[Interest in an online game?] Avengers: Generation 3

Snake Gandhi

Re: [interest in an online game?] Avengers: Generation 3

My half-formed idea (jumping in before someone else claims it) is one of the Asgardians. Someone we haven't seen much of before outside of the Thor continuity, like Tyr or Heimdall or Magni... Thor's always been one of my personal faves (as Hermit can attest). :thumbup:

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I got something-

The Inhuman Royal Family, since departed for Parts Unknown, womewhere in space, send back an emissary to Earth, to remind Earth's heroes of the Inuhmans, and in general, check up on their planet- make sure the Kree aren't doing more genetic experimentation, Maximus hasn't released a plague, whatever. Furthermore, if this emissary determines that Earth is safe to return to, the Inhumans may send a colony back to Attillan (wherever the writers decided it should be this time).

Since this mission is not that high a priority though, they send a young and relatively inexperienced member of the family, or one who has fallen out of favor with the Council (who would not therefore be able to summon the entire race at a moment's notice, call on them to give him technology or support- basically, make this emissary effectively stranded and cut off for some years). My character would be this emissary.

Not something I'm intersted in doing myself, but don't forget about the Eternals, either currently known or a brand-new one; the Deviants; Any of the many space-faring characters from the Kree-Skrull wars; alternate-dimension Avengers like the Squadron Supreme or more traditional near-clones of current or past Avengers; or even the descendents of their enemies- think of people like Ultron, the Grim Reaper, Morgan le Fay, Loki, Dr. Doom, Dr. Demonicus... lots of good backstory there

I'm thinking about playing a child of Vision and the Scarlet Witch...and doing it for real' date=' this time, regardless of what the comicbook writers, in their infinite wisdom, decided.[/quote']

I'm perfectly willing to retcon out anything John Byrne screwed up. Go for it AFAIC.

Here's some more interesting races you could try:

Atlanteans, Lemurians (both amphibious or water-breathing-only options are interesting)

Denizens of the Dark Dimension- a series of pocket dimensions expanded, connected, and ruled by the Dread Dormammu. These beings are all capable of learning and using magic.

New Men- the High Evolutionary's animal-people

Olympians (and presumably, gods of other pantheons, such as the Egyptian)

Shi'ar- bird people known best through the X-Men books

My half-formed idea (jumping in before someone else claims it) is one of the Asgardians. Someone we haven't seen much of before outside of the Thor continuity' date=' like Tyr or Heimdall or Magni... Thor's always been one of my personal faves (as Hermit can attest). :thumbup:[/quote']

:thumbup:

I always thought Magni never got enough props. After all, by myth, he's one of the few who can handle his dady's hammer, AND... IIRC, unlike his dad, he survives Ragnorok.

Afraid I don't know much about the Marvel version of Magni if there is one

I've sent Snake Gandhi a bunch of ideas.

The two general ones I'm leaning most towards at the moment are either

a) the heir to the Pym/van Dyne legacy in some form, but almost certainly some version of scientific bug-powers guy. :D

or

B) the latest Zemo, trying to atone for his family's misdeeds. Taken in as a boy after his father's death (likely no one else would take him) by the Avengers, esp. Captain A and Jarvis, raised among them. Eventually the compassion and nobility shown to him by those whom his family had wronged so greviously won him over. Now he tries to restore the honor of his Zemo family name and live up to the honor of his adopted Avengers family.

B) the latest Zemo, trying to atone for his family's misdeeds. Taken in as a boy after his father's death (likely no one else would take him) by the Avengers, esp. Captain A and Jarvis, raised among them. Eventually the compassion and nobility shown to him by those whom his family had wronged so greviously won him over. Now he tries to restore the honor of his Zemo family name and live up to the honor of his adopted Avengers family.

Does he still wear a pink birdcage in his head?

Cool, interest.

Okay, to get the ball rolling if you would, folks who expressed interest, if you could provide me with a few things.

-Which setting would you prefer, current Marvel U + 40-60 years or a current day setting with the Avengers adventures primarily happening in the 70-80's?

-prefered starting level? I think somewhere between 500-600 is a good spot, what are you're feelings.

So far, all the ideas sound doable. Atlantean, InHuman, its all good as long as you can tie yourself to an Avenger in some way. Wanna be Magni, I can go with that.

I'll leave it open all weekend so people can think on what character they'ed like to play, then come Monday I'll start going through all the specific ideas.

I'd prefer 'a current day setting with the Avengers adventures primarily happening in the 70-80's'. This is because trying to extrapolate the current Marvel mess 60 years into the future beggars my imagination!

And the 500 to 600 point character cost sounds good to me.

As part of these new characters' backgrounds, is it permissible to say that one of the "big name" Avengers was killed?

Cool, interest.

Okay, to get the ball rolling if you would, folks who expressed interest, if you could provide me with a few things.

-Which setting would you prefer, current Marvel U + 40-60 years or a current day setting with the Avengers adventures primarily happening in the 70-80's?

I lean towards the latter but could play either, that way I could rationalize Banner as the son of Cap and Diamondback ;)

-prefered starting level? I think somewhere between 500-600 is a good spot, what are you're feelings.

That sounds great to me. Power, mwhahaha!

I do have to wonder if we should get some things in common for the group like The Reputation Perk: Member of "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" but that can be sussed out later I suppose.

I do have to wonder if we should get some things in common for the group like The Reputation Perk: Member of "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" but that can be sussed out later I suppose.

That's an idea. Once people get ideas approved and move on to construction, saving 20-30pts for related perks and contributions to things like bases and vehicles would be a good idea. (Assuming of course the GM doesn't just give them to the PCs for free ;) )

I too would prefer the more modern-day approach. Easier for everyone to wrap their heads around it, IMO. Times I've seen future-hero games in the past, it seems like more time's spent sussing out if such and such exists, what the state of Y is etc. than getting on with the story itself. Plus, easier for more direct connections to the various heroes.

I imagine once the team is selected, there would need to be a "story conference" to work out details/coordinate origins. "You can't kill Quicksilver in 1983! He raised me and still lives in semi-retirement in Burbank!"

edit: point levels sound fine to me.

:thumbup:

I always thought Magni never got enough props. After all, by myth, he's one of the few who can handle his dady's hammer, AND... IIRC, unlike his dad, he survives Ragnorok.

Afraid I don't know much about the Marvel version of Magni if there is one

I completely agree. Which is why he's one of my favorite brick inspirations. In fact I just posted a history I wrote up for him as a character in the Thor Tributes thread :)

Color me interested! Right now I'm thinking of a Goliath Tribute... :think:

Do you already have an Iron Girl? Antionette Stark, ruthless inventor and business mogul who happens to be heroic rather than villainous, was my favorite character from Ben Dunn's ill-fated Marvel Mangaverse. She also had a great plot hook in a denied attraction to thatr "Dweeb" Dr. Bruce Banner.

Refining my idea: Tony Stark, recently deceased, had three children by three different women. This led to massive confusion when he died and it became time to divvy up the estate. The shares of Stark International were equally divided between the three children; sons Mark and Andrew and daughter Antoinette. Although all three had powerful intellects, they all loved the fine life. Mark and Andrew quickly sold their interests in the company in favor of other, more glamorous business pursuits; Mark Stark is a major shareholder in a Hollywood film studio, and Andrew Stark is an Internet tycoon. Antoinette is the largest single shareholder remaining in Stark Industries, and has been consolidating her power within the company in the hopes of showing up her brothers. Her greatest obstacle is Dominic Lord, who bought a large amount of her bothers' shares and is determined to take full control of the company -- and to woo Antoinette as well.

A year after Tony Stark's death, Antoinette recieved a strange package containing a year-old extrernal hard drive. On it was a set of schematics that only an engineering genius of the first order could comprehend. Antoinette Stark constructed the device (pre-paid invoices for the needed materials were also in the package), following the instructions that no outside help be used. When she was finished, she was astounded -- there before here was a suit of armor: the Iron Man Mark XIV.

Mark and Andrew had ignored the packages they had recieved. Suddenly the truth about her father was clear -- Antoinette has always thought iron Man was Tony Stark's bodyguard and would protect her as well, and at that moment she realized that Iron Man had been Tony Stark himself.

Which meant that Iron Man was dead and she could not rely on his protection.

Now that she knew what it was for, Antoinette decided the best course of action was to modify the armor so that she could use it herself. When she was done, Iron Man was no more and a new Avenger was born -- The Invincible IRON GIRL!