Usefulness of Naked Advantages...

SirViss

I haven't experimented with them too much, but I see some promise in them.

Mostly I see them as great options for when a character wouldn't want to use his Advantage. If, for example, a player wants the choice of not using the AP of his Energy Blast on, say, some happless thug, a naked Advantage is the way to go. As a GM I don't see this as much different from another character reducing the dice he used.

Another great thing it's for is Advantages that are linked to certain situations. AE on STR, with that advantage linked to Growth for example.

Of course, YMMV.

I've recently used it to simulate the following...

+ Reactor's Nuclear Shockwave - Explosion and Personal Immunity on STR, only if target is touching surface.

+ Maria's Crackshot - AP when shooting guns. Bought as OIF gun of opportunity, not if the target has any type of Lack Of Weakness.

+ Maria's Silver Avenger Cyberline Enhanced Punch - AP on STR, at 2x END cost.

That is what I can come up with right now...although I think there are more... ;)

Typically I use them when the advantage is disconnected in some way from the primary power. Like a separate focus attachment (bigger battery for reduced end/no end, power amplifier for extra range, AP, whatever).

Sometimes the advantage, itself, carries with it its own limitations. AP, but only if you spend an extra phase to fire. Explosion, but only if you are using both hands. No END cost, but only if it's daytime. Etc. This is simply easier to buy as a naked advantage than work work out lims on advs within complete powers.

It all still counts towards point caps if you have them, though, imo.

Generally, I don't allow Naked Advantages except in the context of "partially limited advantages" like Acroyear gives examples for.

There are times when Naked Advantages are the best way to mimic the effect, and when that's true I use them. I'm a big fan of the "use the mechanic that works" mentality :D They are, however, a permanent member of my "Requires a Darn Good Reason List".

Maybe I should have posted this last thread on the Hero System Discussion Board instead. The more I look at it the more my question seems to be not necessarily dependent on Genre.

The impression I am getting is the Naked Power Advantages are probably mor approprtiate in a Hero-level campaign (as opposed to Superhero). Something like Cyberpunk or Pulp Hero, and lets not forget Ninja Hero, to represent some of the fantastic things that the Heroes can do.And so, NPA should be avoided (or at least have the disad "Hunted:Watched") in a Champs game. :D