post-apocalyptic genre book

hancock.tom

Re: post-apocalyptic genre book

Thanx for that post, Toadmaster! It's good to know that stuff's still available when it comes time to study the Prior Art and decide how to do it better. :hex:

Besides, everyone needs to know the nutritional value of the cockroach. :eek:

You're welcome, and I expect Aftermath HERO (or whatever) to be better, I've been a little frustrated where a couple of books have gone (Dark Champions) but I have yet to be disappointed with the quality of any. :thumbup:

I hope it does include the idea of PA supers, there was a computer game several years ago, The Hoboken League of Superheros, it was a nice combination of PA, supers and some comedy. The heroes had fabulous powers like can eat anything without harm, can clean up any mess etc, (they had some more mundane powers like lazer eye beams and such too) these powers seemed stupid but they became critical to surviving and rebuilding in the PA world they were in. I would highly suggest you send your computer geeks out to find a copy along with a 486 running dos (okay so maybe it was a little more than a few years ago), it will be worth the effort.

Here is a link about the game, at the very least it would make the book stand out among PA game supplements :) Actually no need to send out a search team, it looks like the game can be downloaded from the site.

http://www.thehouseofgames.net/index.php?t=10&id=92

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be a book on my to buy list...

The post-apoc campaign that I have run off and on since the late 80s is set in the aftermath of my Champions campaign after everything that could go wrong, did... It allowed for high-tech and fantastic powers as well as digging through the ruins and finding a toaster and wondering what it was... I always liked the Gamma World quirky "treasure" lists... :)

I posted about the downfall/basis for the apocalypse in another thread some time back...

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=58070&postcount=51

I actually think a post-apocalyptic book would sell better with non-hero types than a lot of the other genre books would because of the comparative lack of PA material in the gaming market.

Fantasy Hero was a great book, useful regardless of your system, but non-hero players already had tons of system-specific fantasy material. Post-Apocalyptic Hero I think would sell to a much wider group of people because PA material is much harder to find.

This is especially true if the PA hero book is as rich and full as the other Genre books Steve has done, and we have no reason to think it won't be.

Not to promote another product line, but Politically Incorrect Games (PIG) produced an interesting take on PAH scenarios. The game system really sucks, but the campaign ideas are rather unique. I forget the website, but it is a cheap PDF to download for you Aftermath types looking for inspiration.

Matt Frisbee

• 2 weeks later...

Just because I can't let this thread die...

You should check out the sci-fi tv show thread in this group, because it contains one more idea for a post-apocalyptic campaign, based on a late 70's children's sci-fi show called ARK II. Done right, it could be a facinating campaign with slightly more realistic characters...

Matt "Still-jonesin'-for-a-post-apoc-campaign-book-for-hero" Frisbee

Post-Apocalyptic

http:// http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-apocalyptic

Wasteland/Gamma World Hero

http:// http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/3440/rpgs.html

Fading Suns Hero (Till the stars go out and life fades away)

http:// http://www.bcholmes.org/fading_suns/

More Later

QM

On a related note' date=' I got some positive response on these boards for my idea for Sleepers GT -- a post-apocalyptic world where the characters have gained super-powers as the result of being experimental test subjects for a cryosuspension project. [/quote']

Kinda like "Demolition Man", you could even teach them how to knit...ROFLOL.

Glad you liked the links.

QM

You should check out the sci-fi tv show thread in this group' date=' because it contains one more idea for a post-apocalyptic campaign, based on a late 70's children's sci-fi show called ARK II. [/quote']

Linky, because I have a bit of vested interest in that thread also. ;)

It would be good to get a few of the old episodes and watch 'em again. I might remember this show being great because I was eleven at the time. But yeah, I'd love to see an Ark II homage in any post-apoc book. Even the Biblical theme would be good to keep, as long as there's a strong science theme to go along with it.

The show might not be as enjoyable now. IIRC, it was very preachy and mainly a thinly veiled lesson to Respect the Environment. For example, the fall of civilization was caused by pollution.

For millions of years, Earth was fertile and rich. Then pollution and waste began to take their toll. Civilization fell into ruin. This is the world of the 25th century. Only a handful of scientists remain. Men who have vowed to rebuild what has been destroyed...This is their achievement...Ark II, a mobile storehouse of scientific knowledge, manned by a highly trained crew of young people. Their mission: to bring the hope of a new future to mankind.

Ark II log, entry #1: I, Jonah, Ruth, Samuel and Adam are fully aware of the dangers we face as we venture into unknown, maybe even hostile, areas. But we're determined to bring the promise of a new civilization to our people and our planet.

Keith "The vehicles were truly cool, though" Curtis

Guest Major Tom

Speaking of post-apocalyptic supers campaigns, in GURPS Y2K, one of

the campaign settings is IST-2000 (I think that's the title). The premise is

this: the precogs of the world begin to see impending disasters on a global

scale leading up to the year 2000 -- but what scares them is that there is

absolutely nothing to be seen past 2000. In response to what those

in the know have termed "the Wall", the U.N. assigns the ISTs throughout

the world the task of preparing for a potential worldwide disaster. It goes

on to describe what the role of supers in such a setting would be, and which

particular super-powers would be of most use in recovery and reconstruction

efforts.

Now, as far as PA themes are concerned, there's one that I don't think has

been covered yet: biomedical apocalypse. This particular theme was first

introduced in the TV-movie Island City, to the best of my knowledge.

Major Tom :dyn

The show might not be as enjoyable now. IIRC' date=' it was very preachy and mainly a thinly veiled lesson to Respect the Environment. For example, the fall of civilization was caused by pollution.[/quote']

Well, global warming is now accepted as a real threat. Is global warming not caused by pollution? (Everything I need to know in life, I learned from playing Civilization!) I don't think it would take much rubber science, if any, to make a credible game book.

OTOH, I don't remember any of the episodes, so maybe it really was quite preachy. Still, a Hero System book could tone it down some.

Keith "The vehicles were truly cool, though" Curtis

What's the point of saving the planet if you can't drive your huge, gas guzzling, science equiped SUV all over it?

Thinking of post-Apocalypse fiction, I thought of the books "The Stand", "Day of the Triffids", "Damnation Alley", John Christopher's Tripods trilogy, the comic-book character Judge Dredd, and the future scenes from the Terminator movies. Lots of scope there!

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Twilight:2000 as an existing example of a PA world, although the shift in political landscape (and date!) means the backstory is no longer viable.

Thinking of post-Apocalypse fiction, I thought of the books "The Stand", "Day of the Triffids", "Damnation Alley", John Christopher's Tripods trilogy, the comic-book character Judge Dredd, and the future scenes from the Terminator movies. Lots of scope there!

Definitely true! For purposes of a genre book I'd leave out Judge Dredd, which is too much of a functioning society to fit well with the other stuff -- I'd handle it with SH, CH, or DC, I suppose. Not sure about some of the others because I either haven't read 'em, or barely remember 'em.