4th Edition supplements??

hancock.tom

I just won Cyber HERO 4th on ebay, and it isn't here yet. I was just wondering what folks thought about it. Should I be excited that it is on its way or dissapointed I paid 5$ for it ($1 plus 4$ shipping)?

I picked it up because I recently got Western HERO for almost as cheap and I really liked Western HERO. Certainly a different style from the 5th ed stuff, but overall I thought Western HERO was a good product, and will probably still be useful when we get 5th ed. Western HERO

Anyway, my good experience with western hero 4th caused me to buy cyber hero 4th. Will I be just as happy with the cyber book as I am with the western book?

Thanks old timers! ;)

Re: 4th Edition supplements??

"Worst HERO book ever" was the general sentiment, with a couple of dissenters, who thought it was 2nd worst. Wish I had remembered all of that before I bid on the thing.

Oh well, $5 isn't much. On the bright side, with this blizzard, I might need to start a fire to keep warm, and old books make GREAT kindling.

Oh, don't feel bad, just because its the worst HERO supplement ever doesn't mean it is a complete waste of time, I paid full price for mine many years ago and I don't regret it. Its definately worth $5, I just don't think it caught the feel of the Cyber genre very well but it does have some useful info in it.

Cyber Hero was pretty bad.

HOWEVER, it was DEFINATELY worth $5.

I'm a completist, so I've got pretty much everything. I have not come across a single rule/genre book in the 4th Edition stuff that I couldn't use SOMETHING out of. Sometimes its just a plot device, sometimes a character or background, sometimes a power construct I hadn't thought of, sometimes a rules expansion.

Cyber Hero has some good stuff in it, it just takes a little work to massage it into something juicy. It's definately a good start if you want to develop a Cyber campaign.

I took on 4th ed. western hero was a winner' date=' in my opinion. [/quote']

Western is one of those genres I just don't get. Its my least favourite genre. If my group decided to go Western I don't know if I could remain in the campaign. I like it that little.

HOWEVER, Western Hero had some GOOOOOD stuff in it.

This is part of the reason I do tend to be a completist and pick up stuff for genres I don't normally play. Just because we have no intention of going into space doesn't mean Star Hero won't have something in it I can use. I will always concentrate my $ on the stuff I can put to immediate use, but the other supplements are ALWAYS going to be worth something...especially if you can pick them up for a couple of bucks.

I don't feel bad. I took a chance, and this time i might lose, but the chance I took on 4th ed. western hero was a winner, in my opinion.

I'm sure i'll find something worthwhile in there.

I liked Western HERO alot, I thought it was one of the better 4th ed books. Unfortunately I seem to find many with the same taste as rapier and have no interest in a western game :(

Western is a tricky genre, but the book gives it a good try.

I liked Western HERO alot, I thought it was one of the better 4th ed books. Unfortunately I seem to find many with the same taste as rapier and have no interest in a western game :(

Western is a tricky genre, but the book gives it a good try.

One of my favorite way-back-when campaigns was a Boot Hill campaign that I ran. I have Western Hero and had always thought a campaign might be fun, the old TSR Boot Hill rules were way to simplistic. But I am in the same boat you are in since most of my group don't have Western Hero very high on their list. I think that Western Hero was a pretty good effort.

In the "what should the big 2007 release be?" poll thread over on the Discussion board' date=' [i']Cyber Hero[/i] was one of the choices, and it generated a lot of discussion about the old book's quality. You might want to check that out.

Cyber Hero had a lot of neat ideas, but they were implemented (IMO) poorly. When I first bought the book (way back when) I excitedly started putting together a campaign and, by the time the first session was over had completely re-written the netrunning rules and all of the cyber equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

$5 is about twice what I'd pay for it.

Plan on re-writing absolutely every piece of equipment, and "power," to make them fit the rules. Whoever wrote 4th ed CH hadn't clue one about Hero System.

Also, forget even the "description text" for "the Net" and a few other things; they either don't work that way in Hero, or it'd be a pain in the rear to get Hero to work that way.

Other than that, it's an OK source of ideas. In fact, some of the clothing/fashion ideas are pretty good.

I have it and I wouldn't call it the worst ever. But you will need to rewrite any equipment. The "concepts" for everything do have definite usuable value. I wouldn't use it "stock" but it does give a very usable starting point for a Cyber Game. I liked the book as an "idea mine".

An easier way is to just use Kazei 5 with mods.....

Well, Cyber HERO 4th has arrived and I must say that I do not regret spending 5$ on it. It does really suck, but there are many good ideas in there and I think it will work well as a source of ideas for a cyber game. The setting material was pretty weak, and a lot of the equipment writeups are just bad. I skipped the netrunning chapter but it looked decent (note I did not read it)

Overall, I don't regret spending 5$ for it, but it is a big pile of mediocre with some bad mixed in.

Now, more questions!!!!!!

1. How is 4th ed. Horror HERO? What was it like generally? What did you like/dislike about it?

2. I can't find a copy of Kazei 5. Will it ever be reprinted? Was it ever in print in the first place? Where can I get a printed copy if one exists?

Thanks to anyone who can help with these questions.

Also, anyone want to sell me your old copy of horror hero??:)

1. How is 4th ed. Horror HERO? What was it like generally? What did you like/dislike about it?

I think it was pretty good. Well written, clear, correct use of Hero System, etc. I think it had a good feel for horror, though since I'm not much into horror I could be wrong on that.

It can be thought of as having 4 sections: the first section is a lot of intro material, new rules and options, character creation suggestions, and so forth. The second through fourth sections are three chronological periods; Victorian/Wild West, Pulp, and Modern.

In the first section, the "Spirit Rules" are just plain bad, but the rest of it varies from OK to Very Good. The Victorian/Wild West stuff is great, the Pulp Era stuff is too. The Modern stuff, however, left me flat. It is, IMO, more Conspiricy Hero than Horror Hero. I once described it as "undead shapeshifting Illuminati" and I think that sums it up well.

Also' date=' anyone want to sell me your old copy of horror hero??:)[/quote']

Not a chance! :D

Interesting use of the dollar sign there :)

I've not seen it put after an amount before.

Anyhow - I quite liked Horror Hero. Mainly the genre specific ideas and advice it gave, and the NPC writeups. Cyber Hero I haven't looked at in years - it's sitting on a shelf with all my 2/3rd ed Champions modules.

Horror HERO is an excellent book. It provides three background settings: Wild West Horror (very good indeed), 1930's Pulp Horror (pretty good) and Modern Conspiracy Horror (average). The Wild West background is very tasty and avoids the OTT nature of titles such as Deadlands - think of tales by Manly Wade Wellman and Robert E Howard. The 1930's stuff is hardcore pulp that flirts with Cthulhu-style nastiness. The Modern stuff makes a good stab at a low-powered Constantine / Ghost Rider / Vampire$ feel.

The book has soild rules for adding various levels of stress and insanity into the game and plenty of discursive material on the nature of horror, magic systems, genre tropes.

Highly recommended :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Horror Hero is one of my favorites as well.

If I could work on one Hero Project, it would be Horror Hero.

Its worth 15 dollars easy.

Look at Titans games online. I think they have copies for sale.

They have a lot of earlier Hero stuff as well for cheap prices.