Enforcer's new Campaign!

Enforcer84

Well, I got tapped to run a Champions Game by my group. I have two new players and an old school player. We'll see how this goes. You all read my Brown Note thread so you know a little what I am dealing with. The power's not that effective and hopefully after the initial combat session (to get them familiar with the rules and such) it will be a non issue. The other chracter I got has some real promise. We'll see, he's the firefighter I drew last night. Basically the guy wanted to make a fire tanker from City of Heroes. He has a good but weak set of powers and a nice backstory. The guy who's actually played before will be difficult to deal with but I am aware of that going in. I just hope I can keep things moving and not be constantly fighting with the know it all and my GM who can be stubborn. We might have a fourth player and I'm not at all worried about him. But he recently had heart surgery and might not be up to playing.

Anyway, for a crash course in HERO combat mechanics, we're meeting tomorrow afternoon for a couple of hours. The set up is this, its Millennium Day in MC. Celebrating the "Day the city reopened" there are parades and such. VIPER is using these celebrations as cover for a technology raid/throw muscle around maneuver. They'd infiltrated an up and coming player in information transfer. Oracle Corporation, run by one time sidekick James "Circuit Board" Powell, VIPER is after technology that is 1000x faster than current "flash" technology. This would enable some serious industrial espionage and allow for quicker and more secure transfer internally. They have an agent on the inside and they have a well planned covert grab (no smashing required). The nest leader, very cautious in his planning hires two merc supervillains (Tachyon and Pulsar) to provide additional security.

The theft goes askew and things get very overt very quickly. Our heroes are there! They fight and defeat the agents and two supers and then (maybe)encounter Nadia Petrova, UNTIL agent commander who is the first non-cop on the scene.

That sound okay for a first quickie adventure? Sure it's the robbery thing, but it's almost tradition.

Re: Enforcer's new Campaign!

Sounds good...like you say, a classic...the only concern is you're taking on a lots of dudes to run...a passel of agents and two supers, as long as you won't bog down it should be fine, but you also need to consider that the new players will also need assistance ...but mowing down agents is good for their confidence, and it sets up Viper as a long term foe....

Nah, my heroes will face off against 5 agents and 2 supers. They should be fine.

Oh, and the GM dropped his Brown Note power as he didn't see a way to make it work on the HD trial version...:D I owe Simon one ...is that a bad thing?

Both my new Hero Guys want HD for real. I think I know what GM's birthday gift will be come November.

I don't know anything about it at all,

but I do know that one of the guys on my motorcycle board (in fact, the guy we just moved our board to his server) is a network guy who works from home. If it needs hands-on, he goes in, but apparently most stuff he can take care of on a secure connection.

That help?

Guest HeroPink!

Hey, someone want to help me out?

One of my heroes is a computer programmer in his secret ID.

I've decided that he's the network guy for a local company and works from his home. Any one here know anything like that or is that completely unrealistic?

It's called VPN: Virtual Private Network. Encyphers everything, runs it over the Internet. To the user it's like being in the LAN. Anything your character has permissions for on the physical LAN, he can do from home.

Good for anyone except "the network guy" who's got a lot of stuff he does physically (hook things up, detach stuff, flip switches). Maybe the web-site designer/maintainer?

Yeah, my company has some IT guys that work virtually as well. They typically handle only software related issues (password resets, error messages, etc.) Anything hardware related (like networking) would almost certainly require an on-site technician. So, it's a conceivable concept, he might just need to re-evaluate his character's role within the IT dept.

Hey, someone want to help me out?

One of my heroes is a computer programmer in his secret ID.

I've decided that he's the network guy for a local company and works from his home. Any one here know anything like that or is that completely unrealistic?

Most of my companies WAN Group works from wherever ... they're stationed all over the country and handle any Router or Networking Circuit we've got that goes between offices. These guys don't handle the servers though, that's up to localized IT.

So, if it's a large company all over the country or world (our WAN Group also handles our Canada Routers) then it's very possible he works from home but probably doesn't do much wih servers - just routers and circuits.

Good luck on the campaign, Enforcer84! Sounds like it'll be fun.

A great thought for those characters who wish to work their own hours from home -- freelance medical transcriptionist! After spending 8 hours in front of the monitor typing in medical-ese, a couple of hours fighting crime every night would probably seem like recess!

Matt "Already-has-an-NPC-doing-this-in-my-campaign" Frisbee

For an IT guy who works from home maybe he wrote and maintains a specialized internal software package for a large dispersed company. He might be on call for support for the software, but otherwise left alone to work on bugs and upgrades.

Maybe he'd have to take the odd call while on an adventure. He could use a cell phone and a headset. I could just see it now:

Hero: "Inter-Data tech support, Mike speaking. How can I help you?"

Villain: "What? Blast your cursed swing-line, I'll soon be free of it!"

Hero: "Have you tried closing the application and restarting it?"

Villain: "Ugh! You dare lay hands on Invictor?! I will teach you the meaning of pain!"

Hero: "ARRGH!" "Did you see any error messages pop up before it crashed?"

Villain: "NOO! You've crushed my Omni-Staff! DIE WORM! Hey, who are you talking to?"

Hero: "It sounds like you'll have to do a reboot." "Unghf!" "Let's try that and see if it loads the database again."

Villain: "Are you on the phone?! You DARE take a call while fighting INVICTOR?!"

Hero: "Whuf!" "Okay, it looks like the database connection is back, go to your file menu and see if it saved your last changes."

Villain: "PAY ATTENTION TO ME!"

For an IT guy who works from home maybe he wrote and maintains a specialized internal software package for a large dispersed company. He might be on call for support for the software, but otherwise left alone to work on bugs and upgrades.

Maybe he'd have to take the odd call while on an adventure. He could use a cell phone and a headset. I could just see it now:

Villain: "Ugh! You dare lay hands on Invictor?! I will teach you the meaning of pain!"

Villain: "NOO! You've crushed my Omni-Staff! DIE WORM! Hey, who are you talking to?"

Hero: "It sounds like you'll have to do a reboot." "Unghf!" "Let's try that and see if it loads the database again."

Villain: "Are you on the phone?! You DARE take a call while fighting INVICTOR?!"

Hero: "Whuf!" "Okay, it looks like the database connection is back, go to your file menu and see if it saved your last changes."

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Glacier

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

80 STR 40 25- Lift 1.6ktons; 16d6 [8]

8 DEX -6 11- OCV: 3/DCV: 3

0 CON -20 9-

40 BODY 48 17-

3 INT -7 10- PER Roll 10-

0 EGO 0 9- ECV: 0

50 PRE 30 19- PRE Attack: 10d6

4 COM -3 10-

10/18 PD 15 Total: 10/18 PD (10/18 rPD)

10/18 ED 12 Total: 10/18 ED (10/18 rED)

2 SPD 2 Phases: 6, 12

16 REC 0

0 END 0

Total Characteristic Cost: 89

Movement:

Running: 15"/30"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

227 Arctic Zone: (Total: 346 Active Cost, 227 Real Cost) Change Environment 16" radius, -1 Temperature Level Adjustment, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Conforming (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Mobile (+1) (94 Active Points); Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 63) plus Change Environment 8" radius, -2 Temperature Level Adjustment, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Conforming (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Mobile (+1) (86 Active Points); Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 57) plus Change Environment 4" radius, -3 Temperature Level Adjustment, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Conforming (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Mobile (+1) (79 Active Points); Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 53) plus Change Environment 2" radius, -4 Temperature Level Adjustment, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Conforming (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Mobile (+1) (71 Active Points); Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 47) plus Killing Attack - Ranged 1 point, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (16 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7)

16 Casual Effectiveness: +40 STR (40 Active Points); Only For Determining Casual STR (-1 1/2) 4

50 Eternal: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

30 Hard to Harm: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED)

40 Really Big Fists: Area Of Effect (up to One Hex; +1/2) for up to 80 Active Points of STR, Can be blocked by someone with STR 40+ (+0) (40 Active Points) 4

41 Seemingly Indestructible: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (72 Active Points); Doesn't Work against Fire/Sonics/Magic Attacks (-3/4)

34 Shockwave: Hole In The Middle (the hex the character stands in when he uses the power; +1/4), Explosion (+1/2) for up to 80 Active Points of STR, Only Does Knockdown, Not Knockback (+0), Side Effects (may cause considerable damage to the environment; +0) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Only Affects Targets On The Ground (-1/4) 6

45 Automaton (Takes No STUN (loses abilities when takes BODY))

SIZE, ENORMOUS

12 1) Greater Mass: +6 BODY

30 2) Greater Strength: +30 STR 3

36 3) Heavy: Knockback Resistance -6"

24 4) Long Legs: Running +12" (12" total) 2

10 5) More Impressive: +10 PRE

8 6) Reach: Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4)

18 7) Tougher: +6 ED

Talents

2 Ice Walking: Environmental Movement (no penalties on)

Skills

30 +6 with HTH Combat

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 653

Total Cost: 742

200+ Disadvantages

25 Distinctive Features: Gigantic Ice Monster (20' High) (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

30 Enraged: in combat (Very Common), go 11-, recover 8-

10 Physical Limitation: Can't Leap (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

15 Physical Limitation: Enormous, up to four times human size (8m, or 2.1-4"; -4 DCV, +4 to PER Rolls to perceive) Frequently, Greatly Impairing

15 Psychological Limitation: Short-Tempered (Very Common, Moderate)

25 Susceptibility: Fire, 1d6 damage per Segment (Common)

5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Sonics (Uncommon)

30 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Fire (Very Common)

387 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 742

Background/History:

Personality/Motivation:

Quote:

Powers/Tactics:

Campaign Use:

Appearance:

The above monster is what the heroes are facing today. Big, slow, does lots of damage, curiously vulnerable to their powers.

And I added a new player! When we played Mutants & Masterminds he created a military sniper with a suit of powered armor that let him turn invisible and had a powerful sniper rifle.

The character he made? A cyborg bad *** with invisibility and a sniper rifle.

I detect a trend. :D

Game two tonight!

Repped

And repped again. :)

Well, here's how things went tonight. In a vain attempt at imitating GoldenAge's superlative Front Page for his local newspaper I smashed together a WORD based monstrosity. The "Front Page" had two articles. One a blow by blow (including selfangrandizing first person descriptives) by James Duggan and one a boring "safe" peace about the Detroit Day parade by Colleen Sumners (one of the PC's girlfriend).

Colleen had spent much of the next four days going ballistic that Duggan got the big article because, like her, he was at the parade. (I've decided to make him an egocentric Geraldo-esque doofus) The hero, Sonic Boom was getting so tired of this he was thinking of staging something so she could report it. (She doesn't know he's a super). The other hero with a DNPC lacks a) a secret ID, and B) a superhero name of any kind. The third of the original three is something of a disgraced sidekick who had a decidedly adult relationship with her much older mentor that lead to a lost pregnancy and questions as to her origins (she fears she might be a clone). Finally, the newest hero didn't show so...

Anyway. The individual heroes had yet to try anything resembling a permanent group but they had each purchased com-link gadgets. So they could at least coordinate.

Also the Head UNTIL agent in the area, Natalia Petrova, had met the three and she would end up offering them the UNTIL superhero liason program.

So today, while his boss was still worried over the technology that had almost been stolen (I've dubbed it the Hermes Project), Sonic Boom saw basically a gigantic Ice Elemental smashing through Downtown Millennium City. The Champions are no where to be seen and four individual heroes: Cavalier, Stalwart, Kinetik, and Sai have proven quite uncapable of stoping it. Cavalier was hospitalized, Sai nearly got frostbite from her repeated hand to hand attacks, Kinetic was knocked through a building, and Stalwart was primarily protecting the civilians. His weaponry was quite ineffective.

Sonic Boom arrived first and found two things 1) his sonic attacks seemed up to the task and 2) his defenses were not. He got clobbered by a frost breat attack and fell to the ground. Rock Dove (the robinesque former sidekick) danced around a bit throwing blades, mini grenades, and such and saved Kinetik when the Living Glacier almost got him.

Note: two things i realized here: 1) I was being a bit unfair to Rock Dove. She really had no chance of hurting the creature. 2) SPD 2 Monsters are really easy to corral.

After the first turn had passed, Jack Carter finally appeared. Jack is the former fire fighter who basically became a FIre FIre Tanker (player was new to HERO but could understand things in a City of Heroes way, he built what he felt comfortable.

The fight went another three turns before the combination of Jack's Fire and Sonic Boom's sound beams shattered and melted the Glacier.

Fight over the players decided they worked pretty well together. Rock Dove met with Agent Petrova and was introduced to the Liason Program. She was asked to offer it to the others. Petrova also gave her a card for a superhero specialty store "Icon" (a rip off of the costume shop in City of Heroes)

Jack has officially and publically adopted the nome de gurre "Infurnus". His DNPC, his younger sister Kate, was visited by "police officials" asking questions about Jack after the VIPER agent bust last week. She got bad vibes off them. (set up for a VIPER confrontation soon). But at least he's decided to do something constructive with his life rather than drink his sorrows away :)

And because of finals, I will be running again next week!