A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

Walter Peck's move was the wrong one, but his assessment - that the Ghostbusters shouldn't be operating equipment that could destroy the city (without any oversight) - was absolutely correct. The Ghostbusters could have handled the situation more diplomatically; provoking an authority figure is not the wisest of moves. The older I get, the more I side with Peck and the more I see the pro-Reagan attitude this film exudes.

17 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Walter Peck's move was the wrong one, but his assessment - that the Ghostbusters shouldn't be operating equipment that could destroy the city (without any oversight) - was absolutely correct. The Ghostbusters could have handled the situation more diplomatically; provoking an authority figure is not the wisest of moves. The older I get, the more I side with Peck and the more I see the pro-Reagan attitude this film exudes.

There is a whole boatload of film "villains" who are actually completely in the right. The one that comes to mind is Cardinal Richelieu in the Richard Lester Three Musketeers films -- it was bad enough that the Queen was breaking her marital vows, but she was doing it with the avowed enemy of the French state who was planning to invade the country. He knew what needed to be done, and for the most part he did it. The Musketeers had chosen the wrong side.

4 hours ago, tkdguy said:

THAC0 isn't nearly as complicated as I had once imagined; most factors that influence it (Strength/Dexterity, Weapon Specialization, the enchantment bonus of any given weapon, et cetera) are calculated and recorded in advance. One point in its favor: it keeps the player guessing more than D&D 3.0+'s BAB versus AC.

--- --- ---

30 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

THAC0 isn't nearly as complicated as I had once imagined; most factors that influence it (Strength/Dexterity, Weapon Specialization, the enchantment bonus of any given weapon, et cetera) are calculated and recorded in advance. One point in its favor: it keeps the player guessing more than D&D 3.0+'s BAB versus AC.

I still prefer THAC0 over BAB, although I'm not averse to the latter. Considering I prefer B/X and 2E over the other editions, it shouldn't be surprising.

20 hours ago, death tribble said:

But you have to remember that the Cardinal was trying to manipulate the King so that does stand against him.

If the King (Louis XIII, if you're counting) had tried to govern "on his own", he would have run France into the ground fairly quickly. None of the Bourbon kings, even the "illustrious" Louis XIV, were near the front of the line when they handed out brains.

4 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

If the King (Louis XIII, if you're counting) had tried to govern "on his own", he would have run France into the ground fairly quickly. None of the Bourbon kings, even the "illustrious" Louis XIV, were near the front of the line when they handed out brains.

... But man, were they snappy dressers!