A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

Re: A Thread for Random Videos

I was at this match. SIlly play by the Portland keeper, bad call by the referee, and a record tied for Chris Wondolowski of the San Jose Earthquakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nQjpSXwGnk

(If the video gets taken down, here's what happened: Portland keeper Donavan Ricketts made an ill-advised challenge on a San Jose attacked and drew a penalty call. Wondolowski, who had scored 26 goals in the season to that point, took the kick and made Ricketts look silly. That was his 27th goal, which ties him for the Major League Soccer single-season record. The Timbers would score in the second half and hold on for a 1-1 draw.)

Re: A Thread for Random Videos

I'm sharing a special video today. This is more Veteran's Day than Halloween, but today I got the link.

In 1989 Nancy and I were visiting Waukegan, Illinois. We stopped by the house I grew up in. The woman who lived there was curious what we gawking at. When I told her I had lived there, she asked if my name was McPeek. When I said yes, she went inside to fetch a hand bound book. On the cover and inside, on yellowing Red Cross stationery, was my father’s handwriting (he had been dead for nine years). The book was full of poems he wrote while fighting Rommel in North Africa, then the Nazis in Sicily and Italy until he got malaria. I had no idea such a book existed. The woman found it hidden in the rafters when she added a second story to the house. She said something like “I knew this would be important to someone” as she gave it to me.

For years I wanted to write a song based on a poem or two. Finally, after visiting Italy in 2010, I undertook the task. Parts of the song came to me in a dream. As you know, I fancy myself an empiricist, but there are some things that cannot be explained.

What emerged with all this unknowable assistance was perhaps my best song—if not, it is certainly the one most meaningful to me. Others who have heard it have been touched by it, sometimes because it resonates with their own experience of war, or their father’s in war. My friend David Beede was moved enough to help make a video of the song, which is now officially posted on YouTube.

It would mean a lot to me if you took the time to watch it and maybe share it or comment.

Bob, who wrote this, and the song, is a co-worker. I'm happy to share it.