Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DataPacRat

What goes in your heroing kit?

Re: What goes in your heroing kit?

Paper clips or hair pins or both!

You can fix any electric gizmo with those! ;)

Assuming you also brought some duct tape (previously mentioned) and some chewing gum :)

Guest HeroPink!

Assuming you also brought some duct tape (previously mentioned) and some chewing gum :)

Ya need those for electro-mechanicals. Pure electric/electronic just needs hairpins or paperclips. ;)

Chili Powder

Knife

Rubber Gloves

Butane Lighter

Protein Bars

Water

Non Scented Soap

Digital Camera with a minimum 16x zoom

5 Dollars in Change

100 Dollars in cash

Sock or stocking to be used as emergency mask

Disposable Cell Phone

Rope

Duct Tape

Why chili powder??

Mainly as a deterent to being tracked by scent. Any dog that gets a nose full of chili powder will not be tracking anything for a good long while. Powdered tear gas would be even better.

Mainly as a deterent to being tracked by scent. Any dog that gets a nose full of chili powder will not be tracking anything for a good long while. Powdered tear gas would be even better.

That's why tracking dogs have handlers, and are used in pairs. One gets a snootful, the dogs are switched, and the human keeps the "active" dog on a short leash.

That, BTW, assumes you've got a "bang-poof" trap set. If you just drop chili powder on the ground, the dog is aware of it LONG before it hits "ouch!" levels, and is trained to stop tracking, sit, and whine. The human handler carefully looks over the area, finds the powder, and takes the dog well out from the bad spot, and sets the dog circling to pick up the track again.

Yeah, they figured out what to do about that little trick long ago. It doesn't work against a well trained, or even half-way trained, dog.

Guest HeroPink!

If the voices in my head don't shut up, I'm going after 'em with a Q-tip again!

I love the sig! :thumbup:

That gets the HeroPink! Seal Of Insanity!!

hs2ttz.jpg

EDIT: OK, WTF is going on?? I can see the pic in the "Write the post" window, and in the "Edit the post" window, but it turns into "[]" in the post itself!! Is anyone else seeing the pic? Or are the boards flaky?

EDIT MORE: Hey, could someone---ANYONE tell me if they do or don't see the pic? So I got some idea WTFH is up?

from days in the army but you can never go wrong with:

550 cord

100 mile an hour tape (escintially green duct tape just tackier)

mre's are great to carey along too

survival knife (with all the goodies inside, match sticks, fishing line and such)

butane lighter

I hate "survival knives" they have no tang and break all the time. Go for a proper knife like a pig sticker or even a machette and sheath that has a pocket containing those things. Way better.

I love the sig! :thumbup:

That gets the HeroPink! Seal Of Insanity!!

hs2ttz.jpg

EDIT: OK, WTF is going on?? I can see the pic in the "Write the post" window, and in the "Edit the post" window, but it turns into "[]" in the post itself!! Is anyone else seeing the pic? Or are the boards flaky?

EDIT MORE: Hey, could someone---ANYONE tell me if they do or don't see the pic? So I got some idea WTFH is up?

Well, I can see it. OUCH!! Whimper, moan, whimper.

;)

That's why tracking dogs have handlers, and are used in pairs. One gets a snootful, the dogs are switched, and the human keeps the "active" dog on a short leash.

That, BTW, assumes you've got a "bang-poof" trap set. If you just drop chili powder on the ground, the dog is aware of it LONG before it hits "ouch!" levels, and is trained to stop tracking, sit, and whine. The human handler carefully looks over the area, finds the powder, and takes the dog well out from the bad spot, and sets the dog circling to pick up the track again.

Yeah, they figured out what to do about that little trick long ago. It doesn't work against a well trained, or even half-way trained, dog.

I suppose you would actually hide in the powdered area. The dog would never pick up your scent again. Or, you could go through a bottleneck or some kind a drop the chili. So, if they want to have the dog continue to follow your trail, they have to take the long way around or give up pursuit. Besides which, all of these scenarios buy you time, which is what you really need to get away.

Question:

Would the dog have to recognize the substance? How does the dog know its going to "blind" him so that he stops and whines?

Enigma has a few things in his utility belt:

- Sodium Pentathol

- Drug-laced cubes of beef (for guard dogs)

- $100,000 in uncut diamonds to be used for trade (in case we're stranded in

a foreign country/planet/dimension)

- $10,000 in U.S. currency (mostly large denominations)

Other stuff too, but the above is what I remember off the top of my head.

I hate "survival knives" they have no tang and break all the time. Go for a proper knife like a pig sticker or even a machette and sheath that has a pocket containing those things. Way better.

It SHOULD be possible to make a "survival knife" that won't just snap off, but I agree with you. wear a belt pack and carry a kukri or something instead.

Guest HeroPink!

Well' date=' [i']I[/i] can see it. OUCH!! Whimper, moan, whimper.

;)

Thanks for asnwering.

Don't worry, you're eyes will regenerate..

eventualy. :eg:

Question:

Would the dog have to recognize the substance? How does the dog know its going to "blind" him so that he stops and whines?

This is speculation, but the dog could easily notice some new scent is rapidly growing increasingly powerful. You can train the dog to stop and whine when this occurs. Given how much scent hounds depend on their nose, I wouldn't be surprised if instinct would reinforce this. After all, when you go from a dark room into the sunlight, do you squint, or try to open your eyes as much as possible?

This does not apply to the dog I had, as her synapse was occupied with other matters :doi:

This is speculation, but the dog could easily notice some new scent is rapidly growing increasingly powerful. You can train the dog to stop and whine when this occurs. Given how much scent hounds depend on their nose, I wouldn't be surprised if instinct would reinforce this. After all, when you go from a dark room into the sunlight, do you squint, or try to open your eyes as much as possible?

This does not apply to the dog I had, as her synapse was occupied with other matters :doi:

I open my eyes and stare at the light source, but I've been told I'm a few beans short of a burrito.

I open my eyes and stare at the light source' date=' but I've been told I'm a few beans short of a burrito.[/quote']

Don't get a job in a laser lab ;) On a more serious note, while you may open your eyes, your pupils are still probably contracting as quickly as possible.