post-apocalyptic genre book

hancock.tom

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: post-apocalyptic genre book

Heck, I probably want the "other genres" forum.

I always seem to lump post-apocalyptic into pulp because so many of the same elements exist. Character power levels are essentially the same, bleeding edge technology exists, half the plot is discovering the world isn't really as you think it is, etc.

I know the other 6,483,658,344 people living on planet earth think the two are totally different, but occasionally I forget that they feel that way.

Well, it was written for Fourth Edition HERO System, but you could do a heck of a lot worse than Ron Miller's excellent Wasteland Hero web sourcebook. It was explicitly inspired by Gamma World, and covers most of the bases for that kind of slightly over-the-top PA setting. And for this genre the differences between 4E and 5E are pretty small.

Or, if you'd like a more direct translation of GW into HERO, just follow the link in my signature, below, and scroll down to the GAMMA WORLD listing. Tons of stuff there, by Mr. Miller and others.

Now then, to respond. I just mentioned "Post-Apocalyptic Hero" in some other thread on the PH board, which may be what prompted this (otherwise, I guess it's a case of GMTA, SMRT ;)). I'd love to do a PAH genre book someday; Allen and I used to discuss the parameters of such a project a lot while driving to and from Andy's house to review bluelines. It doesn't even require much research, beyond delving back into a lot of books and movies and such that I know I like. It's really just a matter of deciding there's enough demand to justify the work.

IIRC, PAH was in the "solid second tier" of vote-getters in last January's poll about what book people wanted to see as the big release for 2006. When we run our next poll this coming January, we'll see where it ranks. ;)

IIRC' date=' PAH was in the "solid second tier" of vote-getters in last January's poll about what book people wanted to see as the big release for 2006. When we run our next poll this coming January, we'll see where it ranks. ;)[/quote']

Yes, according to that poll, it was well into the second tier, just slightly behind cyberpunk. I'll be interested to see where those two genres place in the new poll next year. Post-apoc appears to retain a relatively small but loyal following among gamers year after year, but cyberpunk seems to be enjoying a bit of a resurgence of late as it branches into other game subgenres: transhumanism, cyberfantasy, steampunk.

Yes' date=' according to that poll, it was well into the second tier, just slightly behind cyberpunk. I'll be interested to see where those two genres place in the new poll next year. Post-apoc appears to retain a relatively small but loyal following among gamers year after year, but cyberpunk seems to be enjoying a bit of a resurgence of late as it branches into other game subgenres: transhumanism, cyberfantasy, steampunk.

Post-Apoc doesn't have to just cover near-future scavenger adventuring either. It can be the genre of any disaster-based backdrop. I'd try to sell it as a Dark Champions genre but it can apply to Sci-Fi as much as Fantasy, even Cyberpunk can be played with a Pos-Apoc feel (ala The Matrix). I heavily used Cyber HERO as reference for Wasteland Hero. Maybe it should just be melded into Cyberpunk and you can get a two-for-one genre book with a more sweeping audience.

PAH is big. I'm playing in two different games right now and THHHEEEYYY'RE GREAT!

Bozimus and Keith Curtis, while very different GMs both run very good games.

Oh, and CYBER HERO would be cool, too. Dang, did I add anything to this conversation? Perhaps the two should share the 2k6 podium? Run both lines concurrently, or one in the first half of the year and the other in the second half?

I would definitely purchase Post-Apocalypse Hero, as soon after it came out as possible.

Of course, I would really like to have had it BEFORE I started the post-apocalypse game I'm running. :D

On the other hand, the game is going so well that I'm actually writing up the background for the game in a systematic way.

If I can discipline myself to keep working on it, maybe I can get it submitted before Steve writes PAH.

I would definitely purchase Post-Apocalypse Hero, as soon after it came out as possible.

Of course, I would really like to have had it BEFORE I started the post-apocalypse game I'm running. :D

On the other hand, the game is going so well that I'm actually writing up the background for the game in a systematic way.

If I can discipline myself to keep working on it, maybe I can get it submitted before Steve writes PAH.

Start a thread and tell us about it!!!

Here or StarHeroFandom.

Your choice! I love reading those!

PAH is big. I'm playing in two different games right now and THHHEEEYYY'RE GREAT!

Bozimus and Keith Curtis, while very different GMs both run very good games.

Thanks. :)

And it goes to show the breadth of the genre. Boz' game is definitely gritty Sci Fi, although it's probably closer to Dark Champions. Mine is well into the Fantasy Hero arena.

Keith "OK, folks, tonight is a one shot I call just Apocalypse Hero." Curtis

Please allow me to throw my hat in the ring for a PAH book! As a veteran GM of Gamma World, The Morrow Project and Twilight: 2000; I would be very quick to snatch up a copy!

On a related note, I got some positive response on these boards for my idea for Sleepers GT -- a post-apocalyptic world where the characters have gained super-powers as the result of being experimental test subjects for a cryosuspension project. :)

Matt "Lickin'-his-chops-at-the-possibilities" Frisbee

No' date=' I don't want to smoosh the two together. I've got enough to fill a [i']Cyber Hero[/i] book and enough to fill a "Post-Apocalyptic Hero" book without the need for a combo. :hex:

No complaints here... I'd buy both before the ink could dry.

Sleepers GT -- a post-apocalyptic world where the characters have gained super-powers as the result of being experimental test subjects for a cryosuspension project.

Sounds similar to a game I played in where we were all playing ourselves, having been in cryosuspension and subject to forced-learning technology so that we were each experts in some field when we emerged into the brave new world. ;)

We need to get Savage Earth as an official DOJ product. :)

From your lips to God's ear, friend. :hail: I've wanted to see this for years. The setting is so complete at this point, IMHO it wouldn't take much more than editing and layout to get ready. If we ever do get a PAH this would make a natural setting followup.

Working out the rights to the setting and royalty details might be complicated, though. And it really needs to be in color - I know that's more expensive, but Keith's exquisite art and maps deserve no less.

This would be near the top of my list for what to do with that briefcase full of unclaimed money I intend to find one day... :D

Aftermath is still the best PA resource made, the game system was a little funky but the back ground materials were great. You can still get it as a PDF and there was a reprint within the last couple of years.

So until DOJ puts out their own...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=70_97

People have been saying PA is on the decline because most new gamers didn't grow up with the real prospect of the world being destroyed by nukes. Thats probably true but PA is still one of my favorites.

Sounds similar to a game I played in where we were all playing ourselves' date=' having been in cryosuspension and subject to forced-learning technology so that we were each experts in some field when we emerged into the brave new world. ;)[/quote']

Ha! I ran that very same game!

I hated it. I actually have a deep dislike for role-playing myself in a game. This has deepened as I have gotten older.

Keith "Save the world? Who's going to watch my daughter?" Curtis

PS. Thanks everyone for the kind words about SE.

Ha! I ran that very same game!

I hated it. I actually have a deep dislike for role-playing myself in a game. This has deepened as I have gotten older.

Me too. At my best, I was a DEX 7, and it's got worse. The only sort of combat where I'd be of any use is the kind that made the apocalypse in the first place.

A couple of years back our board colleague C_Zeree - with a lot of help from other members of our community - compiled a pretty comprehensive List of Post Apocalyptic Source Material. Although it would have to be updated a bit, it provides an excellent basis for a reference catalogue.

On a related note, I got some positive response on these boards for my idea for Sleepers GT -- a post-apocalyptic world where the characters have gained super-powers as the result of being experimental test subjects for a cryosuspension project. :)

Matt "Lickin'-his-chops-at-the-possibilities" Frisbee

I ran a similar project once. I found post apocalyptic Supers to be an amazing (and I think generally untapped) genre to play in. The characters really can make a real difference for the world they live in, which has often become dominated by super-powered warlords and gangs. Suddenly those powers to make rain can literally save thousands of lives in a day, or being able to grow plants...you'd be a god. (No longer the junior member everyone refers to as "plant lad"...)

Rob