Best SuperHero Fights ever

starblaze

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Best SuperHero Fights ever

I have a soft spot in my heart for the drunken barfight between Juggernaught and Collosus from the JR jr days of the X-men.

Uncanny X-Men #183, super powered bar brawl between Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin and Cain Marko, both in civvies.

The irony is that neither of them realize that Pete's drunken clumsyness, which started the fight, also probably saved Cain's life. The woman Cain was trying to pick up, who left during the fight with someone with a remarkable resemblance to Chris Claremont, was Selene.

yah, that's the one!

I'd totally forgotten about the Selene bit

Well, the series was only passible and Texiera should never be allowed to draw anyone, but there is a one page "Fight" between Hercules and the Abomination that is funny.

I kinda dug Erik Larsen's Hercules vs Thor fight, even if the barbarian with the toy hammer won. It was more like how I see them. Herakles was the noble intellectual and Thor was the lumbering brute that Marvel tends to make Herc, when they aren't making him an Angsty drunkard. Have I mentioned that I hate Marvel? No?

Ah, poor Petey...they got the ideas for Worf from Colossus. Even mentioned in comic once when the X-Men went to fight Moses Magnum. The X-men were tunneling into Magnum's Lair (Cyclops destroying the rock) and Colossus sticks his head through the hole first, and Moses, who had never before exhibited superhuman powers, grabs him by the throat and tosses him through a wall.

Colossus, barely hanging onto a cliff, pulls himself up and after admonishing himself for being little more use to his fellow X-Men as a punching bag, storms back in and goes nuts on Magnum's Mandroid Clad Security Detail. It was not much but at least for once they threw him a bone.

He also once came up from under the ground on the Blob and negated his Immovability.

It's a little more difficult to take seriously, but just prior to the X-Men doing the "Legends" bit where they moved to Australia, the Blob basically sat on Wolverine, who bubsnikted him in the tuckus and he somehow launched himself into the air. Colossus who had been away from his team mates, materialized (thanks to ...Gateway? was that the aborigine) and then connected with a roundhouse that sent the already airborne Blob across town.

Good times.

Micro Rant. I always hated the fact that Rogue seemed to make better use of Colossus' might than he did. I know she usually had other powers but it was like the rest of the X-Men were her goddam caddies.

"For Apokolyps I will need my Five Iron. Pete?"

:rofl:

not lil Miss Deux Ex "Nyah Nyah, I sleep with the GM" Machina?

I mean' date=' he's got a few sweet fights. Especially in [i']Full Contact[/i].

Hrm. Mike, I know you aren't a video gamer yourself, but if you can get to someone's house who is, see if you can talk them into renting Stranglehold, the official sequel to Hard Boiled. 100% Hong Kong Goodness. Weapons that never need to be reloaded, bullet time and doves. And mooks.

Hundreds. Upon hundreds. Of mooks. Sliding down bannisters while shooting people, flopping onto (and somehow steering) carts, the whole nine. You'd love it. Play it on easy and you'll probably survive just fine.

Well, the series was only passible and Texiera should never be allowed to draw anyone, but there is a one page "Fight" between Hercules and the Abomination that is funny.

I kinda dug Erik Larsen's Hercules vs Thor fight, even if the barbarian with the toy hammer won. It was more like how I see them. Herakles was the noble intellectual and Thor was the lumbering brute that Marvel tends to make Herc, when they aren't making him an Angsty drunkard. Have I mentioned that I hate Marvel? No?

Herakles? Noble Intellectual? :nonp:

I have read quite a few of the Herakles myths and in none of them is he portrayed as an intellectual. Brighter then Marvel's usual portrayal of him maybe but no intellectual. Chiron might've taught him philosophy but Herakles didn't devote a whole lot of time to it's study as he was usually off slaying monsters or carousing with women.

The noble intellectual thing sounds more like a modern reinterpretation.

Uncanny X-Men #183, super powered bar brawl between Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin and Cain Marko, both in civvies.

The irony is that neither of them realize that Pete's drunken clumsyness, which started the fight, also probably saved Cain's life. The woman Cain was trying to pick up, who left during the fight with someone with a remarkable resemblance to Chris Claremont, was Selene.

Oh, cool, thanks for sharing that! That fight/scene has always stuck in my head, too, but if I recognized Selene at the time I didn't remember it. And I wouldn't have gotten the Claremont bit. :)

Oh' date=' cool, thanks for sharing that! That fight/scene has always stuck in my head, too, but if I recognized Selene at the time I didn't remember it. And I wouldn't have gotten the Claremont bit. :)[/quote']

IIRC, it was actually a bit of foreshadowing, in that they hadn't explained who or what Selene was yet. I could be wrong tho. It WAS a while ago.

The last few Harry Potter film fight scenes shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

They ought be seen first, then dismissed, with notes taken for future reference.

Spiderman vs. Wolverine.

Batman vs. Guy Gardner. (I found it satisfying on multiple levels.)

Wonder Woman vs. the guy in the gorilla suit.

Dark Matter Hulk vs. Namor

Punisher vs Wolverine

1. Spider Man, Dare Devil, and Wolverine team up to take down the Punisher. When they find him he is slapping around a guy on the street. When they close, the Punisher runs away and they have to deal with the drunken Bruce Banner who transforms into the Hulk.

2. The Punisher blows off Wolverine's face with a shotgun and while he is struggling to heal. The Punisher runs him over with an Asphalt Roller, parks it on him and leaves.

3. Captain America vs Crossbones.

Cheers

QM

Herakles? Noble Intellectual? :nonp:

I have read quite a few of the Herakles myths and in none of them is he portrayed as an intellectual. Brighter then Marvel's usual portrayal of him maybe but no intellectual. Chiron might've taught him philosophy but Herakles didn't devote a whole lot of time to it's study as he was usually off slaying monsters or carousing with women.

The noble intellectual thing sounds more like a modern reinterpretation.

Sorry, perhaps Noble Intellectual was too strong. However, Greek Learning vs Norse Barbarian was the main difference.

Marvel's Thor is the height of Comic Nobility, he is honorable and proper.

I had not read anything like that in my mythology books.

Herakles is written in Marvel comics as a doofus. Not so in Larsen's Godworld.

Sorry, perhaps Noble Intellectual was too strong. However, Greek Learning vs Norse Barbarian was the main difference.

I wouldn't say he was a doofus. A carouser who is overly fond of the booze certainly, but that's hardly inconsistent with the legends.

I've heard that two of the best depictions of Thor as he is in the myths is his appearance in Alan Moore's Top 10 and in Sandman (Season of the Mists).

Oh, SO MANY!!!

I loved soooo many of the battles listed above. Here are a few more that have stayed with me since the day I read them:

Daredevil #163: Daredevil battles the Hulk!

It was incredible to witness the Man Without Fear battle against all odds and refusing to quit though his life would inevitably be lost! Inspiring!!!

“Hulk grabs Daredevil by the wrist and throws him through the air and into a building. Daredevil hits the building and falls onto a nearby roof. Daredevil says that there was nothing he could do. He says that the Hulk is too strong and that he is lucky to be alive. He says that if he stopped now no one would blame him. He says that no one would know... except him. He would always know he backed down.”

Uncanny X-Men #137: X-Men vs. Shi’ar Imperial Guard!

The intense culmination of the Dark Phoenix Saga coupled with Byrnes fantastic art made this one of the greatest battles ever!

Uatu: "Jean Grey could have lived to become a God. But it was more important that she die... a human."

Daredevil #181: Bullseye Vs. Electra- One wins, one dies!

No words. Millar was at the top of his game! The battle flowed from one amazing martial maneuver to another in a wicked dance culminating in a brutal gutting. Magnificently horrifying yet pionient.

"You're good... but me, I'm magic"

Sooo many more…

Kingdom Come #4: Captain Marvel Vs. Superman

I am not a man nor a god… But you Billy, you are both.”

Thor #337-338: Thor vs. Beta Ray Bill - ”Whosoever holds this hammer…"

Avengers #177: The end of the Korvac Saga!

"On the plane of physical reality, Starhawk strikes first. "For Aleta -- for the Universe!" The Enemy tumbles backwards, the stunning impact of the blow ripping through the sum of his being. Somewhere in the depths of the cosmos within his mind, a planet shatters -- and in unison, the billion billion souls who inhabit the sub-reality of The Enemy's id scream in utter horror as their entire dimension trembles!"

Dark Knight Returns #4: Superman Vs. Batman

Avengers #148: Avengers Vs. The Squadron Supreme!!!

Avengers #158: Vision Vs. Wonder Man!!!

Avengers #159: Avengers Vs. Graviton!!!!

Avengers #165-6: Avengers Vs. Count Nefaria!!!

Avengers #171: ULTRON!!!!!!!!!!!

Avengers #183-4: Avengers Vs. The Absorbing Man!!!

AAAACK!!! I have to stop… and I’m only on the A’s :eek: