Artwork in the Predators book

Wildcat

Re: Artwork in the Predators book

The art in all the new hero products is just not as good as in the old books and modules. I loved the lay out of the old enemies books. Characters pictures are cluttered up on the page with text. The art is of poor quality. The same pictures show up over and over in differant books. In a super hero game I always felt it was important to have pictures of the bad guys and heroes so I have collected lots from lots of differant games. Even Pulp hero is stuck with poor quality art. Now instead of just bashing I have some friendly suggestions to Steve. I would think about the type of book and what style I wanted to get across. Then I would look to hire someone that fits that style. I would generally look for people who know how to draw muscles with firm clean lines like in many fine comics. The way the character is standing or doing things is also important. I would try and develope friendly relations with some one at the various comic companies. They maybe be able to reccommend some young cheap talent not quite ready for full time comic work that you could use. Lastily please consider putting a reminder on the boards that fans can send in art. Perhaps even have a contest or something to get lots of enteries for new stock pictures. Prize is being published in a book and given credit. Anyway I did love the Predators book though great bad guys. Thanks Ferret.

Re: Artwork in the Predators book

The art in all the new hero products is just not as good as in the old books and modules. I loved the lay out of the old enemies books. Characters pictures are cluttered up on the page with text. The art is of poor quality. The same pictures show up over and over in differant books. In a super hero game I always felt it was important to have pictures of the bad guys and heroes so I have collected lots from lots of differant games. Even Pulp hero is stuck with poor quality art. Now instead of just bashing I have some friendly suggestions to Steve. I would think about the type of book and what style I wanted to get across. Then I would look to hire someone that fits that style. I would generally look for people who know how to draw muscles with firm clean lines like in many fine comics. The way the character is standing or doing things is also important. I would try and develope friendly relations with some one at the various comic companies. They maybe be able to reccommend some young cheap talent not quite ready for full time comic work that you could use. Lastily please consider putting a reminder on the boards that fans can send in art. Perhaps even have a contest or something to get lots of enteries for new stock pictures. Prize is being published in a book and given credit. Anyway I did love the Predators book though great bad guys. Thanks Ferret.

The idea of having fans submit art seems like a good one.

I am sure there is some way they could set things up so that DOJ would have the legal rights to the art.

Perhaps they could make some type of token payment ($1) and have the artists sign a release.

I think there are plenty of good artists around that would be thrilled to have their work published in a game book.

It shouldn't be that hard.

I remember a post where someone said that when they needed art for a book, they would give the artist a description of what they needed:

"Supervillain, inside a lab, standing over several injured technicians."

If they could post those, well in advance of when they needed them, they could just see what was submitted.

If it was all crap, they could still hire it out as they have in the past.

I just think there must be some way to get better, or at least more appropriate, art, without paying a lot more money.

This way would involve the fans, as well, and could even draw business.

I know that if someone in my group had a piece of art published in a RPG book that a lot of friends would buy it just for that.

And, it could draw some of those people into Hero.

KA.