Daily Art Findings

Eosin

Re: Daily Art Findings

The advantage of digital art is that once you've done your modelling, you can rerender to your heart's content: after posting the first image, I wondered what the armour would look like in traditional Iron Man colours and you know, I think it's not bad. What'd ye reckon?

Cheers, Mark

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The advantage of digital art is that once you've done your modelling, you can rerender to your heart's content: after posting the first image, I wondered what the armour would look like in traditional Iron Man colours and you know, I think it's not bad. What'd ye reckon?

Cheers, Mark

Nice! I would have added transparency to the eye coverings, but that would be nit picking.

The advantage of digital art is that once you've done your modeling, you can rerender to your heart's content: after posting the first image, I wondered what the armour would look like in traditional Iron Man colours and you know, I think it's not bad. What'd ye reckon?

Cheers, Mark

Nice! How hard was it to change the suit colors? I'm curious to see how Royal Blue & Silver would look. :)

Nice! How hard was it to change the suit colors? I'm curious to see how Royal Blue & Silver would look. :)

Color changes are actually pretty easy depending on how the color is being applied. If it is via the material room, it is as simple as choosing a different color. If it is on the texture, than it has to get painted on, but there are shortcuts for that too.

Relatively simple - as RPmiller noted, it's just a matter of changing a few settings. To put it in perspective, the first picture took a couple of hours, mostly to assemble and pose the model and then export it to Bryce (I like that for rendering because of better control of light/atmosphere). In Bryce, I coloured the model it and rendered several different lighting setups to find one I liked.

The second picture took about 7 minutes. I hadn't bothered to keep the original render file, but I did still have the model. So I had to start with Bryce again, import the model, recolour and re-render. For a relatively simple model like this, no biggie.

As for the model itself, it's a mixture of commercial armour parts, free armour parts and a few simple doodads I did myself to make it look more "power-armour-y" (it started as near-future SWAT-style armour) and a wee bit of photoshop touch-up.

This is kind of off-topic for the FH forum, but it applies equally to fantasy images. I think of poser a bit like plastic modelling: over the years I've built up a big "bits box" of items that might be useful and I can usually whack them together to make whatever I want. Carrara is where I make custom add-ons for the bits box, with photoshop filling the role of modelling putty to cover any unsightly gaps :D

cheers, Mark

tick-demon.jpg

This is just a doodle I did in Photoshop last night - it's mainly an exercise in lighting and reflection, and not terribly successful at that. What the heck. It is what it is.

I suspect this thing might be finding its way into my campaign sometime soon, hopefully to the dismay of my players :)

This is an oil painting commission I've been working off and on during the last couple of weeks. A Forgotten Realms Drow. Finally dry enuff to slap on the ol' scanner.

I'm quite pleased with how it came out. I owe Alan Pollack huge props for letting me come over to his house and watch him paint for a few hours. I took several of his techniques and materials when doing this painting and it was the most fun I've had painting since art school. So much easier that my usual struggles.

I think this would make a nice cover. It has not been published. So, if anyone has a need for a drow on a cover, let me know. It will be a lot cheaper than commissioning a new cover.

storn.cook@gmail.com

Draow72.jpg

This is an oil painting commission I've been working off and on during the last couple of weeks. A Forgotten Realms Drow. Finally dry enuff to slap on the ol' scanner.

I'm quite pleased with how it came out. I owe Alan Pollack huge props for letting me come over to his house and watch him paint for a few hours. I took several of his techniques and materials when doing this painting and it was the most fun I've had painting since art school. So much easier that my usual struggles.

I think this would make a nice cover. It has not been published. So, if anyone has a need for a drow on a cover, let me know. It will be a lot cheaper than commissioning a new cover.

storn.cook@gmail.com

Draow72.jpg

That's a beauty Storn