A Day in the Life Of...

DataPacRat

How often do you play out everyday situations, the sort that tend to be featured more often in sitcoms and soaps than in comics, with your Super-Powered characters?

"I don't know if I /can/ get my ears pierced, with my medical nanites doing their best to heal me all the time..."

"Yes, my music collection is a huge stack of vinyl records instead of an iPod I can fit in my pocket. You see, most digital compression techniques remove sounds that the human ear can't hear - but with my ultrasonic hearing..."

"I only sleep eight hours a week - which gives me 48 extra hours to... uh... um... hey, pass the TV remote, wouldja?"

"Bars are a lot less interesting when you have Immunity to Poisons, including alcohol."

"Yes dear, I know you don't have any lipstick on your collar - but you seem to have forgotten that I have Discriminatory Smell..."

Re: A Day in the Life Of...

In the case of Beacon, that was most of her point; that she'd be interesting to play even in everyday situations. Unfortunately, she seemed to bog down the game with her observations and interruptions for explanation of everyday phenomena, and it got kind of old after a while. She's a lot of fun to play, but frustrating the GM wasn't the idea.

Most other games, I get to journal the everyday occurrences, but rarely get to play them out.

Everyday situations...

I usually include some time during the session where the characters have to deal with their secret identities, but I usually limit it to the first hour or so, especially if the characters haven't immediately grabbed the plot hook and ran with it. I also fill time to the end of the session if the characters wind up finishing the final battle faster than I expected.

Current subplots running in my campaign --

1) One of the supporting cast of supers is suffering through some changes in her powers and has sought out one of the PC's for assistance.

2) The DNPC of another character is facing the failure of his business and is asking one of the PC's for financial assistance to prop the company up until he can "turn things around."

3) Yet another character is working through the rough spots in his relationship with his girlfriend, now that she knows that he's a superhero.

4) And the last PC of the group has started dealing with a fanboy who wants desperately to be a superhero and is starting to be a danger not only to himself, but everyone around him as well.

Sorry you don't get more opportunities to play out the issues, Alice. The best sort of campaign for that is a solo venture, which I've always enjoyed running. :)

Matt "Always-makes-the-characters-suffer-for-the-disadvantages" Frisbee

We tend to shy away from it a lot, but I do always incorporate something interesting about my character beyond their powers. Depending on what part of our group is there on a game night will dictate just how much "normal" is there. Certain players we have are just getting over the Hack'n'Slash hump and into actual roleplaying.

Sorry you don't get more opportunities to play out the issues' date=' Alice. The best sort of campaign for that is a solo venture, which I've always enjoyed running. :)[/quote']

I've been able to get into a couple of those, and I've had a little bit of that in Josh's PbP, which lends itself MUCH better to focusing on individual characters. But that's a Fantasy Hero, so that doesn't really fit the question as asked.

Ah, well. Someday. ^ v ^

I must be lucky and have really good players, because nobody complains when we sidebar to personal situations with only one character -- just so long as I don't take more than say ten minutes. Also, we have situations where just one hero is in the middle of the action, and the others are anxious to see what happens without complaining about the fact that their characters aren't participating.

Matt "Counting-my-blessings" Frisbee

Archived