Mythos of the Werewolf

Edsel

Re: Mythos of the Werewolf

That's the James Whale/Boris Karloff take on Frankenstein's monster. Shelley's original was intelligent' date=' resourceful and cunning. He could speak German (and could presumably be taught other languages) and quoted Milton. Combine that with his superhuman strength and durability (he could survive in the deep Arctic with very little protection) and you have a truly terrifying adversary.[/quote']

It was also agile and fast-moving. A much greater threat than the tragic figure portrayed by Karloff (one of the first sympathetic portrayals of a "monster" I can think of in movie history (I'm pretty sure "son of Kong" was much later than Frankie).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was also agile and fast-moving. A much greater threat than the tragic figure portrayed by Karloff (one of the first sympathetic portrayals of a "monster" I can think of in movie history (I'm pretty sure "son of Kong" was much later than Frankie).

The fact that the monster posed a significant threat to his enemies made him no less a tragic figure. He did not ask for what happened to him, he was shunned and hated by his "father" and he was a perpetual outsider in the world of men and there was nothing he could do about it. The one question I asked myself after seeing the Kenneth Branagh/Robert DeNiro Frankenstein film was "Who's the monster, who the man?"

I wasn't talking about later portrayals. IANAFH*, I was only observing that the earliest instance of a sympathetic portrayal of any monster in cinema (that I know of) was the 1931 version of Frankenstein with Boris Karloff. I was making no claim that it wasn't possible to portray the monster sympathetically if it was the faster-moving creature described in the book (which I have read, though not recently). I haven't seen the versions of Frankenstein you are citing. I only saw the 1931 version a few times on Television when I was growing up..

* I Am Not A Film Historian.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a nineteenth century book called 'The Book of Werewolves' by S. Baring-Gould which provides a lot of information on pre-hollywood werewolf myths and associated stories about shapeshifters, cannibals and murderers. He touches on everything from berserkers to swan-maidens. You can download the book free from Project Gutenberg or the Amazon Kindle Store.

One set of legends which particularly stood out for me was about the werewolves of France. These werewolves, (Baring Gould calls them Lycanthropists), were people who willingly made a deal with the devil and were given the gift of a magical salve which could turn them, briefly, into wolves. In wolf form these devil-worshippers would hunt people, (often children), down and devour them. The only motivation I can remember for this behaviour is that the werewolves enjoyed it. In wolf form they didn't seem to have any powers beyond those of a natural wolf and Baring-Gould mentioned stories where quite young children managed to fight off one of the creatures. French peasants were apparently far more frightened of these demonic beings than they were of real wolves, however.

Also, I used to think that the idea of a werewolf as a wolfman came from Hollywood. But the picture on the front cover of the Book of Werewolves shows a huge werewolf standing upright with his right arm flung up at an angle that I don't think a wolf's leg could manage. So the idea must date back to the ninteenth century at least.

• 1 year later...

Most people believe that the werewolf's transformation during the full moon was a fabrication of hollywood when in fact that part of folklore has been around since the time of ancient rome through the writings of Petronius and in medieval times through the writings of Gervase of Tilbury....

In my spare time I have been working up a reasonable sounding mythos for common werewolf. I haven't gotten around to building an NPC werewolf yet and don't really know when I will. Below is what I have come up with so far. Anyone can feel free to steal it, criticize it, or make suggestions. This was not typed up with the idea of it being excellent prose, it is notes that I made before undertaking the design of a werewolf NPC.

--------------------------------------------

Werewolf, Common Lycanthrope

Damage done by silvered weapons (e.g. those with silver plating) may slow the regeneration but they will not halt it. Weapons must be primarily silver to prevent regeneration. For instance a wound caused by a silver edged sword will regenerate but probably at about half the normal rate. If the werewolf is brought to negative its BODY score by the use of such weapons it will die and not regenerate. On the other hand, a silver-filled blackjack will halt regeneration since the weapon is primarily of silver. The werewolf can be slain by burning the corpse or anything else that essentially disintegrates the body. The werewolf will not regenerate while actually on fire. If the creature is dismembered and measures are taken to prevent the various parts from rejoining the creature will likely die given enough time (GM’s discretion). If severed limbs are kept from the creature it will still regenerate them (though this will probably require more time).

Martyr’s blood is the certain bane of all werewolves. Martyr’s blood is the blood of a person who has given their live to save others. Martyr’s blood is understandably a very rare item and a difficult to obtain substance. The most likely source is the donated blood of a person who later sacrificed themselves in this manner. It would also be possible to obtain such blood from a savior who has recently fallen. Martyr’s blood acts as both an acid and a poison to the werewolf. Anything but the merest contact will kill any werewolf. The blood must be fluid and unspoiled in order to work.

Lycanthrope is spread by werewolves. Anyone who is injured by a werewolf, and survives, will transform on the eve of the next full moon. The injury can be very slight, only a break in the skin is necessary, suffering only 1 BODY damage will suffice. At the GMs option a wound that does not even inflict BODY may infect the victim (for instance the wound only does STUN but is still judged to have left an insignificant scratch). If the werewolf who has infected the victim can be slain before the next full moon the victim will be freed. Perhaps the victim could resist with a CON roll at a penalty?

Unresolved Issue: Can a werewolf be slain while in human form? If yes, then that is another way to kill them. If not, then what happens when you try?

Lastly, there is one other thing that can kill a werewolf. Werewolves have a tremendous appetite. The process of transformation consumes an enormous amount of energy and if the werewolf does not eat soon after changing they will literally die of hunger. Hunger is extremely painful to a werewolf and this ravenous craving is the reason that they are driven to kill and eat any living creature that they encounter. Werewolves do not have to eat humans in order to survive but since they live near human society people are often the first living creatures that they encounter. The drive to eat is so great that the animal part of the creature takes over. Many a werewolf is engulfed by angst once their hunger is sated and they realize what they have done. Often new werewolves will attempt suicide only to discover that they cannot kill themselves due to their regenerative abilities. Once they revert to human form they hope that the curse has been lifted only to transform, and kill, again. Some eventually figure out how to kill themselves and some learn to deal with their new existence taking on a secret life on the periphery of society.

A newly turned werewolf has no control over his transformation. On the three nights of the full moon (the night before, the night of the full moon and the night after) they will transform. At the rising of the sun they will transform back into human form. As a result the Shape Shifting ability of a new werewolf is bought with the limitation Only During The Full Moon (-1½) and they have the Disadvantage of Accidental Change (Uncommon, Always).

A werewolf can buy off the limitation with experience points. This means that an older, experienced, werewolf can learn to control his transformation to a degree. He will be able to assume his werewolf form at will but will still be forced into that form during the nights while under the full moon (the moon must actually be up to force them into the bestial form). An experienced werewolf will have also learned to eat a heavy meal before the full moon or before he intends to transform and this will stave off the uncontrollable hunger.

Werewolves are pack creatures and if left on their own a werewolf will feel compelled to create their own pack but not to the point of risking their own safety. Certain, strong willed, individuals resist the compulsion all together. Usually such a pack ranges in size from six to twelve individuals but much larger packs are possible. This compulsion is a disadvantage, it is a Psychological Limitation (Pack Mentality, Common, Moderate) and all werewolves have it.

A pack of werewolves will have a leader. The leader is usually the individual that created all of the other members of the pack. The leader usually is pretty selective about who she creates to be a part of their pack and thus can rely upon their obedience. The leader is also more experienced and powerful than the pack members that they have created. However occasionally there is a power struggle which will shuffle leadership positions or cause a member to leave the pack to form his own.

Technically, a werewolf does not have to be an evil creature. They are tainted by darkness which is why silver, a pure metal, can harm them. However there are individuals who have adapted well to their curse and turned it into an asset or even a power that can be used for good. But, such creatures are the exception to the rule and are exceedingly rare. Normally the horror of being turned and the atrocities that they commit before being able to control their bestial nature drive many of them a little mad. In the best case scenario a person who is infected realizes what is happening to them self and takes precautions or has help from others who understand. Such a person may avoid becoming a murdering creature of darkness.

-------------------------------------------

The above is a mixture of my own memories of classical werewolf stories, information from the games, Chill, Bureau 13, Horror Hero, and assorted other sources that I can't think of right now.

In addition to the common werewolf I also have some ideas for a couple of variants; the Loup Garou (who transforms via the use of a wolf skin) and the Loup Du Mal (essentially a very powerful form, which is very attractive in human form).

in tv's monster force luke Talbot larry Talbot's grandson became the wolfman under a full moon but could transform at will at other times

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Mythos of the Werewolf Just a few thoughts on the subject... This sounds like you're mixing vampire lore with werewolf lore, but I could be wrong. Lycanthrope should be treated as a disease, IMO....

The notion that werewolf's are diseased rather than a cursed is relatively modern. It works, esp. in our scientifically minded culture - modern man has replaced monsters with men-in-black, pandemics, and technological terrors - but early werewolf myths weren't disease-vector oriented. It was a curse and not always a contagious one. Some early versions of the myth even included the notion that werewolves were witches who drank a specially prepared transformation potion, or gave such a brew to a werewolf. There is a similar myth about were-tigers in India. Its far from universal, of course - and people can do it however they want. Variety is good!

When I've run werewolves I've had it be hereditary, but with the twist that a bite means the born-were can "call" the victim on the next full moon - basically, forcing a transformation. I also treat it as communicable: comingling blood or intimate fluids with a were can also render a normal human "callable." However, in both cases, I treat this as a temporary state of affairs, usu. only lasting until the next full moon.