The astonishing powers of Kelvarite!

FenrisUlf

To me, Kelvarite and its associated supers is one of the most fun and Silver Age ideas in the current Champs Universe. I've made up both a hero (Worldwalker) and a villain (Tempus) who have Kelvarite related origins, and Tachyon and Thunderbolt II are among my favorite villains.

Just some quick questions here:

1) Have any of you decided to use it in your games, be they CU or not?

2) From the desc given of the not-so-Lucky Bandit in Champions Worldwide with his 'super-speed and strength', does it sound to you like he is another lucky recipient of Kelvarite bombardment?

3) Has anyone done any thinking on just what the stuff is and where it *really* came from, and what its uses might be aside from 'granting an origin'? It sounds tailor-made to be a power source for that dimension or time-traveling vehicle.

Re: The astonishing powers of Kelvarite!

Yes, I've used Kelvarite more than once as a origin or character background material.

I actually thought of having a large chunk of Kelvarite land on a small town somewhere in the world killing a large chunk of the population, and empowering the survivors and seeing how the world deals with dozens if not hundreds of superhumans suddenly in the same location.

Interesting thought, Hermit.

As for Kelvarite, does anyone have a list of which NPCs in the CU have their powers because of it? (And the books they're in, of course.) I don't think I've ever seen a PC with a Kelvarite write-up, but if I see some examples, I might just make one of my own. And wait around for another game to open up to put him in.

I've occasionally mused having some Kelvarite-powered villain pull a Count Nefaria' date=' and drain away the powers of other Kelvarite-empowerees to boost their own. . .[/quote']

Taking the Count Nefaria analogy further, the villain could have the ability to actually gain mental control of other kelvarite powered supers, creating his own cadre of enslaved warriors.

THE KELVARITE MAN! I love it! :D

One thing I have considered for my campaign is having kelvarite be discovered in a small totalitarian state, e.g. Chiquador in the Champions Universe. With ambition and lack of scruples, the dictator of such a state could begin experiments designed to mass produce super-soldiers for an army of conquest. PCs might learn of the program while it's still in the experimental stage, and have to penetrate a foreign country to sabotage the project and steal the kelvarite before it can progress too far. Alternatively they may be pressed to join an international coalition after the aggressor nation attacks its neighbors, and find themselves on the front lines of a super-war.

Yes, I've used Kelvarite more than once as a origin or character background material.

I actually thought of having a large chunk of Kelvarite land on a small town somewhere in the world killing a large chunk of the population, and empowering the survivors and seeing how the world deals with dozens if not hundreds of superhumans suddenly in the same location.

I've suggested an event like this as one way for regions in the official Champions Universe with a small per capita supers population to get a boost. ;)

Note that meteors tend to enter Earth's gravity in groups, and with slightly different trajectories and aerodynamic properties they don't typically land in the same small area.

I've suggested an event like this as one way for regions in the official Champions Universe with a small per capita supers population to get a boost. ;)

Note that meteors tend to enter Earth's gravity in groups, and with slightly different trajectories and aerodynamic properties they don't typically land in the same small area.

That sounds like a great idea to me, as does the villain wth the ability to Drain/Transfer Kelvarite-based abilities from others to himself. Be a good way to get a lot more superhumans into the setting, especially in low-meta areas.

And the whole 'village full of Chiquadorans/Awadis gets superpowers' sounds like a great set-up for an adventure or even ongoing subplot within a campaign.

I took it to another level in my campaign, which is possibly campier.

There are other colors of kelvarite

3 Basic kinds (the primary colors)

1. Red - grants energy projection

2. Blue - grants super-strength

3. Yellow - grants super-speed

They can be compounded, but averaged (Tachyon and Thunderbolt 2 were exposed to green kelvarite). This can even extend to a brown kelvarite, which 1/3 as potent, but has all three.

Then there are three others:

1. White - temporarily enhances kelvarite powers

2. Black - absorbs kelvarite powers, and harms kelvarite-endowed characters

3. Grey - kelvarite that has been tapped of its powers.

I haven't decided on an origin, but I lean on fragments of dead cosmic beings.

Nice piece of work, TMM. May I assume you also see Kelvarite as one way to try and create a 'Superman' type (Brick, movement powers, maybe some energy projection, other powers, etc.) on 350 points? Worldwalker is basically my own idea of a Superman kind of character; very tough, but he still needs a group of fellow supers for support.

If we're ever able to publish big adventures again, I have a whole little mini-campaign sort of thing planned around kelvarite. :sneaky: It's too big for an HPA, unfortunately, except in a form so abbreviated that it wouldn't be nearly as much fun. Still, I'll keep mulling it around and maybe something will pop out eventually. ;)

If we're ever able to publish big adventures again' date=' I have a whole little mini-campaign sort of thing planned around kelvarite. :sneaky: It's too big for an HPA, unfortunately, except in a form so abbreviated that it wouldn't be nearly as much fun. Still, I'll keep mulling it around and maybe something will pop out eventually. ;)[/quote']

Could you release it as, say, a series of 3 smaller HPAs, with each one leading into the next one?

I would go with Dr Anomaly on this one. A series of HPA's that form a campaign length adventure I would definitely be interested in. Each one could be a piece of the puzzle although as with all adventure puzzles you never have to always get to the very end to enjoy them.

Nice piece of work' date=' TMM. May I assume you also see Kelvarite as one way to try and create a 'Superman' type (Brick, movement powers, maybe some energy projection, other powers, etc.) on 350 points? Worldwalker is basically my own idea of a Superman kind of character; very tough, but he still needs a group of fellow supers for support.[/quote']

That's the idea. for example, a character that was only exposed to yellow would have even greater movement power (possibly cosmic level); the same goes for Red, think of the secondary kelvarites as diluted combinations.

Could you release it as, say, a series of 3 smaller HPAs, with each one leading into the next one?

Hmmm. I'm not sure. I'll have to give that some thought and see if the broad overall plot could coalesce into more discrete stages.

Or, come to think of it, maybe I could wedge it, or part of it, into Stronghold. Have to give that some thought, too.

To Mister Long: I for one would love to see long Champs adventures again; I really love both the King Cobra and Interface adventures.

And I'd love to see something more done with the Champs Universe covering Kelvarite.

PS -- While you're here, getting back to a question I asked at the start of this thread, was Lucky Bandit (the Chinese brick-speedster arrested for supporting democracy) another recipient of Kelvarite's blessings?

Kelvarite! Rubbish! In my day we got our powers from radioactive bugbites and we were happy to do it too! :mad: grumble' date=' kids these days grumble...[/quote']

POWERS? POWERS? In my day we were lucky to get boxing lessons and a small boy in a mask!