Champions Jargon

Maccabe

Re: Champions Jargon

Unorthodox Ridge Hand Technique : Originated from a character called Tak Gora whose Killing Strike was defined as such, and which was described as a up behind and over the head downward chopping strike. The mental image was so ludicrous compared to the gobs of damage it inflicted in the context of the campaign that it led to any Attack that has a really implausible rationale compared to its effect being referred to as such.

Barney: Any large, dumb, clumsy character.

Favor the other one a bit: When hit locations are used, advice to players whose character has just suffered a severe injury to a body part they have two of.

Better roll a 3: Warning to a player that what they are trying to pull off is impossible, and should they fail there will likely be repercussions

Yoink!: Mandatory vocalization when using Martial Takeaway. MANDATORY!!!!

Pull a Jay: In honor of WilyQuixote from these boards (Jason in real life), who is the most absurdly lucky person anyone has ever met. Used to describe any scenario where a character attempts to do something statistically improbably to the nth degree, and succeeds. If it occured in the past then Pulled a Jay, obviously.

Pulling a Quickie: Named after the character Quicksilver whose player suggested that since we had just instituted the "natural 3 citical hit" rule we should also have a "natural 18 critical fumble" rule and then on his next attack roll...

you guessed it, rolled an 18.

SAW

Dice Lice: the tiny, horribly over-weight, creatures that GENERALLY scamper around War Eagle’s dice, their weight in the dice pips causing him to roll just the opposite of what he needs. Dice Lice can be, and usually, are contagious.

Picking Lint: the player is off on his own little adventure in his head. It also means a player who did not make the game. He is said to be Picking Lint.

Tick Turd: generally used by Sarge to indicate his frustration with either a character or player. Nine time out of ten this was directed at me.

SOF: for Soldier of Fortune. It indicates a particularly stupid move, like firing a LAW rocket from inside a closed up helicopter. A SOF move is always detrimental to the whole group rather than just the individual.

Screen doors on a submarine: mostly the same as SOF but generally a lot more dangerous to the group, like opening a hatch on a submarine a 1000 feet down.

Mist or Red Mist: killed by an overwhelming attack, like 24d6 haymaker on a normal. “He’s mist, Sarge!â€

I Shoot Him: a boring combat declaration heard so regularly from War Eagle it became a warning to players that they had better get more creative or the one XP for roleplaying was out the door.

Scads! - when a Skill roll is made by ten or more.

One of the weekly/bi-weekly games I run tends to be on the heavy side of roleplaying. We also have 750 pt plus characters that have been around since 1994. That said I also have to say that well over 1/3 to 1/2 (thats you ghost) of those points are contacts, skills, perks, and talents. This means that there are several rolls that come in at <35. Therefore some new terms, along with scads were made.

Lots: Making a roll by 5 or more

Scads!: Making a roll by 10 or more

Oodles!: Making a roll by 15 or more

For example:

The hacker of the group is hacking into corporation X. She has no landline access and is doing it entirely through the net/web (-1) is taking no extra time, and is doing it while being fired upon by demonic bovine gun-toting 8 foot tall opponents(-5 maybe even -8). The hacker has a total -9 and a starting roll of <38, therefore a roll of <29. Obviously she actually could and does hack in her sleep.

Corporation X has a good firewall utility(+2), a 24 hour watch manned by two people manually sifting through the packets with algorithms that look for "anomolies" (+8 for extra time and multiple eyes), however they are not superbrains and therefore only have a roll of <15 on their computer use roll. Base roll of <25. Security rolls a 13, making it by scads.

Hacker rolls a 6, making it by Oodles. Yep she just hacked on the fly.

I think I'm going to start a new thread. What are your skill level rolls? What mods do you place on them?...Damn, now I'm motivated.

Cluster F***ed: When a character takes such massive STUN/BODY after being hit by three or more different attacks simultaniously they either end up as Tomato Sause or in a Persistent Vegitative State (PVS). Example: "Wow, VIPER agent #2 just got cluster f***ed by Brickboy's haymaker, Zapper's EB, and Slasher's HKA."

Tomato Sause: When a character's BODY goes so far below -30 that they had to have been oblitorated. aka "Red Mist", "Splat!", and "Shower of Entrails"

Persistent Vegitative State (PVS): When a character's STUN goes so far below -30 that it's unlikely he/she will be back above 0 STUN by the time that evening's session is over. see also Sleeping Beauty below.

Sleeping Beauty: A character whose STUN is so far in the negative he/she can't possibly recover enough within one century game time to awaken. Often the result of being Cluster F***ed. Players of such character (female PCs in particular) often whistle "Someday my prince will come" while writing up a new sheet or retrieving an Understudy from their folders.

Redheaded Stepchild: Any character with ridiculously low defenses and/or CV. Said characters often end up as Tomato Sause or Sleeping Beauties.

Understudy: An alternate character perpared just incase current active character killed or ends up in PVS or as a Sleeping Beauty.

C-Lo! - rolling a 4-5-6 on three dice. (reference to the dice game C-Lo) No game effect.

having a drink at Chez Foxbat - taking enough stun to be at "GM's Option" (aka optionland). Unconscious characters are said to be sitting at the bar at Chez Foxbat waiting until they can come back (Foxbat bartends, natch). Sometimes the joke extends to arguments about what to play on the bigscreen TV (by default it's set to show the remainder of the combat). Particularly unlucky characters may run a tab.

The Obvious Trap - a theme restaurant used when PCs need to go out and meet an enemy or informant. Servers are dressed as ninjas, tables have a mocked-up 'self-destruct' button on them, etc. If the meeting requires something fancier, then it's held at Le Trap Obvieux (yeah, I know, it should be Le Piège Évident but nobody at the table speaks French but me.)

Cluster F***ed: When a character takes such massive STUN/BODY after being hit by three or more different attacks simultaniously they either end up as Tomato Sause or in a Persistent Vegitative State (PVS). Example: "Wow' date=' VIPER agent #2 just got cluster f***ed by Brickboy's haymaker, Zapper's EB, and Slasher's HKA."[/i']

Tomato Sause: When a character's BODY goes so far below -30 that they had to have been oblitorated. aka "Red Mist", "Splat!", and "Shower of Entrails"

I don't know what's worse. Three heroes simultaneously attacking an agent and obliterating him, or that it happens often enough you have a phrase for it.

She's a Bug: Automatic response to a new NPC who comes on-scene trying to be an ally of a PC, but is almost certainly not on the level. (Reference: Buffy TV series, in which one-shot characters that flirt with Xander inevitably have murderous intent; the Insect Demoness in particular.)

Player's Discretion: A generally undefined amount of negative STUN beyond -31. Used when the PC(s) pound the snot out of a given target when they had only a handful of stun left, putting them so far into the negative I don't have the motivation to do the math.

"You hit Wrecking Ball so hard, he's at Player's Discretion."

I don't know what's worse. Three heroes simultaneously attacking an agent and obliterating him' date=' or that it happens often enough you have a phrase for it.[/quote']

If you think that's disturbing, it was a female player who gave us the term Cluster F***ed. (thanks for that little chestnet, Alicia) BTW, A CF doesn't necessarily aways result in Tomato Sause.

PRANG- An attack that did not get beyond the characters DEF was said to have made this sound.

We used Ping ! for this. This was accompanied by raising the index finger as you said it.

We also had material built out of TFA which was usually the Def 30 Body 30 metal. If T stand s for Totally you can gues what the F stood for.

@$$handers award - extra XP given to the PC who had their @$$ handed to them in combat, preferably to help ensure that didn't happen again.

"Pipsed it!" (or, alternately, "pips tit!"...heh) - Rolling ones on damage dice.

Dead Bug - one shot stun/knockout

PaTING! - our version of "Prang"

Da da DAA!!! (if you know who Captain Chaos is, this was his theme) - used in conjunction with blind luck saves, or someone who does well in spite of his best efforts

Barney - the doofus of the group, usually a low-INT brick

I've always called them Viper agents. :)

*laugh* I'd rep you again except I'm empty right now.

"Glass cannons" is the phrase I'm used to, 'though I don't really use it for Champions. I think comes from some Napoleonic gonards I used to hang around with. Also in EverQuest it was used to refer to wizards.

ka-PING! - Yet another Prang. (Gotta point at yourself on the ka then point away for the ping.)

I must be doing something wrong as a GM -- my players have never actually killed any other character in a Champions game except by accident...maybe because I design their characters? :)

Here's a few more from my group's lingo:

Picked Up The Spare -- Tactic of one character mowing down multiple targets with an area of effect or explosion attack and another character with roughly the same speed (usually another energy projector) picking off any who are still standing after the initial attack. [From bowling terminology]

Brick Missile -- Any unusually large or heavy object which can be (more or less) easily picked up and thrown by the bricks in the party. Places where large numbers of such objects are readily available (such as car dealerships, a typical junkyard, construction site, etc.) are called Brick Gardens.

Brick Frisbee -- A manhole cover. (See Brick Missile)

Sheet Metal (Scrap Metal) Giftwrap -- The act of leaving an unconscious enemy bound or otherwise restrained in a temporary prison of metal debris for the authorities.

Skip -- Name given to any character (friendly or enemy) who suffers the indignity of being knocked back into a (usually large) body of water.

Keep it up, people...this is really fun!

Guest HeroPink!

Sinker: Any law enforcement or similar type who gets KO'd. This cause "cops like donuts" stereotype and a friend of a player who called donuts "sinkers."

Sunk: KO'd. From "sinker," but only cops and like are sinkers, but anyone can be "sunk."

pa-ZAP-o!: Did major damage to target, esp. with a EB/RKA.

I've been trying to think of any jargon that my group uses and drawn a blank until a suddenly remembered a phrase we sometimes make use of.

'The Champions go shopping'

It comes from several years ago when we were looking at all the hunteds and DNPC's that the Champions team had. I guess this was 4th edition, it's been a while. It refers to a scenario when only the characters disadvantages come into play, i.e. the Champions go out shopping and this is what turns up. It got mentioned at the time because the amount of extras that did arrive, supposedly as background to the main storyline, was a bit over the top.

FORD - An NPC designed to perform an action (such as gasping out important information) and then immediately expire. Found on Road, Dead.

Toon - A character that exhibited cartoonlike tendencies, either in construction or behavior.

Eggshell with a Hammer - variant of the glass cannon. Remember, if you want to swing the hammer, you have to protect the eggshell.

Hardboiled Egg - only heard it once, but the opposite of the preceding - a brick whose defense far outstripped his attack.

The reference to a player's stable of characters often earned its own name, not often complimentary. My own was Foster Farms, the dozen eggshells...