Older HERO rules in 5E games

Lord Liaden

Re: Older HERO rules in 5E games

But it was just in the past few months we dropped the -1 OCV for moving in a phase. It seems we had been doing that for a REAL long time! :)

Yeah, we kept that for about the first year we had 5E... then we realized we couldn't even find the reference in 4E!!!

Then, when we started a new campaign two years ago, we decided to go more "vanilla" 5E - no conversion issues, etc.

I'm all for exceptions. I just think the spirit of them is meaningful.

Then you and my GM are gonna hafta agree to disagree. ;)

Better; I won't tell her, so's she won't d/l your avatar for a dartboard. :snicker:

Me, I don't get all het up about it, but I'm glad they're gone. I just don't see the point, unless to make people drop a lot of points on every power. Makes 'em have too few powers to fill out some concepts, seems to me. You might see it different.

Then you and my GM are gonna hafta agree to disagree. ;)

Better; I won't tell her, so's she won't d/l your avatar for a dartboard. :snicker:

Me, I don't get all het up about it, but I'm glad they're gone. I just don't see the point, unless to make people drop a lot of points on every power. Makes 'em have too few powers to fill out some concepts, seems to me. You might see it different.

To my knowledge/memory, the minimums didn't demand much, but basically indicated where either more abusive builds were likely (i.e., serving as stop or warning signs) or simply served as a practical floor for an ability, to prestidigitator's point.

I'm not a hard core realist, but I've heard such contrary reports on the accuracy of autofire weapons, that even 3 round bursts can negativly impact accuracy, let alone full auto. I've know soldiers who prefered to use single shot rifles, their more accurate and save ammo (Note Im not a soldier)...I'm sorry I don't want to thread Jack.

I like the 4th edition Damage shields.

I know nothing about guns, but I know an internet that does...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/acr.htm

To my knowledge/memory' date=' the minimums didn't demand much, but basically indicated where either more abusive builds were likely (i.e., serving as stop or warning signs) or simply served as a practical floor for an ability, to prestidigitator's point.[/quote']

Another rather gamish one is 1" Flight for 2 CP. That lets you hover and overcome all kinds of obstacles out of combat (if slowly). Blek!

I've always used it as a synonym for 'upset' but it is more accurate to say (apparently) 'heated' (and you can see where the contraction came from):

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=het

Wow, :eek: is that off! :eek:

You're right, it means upset, angry, P.O.'ed.

They're right it comes from "heated up"; like "hot under the collar," "steamed up," "mad enough to boil eggs on his head," and like that.

My old group (up until a year ago) included a few people who had never bought the 5E books; as a result we had a mismash of 4E, 5E and 5ER, the final authority depending on who was GMing that day. Fortunately, we didn't have any rules lawyers in the group or it coulda got ugly.

Only "Old Ones" that I'm inclined to keep now:

• Vehicle rules from DI: still think they were more realistic, allowed for greater variation of vehicles, played better, and weren't any more complicated IMHO.

• Range Mods from original FH & DI (-1/x"): I go back & forth on this one. The fractional mods made it much easier to differentiate between, say, pistols and rifles; but I do like the exponential nature of the current RMod table.