The Death Note and How To Stop It

Michael Hopcroft

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Death Note and How To Stop It

Death Note is really a great psychodrama. It's pretty enjoyable to see how Light Yagami's mind works and how he copes with opponants that have the ability to outmanuever him.

But still, Light is a megalomanic in the classic sense. Believing he is the only one who knows what is right in the world. And that everyone else is to be used or herded around like sheep. He's dangerous to the extreme because he uses his power to kill based on pure whim. There really is no logical reason to that maniac's methodology. He's beyond the realm of vigilantism and deep into classical supervillain style insane plotting. And his arrogance is beyond any possible concept of reason.

On Cartoon Network, I'm expecting that this episode airing tonight will be the ender for the series. That one of his people is finally just going to blow him away. We will see.

• 2 weeks later...

Death Note is really a great psychodrama. It's pretty enjoyable to see how Light Yagami's mind works and how he copes with opponants that have the ability to outmanuever him.

But still, Light is a megalomanic in the classic sense. Believing he is the only one who knows what is right in the world. And that everyone else is to be used or herded around like sheep. He's dangerous to the extreme because he uses his power to kill based on pure whim. There really is no logical reason to that maniac's methodology. He's beyond the realm of vigilantism and deep into classical supervillain style insane plotting. And his arrogance is beyond any possible concept of reason.

On Cartoon Network, I'm expecting that this episode airing tonight will be the ender for the series. That one of his people is finally just going to blow him away. We will see.

I liked the ending. Emotionally at least, Light got what he deserved in some ways. :eg:

Anyhow, I have to disagree on their being no logical reason to his methodology. Insane yes, but logical. Basically, he killed the evil criminals and anyone who stood in his way (FBI, and other authorities). And any follower was a mere pawn that was expendable if/when need be.

So, I am still wondering what happens if you run out of pages? :doi:

***SPOILER ALERT*****

I have thought since the episode that it does leave a few holes.

1) Light dying like he did (Ryuk doing it) does leave the possibility that the investigators may think one is still out there loose (though they could assume it was the shinigami's doing, L and his successors were too thorough to not wonder some. Though they could test, or eventually after a while assume the "other" one went into hiding or disappeared or was the shinigami. Note: I am referring to one of Light's bluffs about whether they were both real as far as helping put doubt.

2) What about Misa? Yes, I have read up on things that happened in the manga. But, basing on the anime. Was she committing suicide at the end? If not, what does the investigation team do with her?

3) How to handle the public? What do they say of Kira's demise? Do they reveal the identities of Light and Mikami? Or should they keep that quiet? Remember Light's mother and sister, it might be best considering they have lost of father/husband and brother/son for them not to know Light was such a b@stard. (I guess you could say Mikami was Kira, and Light died in the line of duty, I dont know)

4) So, what happens to the 2 notebooks (My theory: In a crate in a warehouse next to the Ark of the Covenant. ;) )

*****END SPOILERS********

Excuse me, now I have a hunger for apples. :P

I liked the ending. Emotionally at least, Light got what he deserved in some ways. :eg:

Anyhow, I have to disagree on their being no logical reason to his methodology. Insane yes, but logical. Basically, he killed the evil criminals and anyone who stood in his way (FBI, and other authorities). And any follower was a mere pawn that was expendable if/when need be.

So, I am still wondering what happens if you run out of pages? :doi:

As I recall, the book has an infinite number of pages. You can never 'run out'.

4) So, what happens to the 2 notebooks (My theory: In a crate in a warehouse next to the Ark of the Covenant. ;) )

More like it'll be set on that special bookshelf. The one with the original unedited copy of Champions that tells you how to create real superpowers in yourself, the other remaining copy of the Liber Terribilis, the draft of the Constitution that includes the signatures of Adam Weishaupt and the Comte de Saint-Germain...

And as I recall, was at least planning on moving on to those that didn't meet up to his "standards" whatever those might have been.

As I recall, the book has an infinite number of pages. You can never 'run out'.

More like it'll be set on that special bookshelf. The one with the original unedited copy of Champions that tells you how to create real superpowers in yourself, the other remaining copy of the Liber Terribilis, the draft of the Constitution that includes the signatures of Adam Weishaupt and the Comte de Saint-Germain...

You mean Steve Long gets the Death Note. :D

Well, at least we now know what happens to posters who get banned. :eek:

So' date=' since Light cant go to Heaven or Hell. What happens to his spirit. Does he just chill with the shinigami for eternity? :P[/quote']

Well, according to the show, it goes to the Void -- all gone, nothing left. No afterlife for you, Light.

2) What about Misa? Yes, I have read up on things that happened in the manga. But, basing on the anime. Was she committing suicide at the end? If not, what does the investigation team do with her?

3) How to handle the public? What do they say of Kira's demise? Do they reveal the identities of Light and Mikami? Or should they keep that quiet? Remember Light's mother and sister, it might be best considering they have lost of father/husband and brother/son for them not to know Light was such a b@stard. (I guess you could say Mikami was Kira, and Light died in the line of duty, I dont know)

**Spoilers**

Misa had lost her memories when she gave away her Death Note the second time, never to get them back.

Kira was a very public figure, and his sanction was clearly okayed at the highest levels, as alluded to in the warehouse showdown.

One of the notebooks, the first in the series, was returned to the shingami that Ryuk STOLE it from. The second one:

TOP men.