Worst comic book superfight ever

FenrisUlf

Re: Worst comic book superfight ever

Still kinda hard to watch someone with the same identity and upbringing as our Clark Kent become a deluded mass murderer' date=' but I could have lived with it if they didn't also flush Siegel & Schuster's orginal iconic creation down the toilet at the same time.[/quote']

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I have this mental image of one of the DC editors thinking "Maybe this will make those whiny fanboys ST*U", while writing those scenes. There really does seem to be an attitude of contempt for the fans in some quarters of modern comics publishing.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the one. Though technically' date=' it wasn't the pre-Crisis Superboy from all those [i']Legion of Super Heroes[/i] comics, but rather the nearly identical Earth-Prime version of that Earth-1 character.

Still kinda hard to watch someone with the same identity and upbringing as our Clark Kent become a deluded mass murderer, but I could have lived with it if they didn't also flush Siegel & Schuster's orginal iconic creation down the toilet at the same time.

I didn't read the books this happened in, but I was under the impression that Superboy Prime was the kid from the old one-off comic whose parents named him Clark as a joke, because Superman comics existed in that (supposedly our) world. I didn't get the impression (from my hazy memory of the original story) that he was raised anything like "our" Clark - for one thing, his parents never knew about his powers.

Maybe I shouldn't say this' date=' but I have this mental image of one of the DC editors thinking "Maybe this will make those whiny fanboys ST*U", while writing those scenes. There really does seem to be an attitude of contempt for the fans in some quarters of modern comics publishing.[/quote']

Given the nature of a substantial portion of fandom, I can't say I blame people. However, of course, that shouldn't justify shoddy story-telling.

I didn't read the books this happened in' date=' but I was under the impression that Superboy Prime was the kid from the old one-off comic whose parents named him Clark as a joke, because Superman [i']comics[/i] existed in that (supposedly our) world. I didn't get the impression (from my hazy memory of the original story) that he was raised anything like "our" Clark - for one thing, his parents never knew about his powers.

At the time, he didn't have any powers. Excuse me, he didn't have any powers until the first Crisis showed to wipe out his earth. A lot of the stuff that was added on about his wanting to leave the dimension and help Alex Luthor didn't make sense since he knew his whole world had already been wiped out.

CES

At the time, he didn't have any powers. Excuse me, he didn't have any powers until the first Crisis showed to wipe out his earth. A lot of the stuff that was added on about his wanting to leave the dimension and help Alex Luthor didn't make sense since he knew his whole world had already been wiped out.

CES

Okay, that doesn't sound like the Superboy I was thinking about. It was a nice story about a kid in the "real-life", superhero-less universe, whose parents thought it'd be funny to name him Clark Kent, and who one day just gained the powers of Superman for no reason. Iron Age, but in a good way. Come to think of it, I should have known it couldn't have been the same character - the story takes him through old age, definitely not a "-Boy" anymore. Kinda glad it wasn't him, actually; he was a nice guy.

So, there are at least three "Earth Primes". Heh. More, if you count the one the Flash used to go to, I guess.

CES

And the part that really bugged me....they turned Alex Luthor evil! ALEX LUTHOR WASN'T EVIL DAMMIT!! :mad:

Okay, that doesn't sound like the Superboy I was thinking about. It was a nice story about a kid in the "real-life", superhero-less universe, whose parents thought it'd be funny to name him Clark Kent, and who one day just gained the powers of Superman for no reason. Iron Age, but in a good way. Come to think of it, I should have known it couldn't have been the same character - the story takes him through old age, definitely not a "-Boy" anymore. Kinda glad it wasn't him, actually; he was a nice guy.

So, there are at least three "Earth Primes". Heh. More, if you count the one the Flash used to go to, I guess.

Elseworlds are sometimes better than the mainstream now. Don't know why.

CES

And the part that really bugged me....they turned Alex Luthor evil! ALEX LUTHOR WASN'T EVIL DAMMIT!! :mad:

I don't know why they did that either when his story was exactly like Superman's.

Son of a heroic scientist rocketed from a doomed planet grows up to protect his adopted home.

I remember the reasoning for Max Lord was we need a villain that has a connection with the heroes but they didn't have one so they warped someone to fit the bill.

Dr. Light bothers me also for the same reason.

CES

The way that I see it is that we only had about 12 issues to work with as far as personality goes.

As the Secret Files shows Alex Luthor, as a genius, calculated and concocted a plan that he felt would be the absolute most humane and the most efficient.

Don't forget that he also grew up in mere hours and never got to experience life as we do so he entertained the idea of reforming the universe around the correct Earth.

It all goes along the lines of "The road to hell is often paved with good intentions."

And with that breaching of the fourth wall in issue 6 he came this close to putting superheroes on our Earth and while that was not his original intention as you may deduce from #5 you have to give him props for that.