Building the Animated Justice League

Pattern Ghost

Originally posted by Lightray

I had a gaming geek moment after the third or so time that Hawkgirl showed up Superman -- "How much Luck did she buy?"

She knocked a hole in Fate's tower, she blasted through Inza's shield, and she deflected Fate's mystic bolt. All with that dang mace.

But she definately needs lots of d6 of Luck.

I don't know if its luck so much as a difference in limits. Superman has always said that he vulnerable to magic, so it makes since that he might not be able to punch through a magical barrier. Perhaps Hawkgirl's mace has special properties which make it more effective against magic.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Pattern Ghost

I don't think they've mentioned Nth Metal on the show, but if that's what the mace is made of, it could be very scary indeed.

Giverwhat we've seen Hawkgirl do with that bloody mace over the course of the last two seasons, it's pretty obvious it's more than just technological in nature. It's the DCU version of Mjölnir. :eek:

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Trebuchet

Giverwhat we've seen Hawkgirl do with that bloody mace over the course of the last two seasons, it's pretty obvious it's more than just technological in nature. It's the DCU version of Mjölnir. :eek:

So, what exactly *are* the powers... hmmm.

(I really want to know; that show will get here 2005 if I'm lucky... and I wanna steal. :))

I don't see the mace as more than an OAF MP w/ HA & EB.

1) OAF because she loses it regularly

2) EB because she has been known to throw it and go pick it up. (1 recoverable Charge, Costs END)

3) HA because...wel d'uh

She does Missile Deflect and Block with it quite often as well.

These Mjolnir references I am guessing come from the newest episode in which she was chewing through Dr. Fate's shields and deflecting his spells. That was explained in the episode. Those spells and wards in particular were based on Thanagarian Mysticism - the Mace is advanvced Thanagarian Tech. Say it with me, "Symbolism"...lol

I can't wait to se JmOz's write up personally.

She's also showed a limited ability to manipulate the electrical field in the trap used in the alternate universe/bad JLA episode (forgot the name) and she has batted a planet-busting EB back into the cannon on War World. She was able to bust through mystic defenses (wall and the shield spell cas by Fate's wife) that definately weren't Thangarian in nature in the last ep. She also caused feedback to Fate's wife when she busted the shield spell.

The magic she was busting up in the demon-god's dimension wasn't Thangarian in origin.

It's reasonably safe to assume that the mace is Thangarian in origin. It could well be made of Nth metal which would support the slightly extended FX over energy. Nt Metal also seems to respond to emotion/will, which would explain some of the added umph when HG's ticked off. (Then again, she seems to have "Enraged on Days with a Vowel in Them," so that could just be plain old adrenaline.) Nth Metal is some spiffy stuff. Check out the JSA Return of Hawkman issues.

Then again, it could just be a honking big mace. With sparks.

Hawkgirl's wings

I don't know whether the cartoon has explicitly said so, but the comic book based on the cartoon seems to indicate that the wings are part of her. She has had the wings on while in civilian dress.

If she can still hover while her wings are bound, then she is probably telekinetic (which might explain some of the oompf of the mace) and just uses the wings for direction and maneuvering.

Then again, perhaps the real source of her power is the mace, made of Nth Metal. Probably not, since she still flies when he has thrown/dropped it, but something to think about.

Re: Hawkgirl's wings

Originally posted by Captain Liberty

I don't know whether the cartoon has explicitly said so, but the comic book based on the cartoon seems to indicate that the wings are part of her. She has had the wings on while in civilian dress.

This was also implied during the Despero episode. He pulls one of her wings out a bit to admire it (like a vet checking a bird's wings) and comments about how exotic the wings were.

If she can still hover while her wings are bound, then she is probably telekinetic (which might explain some of the oompf of the mace) and just uses the wings for direction and maneuvering.

Then again, perhaps the real source of her power is the mace, made of Nth Metal. Probably not, since she still flies when he has thrown/dropped it, but something to think about.

I am not sure if she has any telekinesis, but I would agree that the wings seem more for manuvuering. In the Terror Beyond episode Hawkgirl is in the water and then just flies straight up out of it with her wings half submerged. It could be her belt is Nth metal in which case that is what gives her the power to fly and her wings are simply for manuvuering.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by The Horror

...One of my players to be wants to play a Green Lantern like character, so I figured it would be nice to show him what the Green Lantern actually looks like with the Hero rules.

GL is a different character depending on who wears the ring. John Stewart mostly uses EB, FF, TK and FW. His ring use could be summed up with a Multipower. Kyle Payner is much more creative and would need to add Summon, Transformation and maybe even Multiform to accurately portray his ring use. Conversely, John Stewart would have much better physical stats (STR, DEX, CON, BODY...) than Kyle since he is a former Marine.

So what is this player's ring bearer like?

Originally posted by levi

GL is a different character depending on who wears the ring. John Stewart mostly uses EB, FF, TK and FW. His ring use could be summed up with a Multipower. Kyle Payner is much more creative and would need to add Summon, Transformation and maybe even Multiform to accurately portray his ring use. Conversely, John Stewart would have much better physical stats (STR, DEX, CON, BODY...) than Kyle since he is a former Marine.

So what is this player's ring bearer like?

He wants to create a character similar to Kyle Raynors GL. It will be a 300 base + 150 disad character, with about 60-75 active point cap on powers.

I'm thinking an OIF, with charges, every power in a flexible multipower. Should most be based on EGO or something similar to represent the usage of willpower to create things? Powers include your suggestions of Summon and Transform. Since I'm very new to the Hero system I'm going to have to take another look through FREd and see if there are any other powers he'll need as well. One of the earlier posts mentions EBs and a Force Field.

Does this sound ok so far?

The Horror

Okay, this is off the top of my head:

First you will probably want it as an OIF as it will be cheaper, note this does mean it gets taken away, something Kyle does not have to worry about

His powers should be divided into two parts, an EC & a MP

EC is for the powers you want to keep up.

Flight, Force Field (Actualy this should be linked to some Life Support, and both put in the same slot), I can't think of anything else, but there might be

Then a MP for all your instant powers.

Now as a newbie, I HIGHLY recomend you stay away from summons and from transform. Further more keep the slots as Ultras (or Fixed)

An EB

a Force Wall with 5" extra inches

an Entangle

Telekinesis

This will not create a perfect representation, as the character will be more limited, but that is fine, as a new player it is nice to have easier to use characters

Re: What is the ring, anyway?

I have been toying with the idea of treating the Power Ring as a vehicle for some time. Not at all sure how well it would work out, but it is an interesting concept.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you clarify this thought?

ring is a vehicle?

Simple actually.

Assume the ring is a vehicle. It lacks many of the attributes of a vehicle, but those can just be "bought down" to 0 and get some more points. Then construct the ring with whatever ECs and Multipowers seem appropriate (or perhaps no ECs, depending on the prejudices of the builder) and have your ringbearer buy the vehicle.

If you can buy an armored suit as a vehicle, you should be able to buy a power ring.

Of course, I have never actually gotten down and tried to do this. I have no idea if there are cost savings or not. But paying 1 for 5 has to count for something.

Well, here's a simplistic cut at it for cost comparison.

An OIF ring giving a 120 point multipower with 13 slots:

80 for the reserve

104 for the slots (40 STR TK, 12D6 EB, 8D6 EB Indirect, 8D6 Autofire, 4D6 DEF 8 Entangle, 4D6 RKA, 1D6 Continuous NND BODY RKA, Missile deflection at range, 3 kinds of forcefield, 10/10 forcewall, 20" flight at 0 END)

so 184 points for the multipower. For free, the object gets (effectively) 1 BODY and 27 DEF.

For the same cost, you could have a 920 point vehicle ?

As a vehicle, we'd give it STR 0, INT 0, BODY 1, Size 1 (buy some shrinking ?), DEF 27, DEX 30 (minimum) and SPD 6 (minimum), but 0" of running. That's 114 points. Give it the multipower above without OIF (274 points), and we're looking at 388 before disads. Still plenty of room to make this bad boy more powerful...

Re: What is the ring, anyway?

I have been toying with the idea of treating the Power Ring as a vehicle for some time. Not at all sure how well it would work out, but it is an interesting concept.

Alternately, I've heard more than one person suggest building the ring as the character and buying Hal, Kyle, John, Guy, etc. as a follower...

Originally posted by TheImperialKhan

Interesting avatar you have there The Horror.

#78 Power Key by K-H Scheer if I'm not mistaken. The Ace version with the cover art by Gray Morrow.

and your user name...# 66 by Willy Voltz I believe.

Rho-fan from way back. :D

I am very impressed! Very impressed indeed! You are the first person to recognise that avatar either here or at RPGnet.

Sometime next year I plan to start running a game progressing through those books in order. Will put up the details here for your perusal and for any recommendations you may have.

It's nice to know that other fans are around this group.

The Horror