Is there going to be a 5th edition version of Justice Inc.? Pulp Heroes maybe?

championsguru

One of the old Daredevils Adventures books (Lost World Tales I believe) even has conversion notes for Justice Inc.

Although I'd almost certainly pick up a 5th Ed. Pulp HERO, I don't really need it. Between FRED, Daredevils, 1st ed Justice Inc., Gangbusters, Adventure and possibly one or two others that have slipped my mind I think I've got the genre and period pretty well covered!

(The old Daredevils Adventures are highly recommended BTW. Converting from Daredevils to HERO is pretty easy and some of the adventures are pretty good.)

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Resource Suggestion

Steve,

If you haven't already, try to find Yesterday's Faces by Robert Sampson. It covers the entire pulp genre from westerns to mystery men. For example, turn-of-the-20th-century detective Nick Carter wore the prototypical crimefighter's utility belt. Also, the old pulp villains could match Iron Age villains atrocity for atrocity any day. Sampson called them "maimed madmen, deformed monsters, and foreign crazies".

extra copy of justice inc.

I happen to have an extra copy of justice inc. that needs a home. I also have lands of mystery. The Justice inc. game i am talking about has never been opened. i think picked it up in a hobby shop's bargain bin. my email is wayner2d2@yahoo.com Again, I never had to open it because I already owned the game. That means it has been sealed now since what ? '84 ?

Well, I'm back in the saddle again for my Pulp Hero game. Here's what I own and what I know of for materials. I always appreciate additional info if any of you have it.

I own:

Justice Inc

Lands of Mystery

Pulp Adventures (I.C.E Rolemaster supplement for those that don't know)

Places of Mystery (GURPS book)

Almost every AC Quarterly. I really need to figure out which one or two I am missing)

I am aware of:

Adventure!

Cliffhangers

Daredevils

Two-Fisted Tales

Gear Krieg?

So the question is, what else is out there? We've talked about Call of Cthulhu (and since we play at Hastur Hobbies that should be a big one). I'm more interested in period materials than in CoC's horror. If anyone knows chapter and verse on the books that would help here, I'd appreciate you posting it.

Am I missing any past or present pulp game resources in my list?

Thanks much

Hmmm..I don't recall MS&PE having anything too overtly pulpish but my memory could be failing. I can contact Loomis or Stackpole and ask on that one unless someone here remembers specifics. Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it.

Any others, folks?

Originally posted by Barghest

Hmmm..I don't recall MS&PE having anything too overtly pulpish but my memory could be failing. I can contact Loomis or Stackpole and ask on that one unless someone here remembers specifics. Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it.

Any others, folks?

The system itself wasn't terribly pulpy, but the adventures were. You can find descriptions of the adventures at the Flying Buffalo site.

Pacific Clipper I already own. I managed to forget that it was MSPE and didn't include it in my list.

The descriptions for Stormhaven, Raid on Rajallapor, and Adventure of the Jade Jaguar are rather vague. Anyone out there have these? Do they offer any pulp value?

• 2 weeks later...

Was Daredevils that old game from Fantasy Games Unlimited?

Oh man, does that bring back memories, including Villains and Vigilantes and Space Opera. Man, I knew I'd regret selling that stuff one day....

I do miss a good pulp action story, although I'd like to see a time period from about 1870-1930. It's a big span I know, but there's just so much interesting stuff happening in that time frame.

I have Stormhaven and Raid on Rajallapor. Stormhaven is like a "mysterious old mansion on an island" setting. Not necessarily Pulp, but since it was done when computers weren't prolific, it could easlily make a base for an adventure sponsor, things of that nature.

Raid on Rajallapor is kind of Indiana Jones-ish, and could easily be made into a Pulp adventure by downgrading/changing some of the technology. As a little bonus it also has a one of these adventure stories where you read a small numbered paragraph then "if you fight the guard, go to #49".

Both have good settings, polt suggestions, backgrounds and maps, and are easily convertible to Pulps. In fact, that was my initial impression when I first read thru them.

Well, I'm back in the saddle again for my Pulp Hero game. Here's what I own and what I know of for materials. I always appreciate additional info if any of you have it.

I own:

Justice Inc

Lands of Mystery

Pulp Adventures (I.C.E Rolemaster supplement for those that don't know)

Places of Mystery (GURPS book)

Almost every AC Quarterly. I really need to figure out which one or two I am missing)

I am aware of:

Adventure!

Cliffhangers

Daredevils

Two-Fisted Tales

Gear Krieg?

So the question is, what else is out there? We've talked about Call of Cthulhu (and since we play at Hastur Hobbies that should be a big one). I'm more interested in period materials than in CoC's horror. If anyone knows chapter and verse on the books that would help here, I'd appreciate you posting it.

Am I missing any past or present pulp game resources in my list?

Thanks much

Well, once upon a time there was Gangsters by FGU and Gang Busters by TSR. As the titles suggest they have gangland background information.

TSR also put out a briefly lived Indiana Jones RPG. Flying Buffalo put out a solo adventure called Tales of the Jade Jaguar that was pulp-era though I do not remember which game system it was for.

Did a little bit of remembering.

Mercinaries, Spies and Private Eyes was a pulp-era RPG put out by Flying Buffalo. Of course this is the game system that Tales of the Jade Jaguar was meant for. I never played the system but heard it was good.

Stormhaven

Stormhaven, by Michael Stackpole, has writeups for a mansion, island, security, and characters which are decidedly modern (at least, for 1983). However, the front cover, with an autogyro on the cover and Cthulu-esque stormcloud over the mansion, does seem very Pulp-ish.

IMO it wouldn't be that hard to change the mansion into a 1930s pulp setting. Scratch the underground lab entirely and pare down one or two elements in the actual basement level, and you're set.

Some background stuff (Prohibition-era history) could be used for plot seeds, and most characters could be modified to fit a pulp game without horrendous effort.

• 3 weeks later...

pulp games

Another "pulp" RPG (well, not really an rpg) that you might think about is "Crimson Skies", a great resource if you want to create a dashing aviator hero. It has an interesting "alternate history" background as well with a U S A where The Great Depression was much worse than we know it and the nation "balkanized". The rail system has ceased to exist (or is at least unreliable) and the skies are used for transport, and also piracy ! The creators (forgotten the names now, darn it !) did suggest that they were going to produce an R P G version of what is designed as a game for miniatures or counters. Novels set in the world of "C S " exist a;so and might be worth finding for research.

Re: Stormhaven

Originally posted by BoloOfEarth

Stormhaven, by Michael Stackpole, has writeups for a mansion, island, security, and characters which are decidedly modern (at least, for 1983). However, the front cover, with an autogyro on the cover and Cthulu-esque stormcloud over the mansion, does seem very Pulp-ish.

IMO it wouldn't be that hard to change the mansion into a 1930s pulp setting. Scratch the underground lab entirely and pare down one or two elements in the actual basement level, and you're set.

Some background stuff (Prohibition-era history) could be used for plot seeds, and most characters could be modified to fit a pulp game without horrendous effort.

I had this many years ago and recall it had lots of notes to adjust it from horror to espionage, change the time periods etc. So it should be easy, from what I remember it was a pretty good module.

I own:

I am aware of:

Daredevils

Edited for space

Daredevils was well done and includes good period info. I recently picked up the Daredevils bonus pack (new still in the shrinkwrap on a dusty back shelf of a game store).

If you can find that version it includes the whole run for the game in one box set.

Daredevils (rule book)

The menace beneath the sea

Lost world tales

Deadly coins

and

Supernatural thrillers

Each of the adventure modules focuses on a particular type of pulp adventure.