven't played a Fighting Game recently, I would suggest either the newest Dragon Ball Z to get a feel for "hyper" fighting, Street Fighter Alpha III (from the anniversary collection) or Tekken 5, which is one of the best pure video fighters out there. Also, Viruta Fighter 4 for it's excellent renders and fighting "feel."

Weapons combat knows no comparison to the almighty Soul Calibur II. Oh, in case this wasn't mentioned, don't forget that many martial styles also include weapons training, including Karate, Tae Kwon Do & Aikido.

Aikido! It's not just for grabs anymore!

Other general side notes and decent reference material:

If you're going Shao-Lin style and want to explore a videogame adaptation thereof, Jade Empire does some neat stuff with their real-time MA engine. The game itself is utterly broken, but there's plenty of interesting material in there if you're going to start leaning towards mystic arts, as well as martial arts.

I'm sure Susano already covered the bulk of VG MA's in Ninja Hero so I won't attempt to rehash that, but if you haven't played a Fighting Game recently, I would suggest either the newest Dragon Ball Z to get a feel for "hyper" fighting, Street Fighter Alpha III (from the anniversary collection) or Tekken 5, which is one of the best pure video fighters out there. Also, Viruta Fighter 4 for it's excellent renders and fighting "feel."

Weapons combat knows no comparison to the almighty Soul Calibur II. Oh, in case this wasn't mentioned, don't forget that many martial styles also include weapons training, including Karate, Tae Kwon Do & Aikido.

Aikido! It's not just for grabs anymore!

Cool I had not really thought of looking into fighting games for insperation thanx I will have to give some of those a look see. I do not have an xbox so can not give jade empire the once over. Thank you for you suggestion is an avenue that I did not really give much thought too. I will have to dig out the few old fighting games I have and check them out for ideas Thanx

Wolfe-Chan

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am going to be starting my game soon I have three characters wish I could find some more but seems they are hard to come by here. Of the three characters I have one person who is going to play a human Mauy Thai/pitfighter. A sneaky bat character that is a Forset deamon or a Chinese Ninja. The third character is Shaolin Snake Kung Fu using Cheetah.

The camapign is shapping up nicely I have most of the first adventure written up. No w I just have to work more on background for the campaign. As well as flesh out the people in the temple trying to give them more then just stats on a character sheet.

For background I was thinking that the Shaolin Temple that is the centre of the campaign is more mystcal in nature. Basically to ad more of a mystic element to the campaign. This will give me the oppertunity to be able to have more mystical enemies as well as totally wayout Wuxia action.

I really want the campaign to have the flavour of a wild Hong Kong Action Cinema feel. Does any one have any pointers to try to potray it in a role playing session? Also if anyone has any Chinese inspired mystical/magical Items they could send my way or just some ideas so I could build a few more that would be very helpful. I am a bit at a lose for some more equips for the players and NPC's.

Thanx

Wolfe-Chan

Keith Curtis' work as linked above should do you well. I also recommend Hero System Bestiary. If it doesn't cover it outright' date=' it at least gives you the powers an animal would have to easily adapt.[/quote']

Actually, the Bestiary has templates for several "Animal-Men" hybrids: bird, cat, gorilla, and reptile. It also stats Lycanthropes including werebears, boars, rats, sharks, tigers and wolves, which could be adapted.

Regarding the suggestion for videogame fighting characters used as inspiration, out redoubtable Susano has a number of these written up on his website: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsvideogame/videogamechar.html .

I really want the campaign to have the flavour of a wild Hong Kong Action Cinema feel. Does any one have any pointers to try to potray it in a role playing session? Also if anyone has any Chinese inspired mystical/magical Items they could send my way or just some ideas so I could build a few more that would be very helpful. I am a bit at a lose for some more equips for the players and NPC's.

Thanx

Wolfe-Chan

Well, for inspiration, you might check out the Feng Shui RPG, which has lots of really cool "Fu Schticks" that characters can learn to use. It also has a useful idea which could apply to a lot of different games, in that characters don't step on each other's archetypes. If you are the Big Bruiser, then NO ONE is as strong and tough as you are, and so on. The other main idea that you might take from Feng Shui is to apply HERO SFX ideas to combat. That is to say, in Feng Shui, if you knock the bad guy out, it doesn't matter if you did it with a punch to the head, or by leaping over the guy, running up a wall, flipping over backwards, landing on his shoulders with your hands, and then head-butting him upside down. Guy's unconscious either way. One way is obviously cooler.

Also, you might check around for the TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) game, as I remember it having a lot of fun animal archetypes inside. It really encouraged you to go with something distinctive (I'm a Spiny Echidna Sumo Wrestler) rather than generic (I'm a cat-man with karate). I think I once played a Platypus with Capoeira (kicks with poisonous hind leg spurs are nasty!).

Well, for inspiration, you might check out the Feng Shui RPG, which has lots of really cool "Fu Schticks" that characters can learn to use. It also has a useful idea which could apply to a lot of different games, in that characters don't step on each other's archetypes. If you are the Big Bruiser, then NO ONE is as strong and tough as you are, and so on. The other main idea that you might take from Feng Shui is to apply HERO SFX ideas to combat. That is to say, in Feng Shui, if you knock the bad guy out, it doesn't matter if you did it with a punch to the head, or by leaping over the guy, running up a wall, flipping over backwards, landing on his shoulders with your hands, and then head-butting him upside down. Guy's unconscious either way. One way is obviously cooler.

Oh, and for all those FS fans who use HERO:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/herosource/fu.html

Also, you might check around for the TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) game, as I remember it having a lot of fun animal archetypes inside. It really encouraged you to go with something distinctive (I'm a Spiny Echidna Sumo Wrestler) rather than generic (I'm a cat-man with karate). I think I once played a Platypus with Capoeira (kicks with poisonous hind leg spurs are nasty!).

If I were to play in a furry campaign, this is the sort of thing I would be doing. Or something like Earthworm Jim.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is some of My Characters in Herp Designer format

Here is the temple, shaolin monks, The Anicient(the head monk), And the Gardener(he is a very old and was the old head monk before the Ancient).

Please tell me what you think of them and if there is anything they might be missing.

Thank you, after reading through this I decided to read through my Usagi Yojimbo RPGs, TPBs, and thinking up new character ideas.

You are a very bad Wolfie-Chan, bad bad bad. Now I am concidering Anthropomorphizing my Champions of Vancouver Campaign for an episode. I just gotta figure out who should be what and cut loose from there.

Bad Wolfie-Chan gving the GM ideas.

QM

• 4 weeks later...

Well as my players have sort of vanished on me I have been taking a break from this campaign for a bit but now I am going to have to start doing some more bachground stuff and maybe a few short stories with my NPC team that is being trained at the temple.

I think I will write a story about how the Evil bad guy in the campaign is out to destroy the temple and how he is thwarted buy the NPC team. As well as the relationships between the members of the team and the Monks at the temple.

I will keep posting here about the background and if I get the Story off the ground.