Alternate Star Wars Chronology....

UltraRob

So, I was reading not too long ago that there was an alternate version of Empire Strikes Back once planned where Han died, Vader wasn't Luke's father, and Luke and Leia went separate ways (Leia with the rebellion, Luke off to study the Force and Jedi stuff). Eventually this would have turned into movies about Luke and his son (shades of Lone Wolf and Cub!) having movie adventures as they travelled the galaxy together fighting against the empire.

This chronology keeps rattling around in my head because it completely opens up the setting to a multitude of adventures. The Empire isn't destroyed, the rebels are still out there somewhere, Luke wanders the galaxy finding Jedi and helping others, and Vader is still alive! (To say nothing of the Emperor, and if you wanna kick out the Prequels, you can even have more than 2 Sith at a time!) A leaner, meaner and darker Star Wars universe, and ripe for gaming.

Rob

Re: Alternate Star Wars Chronology....

At one time a novel came out that had Luke and Leia not being brother and sister and landing on a planet and having to work together with strangers to stop the empire on that planet.

"Splinter of the Mind's Eye", written (and set) between Ep IV and V, before Lucas decided that Luke and Leia were siblings (said decision being made, as the story is told, during production of Ep VI...).

"Splinter of the Mind's Eye"' date=' written (and set) between Ep IV and V, before Lucas decided that Luke and Leia were siblings (said decision being made, as the story is told, during production of Ep VI...).[/quote']

I had forgoten the name of the book. Thanks.

Well, thanks to the Greedo shoot first incident I have a timeline of my own.

-Greedo kills Han.

which leads to:

Obi-wan and Luke dont get off planet, Leia doesnt get saved. Leia gets executed. Course the rebel alliance doesnt get found on Yavin. So the Rebels would still be in existence. Luke and Ben might eventually get off planet and join the rebels. But there is no Han and Leia (and maybe no Chewie, unless he joins up with Luke and Ben for revenge) But, Ben doesnt have that final showdown with Vader (or at least much later, and without the meaning that it originally had) Luke gets mostly trained by Ben instead.

Sorry, rant off.

I do have to say, it probably would have been a much better series. Without the father revelation, the sister one, and most definitely the only can be 2 revelation. I like the ideas.

By the way, am I the only one thanks to the prequels, sees that Obi-Wan comes off as prety much a pathological liar in the originals?

So' date=' I was reading not too long ago that there was an alternate version of Empire Strikes Back once planned where Han died, Vader wasn't Luke's father, and Luke and Leia went separate ways (Leia with the rebellion, Luke off to study the Force and Jedi stuff). Eventually this would have turned into movies about Luke and his son (shades of Lone Wolf and Cub!) having movie adventures as they travelled the galaxy together fighting against the empire.[/quote']

If memory serves, originally Han was slated to die in ROTJ, and of course Luke and Leia weren't siblings. So after overthrowing the Empire, Leia goes off to form a new government while Luke sets up on some remote planet to train a new generation of Jedi. (The latter may have happened anyway in the EU, I dunno.)

Then they pulled Han from dying and decided to blow up the Falcon with Lando piloting. Then they pulled out of that, too.

By the way' date=' am I the only one thanks to the prequels, sees that Obi-Wan comes off as prety much a pathological liar in the originals?[/quote']I don't know about Obi-Wan, but I've become pretty much convinced that George Lucas is a pathological liar...

;)

Ahh, yes. I'm wrong, it was ROTJ where that ending was supposed to happen. Still, an interesting alternate version, might have been better than the one we got, especially since it opened things up more for sequels of different kinds.

Rob

True, guys, it is a bit unfair to call Obi-wan a pathological liar. The old Ben was pretty much my favorite character. And I solely blame Lucas for the trashing of the character. Darn you Lucas!!

George Lucas, may you have a 30-pound kidney stone:nonp:

By the way, am I the only one thanks to the prequels, sees that Obi-Wan comes off as prety much a pathological liar in the originals?

Here's another alternate telling of the original trilogy:

When Luke goes abard the second Death Star he finds out that the Emperor actually does know the true nature of the force! While, he and Vader are angry types, they actually aren't the bad guys. Yoda, Ben, and Mon Mothma are evil clones and have twisted things. Luke's proof is in how Mon Mothma and her warrior cronies use the innocent, primitive Ewoks as cannonfodder in they're terroristic attempt to overthrow the Empire!

See everyone thought the Clone Wars were over, but the cloners just went into hiding and have been fighting a shadow war. They were secretly replacing all of the Senators, so the senate had to be temporarily disbanded until Palpatine and Vader could be sure of who was real and who was a replicant.

After fighting such a long war, Vader and Palpatine have become so twisted by they're own anger that they have gone down the dark path. Palpatine wants Luke, not to replace his father, but to help show the rebel fighters who is the true Phantom Menace. Along the way he must help his father and the Emperor, grandfather maybe?, regain their balance in the Force.

How's that?

Alternate endings to ROTJ:

- Vader does not save Luke. Two minutes later Lando blows up Death Star, killing the Emperor.

- Luke turns to the Dark Side, kills Vader and becomes the Emperor's apprentice. Two minutes later Lando blows up Death Star, killing the Emperor.

- Luke turns to the Dark Side, joins Vader and kills the Emperor. Two minutes later Lando blows up Death Star.

- Luke turns Vader and the Emperor away from the Dark Side. They begin to draft a decree to renew galactic freedom. Two minutes later Lando blows up Death Star, killing the Emperor.

Wait a second. Who actually overthrew the Empire here?

Alternate endings to ROTJ:

- Vader does not save Luke. Two minutes later Lando blows up Death Star, killing the Emperor.

- Luke turns to the Dark Side, kills Vader and becomes the Emperor's apprentice. Two minutes later Lando blows up Death Star, killing the Emperor.

- Luke turns to the Dark Side, joins Vader and kills the Emperor. Two minutes later Lando blows up Death Star.

- Luke turns Vader and the Emperor away from the Dark Side. They begin to draft a decree to renew galactic freedom. Two minutes later Lando blows up Death Star, killing the Emperor.

Wait a second. Who actually overthrew the Empire here?

LOL. Now, now, Lando isn't a main character--so of course he can't take credit. Han & Leia can have their fat pulled out the fire by a bunch of stone age aboriginal teddy bears, and get credit for a successful op. Luke can get microwaved by the emperor like a bag of cheap popcorn, and get credit for bringing down the empire. Them's the breaks! :D

You know, I'm with austenandrews on this. That's all you need for a great game set in the "Star Wars" universe: Doesn't matter what happens anywhere else, when Lando blows up the Death Star, everybody dies. Thus, there are no trained Jedi, no trained Sith, an Empire crumbling because the head has been removed, and Han & Leia are desperate to re-establish the Republic, and boat loads of Military Sector commanders with Star Destroyers itching to make a name for themselves... The Force has been balanced (because there's nobody left who knows how to use it), and now the players are the real driving force (heh heh), because you know every one of them will be Force positive...

We went the whole Japanese feel. Our game followed a timeline in which it’s revealed that the Emperor is in fact Vader’s father (non of this Mediclorian-sp?- crap.) Then Luke becomes the heir to the Empire, ultimately setting up his son, Jade Skywalker to claim the throne. The Jedi become his right hand, the Jinn-Di (followers of Qui-Gon Jinn become these sort of official “Grey-Siders”) become his left hand and the Sith become the Emperors—under hand. Ben Skywalker is the Head of the Jedi Council and is the CO if the Pc’s. He is ultimately at odds with his brother and the PC’s in true Godfather fashion have to wipe out their mentor/Emperor Jade’s brother and highest official.

Is Ben really a traitor, or was he set up…? You tell me. I did this prior to Episode III with d20 Star Wars, but would love to do it again with Hero….The original was soooo much fun, despite the crappy rule system…

:eek:

If this makes no sense, please forgive me, I am on cold meds right now:)

Hmmm, the idea of wiping them out and starting again does appeal to me too. Actually, as a WuXia fan I really dislike the whole "there is just Jedi/Sith who use the force in conjuction with their funky martial arts" thing. You mean in that vast galaxy nobody else figured out how to use the force over hundreds of thousands of years? Also, were the Jedi themselves originally one school? Or are they the results of many different schools of force using warriors almagmating together? (Perhaps to combat the Sith.)

Another note of my research into "semi official alternate versions that could have been" found a page that said the very original version of the "Sith" were an army of force-trained space pirates that Vader himsel trained and used as his personal army. So, even Lucas didn't originally concieve of there just being a handful of Force-Users out there, there just weren't many Jedi left!

Anyways, my point is, I like the idea of lots of rival schools of Jedi/Force Users running around the galaxy because it means lots of conflict and rivalries. More fun for PCs!

Rob