Building the Animated Justice League

Pattern Ghost

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by The Horror

I am very impressed! Very impressed indeed! You are the first person to recognise that avatar either here or at RPGnet.

Sometime next year I plan to start running a game progressing through those books in order. Will put up the details here for your perusal and for any recommendations you may have.

It's nice to know that other fans are around this group.

The Horror

I tried it twice. Once using FGU's Space Opera and then again using GDW's MegaTraveller.

It didn't work out because of group dyamics more than anything else. I was thinking about giving it a shot again, if I can get the right mix of players, using HERO. But until that group comes along it's kind of on the back burner. BTW one of the quotes on the back of #101 is from me. I won't tell you which though, you have to try and guess. ;)

levi I'm still very interested and have been downloading everything. Unfortunately as I don't get Cartoon Network I really can't contribute anything. Still keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to seeing Hawkgirl and Batman. Especially Batman, how you're going to do him on 350 pts is beyond me. But I can't wait to see it. :)

• 9 months later...

Re: Building the Animated Justice League

Hawkgirl's wings are artificial, I'm pretty well sure. They're for maneuvering, not lift; lift comes her anti-gravitational Nth metal belt. The wings do seem to be part of her, but that only proves that they're either implants or genegineered (or both, they could be created with tissue engineering then attached surgically). And this version of Hawgirl isn't a policewoman; she's a Thanagarian soldier.

As for the way her mace ripped through the magical effects in the episode with Dr. Fate, let me point out that the runes were Thanagarian, Icthulu was the original source of much of Thanagar's society, and Hawkgirl's mace seems to be a powerful, partly mystical, Thanagarian weapon; building in effects to specifically counter Icthulu's creatures and effects would probably be considered just sensible. Hawkgirl is presumably an elite trooper of some sort, and expected to stand with superhumans as an equal, which is why she has such a powerful weapon (plot hook! The Thanagarians might not want her back after Starcrossed, but they'll certainly be back for the mace).

Thing is' date=' that would only make sense if the flight came primarily from Nth metal belt, whereas I don't think there's indications of any such thing. Especially given, IIRC, she flew off in pure civilian garb in Starcrossed.[/quote']

Or perhaps, since she's apparently an elite trooper, the Nth metal is incorporated into her wings' structure in some way.

'Just felt the need to chime in here.

Re: Flash - High Dcv, Physical Lim: Clumsy, 2-3 d6 Unluck?

Flash does seem to pull his own weight between his EB (whirlwinds), his ability to take out agents, and his Non-combat speed. In a couple of episodes his sheer ability to move has resulted in the JL knowing the layout of their battlegrounds (and a few cases of him getting into more trouble than he can get out of).

'Just felt the need to chime in here.

Re: Flash - High Dcv, Physical Lim: Clumsy, 2-3 d6 Unluck?

I'd been thinking about this myself ... I would probably use the Velocity-Based DCV rules for Flash, and give him a moderate DEX like an 18, but a metric assload of Lightning Reflexes and Speed. It seems like his reflexes aren't quite on par with his movement to me, rather than him actually being clumsy, per se ... kind of like the vehicle rules with the vehicle's dex and speed being higher than the driver's.

But the unluck ... definitely.

• 1 month later...

In Brightest Day, In darkness Night, Let no evil escape my sight, let those who worship Evil's might beware my power the GREEN LANTERN'S LIGHT

Animated Green Lantern

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
23 DEX 39
20 CON 20
12 BODY 4
15 INT 5
23 EGO 26
15 PRE 5
12 COM 1
5/20 PD 2
5/20 ED 1
5 SPD 17
7 REC 0
40 END 0
30 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 125

Cost Power END
167 Variable Power Pool, 90 base + 77 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (225 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Must Be recharged (-1/4)
0 1) Flight: Flight 10", Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (25 Active Points); Ring Limitations (-3/4) Real Cost: 14 1
0 2) Green Aura: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); Ring Limitations (-3/4), Visible (-1/4) Real Cost: 22
0 3) Energy Blast Or other Power: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Ring Limitations (-3/4) Real Cost: 43 3
0 4) Green Aura II: Life Support , Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (19 Active Points); Ring Limitations (-3/4), Visible (-1/4) Real Cost: 9
Powers Cost: 167

Cost Skill
10 +2 with Ranged Combat
3 Bureaucratics 12-
3 Combat Piloting 14-
3 PS: Soldier (INT-based) 12-
3 Navigation (Land, Space) 12-
3 Paramedics 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Stealth 14-
3 Streetwise 12-
8 Survival (Desert, Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Urban) 12-
3 Tactics 12-
3 Teamwork 14-
2 WF: Small Arms
Skills Cost: 50

Cost Perk
5 Fringe Benefit: Membership in the JL
3 Fringe Benefit: Membership: GLC
Perks Cost: 8

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Military Demaner (Stick up his uniform) (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Hunted: Guardians of the Universe 8- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
15 Hunted: Star Saphire 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
15 Hunted: Sinestro 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
5 Hunted: Katama Tui 8- (As Pow; Watching; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
5 Money: Poor
15 Psychological Limitation: Military Mindset (Very Common; Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Home (Common; Strong)
10 Psychological Limitation: See's self as a Role Model (Common; Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Patriotic (Common; Moderate)
15 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Frequently; Major)
10 Social Limitation: Public ID (Occasionally; Major)
5 Social Limitation: Subject to racisim (Occasionally; Minor)
5 Unluck: 1d6

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

JmOz,

Regarding this power:

Green Aura: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); Ring Limitations (-3/4), Visible (-1/4) Real Cost: 22

When I tried to put the Visible Limitation on the Armor of my version of Green Lantern, Hero Designer wouldn't let me because Visible can't be added to a power which already has an Obvious Focus (OIF or OAF). I see that you got around that by using the catch-all "Ring Limitations (-3/4)" instead of "OIF (-1/2) and Needs Recharging (-1/4)" when you wrote that VPP slot. But maybe Visible should be removed since it's not HD2-legal.

edit: And come to think of it, the Life Support can't get both an Obvious Focus and Visible, either.

That VPP might also get another -1/4 Limitation: Only Green Lantern Powers. After all, Green Lanterns can fly, shoot energy blasts, use shields, etc. but can't turn themselves into puddles of goo, transform their enemies into frogs, and so on.

John H

Hero Designer is not always right, it is actualy wrong alot (but don't tell Dan), however this time it is right (I was thinking about the rules regarding "Loud" when I put it on).

While debatable the limitation "Physical Manifestation" would be appropriate, as would Alblative/Body only on the armor

Hero Designer is not always right, it is actualy wrong alot (but don't tell Dan), however this time it is right (I was thinking about the rules regarding "Loud" when I put it on).

While debatable the limitation "Physical Manifestation" would be appropriate, as would Alblative/Body only on the armor

Man, you would be hard pressed to back that up. As someone who has used the software ALOT I would be hard pressed to buy in to that statement. I have had the program do something wrong on a character before however more often than not it is correct. I would go so far as to say 99% of the time it is right.

I have a very good understanding of the rules, and am willing to look them up on the net when in doubt. To my experiance if I think something in the program is wrong after looking up the actual rules I find it was my interpritation that was incorrect.

Man, you would be hard pressed to back that up. As someone who has used the software ALOT I would be hard pressed to buy in to that statement. I have had the program do something wrong on a character before however more often than not it is correct. I would go so far as to say 99% of the time it is right.

I have a very good understanding of the rules, and am willing to look them up on the net when in doubt. To my experiance if I think something in the program is wrong after looking up the actual rules I find it was my interpritation that was incorrect.

I probably overstated, do to a personal bias I have against Dan. I did send you an IM if you want to continue with this, just not in this thread (Let's keep it on topic :D)

FLASH

Disads were tough on him, so tough I had to go with Mystirious Disads (mostly Hunteds and DNPC's IMO)

Animated Flash

Player:

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
36 DEX 78
20 CON 20
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
12 EGO 4
13 PRE 3
14 COM 2
10/20 PD 0
10/20 ED 0
7 SPD 24
8 REC 0
40 END 0
30 STUN 0
20"/40" RUN02" SWIM04" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 144

Cost Power END
38 +14" Running (20"/40" total), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (38 Active Points) 1
20 Protective Field: Armor (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points); Linked to Running (-1/2)
15 Rapid x1000 (Sight Group)
15 Rapid x1000 (Hearing Group (And Mouth))
50 Superspeed: Multipower, 50-point reserve
5u 1) Hyper Running I: +20" Running (20"/40" total), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (50 Active Points) 2
3u 2) Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1) (50 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)
2u 3) Hyper Running II: Flight 10", Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages +1/2) (30 Active Points); Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4) 3
2u 4) Hyper Running III: Flight 10", Megascale (1" = 10 km; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4) 3
4u 5) Wind Blast: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), Double Knockback 2x KB (+3/4) (44 Active Points) 4
3u 6) Wind Blast II: Energy Blast 4d6 (vs. ED), Double Knockback 1.5x KB (+1/2), Area Of Effect (7" Cone; +1) (50 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) 5
Powers Cost: 157

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
5 Passing Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Disarm, +10 STR to Disarm roll; FMove
5 Passing Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +v/5; FMove
5 Passing Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +v/5; Target Falls; FMove
Martial Arts Cost: 20

Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 16-
3 Superspeed (DEX-based) 16-
3 Sleight Of Hand 16-
Skills Cost: 9

Cost Perk
5 Fringe Benefit: Membership: JLA
Perks Cost: 5

Cost Talent
12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
3 Lightning Calculator
Talents Cost: 15

Val Disadvantages
5 Dependence: Food -10 Active Points from Affected Power (Very Common; 1 Hour)
15 Hunted: Gorilla Grodd 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
10 Hunted: Flash Rouge Gallery 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common; Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Impulsive (Common; Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common; Total)
5 Physical Limitation: Clumsy (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
5 Rivalry: Professional (Other superfast individuals; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently; Major)
10 Unluck: 2d6
35 Mystery Disadvantages (Hunteds/DNPC's

Regarding Flash:

Putting Rapid on Sight and Hearing was brilliant!

The Autofire Hand Attack is 60 Active Points if you want it to apply to Strength (more if you want the Reduced Endurance to apply to Strength, too). The way you have it set up, Flash can't add any Strength damage when he's using this slot, so barring some combat maneuver, velocity damage bonus, etc. this attack is stuck at 4d6.

Shouldn't the two Wind Blast powers attack PD, not ED?

Very nice,

John H

Regarding Flash:

Putting Rapid on Sight and Hearing was brilliant!

The Autofire Hand Attack is 60 Active Points if you want it to apply to Strength (more if you want the Reduced Endurance to apply to Strength, too). The way you have it set up, Flash can't add any Strength damage when he's using this slot, so barring some combat maneuver, velocity damage bonus, etc. this attack is stuck at 4d6.

Shouldn't the two Wind Blast powers attack PD, not ED?

Very nice,

John H

it's an 8d6, pg 272, He can add up to the unmodified value of the attack, so 4+4=8

Right, I did forget about that. But...

Wouldn't his 20 Strength convert to 20 Active Points for purposes of adding damage to this Hand Attack? And since the Hand Attack is Advantaged by Autofire (+1/2), 20 more Active Points would convert to 2 1/2d6 of added damage if full Strength (well, 19.5 Strength) were used to add to the damage of this slot for a total of 6 1/2d6, not 8d6.

If not, I'm not understanding the FRED p.272 rule properly.

John H

For somereason the Sultenass of Swing, the mistress of mashing, The Female Fury of Hawkgirl turned out to be quite hard for me,

Animated Hawkgirl

Player:

Val Char Cost
25 STR 15
30 DEX 60
23 CON 26
15 BODY 10
13 INT 3
15 EGO 10
15 PRE 5
18 COM 4
15/20 PD 10
15/20 ED 10
6 SPD 20
10 REC 0
50 END 2
40 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM05" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 175

Cost Power END
50 Wings: Flight 25", Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (75 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2)
13 Agile Flyer: +4 with DCV (20 Active Points); Linked to Wings (-1/2)
22 Mace: (Total: 57 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) HA +5d6, Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2) (50 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20) plus , Ranged (+1/4) (7 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charges (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Lockout (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2)
14 Mace II: Absorption 3d6 (Energy/Mace HA), Can Absorb Maximum of 45 Points (29 Active Points); OAF (-1)
15 Tough as Nails: Armor (5 PD/5 ED)
Powers Cost: 114

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
5 Passing Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +v/5; FMove
3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +v/5, Target Falls
3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +10 STR for holding on
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike
1 Weapon Element: Axes, Maces, Hammers, and Picks
Martial Arts Cost: 25

Cost Skill
3 Acrobatics 15-
3 Acting 12-
3 Breakfall 15-
3 Bureaucratics 12-
3 Combat Piloting 15-
3 Demolitions 12-
3 Language: English (completely fluent)
2 Navigation (Space) 12-
3 Stealth 15-
Skills Cost: 26

Cost Perk
10 Fringe Benefit: Membership: JL, Membership: Thangarian Military, Security Clearance: Thangarian Military
Perks Cost: 10

Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: Winged Woman (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
10 Enraged: Taking Body (Common), go 8-, recover 14-
10 Enraged: When friends are in immenint danger (Common), go 8-, recover 14-
15 Hunted: Khruds 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
10 Hunted: Thangarian Villains 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
5 Physical Limitation: Wings can be a nucence (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
10 Psychological Limitation: In love with John Starwart (Common; Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Loyal (Common; Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Agresive (Common; Strong)
5 Rivalry: Romantic (Katama Tui; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
5 Social Limitation: Alien (Occasionally; Minor)
Pre Starcrossed
15 1) Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Frequently; Major)
15 2) Hunted: Thangarian Military 8- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
15 3) Social Limitation: Secret: Spy for Thangar (Occasionally; Severe)
Post Starcrossed
20 1) Social Limitation: Untrusted (Very Frequently; Major)
25 2) Hunted: Thangarian Military 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)

• 1 month later...

* Superman

* Batman

* Wonder Woman

* Green Lantern

* Martian Manhunter

* Hawkgirl

* Flash

Okay, so next up is Martian Manhunter, then Batman (He's going to be very very hard, but I have a few ideas already)

So let's review what we have seen the two of them doing (I see VPP's for both in truth)...

Edit: MArtian Manhunter is now done

Edit 2: Batman is up

I don't think that you need a VPP for MM. I think you can take care of it with decent stats (30-40 Str, 25 Con, 20 Dex, 20 Ego, 4 or 5 spd), flight, and an MP that has the following:

* Desolidification

* NND EB No Range (Resoldifying with his hand in someone. If you want to be nasty, you can make this a penetrating HKA.)

* Shape Change

* Density Increase

* Telepathy (maybe cum to represent cracking into the Hawk soldiers mind)

* Mind Scan (possibly keep this out of the MP to represent his ability to find and then communicate with people ala the first episode where he summons Superman).

* Ego Attack (thought I don't really recall him doing this much).

Most of his tricks seem to be power skill rolls more than any descrete set of new powers IMO.

BTW, you have done a great job with all the past Animated JL characters. Very playable yet capturing the spirit of the show.

One comment on HG. You might want to do her mace as a MP and put a second slot to represent missile deflection. I also think she might do with a higher PRE. She growls a lot and does not seemed phased by anyone.

Keep up the great work!