Weekend Warriors -- Campaign Log

Edsel

Re: Weekend Warriors -- Campaign Log

Hi Edsel!

I just finished reading the session 14 summary. This campaign is making me sincerely envious -- the amount of action (IMHO) while frenetic right now, is coming off a period when everyone had to lay low, so I'm thinking it has been appropriate. The problem of having too much happen too fast occurs in my campaign as well, but I only get complaints from my players when things are going too slowly, so you shouldn't worry about it. Downtime can be covered with a couple of dice rolls and a few sentences, after all.

As for Crucible's problem of missing the action -- I would suggest not doing anything for it. If the character misses enough combat, the player will start getting the idea of keeping his character in contact with the others in case they need some help. Occasionally, due to player unpredictability, I have someone miss out on the main fight. I keep the player busy by recruiting him to play some of the bad guys in the fight, usually by giving him an objective and then tactical freedom to try to achieve it. My crowd loves having the opportunity to dish it out to the other PC's on occasion.

If the characters are running ragged and aren't using some means of keeping themselves alert or getting proper rest, then I usually start shaving off some of their OCV & DCV bonus levels due to their increasing exhaustion. If it gets past 48 hours, then I start shaving CON, DEX, SPD, REC & END. (I have never used long-term END rules.)

Overall, though, this campaign could turn goat **** into gasoline -- great job! (I hate to say it, but I'm looking forward to full details on Giles' date with Rally...)

Matt "Hopelessly-gushing-fanboy" Frisbee

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Crucible's problem of missing the action -- I would suggest not doing anything for it. If the character misses enough combat' date=' the player will start getting the idea of keeping his character in contact with the others in case they need some help. [/quote']

The only problem with Crucibles character missing out on the action (me) is that it isn't my fault for not being a team player. To the contrary, the reason I have sat twiddling my thumbs for the last two sessions is because I am a team player. I am the only sufficently skilled character capable of following Mrs Fordham, whom we have a high degree of confidence will prove to be our only lead into the Card Shark fiasco. It isn't about "getting the idea," I'd love to abandon Mrs Fordham and play with the guys instead of watching them play but since no other party member can navigate this role and we have determined that it is a priority that sorta leaves me stuck. And there is plenty of contact ~ if you read the log you'll see that I suggested some of the actions undertaken, but none-the-less I am forced into the role of a spectator to the game.

:slap:

(I hate to say it' date=' but I'm looking forward to full details on Giles' date with Rally...)[/quote'] That whole relationship has mostly been handled out of game via email and private conversations between myself and the player of Sweeper. Mainly because I have always felt a little strange trying to roleplay the part of a female love interest. However next session I will probably try to play out at least a little of the date because I am curious to see how the player reacts.

Glad you are enjoying the campaign log.:)

The only problem with Crucibles character missing out on the action (me) is that it isn't my fault for not being a team player. To the contrary, the reason I have sat twiddling my thumbs for the last two sessions is because I am a team player. I am the only sufficently skilled character capable of following Mrs Fordham, whom we have a high degree of confidence will prove to be our only lead into the Card Shark fiasco. It isn't about "getting the idea," I'd love to abandon Mrs Fordham and play with the guys instead of watching them play but since no other party member can navigate this role and we have determined that it is a priority that sorta leaves me stuck. And there is plenty of contact ~ if you read the log you'll see that I suggested some of the actions undertaken, but none-the-less I am forced into the role of a spectator to the game.

:slap:

Okay, I stand corrected. I had a similar role in a game where I played a pascifist superhero who spent combat sessions rescuing people and getting innocents out of the battle area, then patching up the heroes and villains after the fight, lamenting that there had to be a better way to solve problems than by using force. :) The other characters finally got sick of the routine and let my character handle one of their situations -- my character decoyed the bad guy away to a construction site, where the hero instructed his mates to quickly coat the bad uberbrick in concrete and fenced him in with girders and bulldozers until he ran out of steam. No less property damage but less risk to the population and no casualties afterwards...

Anyway, sorry about spouting off -- I should have read a little more carefully. In any event, I think Edsel is going to pay off your team work and spectator status with a combat scene of your own -- so be careful what you wish for... :)

Matt "Looking-around-for-some-cover-now" Frisbee

In any event, I think Edsel is going to pay off your team work and spectator status with a combat scene of your own -- so be careful what you wish for... :)

Matt "Looking-around-for-some-cover-now" Frisbee

There's the funny part. I know I can't take a Card Shark deck agent much less one of the cappos (If you read carefully most of the abductions were handled be Deadman's Hand or Poker Face... One of those guys would hand me my hind end). I am gonna need to be real creative but mostly this will wind up as a game of "catch-me-if-you-can" style of trying to stay close enough to find where all the captives are hidden while not confronting any ugly boys.

It'll be interesting to say the least - let's hope it does not require me to build a new character. :help:

That whole relationship has mostly been handled out of game via email and private conversations between myself and the player of Sweeper. Mainly because I have always felt a little strange trying to roleplay the part of a female love interest. However next session I will probably try to play out at least a little of the date because I am curious to see how the player reacts.

Glad you are enjoying the campaign log.:)

I too, am looking forward to this date, I just have no earthly clue as to what can possibly go wrong on a date! :rolleyes:

Crimany, it's been almost 30 years since I've had one! (been married for almost 28):o

The biggest problem, is that I will have to miss the next session.:eek: Something about a two week vacation with the wifey.:celebrate:sneaky::drink:

NightStick is giving up a session of my game to go on some silly Caribbean cruise with his wife. Some people just don't have their priorities straight.;)

Since the date has a low possibility of turning into a combat situation (unless he really says the wrong thing) I guess we'll just handle that part via email. A few messages back and forth ought to help me determine how it will go and then I can let the creative writer within me go free.

The first portion of Sweepers intentions for the "Date" have been sent to Edsel for his amusement. What transpires next is....:rolleyes:

I hope that we can resolve it before next Thursday, as we leave at 4:00am for the brewing storms in the Caribbean.:celebrate

It would be TWO WEEKS before any thing could be "resolved".:eek:

Hopefully nature will take its course and lead the charactors down a road of bliss.:angel::love::winkgrin:

Alright, I can dream, Can't I?:hush:

How does your wife feel about you trying to get your character laid while you are on vaction with her? :D

There is something VERY wrong with your view of what is going on here!:eg:

:DBesides, What she doesn't know about, isn't going to hurt her anyway!

Now follow closely....If I'm gonna get some, :nya:

Shouldn't my charactor get some too?:yes:

As they used to say...Three more & a wake up! :winkgrin:

:celebrate

There is something VERY wrong with your view of what is going on here!:eg:

:DBesides, What she doesn't know about, isn't going to hurt her anyway!

Now follow closely....If I'm gonna get some, :nya:

Shouldn't my charactor get some too?:yes:

As they used to say...Three more & a wake up! :winkgrin:

:celebrate

Honestly, I think Riding Bean may have something to say about who is getting nookie from Rally Vincent -- though Minnie May will, no doubt, be broadcasting it to the world, if and when it happens.

Just don't mess up the leather in Rally's car, okay? It's a classic! :)

Matt "Drooling-Gunsmith-Cats-fanboy" Frisbee

Honestly' date=' I think Riding Bean may have something to say about who is getting nookie from Rally Vincent -- though Minnie May will, no doubt, be broadcasting it to the world, if and when it happens.[/quote']

Riding Bean Who?:confused:

Just don't mess up the leather in Rally's car, okay? It's a classic! :)

Matt "Drooling-Gunsmith-Cats-fanboy" Frisbee

Haven't you ever heard of using protection?:eek:

That's what the Armorall Trojans are for!:hush:

Surrealistically though, we are in an alternate timeline from the traditional storyline that the Japanese Manga deals with!

Rally has not yet succumbed to his wiley ways--she is falling for mine!!!!!!!!!!!:eg:

Bean Bandit has yet to make an appearance in the campaign. If and when I introduce that character Rally may already be involved with Sweeper. The Rally and Sweeper story line really makes a lot of sense when you think about it. They are both about the same age. Both of them have missing family and they had to go it alone in the world for several years. Due to their history neither one is very adept at these sorts of social interactions. In short they have a lot in common. I don't know if Bean will ever enter the story line but by the time he does Rally may already be committed to a relationship with Sweeper. I may base borrow stuff from the published manga and anime but I am by no means bound to it.

For my own nefarious schemes their relationship may work out pretty well. I may figure out ways to link the coincidences in their backgrounds. Sweeper's player has never been exposed to any of the Gunsmith Cats stuff so I may steal plot ideas from there to incorporate into my game. Now Nightstick has become interested enough in the Rally Vincent character he is talking about borrowing some of my manga, but that's fine I don't follow the plots verbatum anyway. Some of the Gunsmith Cats villians would fit right into this campaign.

I am also batting around some ideas for a romantic interest for Kierian Foster (Crucible). Right now I am thinking about introducing a consultant to work some with the VOLT Foundation. A mysterious, strong-willed, German lady named Satella Harvenheit. Another character almost nobody in my group will recognize. Perhaps someone else, I am still thinking about it.

On a side note there appears to be a lot of scheduling difficulty for this weekend's game so we may be forced to skip a session, or have an abbreviated session. We'll see.

though Minnie May will, no doubt, be broadcasting it to the world, if and when it happens.

So noted.:eg:

I seriously doubt that Sweeper has anything less that honorable intentions towards Rally though. I expect this to be a long courtship (a true love story).

I seriously doubt that Sweeper has anything less that honorable intentions towards Rally though. I expect this to be a long courtship (a true love story).

Um, Edsel? Have you been reading his posts here, lately? :) It may be honorable, but there's definately some ulterior motives there...

Not like any heterosexual male wouldn't in a similar situation...

*sigh* Don'cha just love young love?

Matt "Wiggling-eyebrows-and-all-that-nudge-nudge-wink-wink-stuff" Frisbee

It may be honorable, but there's definately some ulterior motives there...

Matt "Wiggling-eyebrows-and-all-that-nudge-nudge-wink-wink-stuff" Frisbee

Time for "Walter"s BELIEVE IT OR NOT" and to be candid, :sneaky:

The only "ulterior" motive that is going on here, is that Sweeper wants some companionship!

No, Not the one nighter stuff, :rolleyes: but some honest to goodness friendship. :P

She is young, she is hot, what else would be on a young man's thoughts?:cool:

Time for "Walter"s BELIEVE IT OR NOT" and to be candid, :sneaky:

The only "ulterior" motive that is going on here, is that Sweeper wants some companionship!

No, Not the one nighter stuff, :rolleyes: but some honest to goodness friendship. :P

She is young, she is hot, what else would be on a young man's thoughts?:cool:

I rest my case. :) Good luck, by the way. The pretty ladies are always high maintenence -- especially the ones who can pick the fleas off of the back of a blue tick hound at fifty paces...

Matt "Ending-this-fantasy-babe-drool-stuff-right-here-cause-BGC's-Nene-was-so-much-cuter-anyway" Frisbee

By honorable I mean that he isn't going to treat her wrong or take advantage. Sweeper's character background makes honor one of his primary traits. If role-played properly he isn't going to rush her or attempt to get her to do anything that she doesn't genuinely want to do.

BTW the results of the date are pretty much done. Nightstick and I handled it via email and telephone conversations. Even if our session for this Saturday gets canceled I'll still have something to post.

As I had feared we had two absent on September 2nd. Instead of playing the normal game the four of us played a game of Star Wars: Queens Gambit (the Empire won). Our next Weekend Warriors game is now scheduled for September 16th (the day after my birthday).

I will still be making a small campaign log update in the next couple of days that will cover the date between Giles (Sweeper) and Rally Vincent.

Interlude

Though our group had to skip our September 2nd session, the player of Sweeper and I were able to resolve the date between Rally and Giles, mostly.

INTERLUDE

Wednesday, March 22nd Evening

The following events take place late Wednesday evening beginning at 7:00PM.

Giles arrives at Rally’s house at 7 o’clock sharp, he’s had the limo driver circle a block or two away to ensure that his arrival would not be early. He adjusts his collar one more time, he’s never been used to wearing a tie and the tightness around his neck bothers him. The limo comes to a halt in front of the house and Giles quickly steps out into the snow that is gently falling from the sky. He straightens his overcoat as he tells the driver that he may be a few minutes. He walks gingerly to the front door careful to avoid the largest puddles with his dress shoes.

Minnie May answers the door and pauses for an instant taken aback by the change in Giles appearance. “Wow, you look pretty good when you put some effort into it.” She peers past him at the limo waiting out front, “too bad it’s so slushy your limo is getting all cruddy. Have a seat I’ll go get Rally.” With a whisper and a wink she adds, “I’ve never seen her dress like this either.” She turns and scoots off toward the hall, “Oh Raaaally, he’s heeeer.”

But Rally has already appeared at the door looking curiously at Giles. Until this time it had never occurred to Giles just how tom-boyish Rally normally dresses. Now he sees her dressed, for the first time in feminine attire and realizes just how beautiful she can be. She wears a silky light blue, full length evening gown. The skirt is split up past the knee; it has spaghetti straps on the shoulders and a modestly plunging neckline revealing a tasteful amount of cleavage. Her black hair is in its normal style but it seems to somehow shine more, the blue of her eyes sparkle as they are set off by the blue of her dress.

They are both jolted out of their brief stare by Minnie May, “Oh Gawd, it’s like a prom date or something,” she shakes her head.

They get out to the limo after the inevitable exchange between Rally and May. Rally is still a little miffed at her room mate and lets her small purse drop to the floor of the car just a little two casually the “klunk” it makes is noticed by Giles. “Do you have room for anything in there besides the gun?” he asks.

Rally grimaces slightly, “Oh I didn’t mean anything by it, its just that I have a lot of enemies and I just feel better if I am carrying something.”

“Oh no don’t worry about it. I’m carrying something too, it’s just the nature of the business,” says Giles.

His reply seems to quell Rally’s concern and brings back her smile. “You know, I never got to go to my prom. May is right I really don’t know much about all of this, I mean going on a date and all.”

“Then we’ll learn together, I didn’t have much of a childhood, I had to grow-up too fast. Too many bad things… too much grief…” he trails off. “But enough about that we have a whole evening ahead of us and I want it to be fun. We both ought to be able to relax for a change, we deserve it.”

The dinner is superb (it ought to be it cost enough). They dance and discover that they both have no talent for it (so it is mercifully brief). They talk and they laugh and they have a great time. Giles has arranged to have flowers delivered at the dinner and it goes over very well.

Due to the vague clue in the last session’s write-up Sweeper’s player knew that Rally liked blue flowers, from that the he was able to guess blue irises before I got around to telling him that was what I had in mind for the character. Perhaps that’s not a spectacular leap of logic but the player put enough effort into this that I can’t see letting the date be anything but a success. Now back to the story.

After dinner they head to a small place near Gunsmith Cats called Club S. Rally is on good terms with the proprietor and they are able to get a small secluded private table in which to have a few drinks and hold a private conversation. Once there they talk about all sorts of stuff and eventually share more and more with each other.

Giles Story:

“I lost my whole family when I was barely sixteen. We’d come to Hudson City with my dad on a business trip. We were staying at the Silver Key hotel near Chinatown. He was supposed to meet with Mr. Lai Yuwei who he thought was a legitimate businessman.”

Rally interrupted him, “the Lai Yuwei of the Golden Serpent Tong?”

“Yeah that’s him... But I don’t think dad knew that. My father worked with ADC for years, that’s the Audio Dynamics Corporation, and had developed a new audio processing chip. But the brass at ADC wouldn’t fund its development since their research budget was already tied up. Dad thought that he had found a new company in Taiwan that would produce the chip for a share of the profits. It sounded like a really good deal, a way for him to make a big score and retire young. But I guess it was some sort of scheme to steal technology that the Tong had cooked up. I am still unclear on the details. I was too young to be very interested in what dad was working on.

I know that dad had a meeting and that he’d brought all of his drawings and stuff. He came back a little discouraged but decided to take the family sight-seeing in Chinatown. I begged off of the outing... Being a sixteen year-old I wanted to do something besides being a tourist. Mom, dad and sis went off on their tour and I went to a local arcade... That was the last time I ever saw them.

A couple of hours later I came back to the hotel just in time to see some guys entering our room. I yelled at them from down the hall and when they looked at me I just felt something was wrong. I ran and they chased me, but I finally lost them. I got to a pay phone and tried to call dad’s cell phone then mom’s and finally our hotel room but I got no answer. Then some Asians wearing red scarves saw me and I was chased some more. It seemed to take forever but I finally lost them. I had no idea where I was and by the time I built up the nerve to go back out on the streets it was getting dark.

I saw a news report playing on TV in a storefront. They were talking about a disturbance at the Silver Key hotel. The police said that they had found blood in the room but the people staying there were gone. The people had a teen age son who was seen fleeing the area. I don’t know what it was all about but it scared me. The police were looking for me! I was scared and alone in a strange city.

I managed to get north of the river and for a few months I lived in LeMastre Park. Eventually I met James Johnston. He took me in, he gained my trust and I told him my story. James’ son had vanished several months earlier and so he helped me assume his identity. With his help I finished my martial arts training. I started investigating why my family had disappeared. Its taken years but I know the Asians who chased me that night were Red Thorns and I learned that Lai Yuwei was one of the movers in the Golden Serpents.

I know that the Tong was involved in some way, but the guys I saw entering our room weren’t Asians so something more was going on but I had no idea what. About a year ago I found one of the Red Thorns that chased me that night. He said that the guys who were at the hotel room worked for someone known as the Intoccabile.”

Rally’s Story:

“My daddy taught me how to shoot. I was a daddy’s girl and wanted to be just like him. I still have his Olympic medals at home; he got them all for shooting. Dad was mostly Cherokee… he learned to shoot when he was just a kid. Mom was mostly Italian I think… She didn’t approve of guns. She thought it was unladylike and dangerous, but dad was always careful and knew exactly what he was doing.

Mom wanted me to take violin lessons… she thought it would be better for me. Mom and dad used to have it out regularly over guns. Sometimes I’d skip my violin lessons and sneak out to where dad was plinking at cans… He’d let me shoot and then tell mom that it had been his idea in the first place. I am sure that mom loved me and was only doing what she thought was best. Things got worse and worse between them and I think it was because of me…

Dad started a gun store. Mom was dead-set against it but he insisted. There was a hold up… and mom was there trying to deliver divorce papers to my dad when it happened. Dad wasn’t there and the guy shot my mom. He killed all the staff, too, and cleaned the place out.

When dad got back it was too late. Mom probably died hating him and guns worse than the guy who shot her…

In the end they never did find the murder.

For several years dad and I lived on together and he reopened his shop and taught me all sorts of stuff about guns.

But then a couple of years ago things changed. One day my dad said he had a lead on the killer. He ran out the door and that was that.

After a while the calls and the money stopped coming… and now it’s been two years. I miss him terribly.

I started bounty hunting. I’ve learned all I can about skip tracing… But I still can’t find him.

I changed my name to Larry, the same as Daddy’s. I figure that if anybody comes looking for Larry Vincent they’ll find me and maybe they’ll know something. My real name is Irene but almost nobody knows that, just May and Becky… and now you.

You can’t tell anyone because I faked all of the papers with Becky’s help. I’ve been lying about my age since that time as well I’m not twenty-two… I’m nineteen… and if that ever get’s out I’ll lose my license for the shop and bounty hunting… everything.

At first my idea was that as a bounty hunter I could find my dad and the killer. But now I do if because I’ve grown to love the job… and it pays a lot better than the gun shop.

I guess I feel that I owe it to you to tell you all of this. Giles, you’ve put you life on the line for me and May... When you were on the run you ran to my door… I’ve never met anyone quite like you. We have a lot in common and if we... if... I just feel that I can trust you...”

And that is were we will leave it. The exact time and conclusion of the date is being left up in the air for now. The rest of the Weekend Warriors are on a mission and while they may not want to interrupt the social life of Giles and Rally I can’t really be sure what will happen beyond this point yet.

Yay for Giles and Rally! It's always great to see "the kids" doing it right and hitting if off right. :) Congrats to everyone involved for making it happen, too...

Okay, I'll quit gushing now. It's strange, though, I can't stand American soap operas but I can watch anime ones forever, it seems. Go figure.

Matt "Maison-Ikkoku-anyone?" Frisbee

Writing in the Soap Opera or Shōjo format is kind of new ground for me. I always feel that it comes across as corny when I write it. I agonize over it and revise it multiple times before I get something that I feel comfortable with. It hasn't generated any negative feed back from my players (in fact Sweeper's player is quite pleased) so I guess it is going over okay.

Now I have at least one other player that is interested in expanding his character's social life but that hasn't really gotten off the launch pad yet.

• 2 weeks later...