Do I Really Need the Champions World Book?

Midnight

Hey Guys and Gals:

I'm thinking of giving Champions a fair shake again. I have the Hero 5th Rules manual and HeroDesigner for Champions. Do I really need the "Champions" Genre Book? I don't plan on using the champions Universe I plan on making my own. Are there any crunchy bits and or absolutley insdispensible advice in there that I'll be missing if I don't get it?

Midnight

Nope, you don't need it, at all.

You might want to still look at "Champions" (not "Champions Universe") which is a genre book which discusses the superhero genre, time periods, typical archetypes, ways to handle the impact of superhumans on the world, bases/HQs, and various GM advice.

Most of it is pretty basic stuff, imo, but a lot of people are finding it quite useful.

Well... Heromaker isn't going to help you much with 5th Edition. :D

Seriously, though... the usefulness of Champions Universe depends on what kind of world you want to have, and how much work you want to do. If nothing else, you could steal bits of the world, and use the book by having players read certain pages, chapters... but ignoring the rest.

I don't use it... but I have a world 17 years old, and don't need that kind of material. YMMV.

Champions Universe?

You need it

Not getting it could lead to premature baldness.

Not getting it could eventually incurr haltiosis.

It might lead to gout.

Well, then again, it might not, but why take chances? :)

Seriously, it depends as others have said. Sounds like you wouldn't need it as you're making your own world, but it does have a few good tidbits to rip off.. uhm , incorporate for your own world.

RDU Neil Wrote:

"Well... Heromaker isn't going to help you much with 5th Edition"

OOPS that was HeroDesigner!! My Bad!

And I think I ment the "Champions" Book Not the "Champions Universe" Book. I ment the genre book not the World Book.

Sorry about the Confusion!

Midnight

Originally posted by Midnight

RDU Neil Wrote:

"Well... Heromaker isn't going to help you much with 5th Edition"

OOPS that was HeroDesigner!! My Bad!

And I think I ment the "Champions" Book Not the "Champions Universe" Book. I ment the genre book not the World Book.

Sorry about the Confusion!

Midnight

The Champions Genre book is important, if you have newbies to the supers RPG concept. Even more so if they are comic readers, but not supers RPG players, yet. They will come with an idea of what a supers world should be like, and it may differ quite a bit from what you are thinking. The Champions genre book is good for getting them thinking about the fact that not all comics are the same... not all super worlds are the same... and help them see where you are coming from.

If you have experienced super gamers, then you'll likely need Champions less... though it can be good for discussion purposes.

CHampions Genre

AH, well that's a horse of a different color then.

Like RDU Neil said, it depends on how experienced in the genre you and your group are. Even then it's got some nice short cuts. Personally, I found the write ups on the bases nice, and the random generator may have a few bugs, but it can stir the muse a little.

I personally preferred Champions Universe as a place to steal ideas, although the random character generator is a good source for powers. I think that the value of the Champions genre book is inversely (is that spelled right?) related to your experience level. If you've played or GM'd champions extensively before it is a dissapointment. If you are new then it is invaluable as the only source. If money is not an issue, buy it and the Champions Universe. If for no other reason then to support a good company.

But even with the above comments in question, it still has a few kernels of gaming goodness even to critics like myself.

I have to admit, I have found the Genre book to be far more useful then the World Book has been.

Don't get me wrong thier both fine piece of work (brown nose, brown nose.. brown nose) but when it comes down to it I pull out the genre book far more often then I do the world one, mainly when I am feeling to lazy to properly make a NPC... got to love that character generator.

Now, The world book is a nice pre-package world to just drop people into... My PC's have already been sent to Millenium city once... God I want that source book!:D

Originally posted by Tamashii2000

Don't get me wrong thier both fine piece of work (brown nose, brown nose.. brown nose)

Your avatar (Krillian) doesn't HAVE a nose.

Doesn't it make sense, Krillian would be an incompadant Normal?

No, I don't think it makes sense, or only in the Social sense. Other than that -- considering the people & things he's gone up against (and done quite well for someone that isn't a Super Saiyan) under no circumstances would I call him an Incompetant Normal.

YOU go call him an Incompetant Normal. Go on. I double-dog dare ya! :cool:

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

Your avatar (Krillian) doesn't HAVE a nose.

No, I don't think it makes sense, or only in the Social sense. Other than that -- considering the people & things he's gone up against (and done quite well for someone that isn't a Super Saiyan) under no circumstances would I call him an Incompetant Normal.

YOU go call him an Incompetant Normal. Go on. I double-dog dare ya! :cool:

Heh, Well got to respect him when he ends up with the likes of 18.:cool:

Originally posted by RDU Neil

The Champions Genre book is important, if you have newbies to the supers RPG concept. Even more so if they are comic readers, but not supers RPG players, yet. They will come with an idea of what a supers world should be like, and it may differ quite a bit from what you are thinking. The Champions genre book is good for getting them thinking about the fact that not all comics are the same... not all super worlds are the same... and help them see where you are coming from.

If you have experienced super gamers, then you'll likely need Champions less... though it can be good for discussion purposes.

Yeah...I'm trying to ditch my genre books over on ebay....:P

Re: Do I Really Need the Champions Genre Book?

Originally posted by Midnight

Are there any crunchy bits and or absolutley insdispensible advice in there that I'll be missing if I don't get it?

I do not think anything in the book is indispensible. I do think there is some very good stuff in the book though. The archetype sections are useful. The Random Character generator is fun. The vehicles, bases, and equipment examples are good to have. The genre-specific new and adjusted rules sections are good. I also like the "optional" ranged aspect of Susceptabilities.

Buy Tclynch's on eBay. You probably won't be disappointed. :)