Best SuperHero Fights ever

starblaze

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Best SuperHero Fights ever

The Best Superhero Fight Ever, huh?

10) Batman vs. The Wrath (Batman Special #1, The Player on the Other Side)

9) Green Lantern vs. Goldface, issue 150, original Hal Jordan series

8) Spider Man vs. The Jackal, issue #149 of Amazing Spider Man

7) Captain America vs. The Red Skull, Captain America #250

6) Iron Man vs. Justin Hammer and the "Metal Elimination Squad" Iron Man #128

5) Wonder Woman vs. Artemis, the rematch for the title (I don't have an issue reference number on this one)

4) Avengers vs. Legion of Ultrons (Ultron, We would Have Words With Thee...) Embarrassingly, I don't have an issue reference number on this one

3) Justice League Rematch vs. the Appellaxian Aliens, Justice League of America original series #200

2) Justice League vs. Darkseid, for the very first time, JLA 179-181 "Apokolips Now" I'm pretty sure those were the issue numbers.

1) And our number one winner for the best superhero fight of all time is...

You guys will laugh at this one, but there aren't any bigger heroes or villains than these two guys.

Savage Dragon #31!!! GOD VS THE DEVIL!

I think Mantis was a way cool character, too.

Unfortunately I think she may have been too revolutionary for her own good.

Think about it, Mantis appeared around 1972, if I recall corrctly.

That was a full 3 years or so before Gamora, Storm and the revamped Marvel Girl would really start to revolutionize the image os superheroines as extremly competent and forceful in their own right.

Ms. Marvel had just appeared, if I recall correctly and was starting to make some inroads as was the Valkyrie over in the Defenders. In the Avengers, Moondragon was being a bit too women's lib-ish for her male counterparts.

At the time probably the two most visible heroines in Marvel were Sue Storm and Scarlet Witch. Wanda, while awesomely powerful, quickly ran out of juice and was, basically, a more or less minor threat, while Sue Storm was very much the supportive, team player hidden in the shadow of the men of the FF and still preceived as the weakest member of the group.

Mantis was different. She kicked the crap out of Thor (briefly) in her first confrontation with the Avengers. She was forceful and dynamic. I think she was, perhaps, so revolutionary that the writers quickly floundered in trying to find a proper niche for her.

Never mind the fact that she was, also, Vietnamese at a time when the Vietnamese were about as popular in America as Iraqis may be now.

And so they, basically, abandoned her.

It's a pity really cause she was so cool and she would never ever be used in any great stories after her initial appearance in Avengers.

Still it would be cool to see her and Val duke it out.

Vigil

And so they, basically, abandoned her.

It's a pity really cause she was so cool and she would never ever be used in any great stories after her initial appearance in Avengers.

Does the Celestial Madonna trade paperback and Avengers: Celestial Quest mini series sound like Marvel abandoned Mantis?

Me neither.

Think about it' date=' Mantis appeared around 1972, if I recall correctly. [/quote']

Avengers #112; June, 1973

That was a full 3 years or so before Gamora' date=' Storm and the revamped Marvel Girl would really start to revolutionize the image os superheroines as extremly competent and forceful in their own right. [/quote']

Gamora shows up in June/75, but never really took off. Storm first appeared in May/75, and the Phoenix in 1976. Both took a while to developp into powerhouses.

Ms. Marvel had just appeared' date=' if I recall correctly and was starting to make some inroads as was the Valkyrie over in the Defenders. In the Avengers, Moondragon was being a bit too women's lib-ish for her male counterparts. [/quote']

Ms. Marvel #1 is cover dated Jan/77, so still a long ways away. Valkyrie shows up in Defenders #4 (Feb/73). Moondragon started with the Avengers in #137 (July/75) as a probationary member after appearinglate in the Celstial Madonna storyline that wrapped up Mantis' story (finished in GS Avengers #4, right after Avengers #135). She first appeared in Iron Man #54, Jan/73, and appeared in Avengers #125 due to Thanos' involvement. She was also a Celestial Madonna candidate and stuck with the Avengers after that was resolved.

At the time probably the two most visible heroines in Marvel were Sue Storm and Scarlet Witch. Wanda' date=' while awesomely powerful, quickly ran out of juice and was, basically, a more or less minor threat, while Sue Storm was very much the supportive, team player hidden in the shadow of the men of the FF and still preceived as the weakest member of the group.[/quote']

Jean Grey was around as Marvel Girl, and the Wasp was in and out of appearances. All followed the Stan Lee formula of a single female team member whose powers tended to be of low combat utility.

Mantis was different. She kicked the crap out of Thor (briefly) in her first confrontation with the Avengers. She was forceful and dynamic. I think she was' date=' perhaps, so revolutionary that the writers quickly floundered in trying to find a proper niche for her. [/quote']

I think that she was Steve Engelhart's baby, intended for a single story arc. She was introduced, briefly appeared as an Avenger, then took center stage for the extended Celestial Madonna storyline, after which she was gone. I'm not sure anyone else was comfortable using her.

Does the Celestial Madonna trade paperback and Avengers: Celestial Quest mini series sound like Marvel abandoned Mantis?

Me neither.

hmmm...apears from 1972 to 1975.

Then disappears until early Silver Surfer (second series) in 1987, appearing for a few issues. Shows up briefly in West Coast Avengers in 1988, and Fantastic Four in 1989, all Eneglhart.

She shows up in the Crossing (1995), but that was retconned into a Space Phantom in Avengers Forever. Avengers: Celestial Quest (2001) is once again an Engelhart book.

[Thanks, Wiki and http://www.steveenglehart.com/]

So she did vanish for an extended period. The above also supports my conclusion that she was an Engelhart creation, and no one else ever really used the character.

I think that she was Steve Engelhart's baby,

[Thanks, Wiki and http://www.steveenglehart.com/]

So she did vanish for an extended period. The above also supports my conclusion that she was an Engelhart creation, and no one else ever really used the character.

I agree that Englehart is very fond of the character which may explain why it is his "baby". You said you read Wikipedia? If you did you'd know that Steve used Mantis under pseudonyms in DC and an independent comic continuing the Mantis' story. Cover art for the issues can be found at http://www.steveenglehart.com/]. To be fair, "Mantis" was used under pseudonyms for approx 4 issues, not that many really.

Also wikipedia says that Mantis was co-created by Englehart and Don Heck.

I agree.

The Iron Monger storyline was great as was the Justin Hammer/Devil in a Bottle storyline from the 120's.

I also really enjoyed the first War Machine storyline from, I believe the 270's or so.

Plus Iron Man vs the Hulk from 119 or 120 or 121 (can't remeber which issue specifically) was really excellent.

At the time one of the things that i liked about Iron Man was that he regularly fought foes who were more powerful or skilled than he and he had to use his brains, which made the man as important as the iron, as it were.

Plus, his technology seemed to have very real limitations. He simply couldn't build a set of armor powerful enough to directly combat someone like Thor or the Hulk. Now, sadly, that limitation is no more. Now, it seems, there's no limit to his technology or his power. He simply builds whatever suit he needs for whatever purpose and "presto whammo" problem solved. It makes one think that maybe Doc Doom should shop at Tony's garage sales because he doesn't seem to be capable of the same sorts of leaps.

And don't even get me started on the "futurist" bullshit being shovelled in the worst storyline in Avengers history (even worse than Avengers Disassembled), Civil war. What a load of cynical, meanspirited bullshit.

Vigil

X-Men vs. The Mauraders.

Riptide was a mutant that could spin like a top really quickly and would throw throwing stars at high velocity, killing a lot of people and putting a serious hurtin' on Wolverine. Riptide is spinning around laughing to his buddy Harpoon about all the death they are causing, when Colossus walks up to Riptide, throwing stars bouncing off him, grabs Riptide by the neck, and snaps it. Colossus then looks at Harpoon and says, "HARPOON! Make peace with your gods little man, you are next". My mind immediately went to how many bonus presence dice that would be.

I agree that Englehart is very fond of the character which may explain why it is his "baby". You said you read Wikipedia? If you did you'd know that Steve used Mantis under pseudonyms in DC and an independent comic continuing the Mantis' story. Cover art for the issues can be found at http://www.steveenglehart.com/]. To be fair, "Mantis" was used under pseudonyms for approx 4 issues, not that many really.

Also wikipedia says that Mantis was co-created by Englehart and Don Heck.

Don Heck you say!

JLA vs the White Martians.

Yeah it was the first appearnce of the true Bat-god but even so that was a cool fight. Batman "I know what you are.". Diana and Clark's fights were each cool, and the broadcast to the planet, and everyone holding up fire, like they were at a worldwide rock concert. Just loved it.

Ulitmate Cap vs Hulk and the later Ultimate Cap vs Goliath.

Just like seeing Cap (regular or ultimate) kickin' but and both those fights were great. In the goliath fight he wouldn't even use his fists until Goliath grew, he just slapped him around before that.

It seems you and I have similar tastes!:rockon:

In Justice League Unlimited animation, I would add Superman vs Captain Marvel. And Thor VS. Superman in JLA/Avengers.

• 10 months later...

142 posts, and no one mentioned my favorite...

Cyclops versus the X-Men, X-Men #176 (one of the first X-comics I ever read).

Mastermind uses his illusion powers to make the rest of the team think Cyclops is Dark Phoenix. Cyke had a few minutes to prepare, lures the rest of the team into a Danger Room simulation, and proceeds to take them down one by one. Best of all, he does so in such a way that his teammates recover just in time to catch up to him when he uncovers what Mastermind is doing.

They even followed it up in #177 with Cyclops on his honeymoon with Madeline Pryor, taking on a giant squid after their plane crashes in the ocean... :D

I don't know if this was mentioned or not; during the series Justice League, and the Lex Luthor for President story arc, there's a massive battle between Captain Marvel and Superman where they get to level a small city. Absolutely stellar. One of my all time favorite fights, evarz.

I don't know if this was mentioned or not; during the series Justice League' date='[/i'] and the Lex Luthor for President story arc, there's a massive battle between Captain Marvel and Superman where they get to level a small city. Absolutely stellar. One of my all time favorite fights, evarz.

It also shows how expensive it would be to build Captain Marvel's Instant Change ability... :)

It also shows how expensive it would be to build Captain Marvel's Instant Change ability... :)

Seeing as he used it as an EB on Big Blue? Yeah, I was thinking about that. Clearly it's a 0 END ability, Indirect, Always comes from above -- but I would assume it's just built as a Compound Power, non? It's a giant bolt of lightning to which he has "Personal Immunity" because the effect of him getting hit is getting transformed.

Uncanny X-Men #183, super powered bar brawl between Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin and Cain Marko, both in civvies.

The irony is that neither of them realize that Pete's drunken clumsyness, which started the fight, also probably saved Cain's life. The woman Cain was trying to pick up, who left during the fight with someone with a remarkable resemblance to Chris Claremont, was Selene.