Favorite HERO mechanics

Supreme Serpent

Are there particular parts about HERO that you love? Things that, now that you've been exposed to them, you look for in other game systems?

For me, it's probably several things.

Point-based construction, with the myriad options on how the end result looks. Love it. Some other systems have incorporated this to a degree, and it's a common home-brew change done to many systems. The ability to incorporate incremental growth or focus development in one area is good too, and often lacking in more level-focused systems.

DCV is for dodging, DEF is for when you don't- so many systems base hitting chances based solely on the attacker, or based on whether or not it's a "solid" hit based largely on the defender's armor (*cough*armorclass*cough*). Modifiers abound of course, but I really like how DCV works.

Knockback - mainly for supers games. I've yet to find a system that handles this better.

Re: Favorite HERO mechanics

I second the speed chart. There is a lot I like but the SPD chart is great.

I also like power frameworks, It isn't easy to really put a cost on versatility, but HERO does a good job.

This isn't really a mechanic, so perhaps it isn't an appropriate candidate, but I have always liked how easy it is to house rule/alter the rules of HERO. Its that easy because the "hood is up" on the system. Its very transparent, all the rules and system philosophy is laid out for you to see, and you can do what you please.

Point based building. As has been mentioned.

The divorce of SFX from mechanics. This is the big one, even moreso than pointbased. Looking at old Marvel and DC games, if you came up with a character that had a special effect the designers didn't come up with you couldn't play it.

The speed Chart. I love it.

Cv / Def as has been mentioned.

The divorce of SFX from mechanics. This is the big one' date=' even moreso than pointbased. Looking at old Marvel and DC games, if you came up with a character that had a special effect the designers didn't come up with you couldn't play it.[/quote']

Lord Mhoram is right. This is the part of Hero System that has always appealed to me the most. No list of powers like "Fire Blast, Cone of Ice, Water Blast, Wind Blast," etc., etc., etc., etc. Just "RKA, now what special effect do you want?"

Point based build is a close second to me. The SPD Chart, Figured Characteristics, Perks, and the contrast of Talents vs. Power are also things I like.

DCV/OCV interactions... the maneuvers...

Big time STUN and BODY as different types of damage

Def reduces damage

Flexible character building (though I'm less and less enamored with points and/or the implication that any possible build is as good as any other)

Core axioms of 1 per 5 for effect... which means you can wing ANYTHING and have a scale to help make your decision

I actually hate the SPD chart and would never go back to it... but the basic break down of "actions" per phase (whether you use phases or initiative) is very well done.

Scalability (within reason)

Best of all... adaptability. If you understand Hero's basic building blocks... you can "bolt on" non-Hero stuff that works in tandem and can really enhance the game. (Initiative system, Luck Chits, Nar "Flags" etc.)

This flexibility is what has kept me using Hero for so long.

Are there particular parts about HERO that you love? Things that' date=' now that you've been exposed to them, you look for in other game systems?[/b']

For me, it's probably several things.

Point-based construction, with the myriad options on how the end result looks. Love it. Some other systems have incorporated this to a degree, and it's a common home-brew change done to many systems. The ability to incorporate incremental growth or focus development in one area is good too, and often lacking in more level-focused systems.

DCV is for dodging, DEF is for when you don't- so many systems base hitting chances based solely on the attacker, or based on whether or not it's a "solid" hit based largely on the defender's armor (*cough*armorclass*cough*). Modifiers abound of course, but I really like how DCV works.

QUOTE]

These two would be my favorites by far. The point based construction allows you to build the character you envision, not a sort of homage to the idea you had. And separating DCV and DEF gives both the nimble swashbuckler and the tank in heavy armor both a fair shot at survival. Most systems slant heavily one way or the other.

The divorce of SFX from mechanics. This is the big one' date=' even moreso than pointbased. Looking at old Marvel and DC games, if you came up with a character that had a special effect the designers didn't come up with you couldn't play it.[/quote']

How could I forget this one... drop another vote down on this aspect.

There is too much about the Hero System I love to list those parts, but there is one thing that I now find myself looking for in other systems. That is non-ramdom/player choice character generation. I've been burned too many times writing up a character randomly (even if it's only his characteristics) to ever want to do that again. I'd also say the SPD chart, but really, it's not that important to me. I'd also say that non-level based advancement is also good, but I can deal with that in other games; it's just one method of maintaining game balance.

One thing others have mentioned is the seperation of SFX from game mechanics. This is absolutely king, and one of the best aspects of Hero. I don't look for it in other games though, because it's just to easy to apply even if the system doesn't have it built in. If I want a spell with the same mechanical effect of a Magic Missile, but it looks like a flame whip, no problem. Done. D&D doesn't have to make a rule for this (although I understand they eventually did).

For me it's the following:

• Building Power constructs with Limitations and Advantages
  • The whole Special Effects vs. Game Effects thing
  • Disadvantages -- particularly the generic approach to them
  • SPD Chart
  • 11+OCV-DCV
  • STUN and BODY
  • Defenses stopping damage rather than affecting to-hit chances

Lots of things that have aready been mentioned and one thing that hasn't:

a (mostly) consistent metasystem. As a player, that makes it possible to build/do things that are not explicitly laid out in the system, because you can build off what does already exist and extrapolate in a logical fashion.

As a GM, it makes it easier to *handle* the things which are not explicitly built into characters or the rules. You can do this in any system but adding appropriate amounts of handwavium, but in Hero system the underlying framework makes it easy to make an appropriate response - it also makes it easy to be consistent.

cheers, Mark

The divorce of SFX from mechanics. This is the big one, even moreso than pointbased. Looking at old Marvel and DC games, if you came up with a character that had a special effect the designers didn't come up with you couldn't play it.

To me, this is the essence of HERO and what makes it truly stand out.

Oh... and I implied this, but didn't state it specifically.

3d6 Bell Curve! This is the greatest stabilizing factor of game play... and I love it. Could be done with non-d6... but I believe that Hero is the one game really structured around the Bell Curve in terms of scaling game play.

It's the bell curve bay-bee!

3d6 Bell Curve! This is the greatest stabilizing factor of game play... and I love it. Could be done with non-d6... but I believe that Hero is the one game really structured around the Bell Curve in terms of scaling game play.

Absolutely. I thought for the longest time that my die rolls were cursed, and was extraordinarily superstitious about them. With the 3d6 distribution, I've relaxed considerably.

I'm not sure if it's a mechanic or what to call it, but character development is more out than up. In other words, you slowly fill in a variety of powers your character is capable of, rather than just build up on what you can already do to cause more massive damage. I like that. Yeah, some characters build up their powers in strength and build up their defenses, and that's their right, but it's just as fun to build new powers and skills, and justify why that is.

Excellent point.

Point based building. As has been mentioned.

Lord M has my #2 and #1. The SFX concept is so powerful. Point based in second. Great stuff.

Shoot! Is there anything about Hero I don't treat this way? Hard to say.

Just about every time I'm in a game session for another system and we run into a bit of a debate or need to come up with some custom rules or a one-time ruling, I find myself saying or at least thinking: "That would be covered beautifully if we were playing Hero." That is often the case directly, but if not, I find the general guidelines and consistency of the system provide a framework for a simple, straightforward, intuitive, "obvious," answer.

Absolutely. I thought for the longest time that my die rolls were cursed' date=' and was extraordinarily superstitious about them. With the 3d6 distribution, I've relaxed considerably.[/quote']

That's odd. Thanks to the 3d6 bell curve, I have proof that my die rolls are cursed! How else can I consistantly roll that many 15s?

That's odd. Thanks to the 3d6 bell curve' date=' I have [i']proof[/i] that my die rolls are cursed! How else can I consistantly roll that many 15s?

Heh. I was that way, too, until I got my dice competing for my affections.

Okay, I'm still a LITTLE superstitious.

But I do like that it's easier to buy up my target numbers to where I can hit them most of the time. Even with cursed dice, I can still roll under a 14 50% of the time.

the ability to simulate an effect with a variety of approaches

point based construction, power advantages and limitations, disads

good scaling system

power frameworks

the martial arts system

perks

Presence

INT as a measure of perceptual speed and "quick thinking" rather than IQ per se