A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Is anyone else kinda creeped out by that? :wacko:

I go for Sunday picnics and strolls in the Uncanny Valley. The things that make other people feel revulsion or even fear - dolls and robots, mostly - don't bother me in the slightest. That isn't meant to be bragging, mind you: that's just how I'm wired.

Perhaps "wired" was a poor choice of words?

--- --- ---

6 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

I go for Sunday picnics and strolls in the Uncanny Valley. The things that make other people feel revulsion or even fear - dolls and robots, mostly - don't bother me in the slightest. That isn't meant to be bragging, mind you: that's just how I'm wired.

Perhaps "wired" was a poor choice of words?

I don't think it's the "uncanny valley" effect that disturbs me. It's that we've built machines with such extraordinary capacities, and we spend our time making them simulate a dance party. It reinforces my impression that our technological advances are now being driven by an obsessive desire for cooler toys.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I don't think it's the "uncanny valley" effect that disturbs me. It's that we've built machines with such extraordinary capacities, and we spend our time making them simulate a dance party. It reinforces my impression that our technological advances are now being driven by an obsessive desire for cooler toys.

A dance routine is simply a way for the developers to show off their creation's agility and coordination. I'm more concerned with how robotics can be abused by a military.

Anyhow, speaking of "cooler toys"...I imagine sex bots aren't too far off.

Funny story about that meme: There's a widespread belief Kevin Sorbo mistakenly read a direction in the script for the emotion that the line was intended to be said with, "disappointed," as though it was supposed to be said out loud as part of the line. It was so funny that they kept it in the episode.

According to Sorbo, he just ad-libbed the word, inspired by Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda.

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Funny story about that meme: There's a widespread belief Kevin Sorbo mistakenly read a direction in the script for the emotion that the line was intended to be said with, "disappointed," as though it was supposed to be said out loud as part of the line. It was so funny that they kept it in the episode.

According to Sorbo, he just ad-libbed the word, inspired by Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda.

I'll give it this: it fits with the rest of the show's zany 90s attitude.

--- --- ---