cslage's Brilliant Idea!

BoneDaddy

Force Wall Pipeline

I was wondering if there is any statement in 5th Edition

regarding the possibility of "narrowing and elongating"

a Force Wall ? For example, do the rules have a formula

for decreasing the radius of a Force Wall which is currently

surrounding a full hex, while keeping the same point level

in it and having it grow (for lack of a better word) "taller" ?

Possible in game use would be for the handling of an

environmental hazard and piping it away from innocent

bystanders and into a holding tank....etc.

I'd never thought of that, and obviously the rules don't provide for it (obvious to Steve, which is good enough for me in this case), but I think it is a brilliant application of the power. How would you model it?

Telekinesis? Sure, that's easy enough. I feel like there's some tweaking that needs to be done to get it modeled ju-u-u-u-st right, but I'm not currently able to think it up. So I'm rattling my tin cup, a mental mendicant, begging for ideas.

Oh, yeah, great idea Carl!

Re: cslage's Brilliant Idea!

Well, taking the cue from telekinesis, why not allow 'fine manipulation' to be bought for force wall, allowing you to make relatively complex shapes of your force walls, rather than just flat or curved planes? You could buy it with TK with the new (what's it called?) waterproof advantage.

Depends on comcept, I suppose.

I thought there was something in the rules to that effect..?

I think it's called "power skill" ;)...."I failed by two"..."Thats one leaky pipe..."...or, "I made it "..."I guess your idea works.."....I don't see it happening often enough to call for more, maybe a "Morphable" adder for force wall if you simply Must stat stuff out......Heck with that adder and Physican manifestation, you're well on your way for a Green lanturn clone...

My Green Lantern Clone would use Entangles with Area Effect (Hexes) to make green glowing constructs. Since Entangles are more designed for building than force wall. You applied the weight as STR and if the DEF held, you were good to go, else it started to crack. When the BODY was gone, it shattered like any entangle would.

Hey' date=' if you can mold the Force Wall into a pipe, you can mold the Force Pipe into a torus, and now you have the nasty stuff sealed up nicely in a closed vessel for as long as the Wall stays up.[/quote']

Or, alternatively, you could make the bad guy run in it like a hamster wheel.

Hey' date=' if you can mold the Force Wall into a pipe, you can mold the Force Pipe into a torus, and now you have the nasty stuff sealed up nicely in a closed vessel for as long as the Wall stays up.[/quote']

If all you want is a closed vessel, why bother making a torus? Why not just a closed sphere? Takes less surface area that way.

Now what I really want to see, is a force wall Klein Bottle!

Well, taking the cue from telekinesis, why not allow 'fine manipulation' to be bought for force wall, allowing you to make relatively complex shapes of your force walls, rather than just flat or curved planes? You could buy it with TK with the new (what's it called?) waterproof advantage.

Depends on comcept, I suppose.

I like the fine manipulation idea and the cost sounds about right.

I would tend to allow this kind of thing as a Power Trick without any Adder. It seems to me there is no real in-game reason not to allow a FW to be made taller rather than wider as closing the top is already optional anyway. Furthermore, it's a clever and creative use of a Power and I like to encourage things like that in my games. Of course, to channel anything dangerous such as lava or acid through such a "pipe" assumes the FW in question can take that kind of damage without breaking. :eg:

If you have a Force Wall with some value of PD that is Transparent to Energy damage, it should be able to hold lava (and acid, depending on the exact build) with no problem, as there is nothing physical for the heat or chemical properties to affect, and it just has to hold the weight.

If you have a Force Wall with some value of PD that is Transparent to Energy damage' date=' it should be able to hold lava (and acid, depending on the exact build) with no problem, as there is nothing physical for the heat or chemical properties to affect, and it just has to hold the weight.[/quote']That makes sense. It so happens I even have a Dark Champions character with exactly such a Force Wall... :sneaky:

If you do take a "Fine Manipulation" adder I think you get to the whole Green Lantern enchillada of Force Shapes. Force Wall, Force Fence, Force Cheese Grater, Force Skateboard Ramp, Force Rake, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum. Just no using Force Wall to duplicate effects of other powers (except as the occasional trick.) Oh yeah, and Force Enchillada, while we're at it.

I think the Power Skill could take care of this if this was just a one-off situation. If it was something the character wanted to do often, I'd require an adder like Fine Manipulation.

Now if the character didn't have the Power Skill and really needed to transport the liquid from here to there I might say "No" to making a pipeline, but "Yes" to creative use of the power. The character might, for example, first form a force wall to use as a dam. The dam would be shaped as a wedge so that there was a spout. After the force wall is in place, the character could form another force wall in the shape of a trough. And another and another as required.

This could become quite a dramatic situation as the hero tries desperately to maintain three, four, five force walls all at once. END runs out. STUN is being burned... Will our hero stay on his feet long enough to transport that stuff???

(or long enough for his teammates to figure out a way to help)