Best supporting non-super character in comics?

Supreme Serpent

Re: Best supporting non-super character in comics?

Woozy Winks, of course. Even with powers.

Jimmy Olsen. He managed to sustain his own series for decades. Some of his stories truly rocked.

Lois Lane, for similar reasons.

Lana Lang - honourable mention.

Alfred.

Commissioner Gordon.

Funky Flashman!

Dan "Terrible" Turpin.

I'll leave out the Newsboy Legion, since they were originally stars rather than supporting cast.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta give props to Sue Dibney too. She was awesome. And something else I will always hold against DC.

Yep. Another exercise in stupidity in the current wave of stupidity.

Another non-super I like: Holly, from Catwoman.

Well yes, I'll admit that Woozy has had superpowers of a sort... (not that he exactly uses his abilities.) This aspect has been seriously toned down, though. Still, given how many "non-super" supporting characters have temporarily had superpowers or adopted heroic personas over the decades I'm still going to stand by Mr Winks, despite his taste in shirts.

Mr Miracles promoter' date=' he made me laugh.[/quote']

Oberon? The little grumpy guy? Yeah, I liked him a lot.

Kinda like the 4thed deathstroke reboot promoter
Not sure who you mean here, but I'm not as up on my Deathstroke history as I should be. Wasn't Winters his man for a long time (at least until he killed him)?

PS I just got HD and cant open HD files from heo central, what gives.

Um...dunno. Hit the HD forum and give Simon a shout.

Sue Dibny, who has many of the same traits that Hermit praises in Mary Jane.

I'm tempted to put Ma Hunkel, the golden age Red Tornado here, because she was a supporting character in Scribbly.

Good call on Sue.

And the original Red Tornado, the first transvestite Superhero! :thumbup:

The Superman cast was awesome. Unfortunately, they have been utilized less and less well, and less consitently since the Death of Superman era. Some faves:

Bibbo, the most unlikely of Superman's friends. A retired boxer, club owner and roustabout. Nevertheless, he has an iron resolve and an unerring faith in the Man of Steel.

Professor Hamilton (Mini-Rant: Now a freakin' villain?-He lost an arm as the result of a super battle and didn't hold it against Superman. He played honky-tonk piano and had a plain jane girlfriend and did his best to remain independant of Luthor and STAR. I realize he started out a villain, but I don't hold someone's origin against them, otherwise, I'd have to believe Ambush Bug wa a murderer. Uh, end rant)

Maggie Sawyer and Dan Turpin, Especially Dan. This is a normal guy taking on the forces of Darkseid as well as Superman's other toughest foes and surviving on pure guts. Like Alfred, his WWII roots are now inaccesible, but a great Kirby creation. Ditto the Newsboy Legion.

Jimmy "Mr. Action" Olsen, When I was a kid, I wanted to be Jimmy Olsen.

Gangbuster, who always felt like a normal guy trying his best to be a superhero.

Perry White, Rock solid paternal figure to the Metropolis pantheon. Great Man of the City.

There are others, but thinking about how they've been so poorly used in the last few years gets me depressed.

Keith "Superfan" Curtis

Best supporting characters?

I like the way they're handling Aunt May in recent issues of Spider-Man. She doesn't take any guff from anyone, even Wolverine.

Jolly Jonah from both the comics and the movies. Oh, and that one animated series too.

Just about everyone in the Dini & Timm Batman and Superman.

And say... does Volstagg of the Warriors Three count? I always did like him. Lazy, cowardly, a braggart, a real Falstaff of an Asgardian, but he still came through in the end for his family and friends.

Mr Miracles promoter, he made me laugh.

Oberon? The little grumpy guy? Yeah, I liked him a lot.

Oberon? The little grumpy guy? Yeah, I liked him a lot...

Actually, I think he's referring to the Funky Flashman, who is another you-love-to-hate-him guy. Real sleaze, but funny.

Oberon! I can't believe I forgot the little guy! :stupid: He's high on my list. Right above Alfred. (What can I say, I was a JLI junkie.)

Guest Lollygagger

Have they ever stated outright that Jim Gordon knows Bruce Wayne is Batman and that Perry White knows Superman is Clark Kent? I know they've hinted around it some. Batman thinking something about how White is too good a reporter to not have figured it out and Superman thinking the same thing about Jim Gordon's skills as a detective. But have they ever come out and said it?

Ooh! Ooh!...

Ben Urich! Especially in The Pulse. (That question about White knowing about Superman reminded me what Urich knows)

Jessica Jones too, when they're not trying to give her superpowers.

Ooh! Ooh!...

Ben Urich! Especially in The Pulse. (That question about White knowing about Superman reminded me what Urich knows)

Jessica Jones too, when they're not trying to give her superpowers.

I was going to say Jessica Jones, but I thought she wouldn't qualify for this thread because she is a certified super. She tends to downplay it, but she has quite a bit of power. I would estimate 35-40 STR, flight, heightened DEX and some resistant defenses. But, as a character, I really like her.

I'd like to give some love to Rick Jones. There's a guy who has hung out with: Hulk, Captain Marvel (the good one), and Cap. He wears a parachute under his jacket (because you never know) ... and -- did you see his batchelor party? Captain America hired a stripper and his wife-to-be was in a "stag movie".

How much better does life get?

Andy

Gwen Stacy.

I don't know exactly why, but she really always got to me. Particularly in Spiderman: Blue, where the whole story almost breaks your heart.

Assuming that I can ignore the recent Norman Osborne love affair, accelerated aging clones story lines, of course.