Your "2006" Pet Gaming Projects

TheQuestionMan

Re: Your "2006" Pet Gaming Projects

Jei is all stated out. An old version is on my website -- the newer one will have revised powers and a rebuilt multi-power.

Ooo, was that a re-draw, or just based on a pose of a different character? The grassy region isn't Jei-like in the sense of who he is, but... it works as a contemporary peice.

Which reminds me, I'd better get that scanner plugged in and send you a book cover that I think you'll want to use as a ref for your Newton HERO project...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooo' date=' was that a re-draw, or just based on a pose of a different character? The grassy region isn't Jei-like in the sense of who he is, but... it works as a contemporary peice.[/quote']

That is a free-hand redraw of a Stan Sakai panel (i.e. I didn't trace anything).

My pet projects include:

Playing. Just playing in a nice short Terran Empire campaign.

My personal conversion of as many FASERIP Marvel characters as possible.(It's one reason I'm eyeing Hero Designer software)

Specing out another way to interpret The Force.

Hopefully, a little playing in Hudson City.

Designing my own SF universe that has some elements of Traveller, Star Trek: TOS, and Robotech. I'm still in the early nebulous thoughts concerning this one.

I hope everyone else enjoys their projects, 'cause if it's no fun why bother.

I hope everyone else enjoys their projects' date=' 'cause if it's no fun why bother.[/quote']

I enjoy my projects, alright, though they do tend to get a bit out of hand. My current "main project" (and it'll do for the 2006 one until it's finished and another idea puts me in a headlock) is the Ravenswood Academy Yearbook for my Teen Champions campaign. I'm currently working on getting full write-ups done for all the non-traditional students, and am posting them (and the Hero Designer files for them) to my website as I get them done.

• 1 month later...

Well' date=' since my Star Hero project got abandoned, and my Infinity Crisis campaign of Champions is starting to get really good, I'd say that my Post-Apocalypse Campaign preliminary work is my pet project for 2006.[/quote']

That was me on New Year's Day.

What a difference six months makes! The Infinity Crisis of Champions campaign got as far as the triggering event, and then all of my players' schedules changed! :(

After two abortive attempts to restart Champions in a parallel universe, the entire project is on hiatus. That gave me a chance to dust off Star Hero, and though the Outbound project was still shelved, I ran an STL "mini-series" (a single adventure which spans several sessions) with a different group. June isn't looking good for gaming, but hopefully July will settle things down again with a Fantasy Hero mini-series before I can gather the players of the Infinity Crisis for the second half of the story arc there.

Matt "Too-many-irons" Frisbee

That was me on New Year's Day.

What a difference six months makes! The Infinity Crisis of Champions campaign got as far as the triggering event, and then all of my players' schedules changed! :(

After two abortive attempts to restart Champions in a parallel universe, the entire project is on hiatus. That gave me a chance to dust off Star Hero, and though the Outbound project was still shelved, I ran an STL "mini-series" (a single adventure which spans several sessions) with a different group. June isn't looking good for gaming, but hopefully July will settle things down again with a Fantasy Hero mini-series before I can gather the players of the Infinity Crisis for the second half of the story arc there.

Matt "Too-many-irons" Frisbee

Have you concidered assigning each Gamer their own Champions Earth? Yah know so everybody could GM while using crossovers and all with simular characters?

Hmmm...

QM

Have you concidered assigning each Gamer their own Champions Earth? Yah know so everybody could GM while using crossovers and all with simular characters?

Hmmm...

QM

Good thought, but only if the rest of the players could (or would want to) GM. I'm the GM that has to make their characters for them because they don't know the system well enough (or don't want to learn it, or can't afford to buy it, etc.). One has to play the cards dealt, so I'm not unhappy, but it's just not possible with my group. Thanks for your interest, though.

Matt "Doin'-it-all" Frisbee

Good thought, but only if the rest of the players could (or would want to) GM. I'm the GM that has to make their characters for them because they don't know the system well enough (or don't want to learn it, or can't afford to buy it, etc.). One has to play the cards dealt, so I'm not unhappy, but it's just not possible with my group. Thanks for your interest, though.

Matt "Doin'-it-all" Frisbee

With my current Gaming Group. They did not know Hero System, but had the Sidekick and later everyone picked up the 5th Edition Revised. A good sign of good GMing or enthusiastic gamers? I do not know?

Cheers

QM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I"m way behind on write-ups, something I had intended to do better with, for the games I run at home.

But the system/game I'm working on is doing pretty well, I am struggling, but in a good way,with writing up a real version now, playtesting having gone as far as it can go at this point, and will be hawking it more I guess now. I'm referring to Cyber Ninja Pirates in Space.

A Dogs in the Vineyard campaign has gone pretty well this year, I had indicated the setting, which could be used for HERO or other such systems, here before.

Lots of stuff on my "to do" list remains there, but at least my commitments (con games, personal games) have gone well.

My project for this year is Hudson City 1938, a pulp supers campaign starring the Vigilance Society of America. The game is going great, I'm just finding that I don't have quite enough prep time to get everything going the way I want it. Still, things will come.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, For Fantasy/D&D

I'm creating a Campaign Setting Abra Dar. A pseudo Celtic/Yamato feel. [edit]It is still under heavy construction[/edit]

Also, a Searchable Spells Database that is currently written, I just need to do the data entry (thousands of spells, including those from Killer Shrike [with permission]).

Other

I plan on doing an Equipment Database as well, which will again take time for data entry.

I've also been designing fictional martial arts, and some specific items (prefabs, templates, exports) for Hero Designer, which, as my programming capabilities improve I will be able to do more with.

But by far, I have to say my campaign setting is my biggest endeavor and will probably take at least another year for me to get even close to a finished product.

All of this is on my website which also has some discussion boards of its own.

Rather than find my old post and put in an essentially hidden "edit." my latest and greatest 2006 (and hopefully many years to come) Gaming Project is my campaign and website. To date, I can honestly say that I am as happy as a clam.

Admittedly, I would really like to set up a fantasy campaign to go along with the SciFi one, but I don't want to overwhelm either myself or my players.

Added nolgroth's and Shike019's "2006" Pet Gaming Projects

nolgroth's "2006" Gaming Project is my campaign and website.

Heroic Frontiers: Gemini Ascendant

http://home.comcast.net/%7Eilmarith/index.html

Shike019's"2006" Gaming Project is my campaign and website.

Abra Dar - Campaign Setting (pseudo Celtic/Yamato feel).

http://shike.frih.net/abradar/

Searchable Spells Database

http://shike.frih.net/hero/fantasy/spells.php

Searchable Equipment Database

(Oh Yeah baby!)

Hero Designer fictional martial arts (prefabs, templates, exports)

(Dude!?!)

My "Family game" (mentioned in posts 7 & 62)...

We've had 8 or so sessions, with major gaps being 2nd qtr 2006 due to work pressures, and late summer due to travel. Next session probably in October.

The flavor of the game is fairly low-powered Heroic to start, I think 50+50, with an overall atmosphere that leans heavily on Satruday morning cartoons, specifically Xiaolin Showdown. All the PCs are novice monks, with martial arts, in a pre-gunpowder sort of world, populated by anthropomorphic animals. In addition to the martial arts, other flavor is introduced by most powers running off a modified END reserve (labeled "Chi") which is recharged with the Meditation skill; these powers are not, so far, in the "six-gun magic" domain -- no EB's, RKA's, etc. This being a game mostly for my kids, there are some unsubtle moral situations being examined and exercised in the course of gameplay, with the world being mostly black-and-white and only rare, carefully considered grey areas.

The GM (me) constructed all the characters after consulting with the players; for three (two kids and my sister-in-law) of the four players, this is their first experience with RPGs. In addition to a "novice monk" package, all the PCs have a non-Chi-based inherent power created on an individual basis after consultation:

• Beauregard the hound dawg has a sharply limited Teleport plus extra Leaping and Running ability, which he can use only in response to being given a "Fetch, dawg!" command, which includes throwing the object to be retrieved.
  • Pepper the cat has a Chesire-cat-like Invisibility which she can sustain only as long as she keeps smiling; any offensive manuver also shuts it off.
  • Fling the macaque has a weak (6d6) short-duration receive-only Telepathy ability, suitable for reading an opponent's plans in combat.
  • Honey the sugar glider has (by construction) a natural Gliding ability; her limited Power is a single-move (10") upwards-only Flight ("Flying Start") so that she can get airborne in the first phase.

All these "natural" powers have 3 charges/day. Chi-based powers, by constrast, can be used as long as one has the Chi to pay.

The original party (three PCs) made it through an "icebreaker" session negotiating a week-long walk from their hometown to the major city of Rana, site of the nearest of the Seven Great Schools. (The frame story plan involves visits to all the Great Schools, which are scattered across the kingdom, each having different emphasis and different lessons to teach, as the PCs move up the monastic progression.) The fourth PC joined there.

At the School of the Green Eye there's been combat-like exercises in the Hazard Room after they were admitted (mostly to get everyone used to the mechanics of the game). Another session featured a fight with thugs in one of the city's slums, from whom they captured a magic item that went to an NPC ally. They've had the first session in the sewers of Rana, which featured doing slime control (carrying casks of stuff to specific points in the sewers which are infested by various inimical blob-like species). They also were surprised to encounter a hidden room with a bunch of zombies (which in the game-world are created by use of a perhaps-magical mind-destroying drug). They overcame the zombies and plundered the room, but the identity of the zombies' creator/master is unknown at this point. The last session ended with the plundering. All of the PCs have new magic items (although at this point they don't know how to use them at all) as a result.

The next session will probably be completing the sewer adventure, which includes a second epsiode of slime control, and perhaps a tussle with some more thugs who have established residence illegally in the sewers.

Further items in the plan before they leave the city involve, perhaps, an annual school tournament, some more conflict with civilian outlaws, and the first foreshadowings of an emergent major adversary. The final episode will be when each of them is introduced to the kami of the School's Greater Courtyard, a resident spirit of the place; for no two people does the kami appear the same. This introduction marks the culmination of their first tour through the Green Eye School; after that, they will leave Rana and proceed to another School.

Hello Again --

Updates for the year to date.

Infinity Crisis ended early this year just as the major plotline got rolling (typical). Look for the "Bay City Rollers" thread in the Champions Forum to see how it turned out.

My Post-Apoc Campaign never flew -- not enough interest.

Currently, I am running a DC:TAS campaign titled "Knightshift Stories" and for the latest on how it is doing, check out the thread by that title in the DarK Champions forum.

I ran a short Fantasy Hero campaign, but by universal consent, we switched it over to a more traditional AD&D 1st Edition campaign I have dubbed "Kambria Knights."

Thanks for keeping us all up to date, QuestionMan! I'm sending rep your way!

Matt "The-busy-GM" Frisbee

I'm still hammering away at my Kamarathin Gameworld for Fantasy Hero: http://www.curufea.com/hero/doku.php?id=kamarathin:start

I'm also working off and on with a co-op game world in a post apoc setting that I'm just calling 'World': http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48223