Weekend Warriors -- Campaign Log

Edsel

Re: Weekend Warriors -- Campaign Log

Man' date=' did I roll some sucky damage during those biker fights. :help:[/quote']

I think it must have been something that we ate that night!:confused:

I had some pretty lousy dice rolls also, during the rescue of the kids.

Imagine a kung-fu artist getting thrown out the window by a level 1 thug!

How embarrassing!:eek:

Thank the stars that things all worked out!:D

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I guess I am my own toughest critic. Every time I run a game I always seem to come away thinking that it could have gone better. Since the game was mostly just one big battle I am hoping that the campaign log entry will not be as much work.

Since we are skipping the November 25th game (Thanksgiving), hopefully I'll have plenty of time to hatch some interesting new plots.

I thought the set up was well done and forced some tricky approaches rather than allowing us to insert and decimate. It also provided a reasonable manner of putting several tough foes into the fray without overwhelming us. It also spurred another avenue of investigation along the whole Tennok vs El Azteka thread. Now we know that this wasn't simply an Aztec cult coming to Hudson City to raise a demon in secret. This was some kind of cult underground mojo war. Instead of solving the issue "forever," it simply opened a new and improved can of worms.

The only complaint would be that we didn't start til 10:30 and that is everyone's responsibility.

Yeah, the socializing can get out of hand. But of course that is part of what gaming is all about. I had hopes of getting started earlier since we got the campaign log review done before pizza arrived. I really am not quite sure how things kept bogging down until that late.

EDIT: I guess a big contributor to our slow start was that it was the first time in quite a while we had all 5 players together at one time. So some catching-up was inevitable.

I think it was mostly building the bomb and updating the characters both necessary but still time consuming.

I am gonna try to write up a "war journal" about Kieran's reaction to what he saw last night. Funny enough, I just realized that I was the only one besides Satella who actually witnessed the Brimstone. The others just heard my panicked gibberish and utter terror in my voice as I yelled for her to come round the building.

Wait til I try to explain what I saw in character!!! :drink:

Funny enough' date=' I just realized that I was the only one besides Satella who actually witnessed the Brimstone. The others just heard my panicked gibberish and utter terror in my voice as I yelled for her to come round the building.[/quote']

Yeah, Right, we're gonna believe you when you keep tripping over your own tongue every time that you are around her.:o

We know what is really going on there.......

You just want her attention!:eek:

But then again,:think:

I don't know of any one of us that wouldn't be doin the same!:eg:

I left my cookies on and my daughter must have found her way to this site. She can't type, but she loves to imitate me, and she can navigate http://www.pbskids.org like it is nobody's business.

When I was three there weren't even computers that would fit on a three year old's lap. Oh how times change :-)

Campaign Log -- Session 18

GAME SESSION EIGHTEEN

Actual Date: 11/11/2006

Wednesday, March 29th

For the first time in a couple of weeks the entire membership of the Weekend Warriors are able to gather today. Kierian feels that he can afford for his temporary alter ego of Luke O’Connell to be absent from the Highway Mobsters for a day. The only other big operation on the horizon is the heroin shipment that the Torccone’s are supposed to receive on Friday. There is always the looming threat posed by Penny Dreadful and her next caper but for now they have the whole team available and some free time.

At Kierian’s bidding they decide that now is the right time to raid Botanica La Esperanza, the suspected center of the El Azteca cult. The cult has been responsible for numerous murders in the city over the past couple of months and they have been in contention with the Weekend Warriors over the Nahuatl (ná-watl) Dagger.

From a conversation with Satella Harvenheit, they know that the cultists wanted the dagger for use in an attempt to summon a demon of some sort. Though Satella was able to neutralize the dagger’s power there still exists a danger that the cult can succeed. The dagger would have made the summoning of such a creature easier and less costly, but it is still possible without it. The longer the cultists are left to their own devises the greater the potential danger becomes. For good or for ill it is noted by someone that tonight is the night of the new moon.

Since the group, and Kierian specifically, fears the possibility of encountering something beyond their power it is decided that Satella will be taken into the group’s confidence. There are some initial objections but Kierian feels confident enough to vouch for Ms. Harvenheit. If Satella’s stories of her past are to be believed she has combated and vanquished demons in the past. Her ability to cleanse the Nahuatl Dagger speaks well for her mystical knowledge and prowess.

Kierian contacts Ms. Harvenheit and makes a lunch appointment with her. She is as happy and bubbling with enthusiasm as usual to see him. Fortunately Kierian is able to keep his mind on business long enough to fill her in on the Weekend Warriors and their plans against the El Azteca cultists. She becomes much more serious when the conversation goes on this course and readily agrees to take care of any demon extermination that is required. Kierian is still a little uncertain what to expect and is worried for her safety but if they do find a demonic presence at Botanica La Esperanza he realizes that she may be the only person with any idea how to handle such a situation. The raid is set for tonight and Satella will accompany the Weekend Warriors.

Several of the vigilantes wonder if silver or blessed bullets would come in handy. Satella suggests that having some blessed bullets couldn’t hurt since she knows that the Magdalene Order used to use them against devils. Choir Boy contacts his Catholic priest friend and has an amazing assortment of ammunition blessed.

Kierian and Satella take a drive to Latin City and pass by Botanica La Esperanza. As Kierian looks over the area Satella concentrates on one of her jewels. She informs Kierian that there are traces of a Demonic aura. She recommends raiding this place soon is a good idea. Kierian notes the locations of nearby manholes.

Next it is Sweeper and Choir Boy who do a drive by reconnaissance of the church. While Choir Boy drives Sweeper snaps pictures of the church and surrounding area. These photos will be used by the Weekend Warriors to help plan their avenues of attack and retreat.

While these scouting trips are going on John Black is busy putting together a small satchel charge with some of the group’s plastic explosives. He also rigs up an external antenna with a long wire so that group can establish a covert surveillance position.

The recon of the area has given the group the idea of setting up a stakeout of the location using the storm sewer system. It has been 48 hours since the rain stopped so the risk of high water should be gone. The group uses the long wired antenna that John has made to allow Sweeper to take up a position in a curb inlet across the street from the church. The antenna is trailed several blocks away and fed through a vent pipe out of sight. Sweeper is in position by mid-afternoon and he’ll remain there for hours since the group has decided to wait for nightfall before making their attack. After observing the area for a while Sweeper is able to determine that the houses located on either side of the church are being used by the gang as lookout posts.

Late in the afternoon news arrives that a gang-related shooting has taken place at the Aztec Club. This is believed to be a hangout for members of the Los Toros gang. Shortly thereafter Sweeper observes a couple of car loads of Los Toros gangsters arrive at the church and one of them is obviously injured.

The members of the Weekend Warriors start making contacts in an effort to find out all they can about the shoot out. Within a few hours they have determined that the fight seemed to have involved Los Toros gang members on both sides. One of the factions involved in the fight included a man wearing a leather jacket with a scorpion emblazoned on the back. Kierian realizes that this man’s distinctive jacket matches the known wardrobe of El Escorpión a known hit man and trouble shooter who works directly for El Azteca.

Before long the group is working on the theory that some sort of internal schism is taking place within the Los Toros. Certainly such internal strife must be due to the El Azteca cult. If El Escorpión is here then he is either gone rogue or he has been sent by El Azteca. Could it be that the cult of El Azteca is not something that El Azteca is supporting? Perhaps there is a power struggle between those loyal to their Durango overlord and those opposed to him. Could it be that Chuco and the enigmatic Tenoch are acting against El Azteca’s wishes?

The Weekend Warriors now believe that they may not be the only ones plotting to take down the cult. In fact they resolve to delay their raid on Botanica La Esperanza until 11:00PM unless someone else chooses to hit the church first. With this intent in mind Setella and the Weekend Warriors (with the exception of Sweeper who is staking out the church already) start making preparations. They stash several alternate get away vehicles within a few blocks of the church. The group then divides between two different vans and begin to drive around the area, keeping several blocks away, so that they can swoop in early if Sweeper sees a fight develop or if he gets in trouble.

The account of the great battle at the cult headquarters that follows is fairly brief and lacking in details. This is simply because the fight was large enough that it is pretty hard to keep straight who shot who. Most of the Weekend Warriors suffered some STUN in the battle and most suffered a few BODY as well. There were several very close calls but none of the player characters suffered truly serious injuries. Since I can’t remember the specifics the account is somewhat lacking in details.

At about 10:30 the predicted attack on the church unfolds. Sweeper gets on to his communications link and alerts the orbiting Weekend Warriors, giving them a blow by blow. A group led by El Escorpión takes out one of the two sentry houses by stealth. The group of attackers then approaches the church from this newly created blind spot. As the first group of attackers storms the church a full-sized car screeches to a halt in front of the second lookout house. The passengers in the car spray the house with several AK-47 assault rifles. Hundreds of rounds are fired indiscriminately into the house. The attackers in the car then bail out and rush inside. The sounds of sporadic gunfire are heard within the house as the attackers finish off any survivors. At the same time the sound of gunfire and explosions erupt from the church where the first group of attackers went.

At about this time the two vans carrying the Weekend Warriors arrive on the scene. Sweeper emerges from a nearby manhole and joins the fray as well. There is short but sharp firefight between the vigilantes and the attackers who are outside of the church. The fight taking place outside seems to draw no attention from those within the church where the sounds of gunfire, explosions and shouting now seem muffled.

As soon as the festivities outside are concluded the Weekend Warriors start entering the church. They find the interior very chewed up with bullet holes. Broken pews and several bodies fill the interior. The church consists of a single large room and a small corner room. The wall of the smaller room has been obliterated and it reveals a hole in the floor from which the top of a ladder protrudes. The sounds of battle are now coming from below the earth.

Crucible will be the last to enter the church with Satella trailing behind him. Up until now Satella, at the insistence of Crucible, has been hanging back to avoid becoming a target for gunfire.

There are rumblings from the ground and then an explosion breaks the surface of the parking lot. One of the two vans of the vigilantes is overturned by the blast. From the smoking pit emerges a huge creature. Red glowing eyes peer out from a coal black visage. Yellow horns several feet long sprout from its head. Crucible frantically fires at the creature, the blessed bullets that Satella recommended actually seem to have a minor effect on the creature. It is now pissed-off and turns its gaze upon the tiny vigilante.

Satella rounds the corner of the church and shouts to Crucible. “Join the others in the church, zis battle ist mine!” Satella raises her hand upon which a bracelet with a large diamond rests; the intensity in her gaze is fierce as she shouts. “Laden... Erscheinen ritter juwel!” In the twinkling of an eye a second huge figure appears. This one resembles a medieval knight composed entirely of crystal. The two titans close on one another as Crucible runs inside the church.

The German may not be entirely correct I pretty much took it verbatim from the manga. Of course the manga was a Japanese interpretation of German and then the whole thing was translated into English so you can see the pitfalls of that. Laden is intended to mean “to summon” and the follow-up phrase is supposed to mean “appear jewel knight.”

Below ground the Weekend Warriors engage in a confused battle against the survivors of the two gang factions. There are two levels below ground and bullets ricochet dangerously off of the stone walls. Chuco, the reputed leader of the Los Toros shoots Crucible with a huge gun (A Bushwhacker in caliber .50 Alaskan) which knocks the vigilantly briefly unconscious, fortunately Crucible falls behind a hard obstacle and is able to recover before the fight returns to his location.

At one point the vigilantes encounter a demonic being of a much smaller stature than the giant outside. This one proves much more susceptible to the blessed bullets and is dispatched, but not before chewing on Ken Sedai’s leg for a little while. Blind corners, booby traps and the unknown cause many a tense moment. In the end the Weekend Warriors prevail. They are able to take El Escorpión captive. A 10-gauge slug from D-Man’s shotgun grazed his skull and rendered El Escorpión unconscious, but alive.

As the last of the mopping up is completed the vigilantes wonder what they will find on the surface but their fears are quelled when they hear Satella’s cheerful voice calling down the passage. “Heellloooo... How are you boyz doing down zhere?”

D-Man quickly rigs a demolition charge to cave in the underground using the plastic explosives he has and several Mk3A2 grenades that were obtained from the gangsters. The team and Satella then flee the area in their remaining van as the rumble of the explosion and cave-in reverberates through the ground.

Chuco did much better than El Escorpión in combat despite the latter being a much more capable foe. D-Man got a lucky hit on El Escorpión after the thug has fired but a single ineffectual shot. Chuco faces Kierian alone as the vigilante looked down on him through a hole in the floor connecting the two levels. Chuco was faster and accurate. He dropped Crucible with a single shot but since Crucible was on the level above he fell beyond Chuco’s line of sight and was revived by his comrades before they moved to the lower level. Satella’s fight against the demon was not witnessed by any of the player characters but she assures them that the devil is no longer a concern. Only Crucible saw the Jewel Knight or the demon and he isn’t saying much because he is having a hard time believing it himself.

Session Wrap-up

Recovered Weapons & Equipment

The team didn’t really go out of their way to grab equipment however D-Man did retain one of the Mk3A2 concussion grenades he found. Kierian recovered the Bushwhacker 50 (Chuco’s gun). They also have all of El Escorpión’s pistols. The group used up 1.45 kg of the C4 explosives that they had.

Body Count & Damage

With the large three-way battle figuring out who shot who is not at easy proposition. In addition a lot of the underground was caved in while it contained numerous causalities so the number may never be exactly known. An estimate of 15 dead and 10 wounded sounds about right but many will simply be missing persons of the type that society will never miss.

Experience Awards

Each character received 3 EP, broken down as follows:

1 EP for participating in the session, 2 EP for a successful, long and hard fought successful mission.

To date the EP totals of the characters are: Choir Boy 33 EP, Crucible 54 EP, Demolition Man 44 EP, Ken Seidai 24 EP, and Sweeper 53 EP.

Closing Comments

Not a lot here but a huge battle. My busy week and laziness kept me from doing all of the pre-game prep I would have liked to. I seemed to be able to wing it good enough that nobody but me noticed. El Escorpión’s loss was kind of anti-climatic due to a really lucky shot by D-Man and Chuco, though a weaker NPC, actually fared better.

The game got off to a slow start due to people needing to update their characters, spend EP, etc. There was also a fair amount of socializing but since it was the first time in a long time that we’d had a full house it is not surprising.

On the bright side since my partial preparations allowed for either this fight or several other eventualities I will hopefully be better prepared next time. Our next game would have fallen on November 25th but with Thanksgiving being so near that game is canceled so I should have a lot of prep time.

I need to do a write-up of the Catholic priest that Choir Boy keeps having dealings with. The fellow seems to be pretty open-minded for clergy (blessing bullets, knowing of Choir Boy’s secret ID, etc.). This session marks a milestone since the campaign log now is 100 pages long.

I guess this has ramped up the supernatural possibilities of the campaign somewhat. A huge demon and a friendly, powerful, witch tend to do that.

Well' date=' I'm sure it was a harrying blast for the players![/quote']

The "out-of-game" discussions were not too bad, they kind of centered on who was gonna try what with their "blessed" whatever.

What actually happenned was kind of anti-climactic. In game, all that we know is that Kierian was blathering about some large mythic creature going head to head with another large "medieval knight composed entirely of crystal." And this was pulled out of thin air by Satella. Yeah right. I thought that Kierian knew better than to show up for a fight sauced!:D

:hush:

The "out-of-game" discussions were not too bad, they kind of centered on who was gonna try what with their "blessed" whatever.

What actually happenned was kind of anti-climactic. In game, all that we know is that Kierian was blathering about some large mythic creature going head to head with another large "medieval knight composed entirely of crystal." And this was pulled out of thin air by Satella. Yeah right. I thought that Kierian knew better than to show up for a fight sauced!:D

:hush:

Actually, I don't think I mentioned the crystal knight. I didn't get much of an opprotunity to talk after big, fiery, and ugly came out of the street beneath my feet. What talk I did have was centered on "crap, I'm a dead man." But not nearly so calm :eek: Satella might have mentioned the knight but I don't think I did... I don't think I mentioned the demon other than the initial salvo where it looked like I would be belching sulphur for eons.

I am gonna try to write another of Kierian's situation reports to glimpse at what he is thinking.

PS - I had a hootin riot. That dang Chuko beat me on the initiave roll and plugged me like some school girl but it was still fun. This was one of those adventures where you could smell PC death in the air but thanks to D-Mans head shot we were able to turn it around. There were plenty of Dive-for-Covers, grenades, and other epic badness that only avoided waxing us because of some lucky rolls. IMO this battle was the most dangerous and closely won battle that we have ever fought barring the Demoness and the PACK in the Omega Team campaign. That we came out hale and intact is more a tribute to luck, skill, and some good breaks falling our way than to out gunning and out fighting the bad guys.

Situation Report

Analysis by Crucible

The Weekend Warriors have made some astounding progress against various criminal organizations in the last few months.

• We put a stop to Card Shark’s kidnapping spree freeing a dozen high-profile hostages.
  • Los Toros and El Azteca have been dealt with in a permanent fashion that will leave their efforts in Hudson City crippled for a year or more.
  • Buckshot is dead and his organization is in disarray. Similarly, Shango’s gang is crippled although the big man himself escaped.
  • Nottingham Bed & Breakfast is officially open for business. We still have some security concerns that are being addressed but much of the contract work has been completed.

PRIVATE DIARY- This is the best place for it, even if it interrupts the Situation Report...

Were it not for this week’s activity, I would be pleased with our efforts. As it is, I find my conceptualization of the world we live in has been shaken to its core. Newspaper polls say that 75% of Americans believe in the paranormal and I have had some first hand experience with what can only be called the supernatural in my life but never did I expect to be faced with such naked evidence of otherworldly malevolence. Four years ago, I was shot and killed by the lover of my wife. It was this near death experience that fueled my desire to step outside the red tape and strive to make a real difference in the world. My life was redeemed for a purpose. I now understand that purpose.

The Weekend Warriors formed to deal with villainy on an equal footing. Blood for blood. So I thought. Standing in the darkened streets of Latin City without power or even the light of the moon, I found myself alone save for a creature of ash, fire, and brimstone. My bullets had little effect save to enrage it and earn its hoary attention. The hellspawn walked, wreathed in unholy flames, among the unsuspecting citizens of this world. Satella has told me of other creatures who also escaped the chains of the abyss to wreck havoc among mankind. Cults, evil and twisted, seek to bring such creatures into the world to serve their own dark efforts. It is going to take much more than bullets and broken bones to oppose those who would command powers cast out by God almighty. I am hesitant to discuss what I witnessed with the other members of the crew for fear that they will believe me unhinged. You can bet that I would probe deeply into the psyche of the others if they came to me with a similar tale. Yet I have Satella to confirm what I saw, if they will believe her?

I believe that it is imperative that we continue to confront the petty evil infesting the streets of Hudson City but, in truth, I have come to feel that this is but a training ground on which we prepare for the real battles. I plan on speaking with Satella and, if they can be found, the Order of Magdalene as well as any others who wage this shadowy war against those unhallowed summoners who would risk the soul of mankind in exchange for power. This is my true war. I have seen the face of the real enemy and will no longer be fooled by his proxies.

TL 4: Velloric Crimes

Penny Dreadful has but a single novel left to re-enact. The last novel of Shane Valoric is a twisted tale and despite analysis I have come to no concrete conclusions on how she might choose to set the stage. I fear if we fail in anticipating her next move Shane Valoric will pay the ultimate price.

TL 7: Kerosene

The Highway Mobsters and the Satanic Skulls are both involved in the spread of a new designer drug called Kerosene. It is highly addictive and seems similar to crystal, ice, or meth. I suspect that there is but a single supplier who may be using the biker gangs to stir discontent. It is possible that the objective has nothing to do with the new drug but is instead a tool to incite a war. Only the discovery of the identity of the supplier is going to illuminate the agenda behind Kerosene. I have infiltrated the Highway Mobsters and worked on gaining the confidence of Brian Kelly, the leader. It’ll take some time before I am able to move freely enough to gain enough trust that I could pilfer this information. Instead, the plan is to gain enough information that we can launch a strategic strike and capture several of the leaders who can fill in some of the missing pieces. This won’t be easy, Brain has a reputation for ultra—violence as do the men who constantly surround him.

TL 6: Torrecones & Strad

This week the Torrecone family are expecting a large shipment of heroin from overseas. The H will arrive at the docks around 23:30 Friday night and eventually turned over to Strad. Our goal here is to capture the H and the money used to purchase it. Taking dope and money from gangs is much more crippling than taking the dope alone. It also leads to distrust or outright violence between the two organizations regarding who owes who for the botched job. Overall, a win—win situation for Hudson City.

TL 4: The Candy Killer

Street walkers are disappearing from the Strip, presumably to meet some horrible fate at the hands of a twisted killer. Little is known about this case other than the trend appears to span several months and involves younger prostitutes. Current high visibility suspects include Caligula and Siddhartha.

Personal Objectives:

• Continue to integrate with the VOLT foundation. The organization has a huge asset pool and provides carte blanch excuse for investigative efforts.
  • Establish Contact with Adolph Gottlieb. The Professor is one of the most respected authorities on the supernatural in Hudson City. He may offer additional insights on others who are offended by the stench of Brimstone.
  • Gain a working knowledge of the occult activities within Hudson City. The occult subculture is small and consanguineous. Gaining inroads now, along with identifying the major players, can forestall a huge amount of make up work down the road.
  • Finish securing the Compound with the most sophisticated survellience gear available.

Excellent as always, Edsel! :) And don't sweat the lack of details -- I frequently wing it with big fights, too, simply because that's the only way to resolve the outcomes in a timely fashion. Have a happy Thanksgiving weekend!

Matt "Thinking-I-should-drop-by-Oklahoma-City-some-day-soon" Frisbee

• 3 weeks later...

We are highly suspicious as well. The current theory is that another agency has moved in to cover things up. Who is this group? That is the question. Possible canidates bandied about include... The Magadalane Order, Hellsing, DEMON, a Delta Green-like goverment agency?? We just don't have enough to even form a good coherent idea yet.