Bubble gum crises to hero

Scion Zane

Hello all this is my firt time creating a thread.

Has any one wrote any thing up for bubble gum crises?

I have run BGC. (bubble gum crises) in cyber punk befor they came out with the stats in fusion. My friends and I have bean talking about a hero version.

I will post what i came up with in lator posts.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Bubble gum crises to hero

I played around with this once long ago (pre 5th Edition). The most I ever did was write a set-up for the Mk I suit worn by Priss. It is attached as a Word document. This is only a very rough work-up and I didn't get any further than this but perhaps it can act as a starting point.

If anyone has done anything else, I too would love to see it.

I have yet to try tackling BGC to HERO. However, if you want the next best thing, hop over to the HERO on-line story and pick up Kazei 5 (for 4th Edition), which has notes on cybernetics, cyborgs, hardsuits, mecha, and a few sample cyberdroids.

BGC was developed as an RPG by R. Talsorian Games -- this was a crossbreed system of Mekton Z and Fuzion. It is utterly and completely out of print. If you would like my interpretations of the suits as presented in that system, I will work on it, though don't take my work as canon. :)

Matt "Still-mackin'-on-Nene" Frisbee

I have all of the R. Talsorian BGC books. They are beautiful but I really did not care for the system. It was also a very daunting task to translate into Hero. I dabbled with it a while and gave up. If you came up with a workable conversion system my hat's off to you.

As with many anime series that have been around for a while, there is a question of what you choose to use.

The 1986 Bubblegum Crisis OVAs are sheer classic: a combiantion of gee-whiz high-tech action and utter paranoia. GENOM was so important to the world's function, and so powerful, that bringing it down would have wrought untold social and economic devastation. Yet they were undeniably a threat to the continued survival of homo sapiens, so you couldn't let them go unchecked either.

There was a later TV series, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, that told an alternative version of the story. A lot of it was told through the eyes of Linna, an Office Lady who reluctantly becomes the fourth Knight Saber (with Priss kicking and screaming every step of the way).

waay back when, Doug Garret ran a nice star hero campaign inspired by BGC. We used vehicle writeups for hardsuits which seemed to work well, given the massive amounts of firepower that ended up getting tossed around fairly regularly.

I remember the holdout pistols were 4d6 KAs and were used only as an absolute last resort when out of armor...

As with many anime series that have been around for a while, there is a question of what you choose to use.

The 1986 Bubblegum Crisis OVAs are sheer classic: a combiantion of gee-whiz high-tech action and utter paranoia. GENOM was so important to the world's function, and so powerful, that bringing it down would have wrought untold social and economic devastation. Yet they were undeniably a threat to the continued survival of homo sapiens, so you couldn't let them go unchecked either.

There was a later TV series, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, that told an alternative version of the story. A lot of it was told through the eyes of Linna, an Office Lady who reluctantly becomes the fourth Knight Saber (with Priss kicking and screaming every step of the way).

Trust me, he's talking about the original OAV series. We didn't much like 2040. As a series, it was pretty decent, but it was no BGC, thats for damned sure.

I own both series on DVD but I do prefer the classic stuff over the revamp.

I agree with your idea of boosting STR by 15. If you do some more work on this stuff I'd like to see what you come up with. You have gotten me interested in this again but alas I am about to start a Dark Champions campaign so I have little time to work on BGC.

Priss`s hard suite Type 1 first season

All are part of OAF-1/2

Targeting computer: 3 over all combat skill levels 27pts mines limm. = 18pts

Optics:

Ultraviolet Perception: 10pts =5pts

Infrared Perception: 10pts = 5pts

Night vision: 5pts +5 to perception, =2.5

Flash defiance: 5pts =2.5

Telescopic 6pts: =3pts +4 for Rmod sight group

Radio perception: 10 pts = 5pts

Increased arc of perception: 240 5pts

Built in skill find weakness Boomers only: 10pts for 11- + another 25pts for a +5 = 18pts

Str : + 15 for 15 pts =5pts

Body: +5 for 10pts = 5pts

Spd: +1 10pts =5pts

Armor: 16pd 16ed = 36pts Hardened +1/2 for pd and Ed =54pts = 27pts

Damage reduction: 50% resistant 30pts physical and energy =60pts =30pts

Run : 36pts + 18” = 18pts

Leap: 30pts +30” = 10pts

Weapons

Arm needlers : 2d6k 30pts + ap + ap= +1 penetrating + 1/2 auto fire (3) +1/4 charges (12) -1/4 = 47pts

Knucle bombers: hka 4d6+str 60pts charges(4) -1 = 27pts

Leg Bomber: Hka 5d6+str 75pts charges(4)-1 =34pts

S-mine: shape charge 4d6K +ap 1/2 =90pts charges (4)-1 =36pts

Total pts 290

This is one of the hard suits I did

Sorry if my math is a bit off

im also sorry if this is not to the real specks but all this is from memory do to my origanal information went missing

Here is some artwork to go with the write-up. But I don't think this is the Mk I suit. It is either Mk II or Mk III. Or perhaps the artist left off the knuckle bombers.

priss02_c.gif

I may try to put all of this data into a Hero Designer file if I can spare the time.

yes thats the suit exsept i for got it did not have the leg bombers yet

the knucle bombers are on the left hand. o crap i for got the impact canon thats on the right hand

very good pic of it

I did not put flight on it because the only suite that had flight was Cyclia`s suite. all the others had jumpjets. and i for got the power source lol

Wow, SZ. The damage on those Knuckle Bombers are a bit high don't you think? They're made to destroy boomers, not Zaku's!

I would go with a 3D6 HKA (30) with Pen x2 (+1/2) and X Charges (I forget how many charges it had...3? 6?) and STR does not add (-1/2)

I'd make the Leg Bombers 4D6 HKA (there are 5 shaped charges on the leg vs only 3 on the Knuckle) Pen x2 and Double Knockback (its an explosive kick after all) Str does not add of course.

The reason Str would not add is because its a shaped charge. The damage all comes from the explosive and has nothing to do with Str. The Vibroblades on the other hand, do get the benefit of added Str.

Oh, and I believe I have all the BGC Rpg books here somewhere if you want to borrow them for more writeups...

This could be a fun project.

I'm all about those Motoslaves.

That's the Mark 3 suit. The knuckle bombers are on the same hand as the cannon. The weapon on the other hand is called the knuckle guard. It is an electro-magnetic weapon that disrupts boomer circuits on impact rather than destroying them.

By the way, for those with a taste for the utterly wacked, try finding something called Scramble Wars. It was made in the late '80s, and featured the casts from most of the important AIC OVA series up to that time (incluidng Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force and Genesis Survivor Gairath) is a cross-country race. It featured a lot of slapstick and mayhem, as well as some canny satire on the characters (like Nene and Linna going into utter boy-crazy gaga bliss).

It was paired for video release in the US with Ten Little Gall Force, a satiric "making of" video on the first two Gall Force OVAs as if it were being filmes like a live-action film, complete with bloopers, effects disasters, and wardrobe malfunctions. It was apparently made as something to tide over the fan base while Gall Force 2 faced severe production delays.

Yes I was talking about the origanal BGC.

2040 was ok had a few neat ideas but it was just a rewrite of the orignal series. Just to bring it back to the public veiwing.

Actually - it was a rewrite so he could finish the story - since the original was canceled. Bubblegum Crash! was a mostly hurried production to add an ending to the series. Toshimichi Suzuki created all of them, and when given an opportunity to realzie the full story jumped on it.

The biggest difference in 2040 from the original is that Sonoda did not do character design, and thus the characters are radically different people.

Either way it still wasn't "just a rewrite to bring it back into public view" it was a rewrite to tell the full story without looking rushed.

That said - it is both the same story and a different story. A lot of the themes brough up in the original look dated, so it needed a bit up modernizing. And seriously - it would have sucked hard if it were just the same thing re-animated.

There are things I like about both series and things I dislike... needless to say I'm a huge fan of the series and own the a set of pre-production copies of the Original BGC Series DVDs mode>.

Actually - it was a rewrite so he could finish the story - since the original was canceled. Bubblegum Crash! was a mostly hurried production to add an ending to the series. Toshimichi Suzuki created all of them, and when given an opportunity to realzie the full story jumped on it.

The biggest difference in 2040 from the original is that Sonoda did not do character design, and thus the characters are radically different people.

Either way it still wasn't "just a rewrite to bring it back into public view" it was a rewrite to tell the full story without looking rushed.

That said - it is both the same story and a different story. A lot of the themes brough up in the original look dated, so it needed a bit up modernizing. And seriously - it would have sucked hard if it were just the same thing re-animated.

There are things I like about both series and things I dislike... needless to say I'm a huge fan of the series and own the a set of pre-production copies of the Original BGC Series DVDs mode>.

I bought the BGC 2040 "boxed" set for $39.99 used. I haven't seen any of it, but now really want to sit down and start watching it. I will admit, however, I'm not crazy about the new designs. Having Ifurita run the Knight Sabers is a bit jarring.

Guest Admiral C

By the way' date=' for those with a taste for the utterly wacked, try finding something called [i']Scramble Wars[/i]. It was made in the late '80s, and featured the casts from most of the important AIC OVA series up to that time (incluidng Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force and Genesis Survivor Gairath) is a cross-country race. It featured a lot of slapstick and mayhem, as well as some canny satire on the characters (like Nene and Linna going into utter boy-crazy gaga bliss).

I still have a copy of this somewhere. The robots that think the land mines are flowers are hilarious. :D

I bought the BGC 2040 "boxed" set for $39.99 used. I haven't seen any of it' date=' but now really want to sit down and start watching it. I will admit, however, I'm not crazy about the new designs. Having Ifurita run the Knight Sabers is a bit jarring.[/quote']

I know what you mean there .. Sylia is about the only character design I can say I flat out hate. In the original you got an idea that she was ruthless and calculating ... in this one, well I won't spoil it unless you want to really know.

I have to say I like the new Nene as much as the old - of course they did more with her this time. Linna also gets more development as is much cooler than the original IMO.

Priss is .. well, Priss.

I bought it as it was released and some of the discs have some cliffhangers that drove me nuts as I watched it - that was the last time I bought a series before it was all out ... waiting weeks on end to resolve some of those cliffhangers nearly killed me.