[Interest in an online game?] Avengers: Generation 3

Snake Gandhi

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: [interest in an online game?] Avengers: Generation 3

I've done a first pass on Raptor, too (sans disads). Perhaps too light on offense, but has pretty noteworthy defense some of the time. I can do txt or hdc (not a big fan of hdc output options).

I lean towards the latter but could play either' date=' that way I could rationalize Banner as the son of Cap and Diamondback ;).[/quote']

Cap and someone else, maybe Peggy, coulda had a kid in the 70's. I like pushing back continuity and playing in 2006.

That sounds great to me. Power, mwhahaha!

Again, let me suggest we don'thave to build on a particular number, but rather a range. Say, 350-700? A really tight concept on a few points is just as much fun to play as a big gun type, and the Avengers don't seem to descriminate the way the JLA do.

I do have to wonder if we should get some things in common for the group like The Reputation Perk: Member of "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" but that can be sussed out later I suppose.

Good call, the membership ought to be known to the populace, at least a little bit, and have broad police powers and so forth. According to Mavel Spotlight #39 (December 1990), for instance, an Avenger cannot legally be forced to unmask without first being convited of a felony. While this particular provision may not be used, we might want to think of stuff along these lines for our team.

ZEMO

(working on other concepts too, but this one got down "on paper" first. Would likely have to change a good bit if we go with the further-future game idea)...snip

I hate fanfic. I can never get through a few paragraphs of some amateur's writing.

THIS held my attention and I love it. I'd rep you if I could.

Emissary

Is what I'll call him, when I write him. Give us a couple days. I'll be using the Inhuman representative idea.

Because I want the GM to reveal who and what he or she is at the dramatically appropriate times, I'm not going to post the concrete, specific idea here but rather mail it to Snake.

I was doing some research' date=' and I just found my new favorite comic book cover of all time :thumbup:

I have that issue, if you want it LOL! There was about a six-month period where I was trying to put together a whole collection of all Stilt-Man's appearances. It ended in abject apathy.

On an unrelated note, have you ever noticed how all African-American superheroes and villains had the sobriquet prefix "Black" during the Silver Age? Power Man was the first to buck the trend, but he was still pure blaxploitation. It makes sense, though, when you consider all white superhumans have "White" on their names. Like, um... WhiteSuperMan and WhiteBatman and the White Queen.

Yep. I think the Falcon was the first not to have "Black" as a prefix which is why I chose not to name my above idea "Black Raptor" or "Black Falcon" even though it might fit as a scion of Black Panther. I just didn't want that feel to it.

Edit: Falcon in 1969, Power Man debuted in June of 72

I have that issue' date=' if you want it LOL! There was about a six-month period where I was trying to put together a whole collection of all Stilt-Man's appearances...[/quote']

:nonp:Are you sure you're not me? I thought I was the only one capable of appreciating the awesomeness that is the Stilt-Man :D

This wasn't what I'd intended to write, but I thought it was interesting, nonetheless; a sort of pre-natal character sketch. One of these children will be my player character (not certain which, yet), the other...let's just say I've already got my hunted, whichever character I choose.

The marriage of Wanda Maximoff and Victor Shade -- better known as the hex-flinging Scarlet Witch and the all-too-human synthezoid the Vision -- was the realization of a dream for Wanda and Vic. Their love and committment now legally recognized, the two heroes were partners who found that their marriage provided everything they'd ever longed for...with one exception.

Children.

The Vision had not been designed to reproduce. As a synthezoid, it was flatly impossible for him to father children...but Wanda, with her strong will and long experience in persuading the laws of probability to shift her way, was determined to make the impossible possible, and the possible likely. This was one of the greatest trials faced by their young marriage, as Wanda immersed herself in exhaustive -- and exhausting -- occult researches, frequently closeted for hours or days with Agatha Harkness and returning home to the Vision only to fall into bed unconscious...and upon waking, begin again. For months, Wanda was almost insane with frustration and desperate hope.

At first patient and understanding, the Vision became concerned at his wife's increasing neglect of her reponsibilities as an Avenger, and of her own health. He finally confronted Wanda, and in the literally explosive argument that followed, warned her that she was dangerously obsessed with her magical quest.

"I'm doing this for us!" Wanda said furiously. "And you...you're indifferent to the whole idea of us having a family! I've never seen you as a machine before, Vic, but that's how you are now, just saying no, saying it can't be done, over and over again and I hate this side of you -- !"

At this point, the real fireworks began.

The Vision, irritated by Wanda's "manifestly irrational behavior" -- but more distressed by his own inability to understand why she felt the need to behave that way -- simply increased his density to the point of immoveability and let her vent her fury on him with hex bolts and chaos magic...which his hyperdense synthezoid body shrugged off. But as she tired, Wanda resorted instead to punishing words and accusations, which the Vision found more painful than her magical attacks.

And eventually he responded. "You, better than anyone, know that I am not a 'soulless robot', Wanda," the Vision said evenly. "But you mean me to be hurt...and I would have to actually be a soulless robot not to be hurt by your words. I too long for...a family, but not at the cost of my wife." The Vision put his hands on Wanda's shoulders, gently but inavoidably. "Nothing is worth that."

"Oh...Victor...." The fight left Wanda and she crumpled into the Vision's arms, crying tears of shame and regret and frustration.

"I am your husband," the Vision said. "Let me help, Wanda."

A day or two after that furious disagreement -- and some deep discussions and reorganization -- the Vision joined the Scarlet Witch in her researches in a capacity she playfully referred to as "my high-powered search engine." Though somewhat resentful of the Vision's inclusion, Agatha Harkness continued to assist Wanda in her search for the transformative magics she needed, and the Vision's presence, though nettling Agatha, had a greatly calming effect on Wanda. With the knowledge that her husband supported her, Wanda's efforts lost their edge of desperation, becoming more effective -- and at last, successful.

On a rainy day in April, eighteen months later, fraternal twins Barbara and Anthony Maximoff were born to Vision and the Scarlet Witch.

OK, I have a draft of Iron Girl for you guys. However, this is a DRAFT. It's a very primitive build of the suit which probabl;y could benefit from substantial refinement. I would also like input on the Disadvantages; Antoinette is in a very complicated situation and will sometimes react to things differently depending on whether she's in the suit; in partciular, she is merciful to a fault in life-or-death combat, but in the business world she can be utterly without pity. She also has the problem that she is an A-List celebrity as Antoinette Stark but is dead set against the general public finding out she's Iron Girl and will go to extraordinary lengths to protect her secret.

:nonp:Are you sure you're not me? I thought I was the only one capable of appreciating the awesomeness that is the Stilt-Man :D

You guys aren't alone. Love me some Stilt-Man, though I haven't gone so far as to collect appearances...yet. I mean, he's cool and all, but he's no Beetle or Porcupine... :D

Cap and someone else, maybe Peggy, coulda had a kid in the 70's. I like pushing back continuity and playing in 2006.

Well, first of all, I thought Avenger history had ALL been condensed. In other words, Let's say Cap got thawed out in late 1970. By 1980 he might be handing his costume over to the commision rather than being their patsy and taking up the mantle the Captain, where as in comic books, that happened in the late 90s.

Secondly, my reason for choosing Diamondback as the mom is two fold, one: I like her more. Two: Diamondback also has the super soldier serum in her veins and thus fits the idea of Banner somehow inheiriting it. Lastly, the idea of him having Black Mamba and Asp as "Aunties" amuses me greatly.

Unless the GM objects, I'll probably stick with DB.

Again, let me suggest we don'thave to build on a particular number, but rather a range. Say, 350-700? A really tight concept on a few points is just as much fun to play as a big gun type, and the Avengers don't seem to descriminate the way the JLA do.

I see good and bad sides to that approach. While it is realistic to the comics, there is a tendency among players to , given a choice to play Falcon or Thor, to pick Thor. Again, whatever Snake G. wants, but I think 600 total works fine and that equibility in game play is in a bit more demand than it is in comics. YMMV, natch.

Good call, the membership ought to be known to the populace, at least a little bit, and have broad police powers and so forth. According to Mavel Spotlight #39 (December 1990), for instance, an Avenger cannot legally be forced to unmask without first being convited of a felony. While this particular provision may not be used, we might want to think of stuff along these lines for our team.

Good point. There is a copy of the Avengers Charter somewhere online, might deserve a second look.

Jeez I missed a lot of posts..

Well, if I'm still considered to be in this thing, the main idea I'm kicking around revolves around Dane Whitman having relocated to Otherworld on behest of its new Lord and Omniversal Whyness, Brian Braddock, to serve as one of his chief agents and champions there (Saturnyne has a tricky habit of suborning the Captain Britain corps now and then), Dane, being in his element has gone on to live a prosperous (if never dull) and storied life there, marrying one of its denizens and (maybe a member of the corps) and raising a kid. His son has since grown and demonstrated much of his father's aptitudes, if with a few extra touches for having an Otherworld parent, and a preferance to have learned magic, instead of science and has clamoured to enter the service of King Brian, got recognized as such, and was sent to dimension 616 as Otherworld's Champion and agent there, His dad having gifted him with his gear (if not the Ebony Blade). And also done things like taken over the Whitman ancestral estate and such, and explored his family's descent from Arthur's court.

Basically, point wise, something that might end up looking like a jack of all trades master of none kind of build. Fighting skill, some wierd touches and amplified base stats for being from Otherworld, maybe a magic or gadget pool of some kind, magic armour, a flying horse, a bunch of skill.

That's my main idea in rough and without big detailed fancy background, I have a few others.

A very nascent alternate thought is one of Balder's kids, built in his style, but not sure if someone firmly wants an Asgardian (Balder the Brave was, basically, Captain Asgardmerica)

I am so interested in this.

Mention Iron Man and I am almost hooked. Period.

Armored/Powered Suit characters are my fav.

And I don't even build them that exotic. Pretty simple as a matter of fact.

How many points? 350? Skill requirements? DC/Active point limits?

575 points. No real skill requirement or AP limits' date=' I'll do those on a case by case basis.[/quote']

Wow, 575?

My 'Iron Man' plan was to be the grandson to Anthony Stark.

Not as brilliant, but still highly skilled.

Was going to base it on his old Guardsman armor.

Sample Character:

Guardsman

Player:

Val Char Cost

50 STR 5

24 DEX 12

28 CON 6

15 BODY 10

18 INT 8

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 0

10 COM 0

5/30 PD 2

5/30 ED 2

5 SPD 6

10 REC 8

26 END 0

40 STUN 10

7" RUN 2

2" SWIM 0

10" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 71

Cost Power END

17 Endurance Reserve (100 END, 10 REC) Reserve: (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

20 Elemental Control, 60-point powers, all slots: (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

21 1) Flight 17", x16 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (61 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 2

20 2) Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 6

50 Armor (25 PD/25 ED) (75 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

17 +35 STR (35 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 3

20 +10 DEX (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

15 +15 CON (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

7 +10 PRE (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

7 +1 SPD (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

13 Life Support , Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (19 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

7 Flash Defense (10 points) (Sight Group) (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

8 High Range Radio Perception (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

3 Nightvision (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 225

Cost Skill

3 Computer Programming 13-

3 Cryptography 13-

3 Electronics 13-

3 Inventor 13-

3 Mechanics 13-

3 SS: Cybernetics (INT-based) 13-

3 SS: Electrical Engineering (INT-based) 13-

3 SS: Metallurgy (INT-based) 13-

3 SS: Mechanical Engineerign (INT-based) 13-

3 SS: Physics (INT-based) 13-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Systems Operation 13-

Skills Cost: 36

Cost Perk

15 Money: Filthy Rich

Perks Cost: 15

Cost Talent

3 Lightning Calculator

Talents Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major

10 Reputation: Scientist 11-

20 Psychological Limitation: Protects Innocents (Common; Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing Common, Total

15 Psychological Limitation: Over Confident (Common; Strong)

20 Hunted: Villian Group 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)

15 Hunted: Armadillo 11- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

15 Enraged: Innocent Bystander Seriously Hurt or Killed (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0