A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

On 11/5/2017 at 11:25 PM, tkdguy said:

Remember this game?

Acting isn't great, but nice try.

I remember seeing this at GEN CON 1991.  For something that likely would have gone direct to VHS back then, it wasn't too bad.  It was on a continuous loop, so there were plenty of opportunities to see it.  At one showing a guy standing next to me said, "Now why didn't the guard shoot them on sight?  They were inside the perimeter--well, those may not have been his orders--"

I countered with, "Well, why even have a human guard?  Why not something like a cyborg attack animal, or a floating metal sphere that shoots laser beams?"

He responded with, "Naah, human guards are fine."

I don't remember the rest of the conversation.  I figure he meant human guards are cheaper and easier to replace than a cyborg attack animal.  Then again, you can't drop a cyborg attack animal with a sleep spell.

I have to admit, I was pretty astounded at FASA.  Back then, the last time I went to GEN CON was in the early Eighties, and all FASA had was a double booth where the sold their licensed products for the original Traveller game.  In 1991 they were so big they took up one corner of the exhibition hall, with huge displays for Battletech, Renegade Legion--and Shadowrun. 

I think there's a story that can be told there, Usually when the subject of the history of RPGs and "hobby gaming" in general comes up, it focuses on the rise and fall of TSR.  While TSR certainly deserves--and has received--a generous share of attention, there are other game companies and designers that have left an impact on the hobby as well, and I would hope they also would receive a measure of attention--companies such as Game Designers Workshop, Fantasy Games Unlimited, FASA--and of course, HERO Games.

On 12/11/2017 at 8:50 AM, wcw43921 said:

I remember seeing this at GEN CON 1991.  For something that likely would have gone direct to VHS back then, it wasn't too bad.  It was on a continuous loop, so there were plenty of opportunities to see it. 

I have to admit, I was pretty astounded at FASA.  Back then, the last time I went to GEN CON was in the early Eighties, and all FASA had was a double booth where the sold their licensed products for the original Traveller game.  In 1991 they were so big they took up one corner of the exhibition hall, with huge displays for Battletech, Renegade Legion--and Shadowrun. 

I think there's a story that can be told there, Usually when the subject of the history of RPGs and "hobby gaming" in general comes up, it focuses on the rise and fall of TSR.  While TSR certainly deserves--and has received--a generous share of attention, there are other game companies and designers that have left an impact on the hobby as well, and I would hope they also would receive a measure of attention--companies such as Game Designers Workshop, Fantasy Games Unlimited, FASA--and of course, HERO Games.

I also saw that clip at GenCon in 1991. So as a visitor to America and GenCon that year, why didn't you stop and say hello to me ?

Granted it was 26 years ago and a few years before you and created our screen names for the website but still.