Best SuperHero Fights ever

starblaze

Re: Best SuperHero Fights ever

How about these ones?

Superman vs. the Elite in Action 775. They wanted to prove he couldn't beat them without going 'over the line.' He did it anyway. :)

The Justice Society in a sort-of limited series from a few years ago. It was a two-parter, with six or seven 'in-between' issues with names from the Golden Age of Comics. They fought some sort of alien who wanted to end war by destroying the planet. Set in 1944, it's a great story and an impressive fight at the end of both issues.

Wonder Woman vs. Hawkman...in 1942. :) When Byrne redeemed himself in my eyes for many sins by giving us a Golden Age WW. Hippolyta goes back in time and serves alongside the Justice Society for eight years. I'm a huge Golden Age fan, and this works for me in a big way. Watching her and Hawkman go at it when they first meet was cool: sword vs. mace.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Suleyman Rashid

The Tick vs. Chair-face Chipendale was pretty good. I also liked his battle against the Idea Men. :)

Best moment is when he puts Pineapple Pokopo in a headlock, grasps his fronds, and proceeds to pull pin and throw.

Thanos vs. Earth's surviving heroes in Infinity Gauntlet #4.

And the following issue where it's Thanos against the assembled Cosmic Entities. Do we say stars used as missiles ?

Also:

Thanos (at his natural power level) vs. Odin. They manage to wreck half of Asgard in the process.

Avengers vs. Korvac.

Avengers vs. Nefaria in his "cosmic" debut.

Ultimates vs. the Chitauri fleet.

Avengers vs. the Ultron hordes in Ultron Unlimited

The whole culmination of Simonson's Surtur story arc: Thor, Beta Ray Bill, the Avengers, and the Asgardian Army fight Surtur and its hordes. later, Odin, Thor & Loki vs. Surtur.

Batman vs Superman in DKR

The Fury vs 'Mad' Jim Jaspers in Captain Britain

The Negative Man vs The Quiz in Doom Patrol

The Quiz has 'every super power except the ones you've thought of' so as the battle rages, Negative Man is frantically reciting a list of powers - 'heat vision!', 'superstrength', etc. He releases his negative spirit, which has the drawback that he can only survive 60 seconds while it is outside his body. The last panel of the fight shows the Negative Man collapsed in a heap, with the spirit trapped. The Quiz says, 'You forgot the power to create escape-proof spirit jars'. Classic.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I liked the one in JLA/Avengers much better. :)

Too short, though. With all the moves that those two can pull, you could stretch that fight out for a looong time.

OTOH there was one panel in the final issue of that series, when the JLA and Avengers are assaulting Krona's base, that showed Superman about to square off against Count Nefaria. I would pay good money to see that fight. :bounce:

Hades -- "Then to whom do you refer, who supposedly possesses the power to deny Hades in his own realm?"

Hercules *smirking* -- "Your wife."

And Hercules steps aside in the doorway to allow an incandescently pissed-off Persephone to storm into the room, all primed to give Hades an earful about how he's broken his promise to not go kidnapping mortals again. :D

Yeah, Hades was really regretting the DNPC points he got for Persophone on that occasion. Great stuff!

One of the Greatest Fights I will always remember is Secret Wars. The First Fight where the Villains Surprise the Heroes. All of Secret Wars will have a spot in my heart.

My favorite Secret Wars fight was Spidey vs. Titania. One line summed it all up: "Oh, and if we were fighting in a broom closet, that'd be fair?" So nice to see somebody winning with tactics!

From 1996, the Onslaught: Marvel Universe wrap up issue. While I detested the entire storyline, in the wrap up there are a couple of scenes that pull my heart strings. The X-Men have been beaten and beaten but they keep on rallying only to be beaten again. And then, out of the smoke come the Avengers, the FF and a collection of odds and sods including Namor, the Hulk and Dr. Doom.

Cap, lifting a pummeled Cyclops get the great line "Everybody breathing? Good... Backup's here."

Which then gets trumped by Reeds "We're earth's last line of defense people. Win or loose... we go out together."

And the fight is on.

Brings a lump to my throat every time and makes me really detest the Reed/Stark nut cases who are backing the mutant registration act rubbish that Marvel is putting out now.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but imo there are a few great team vs solo villain fights that come to mind:

1) The Avengers vs Korvac from Avengers #177. Probably the best team superhero fight of all time because the action was tied in with the underlying emotion. Classic work

2) The same applies to Magneto vs the X-Men from X-Men 112 and 113. I think these are the two best issues of the entire run of the series and Magneto's high water mark as a villain.

3) The Avengers vs Count Nefaria from 165 and 166. Really classic action and it answers the question, What If the Avengers Fought Superman. Well, I guess they'd beat him is the short answer.

4) the FF and the Silver Surfer vs Terrax. This has maybe the all time best cavalry charge with the Surfer appearing literally out of the blue to save the day. Brilliantly done.

5) the FF vs Galactus from issue 242-244. Doesn't get much bigger than that even though it was, basically, an anorexic Galactus that they fought.

Basically if Nicole Richie survived the death of our reality and was reborn into the next one but didn't want to eat planets because of all those icky calories and then fought the FF that's waht the above battle would be but it was pretty damn cool, anyway.

Vigil

I've always thought the best superhero battles were the ones between characters with identical or near-identical power sets--brick vs. brick, blaster vs. blaster, combat artist vs. combat artist, etc.

With that in mind, I offer these as my favorites--

Fantastic Four #25--"The Hulk Vs. The Thing!" The battle of the brawlers. Ben learns the leeson everyone learns fighting the Hulk--the madder he gets, the stronger he gets. First-rate art by "King" Kirby, first-rate dialogue by Stan "The Man"--

HULK: "FOOL! You are just a muscular freak! But I'm the HULK!"

THING: "I'll remember those words, playmate! They'll look great carved on your tombstone!"

Then, after the Hulk throws the Thing so hard he would have landed in the Hudson had he not snagged the ledge of a nearby building--

THING: "Somethin' tells me that crumb ain't gonna be as easy to clobber as I thought!"

Gee--YA THINK??? :nonp:

Fantastic Four Annual #4--"The Torch That Was!" The Thinker find the original Human Torch and brings him back to life. The Torch doesn't remember anything beyond his "birth" in Professor Horton's laboratory, and The Thinker tells him if he wants to remain alive, he'll do as he commands. The Torch is sent after Johnny Storm, and a spectacular battle ensues, including one full-page Kirby masterpiece of the two Torches colliding in a big ball of flame.

G.I. Joe--Don't remember the issue number, but it was Ace in his F-14 vs. Wild Weasel in his custom A-10 in a dogfight that would have had both Snoopy and The Red Baron drooling uncontrollably. The advantage passes back and forth, and they keep at it until they run out of missiles and ammo. They pass each other, salute, and head for home.

And another favorite--

JLA/Avengers #1--Batman gives the Punisher the royal pasting he so richly deserves. If only it hadn't been off-panel--

I agree, Hulk 316 was awesome.

And I agree that the Hulk vs Thing fights were, for the most part classic. I especially the one in FF 329 where the Thing had mutated into his spiky form with Class 100 STR and the Hulk was in his weaker Joe Fixit ID. The odds were on the Thing for once but the Hulk won by being smarter. Great twist.

The Avengers vs Defenders clash had some great fights, especially the hUlk vs Thor where they just grind to a halt, becoming immobile as they perfectly match each other's STR and neither will give up so they just don't move. Great stuff.

In the JLA/Avengers crossover I thought the one panel, one punch, victory of Cap over Prometheus was truly revealing. So much for the guy who wasted the entire JLA.

Cap is THE ultimate combat machine as he demonstrated in Avengers 52 or 53 when he took on the giant force simulacrum of Kang. Cap mastered the technology on the fly, during a combat against a foe who had literally lifetimes worth of experience with the technology while Cap was recovering from near endless battles for the last half dozen issues and he still managed to clearly defeat Kang, who is an almost unparalled strategist and tactician. Even guys like Thor acknowledge that Cap is the best, period.

Cap rules.

I'm partial to the alley fight in Watchmen #3. Laurie (Silk Spectre), still emotional and upset about Dr. Manhattan, and Dan (Night Owl), feeling a little flustered by Laurie's arrival a few minutes earlier, get cornered by a street gang in a dark alley.

Boy, did that gang ever pick the wrong two people to mug.

The fight is made better by the fact that fight scenes are intermixed with scenes from a television program where Dr. Manhattan gets ambushed with accusations that he's been causing cancer in everyone close to him. So there are really two ambushes going on at the same time. Great scene.

Cap is THE ultimate combat machine as he demonstrated in Avengers 52 or 53 when he took on the giant force simulacrum of Kang. Cap mastered the technology on the fly, during a combat against a foe who had literally lifetimes worth of experience with the technology while Cap was recovering from near endless battles for the last half dozen issues and he still managed to clearly defeat Kang, who is an almost unparalled strategist and tactician. Even guys like Thor acknowledge that Cap is the best, period.

Cap rules.

Eh, Batman could still take him...

(I kid, I kid...)

I'm remembering a fight now from the pages of The Hulk when Peter David was writing. At the time "Professor Hulk" knew he was the baddest man on the planet if he wanted to be. Naturally he holds back when he runs into a guy in a t-shirt that starts picking a fight with him. The guy in the t-shirt, who is as large as the Hulk himself, starts hitting the Hulk hard enough to hurt, and he simply won't go down. I remember one panel where the two are tangled and falling over a cliff where the Hulk thinks "This is no ordinary lumberjack..." Which, of course, he wasn't. He was Cain Marko. :thumbup:

Browsing this, just remembered -- the original New Warriors, back when they were pretty neat and not sucking hind *** -- New Warriors vs. Terrax. They're trying everything, and Speedball gets backhanded into a one-entrance still-being-built concrete sewer pipe -- a T-intersection, basically. He caroms around inside the thing, back and forth at increasingly higher speeds, then pops back out at a zillion MPH and transfers all that kinetic energy into Terrax, knocking him about half a mile. The entire team -- Namorita, Nova, Night Thrasher, Firestar, I forget who else was on the team -- all look towards Terrax-in-the distance as Speedball asks, "What'd I just do???" Someone: 'Dude, you just trashed him!!' Of course, it took the FF to slow him down a bit more, and then Silver Surfer swooped by, snagged Terrax, and left him on an evolving world for him to rule. 'Sentient life in maybe 400 million years ...'

Browsing this' date=' just remembered -- the original New Warriors, back when they were pretty neat and not sucking hind *** -- New Warriors vs. Terrax. They're trying everything, and Speedball gets backhanded into a one-entrance still-being-built concrete sewer pipe -- a T-intersection, basically. He caroms around inside the thing, back and forth at increasingly higher speeds, then pops back out at a zillion MPH and transfers [i']all[/i] that kinetic energy into Terrax, knocking him about half a mile. The entire team -- Namorita, Nova, Night Thrasher, Firestar, I forget who else was on the team -- all look towards Terrax-in-the distance as Speedball asks, "What'd I just do???" Someone: 'Dude, you just trashed him!!' Of course, it took the FF to slow him down a bit more, and then Silver Surfer swooped by, snagged Terrax, and left him on an evolving world for him to rule. 'Sentient life in maybe 400 million years ...'

I loved the Nova/Thing interaction in that. Rich was so annoyed when SS just took care of it so easy, Ben was less than sympathetic ;)