[Interest in an online game?] Avengers: Generation 3

Snake Gandhi

I've been toying with an idea for a game, and though I'd see if anyone would be interested in playing. If so I'd probably run it on HeroCentral.

My plan was to set the game in the Marvel universe, circa 2 generations in the future (45-65 years roughly). The game would be based on the idea that the Avengers are reforming after years of absence. Players would play characters who have ties to the original Avengers in some way or another. You could play children, grandchildren, distant relations, or folks who where just inspired by one of the original Avengers. If you want to use one of the current names (Captain America, etc) thats cool, or you could go with an a name that ties into it somewhat (Patriot for Captain America for example)

As for the history of the 'future' Marvel U, that will partly depend on the players. I plan on letting the players come up with whatever they like for their background, then using that to shape the world. for instance, if you wanted to play Tony Stark's godson and heir to Stark Enterprises and the Iron Man name, you'ed decide what happened to Tony, and then I'd create the campaign world around your ideas. Or say you wanted to play Captain America's granddaughter, you'ed tell me what Steve did for the next 40-60 years, and what he's doing now. I'll work with the players on the background stuff, and players can always chat with each other to interweave things, but in my experience it makes things start smoother, as this way the players actually have a hand in deciding how the world they play in is made.

I think the timeframe allows for some freedom in making what you want to make, but also gives us some history to draw from when we want to. I'll say right now I'm not a huge Avengers expert, I plan on using some of the cool stuff from their history, but I'm not gonna worry about the tiny details, as I'm more worried about fun:).

For the characters, pretty much anything goes as long as they are tied to an Avenger in some way. Personally I think we should have ties to the big Avengers, but if people prefer to play with more obscure ideas thats cool. Also, I'm not concerned with you matching up to the character powerset wise, either way. If you want to play a Cap who's got similiar powers to the current one, thats fine. Or if your Cap is a flying energy blaster, thats groozy too, just so long as they have some kind of relationship with the name. Not set points yet, but I figure around 500. This lets you make a character how you want them to be, and allows them to legitimately call themselves the Avengers, but still leaves room to grow.

So, anyone interested? I'm looking for somewhere between 4-6 players, might go 7 if a lot of people want to play.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: [interest in an online game?] Avengers: Generation 3

How often would you need the players to post and so forth? *nosey*
Enough to keep things going. I'm not one for hard and fast rules, but at least 5 times a week, preferably once a day (which I don't think is all that much myself).

Of course, that can vary. During a combat, of course the faster the better. If we're out of combat and just rp'ing, then things can be more casual.

Tentatively interested. Future's OK' date=' but as an idea, could also say that all the original Avengers stuff took place in the 1960's-1970's, and set things 30yrs later, ie modern day.[/quote']Worth considering.

Heck, If people would prefer that setting, I could handle it.

I think he said about 500. Which makes sense for the premiere team of their time.m Global Guardians uses 350 + 150 for their top teams.

Whoops, so he did. Silly me. :)

In that case, I am doubly interested. Don't often get to play in that range. :)

I like Supreme Serpent's idea! And I'd love to play, providing I come up with something playable.

I suppose Thor would be an NPC huh? (I imagine he's still alive, being immortal and all.)

Or you could have had Ragnarok happen, killing off the old guard but without problems on Midgard, and play a character that's part of the new, young generation of Asgardian gods.

I wouldn't mind joining if there's yet room, though having looked over Champs Worldwide, I'd actually recommend 575 points or so, since it took about 568 to make the superskilled, connected, wealthy and tricked out with gadgets and knowhow El Dorado. Which is a good benchmark for anyone creating a Black Panther type.

And similarly, a whole bunch of Avengers were multitalented and connected and so forth, even the bricks.

I mean, Dane Whitman was a master swordsman that could take on seriously enhanced cyborgs and win, a genetic engineering capable scientist what also built lightsabers and skycycles, beloved in Otherworld, and wielded a magical longsword that could parry Wolverine's claws and otherwise cut through anything. And currently ontop of that has magic, energy absorbing and blasting armour that he can summon to him with a command word. And a superhuman flying horse. As an example of the Black Knight.

The JLA tended to be noteworthy for being ridonkulous powerhouses (well, outside of Batman), a lot of Avengers by comparison have been diversely talented or powered.

Quasar has shield agent hand to hand training that comes up every time he makes a pair of energy nunchuks and uses them with amusing accuracy.

The concept that is coming to my mind is a hero named Banner. No relation to the Hulk(though I'm sure he gets harrassed), but rather banner as in "The Banner yet waves"; a descendent of Captain America who has also embraced the flagsuit motiff, but did not inheirit the shield for whatever reason (Maybe it went to another young hero, maybe it is lost, and maybe Cap is still around and doesn't plan on parting with it ;)) but instead uses a collapsable staff akin to the one Mockingbird used to have. Somehow he has the effects of the Super Soldier serum in his veins (Either it became part of Cap's genetic code and lay dormant in his descendents, or Banner got reinjected with it plus a vitamin bath).

It's a work in progess though.

"Flagpole" just didn't sound good, eh Hermit? ;)

Actually, I figured between the staff and the name he'd HAVE to have a good sense of humor, so I thought demeanor wise he might lean more towards the 'happy go lucky Beast' (Though not as scientifically inclined) rather than Steve's more serious mode. Though, of course, Banner would also love his country.

"Banner" 's good, what with Star-Spangled and all. Another possibility might be "Ensign" since it's got double meaning as a flag and a rank.

I watched too much Star Trek to care for Ensign. ;) but thanks.