Best SuperHero Fights ever

starblaze

Re: Best SuperHero Fights ever

Oh, one of Hercules' best battles ever... and he didn't even have to lift a finger.

In Claremont's FANTASTIC FOUR run, Hades, Lord of the Underworld, kidnapped Franklin Richards. The FF, natch, went down to Hades' realm to get him back.

However, Reed is a smart guy, so before he led his team down into the Greek underworld, he called Hercules and asked him to lend a hand, this being his bailiwick.

So, just as Hercules gets there, well, Hades has finished stomping the FF -- they're in his realm, what do you expect?

However, Hercules had brought some help that the FF weren't' quite expecting...

(done from memory)

Hercules -- "Hold, Hades! I bring you tidings from a person that even you dare not gainsay! The mortals are to be let free!"

Hades -- "Foolish Heracles! Know you not that we are in my realm? Here, even the rulings of Zeus hold no sway, and Hades is king!"

Hercules -- "I was not speaking of Zeus, o Lord of the Dead."

Hades -- "Then to whom do you refer, who supposedly possesses the power to deny Hades in his own realm?"

Hercules *smirking* -- "Your wife."

And Hercules steps aside in the doorway to allow an incandescently pissed-off Persephone to storm into the room, all primed to give Hades an earful about how he's broken his promise to not go kidnapping mortals again. :D

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thor v Mangog and then Thanos in Thor's #23-25

Wolverine v the Hellfire Club mooks before Jean becomes Dark Phoenix

Avengers v Ultron during the Busiek/Perez run with Thor's famous, "ULTRON! We would have words with thee."

Couple funny ones -

Spider-Man v the Ringer (after the Ringer had just been to the dentist) :D

Thor v Hercules - the classic 'made-up' battle as described by Hercules wherein he completely trounces a whiny and ineffectual Thor for half the fight until Jarvis points out that the little boy he is telling the story to is a huge Thor fan...then Herc lowers his ego and proceeds to describe an incredible comeback by Thor. :thumbup:

As yes, where Thor punches Herc into that realm where even the gods fear to tread: New Jersey.

The Simonson Thor vs. Hercules fight when Herc's telling the story to an increasingly distraught kid who's a Thor fan, realizes what he's doing, and then throws the anecdote.

The first FF vs. Terrax fight. Byrne/Austin at their best.

The Ditko era Spidey/Doc Ock battle where Ock unmasks Spidey (who was fighting with the flu) and refuses to believe it's Peter Parker.

The first Miracleman/Kid Miracleman battle.

So many others. Animation-wise Myeterio/Spidey in the 60s series (it's not that good in retrospect, but as a kid it was damn cool), the Bane/Batman fight in "Over the Edge" (a fight that actually made me like Bane) and the Justice League vs. Brainiac/Luthor in JLU's "Divided We Fall".

Batman vs. Guy Gardner as Green Lantern.

First fight: Guy gardner is mouthing off about Batman being the laeder of the JLA. When batman walks in. Batman walks up to Guy and says, "SIT DOWN"

Guy gets bruised rear end fromm sitting down so hard.

Second Fight: Guy Gardner mouthing off again, challanges Batman to a fight. Batman can't use any of his gadgets and Guy takes off his ring. There are 2 hits. Batman hits Guy. Guy hits the floor, out cold.

This makes what happened recently in the new Green Lantern series all the more fun. Batman tries to physically stop Hal Jordan and Hal turns around and one punches Batman. Guy is going bonkers over Hal's punch,

This makes what happened recently in the new Green Lantern series all the more fun. Batman tries to physically stop Hal Jordan and Hal turns around and one punches Batman. Guy is going bonkers over Hal's punch,

Didn't knock Bats out, but knocked him down anyway. And Guy "YEAH" "I've waitied for that for years!" was wonderful.

Another couple

Ego vs a Living Earth and some Eternals in the Exiles.

And speaking of Herc :

An older Avengers where Namor was moping on a beach and Herc picks a fight with him, and most of the issue is the two of the pounding on each other, and then knockback from one of Herc's punches lands Namor in the water and he comes out bellowing "You made a mistake, water ect blah blah blah" at which point Herc is laughing, and Namor stops and looks at him confused and Herc said "I have given you gift of battle, are you not in better spriits than before?" and he walks of chuckling and Namor is just standing on the beach looking completely flummoxed.

The difference is, Guy deserved that punch.

Batman most definitely did not deserve to get socked in the jaw by Hal, as Hal was the one acting like a jerk.

Hal knew what needed to be done to stop the cosmic menace that was a direct threat, and Bats was trying to stop him, just to argue about stuff that happened before he died. Bats deserved it.

Now, Bats and Hal need / needed to have a long talk about what happened, but not right then.

The difference is, Guy deserved that punch.

Batman most definitely did not deserve to get socked in the jaw by Hal, as Hal was the one acting like a jerk.

While it may not have been recent, rest assured Batman has done many, many things for which he deserves to get socked in the jaw. One down, about ten thousand still owed.

Because he's BATJERK.

Non-Sequitur: Cool, this was my 1337th post ... it's LEET! :D

Well I had built it up to epic proportions in my mind. The payoff just wasn't there. And Champion looked really weird.

If memory serves me right, the issue was drawn by Ron 'Drawer of Cardboard Standies' Wilson, whose artistic talents make Rob Liefeld seem almost passable rather than vile. That, as much as anything, amounts for the Champion looking dorky (even though a 9' tall musclebound guy with a ring of red hair is already pretty dorky, in practice).

Didn't knock Bats out, but knocked him down anyway. And Guy "YEAH" "I've waitied for that for years!" was wonderful.

Another couple

Ego vs a Living Earth and some Eternals in the Exiles.

And speaking of Herc :

An older Avengers where Namor was moping on a beach and Herc picks a fight with him, and most of the issue is the two of the pounding on each other, and then knockback from one of Herc's punches lands Namor in the water and he comes out bellowing "You made a mistake, water ect blah blah blah" at which point Herc is laughing, and Namor stops and looks at him confused and Herc said "I have given you gift of battle, are you not in better spriits than before?" and he walks of chuckling and Namor is just standing on the beach looking completely flummoxed.

"Ho! Prince No-More!"

The best line in a great comic.

From Crisis on Infinite Earths:

Issue Number Seven: the most powerful heroes of 5 Earths (including, but not limited to: two Supermen, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Green Lantern, Jade, Captain Marvel, Captain Atom, Wildfire, Firestorm, and Martian Manhunter) descend upon the Anti-Monitor. They proceed to barely make headway against his minions and a telling moment is when Superman of Earth 2 is slammed into a wall and realizes that he's *bleeding*. In the tale's final moments, the Anti-Monitor is about kill Superman of Earth I when Supergirl smashes through a series of wall to slam into the A-M. In the end she dies but not before saving her cousin and giving the five Earth's a much needed reprieve.

Issue Number Twelve: Final Battle with the Anti-Monitor where about 50 heroes intelligently take down the A-M. When he gets back up, he annihilates Wonder Woman with casual ease. In the end, Superman of Earth Two (with assists from Darkseid and Superboy of Earth-Prime) battles the A-M by, among other things, slaming him between two small moons. He finally kills the hating spirit of the being with a thunderous punch.

Regarding the Thing battle, the story did have its problems with heavy handed plotting (I shall destroy Earth if you can not best me in battle! Umm... we've chased off Galactus so screw off) and jobbing out some of Marvel's best. Still, that the Thing would not give up though thoroughly outclassed is pretty classic. It's his will, rather than battle skills, that save the day. Paraphrasing: "I could break your bones and shatter your body but NEVER could I crush your spirit!"

A great one from Secret Wars:

After Thor takes a little holiday with the Enchantress, he returns to see the heroes' base leveled and a small army of super villains. Of course, everyone's favorite god of thunder proceeds to fight everyone and very nearly wins (including a fun scene where he back hands the super strong Titania about a mile away) but even he can not face Ultron alone and is forced to back away (in a manner that makes other think he had died). Also, he realizes that his friends need him NOW and this battle becomes pointless.

From Crisis on Infinite Earths:

Issue Number Seven: the most powerful heroes of 5 Earths (including, but not limited to: two Supermen, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Green Lantern, Jade, Captain Marvel, Captain Atom, Wildfire, Firestorm, and Martian Manhunter) descend upon the Anti-Monitor. They proceed to barely make headway against his minions and a telling moment is when Superman of Earth 2 is slammed into a wall and realizes that he's *bleeding*. In the tale's final moments, the Anti-Monitor is about kill Superman of Earth I when Supergirl smashes through a series of wall to slam into the A-M. In the end she dies but not before saving her cousin and giving the five Earth's a much needed reprieve.

Issue Number Twelve: Final Battle with the Anti-Monitor where about 50 heroes intelligently take down the A-M. When he gets back up, he annihilates Wonder Woman with casual ease. In the end, Superman of Earth Two (with assists from Darkseid and Superboy of Earth-Prime) battles the A-M by, among other things, slaming him between two small moons. He finally kills the hating spirit of the being with a thunderous punch.

Regarding the Thing battle, the story did have its problems with heavy handed plotting (I shall destroy Earth if you can not best me in battle! Umm... we've chased off Galactus so screw off) and jobbing out some of Marvel's best. Still, that the Thing would not give up though thoroughly outclassed is pretty classic. It's his will, rather than battle skills, that save the day. Paraphrasing: "I could break your bones and shatter your body but NEVER could I crush your spirit!"

I know but it was so short. Barely a pannel was given to the fights. Thor was teleported away for not sticking with Boxing, Hulk also teleported away. He didin't really "beat" them.

Still, Ben gave his all and that's what I expect from him but the fight was short and the art was not what I'd hoped.

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Not truly a superhero fight, but one of my favorite fights was between Morpheus, the Lord of Dreams, and the Demon Archduke Azazel.

"You have displeased me, Azazel. And in light of your actions is was extremely unwise of you to reject my hospitality."

The second fight between Magneto and the New X-Men, back around Uncanny 112 and 113. Mags ambushed and imprisoned them pretty easily despite their raw power, but once they freed themselves and came up with a plan and used some teamwork, they kicked the crap out of Magneto in fairly short order, forcing him to cut and run. This became the X-Men's standard operating procedure, it seems - Plan A: Get your butts kicked badly. Plan B - Use the XP from that buttkicking to come back and beat your foe in the next issue.

The whole Masters of Evil storyline in Avengers where they attacked en masse and with a plan and came dangerously close to totally destroying the team.

The three part Nefaria story in Avengers where he gained his powers. Thor popping in at the end of the issue, throwing his hammer at Nefaria, after all the others had been beat down. Great cliffhanger.

I also remember being particularly impressed with the two- or three-parter in Amazing Spidey wherein the Tarantula mutated into a monstrous spider creature by the Brand Corporation (and Will o' the Wisp was also involved) that was pretty compelling also. Roger Stern script, JR Jr pencils from their heyday.

The three part Nefaria story in Avengers where he gained his powers. Thor popping in at the end of the issue, throwing his hammer at Nefaria, after all the others had been beat down. Great cliffhanger.

That cliffhanger also illustrated one of the greatest Presence Attacks I've ever seen in comics. Nefaria has just downed the entire Avengers lineup after a vicious fight, and is thinking of killing them while they're helpless. Suddenly bolts of lightning erupt all around him. The next panel is a half-page spread shown over Nefaria's shoulder of Thor, surrounded by lightning, cape swirling in the wind, face contorted in rage, hurling his hammer straight at the Count as he shouts: "THOU HAST DARED MUCH, VILLAIN... AND VERILY, THINE HOUR OF JUDGEMENT IS AT HAND!"

Gave me goosebumps. :D

Let's see where to begin...

So many great fights, here's a few of my faves off the top of my head, in no particular order:

1) Avengers 161/162 the Ant-Man/Ultron vs The Avengers, creation of Joacasta story. Brilliant.

2) Avengers vs the "suped" up Count Nefaria in issues 165 and 166. Had the spectacular Vision plummeting onto Nefaria at maximum mass and terminal velocity. Sheer genius.

3) The Avengers vs Korvac in Avengers #177. Probably the best superhero battle ever not only because of the action but also because of the fact that the Avenger's may have been on the wrong side. trivia fact: George Perez said it's the single issue which he most regrets not being able to draw. Just imagine if he had!

4) The all time classic! X-Men #112 and #113. The all time clasic, best ever fight between the ultimate X-Men lineup and the most powerful incarnation of Magneto. It doesn't get any better than this and, in fact, I modelled this battle as my inspiration for great combat in my early Champs GMing.

5) FF #259 and #260, the big show down between the re-empowered Terrax and the FF sans Reed and the Surfer. This was probably the last great work done by Byrne before he became the hack we know and loathe today.

6) FF #243 and #244. The attack on the FF by Terrax and their eventual defeat of Galactus! Another great moment from the best era in the business.

7) To complete the triptych, FF's #249 and 250 where they fight the disoriented Gladiator. A clasic look at "What If Superman fought the FF?"

8) The Death of Adam Warlock in Avengers Annual #7. Another great issue that blends poignant characterzations and excellent action with flawless storytelling. Maybe the best single issue of the Bronze Age ,IMO.

9) The Incredible Hulk Annual #5. Not a clasic maybe but a really issue with the Hulk fighting an army of old 1950's era Marvel monsters.

10) The Great Darkness Saga from LSH. The high water mark of the series which has never been equalled nonetheless surpassed. The only problem is the way my fave Mon-El got taken out so easily. Damn that Darkseid!

I could go on but I won't.

Vigil

I'm remembering a great battle between Spider-Man and Hobgoblin, Amazing Spider-Man #260. Spidey and the Hobgoblin are fighting, and bust into the ladies room of an office building. After Spidey knocks him back onto a toilet:

HG: Don't say a word! I know you're smirking beneath that mask.

SM: Who, me? Perish forbid!

Hobgoblin pulls a pumpkin bomb, and Spidey webs it to his fist, forcing the villain to extinguish the bomb by submerging it (fist and all) in the toilet. Hobgoblin furiously simmers, "You'll pay for this indignity!"

Classic :D

I know but it was so short. Barely a pannel was given to the fights. Thor was teleported away for not sticking with Boxing, Hulk also teleported away. He didin't really "beat" them.

Still, Ben gave his all and that's what I expect from him but the fight was short and the art was not what I'd hoped.

They were disqualified within the rules of combat. Thor was using a weapon (unsportsmanlike) and the Hulk was ripping up the ring instead of fighting.

Ben's performance in that story actuially made me ponder an "optional rule" where a Super could somehow use Ego rolls to avoid being KO'd when he ran out of STUN.

There's so many good ones, but the main one I can remember right now is when Captain America takes down the original Baron Blood, ending the fight by decapitating him with his shield. Now that was hardcore, esp. for ol' wing-head.

In animation, to me nothing will ever top the fight between Superman and Darkseid at the conclusion of the animated Superman series. I especially like the follwo-up of the fight: Superman tosses a bloody and broken Darkseid down to the Lowlies. "I've finished him. Now do as you will with him."

And what do they do? The Lowlies carefully gather Darkseid up and bear him away, stopping just long enough for Darkseid to tell Superman: "I have told you, I wear many masks. Here, to these, I am God."