Speedster Question...

Silverbullet

Awhile back we got one of the threads “What do you want to see?” for the upcoming Ultimate Speedster. I thought of and asked there a question that is really more appropriate here. So now that I remembered to do it I though I’d repost that said question...

In HERO System, what would be the most appropriate way to handle a speedster, whose mind is not as fast as his powers, i.e. running around a city and having to dodge traffic at super speed while his mind/reactions run at normal ‘human’ speed?

Really, the situation would be something like: A man gets hit with a “ray” that gives him super speed that he can’t control. Reaching for a glass of water he would knock the glass over or knock it against the wall; walking to the store he would race into the side of a building; etc…

Thanks for the help…

Re: Speedster Question...

High SPD and movement, not so high DEX. No "speedster tricks" that involve rapid coordination.

Perhaps a limit on his movement reflecting worse turn modes?

[i recently wrote up a villainess for a fellow GM who (character, not the GM) has some control issues. "Runaway", who has trouble slowing down and sometimes problems turning. Think I built her with flight (only on surface), with additional limits like "if makes full move, must follow with at least 'full' half move" - so no full move then suddenly stopping. Disad "sometimes trouble stopping/turning". Combined with flight turn modes (and no levels w/turn mode) can literally run into problems from time to time.]

Does he have something like a impact absorbing force field or regeneration to prevent him from dying stupidly?

No.

Effectively the PC's will have to save this man from, not only himself but save him from destroying whatever he hits.

If you were to dive off a 10 story building, into a car, it would not only kill you but destroy the car, and possible kill( or seriously injure) anyone in the car. That’s the effect I was going for.

Interesting...

A buddy of mine threw this up on my LJ account. Just to say, I really haven't used, nor experienced speedsters all that much. So I'll just ask for any follow up comments on this as well...

<<

First idea is to give the hero lots of Running, but keep his Speed relatively low.

Second idea is Running with the Limitation "Noncombat Movement Only." No Noncombat Movement is a -1/4 Limitation; I'm not sure if that would make Noncombat Only a -3/4 Limitation or not. Yes, he can run fast in a battle, but his OCV will drop to 0 and his DCV will be halved.

If that's too much, you can give him a lower base Running power, but boost his noncombat speed. He can only *really* go fast when he's not distracted. He has to slow down when he's trying to do other stuff (closer to the speed of his mind).

Third idea is Running with the Limitation "Turn Mode" (-1/4). That will make him less maneuverable, representing the fact that he's moving faster than he can think.

If that's too harsh for you, you might try a Limitation "Requires a Skill Roll" (-1/2) coupled with "Side Effects" (variable). Give him a DEX- or INT-based Skill called "Maneuverability." Every time he runs, he has to roll or he runs into something (roll modified by difficulty of attempted effort). You could reduce "Requires a Skill Roll" to a -1/4 Limitation and say it only applies to tricky maneuvers.

Were there any particular effects you were trying to accomplish with this character?>>>

So how does this look to all of you (I'd say y'all-- being southern and all, but hey!!!):D

Personally, I'd have another build for 'out of control' running. It doesn't seem to make sense to have him run at a speed that is too fast for him, I'd think he'd rarely do it unless it's an emergency. I mean, really, my car speedometer goes up to 180 mph...but I never use it. Not just because it is illegal, but because I don't have the ability to control a car going 180 mph.

Now I'm not sure how fast this speedster would be, but it seems conceivable that that if a fighter pilot can learn to fly a supersonic jet and an indy car driver can learn to drive an indy car, then the speedster could 'learn' to run at superspeeds.

Question: Should speedsters have to obey the speed limit?

Personally, I'd have another build for 'out of control' running. It doesn't seem to make sense to have him run at a speed that is too fast for him, I'd think he'd rarely do it unless it's an emergency. I mean, really, my car speedometer goes up to 180 mph...but I never use it. Not just because it is illegal, but because I don't have the ability to control a car going 180 mph.

Now I'm not sure how fast this speedster would be, but it seems conceivable that that if a fighter pilot can learn to fly a supersonic jet and an indy car driver can learn to drive an indy car, then the speedster could 'learn' to run at superspeeds.

Oopss, sorry Jeff, I wasn't clear. He can't control it... It's kind of an on or off thing... He doens't just walk anymore... if he moves he moves at 150mph or not at all....

Legally, I believe it's only if they're operating a ground vehicle of some kind. I've heard of bicyclists getting ticketed going downhill exceeding the local (25mph or so) speed limit. Doubt they could ticket someone running, or flying (otherwise there'd be a lot of pilots with tickets I would think). Of course in a supers world laws might be made/changed.

Oopss' date=' sorry Jeff, I wasn't clear. He can't control it... It's kind of an on or off thing... He doens't just walk anymore... if he moves he moves at 150mph or not at all....[/quote']

It has some humor value, but if it's that out of control, he should be dead long before the characters meet him.

Maybe give him his movement powers and some extra STR at Always On, Full Power Only (-1), and then buy off that limit as a naked advantage. Apply "Requires an EGO roll" to the NA. The extra STR gets a -1/2 Side Effect (takes 3d6 damage every time he uses it).

Oopss' date=' sorry Jeff, I wasn't clear. He can't control it... It's kind of an on or off thing... He doens't just walk anymore... if he moves he moves at 150mph or not at all....[/quote']

Ah, I see. Well then he definitely would need some high defenses of some sort otherwise at any moment he'd go 'splat' unless he hangs out constantly in wide open spaces. :)

Otherwise, unless he's pure Wiley E. Coyote comic relief, then the limitation needs toned down severely.

It has some humor value, but if it's that out of control, he should be dead long before the characters meet him.

Maybe give him his movement powers and some extra STR at Always On, Full Power Only (-1), and then buy off that limit as a naked advantage. Apply "Requires an EGO roll" to the NA. The extra STR gets a -1/2 Side Effect (takes 3d6 damage every time he uses it).

Good point. I don't want this to be funny. I want it to be (he, he) realistic...

Suggestions are good... keep ‘em coming…

Buy absurd Noncombat multipliers to his running, buy off the turn mode, and give him the Psych Lim: must move at full speed when moving(Very Common, Strong).

This guy sounds like he is going to kill himself the next time he tries to put a fork in his mouth...

Ohh... didn't think of that. THe PC's could find him, starving, because he hasn’t been able to eat (he tares his food apart before he can consume it) and weakened by that too...hum.:eek:

Ohh... didn't think of that. THe PC's could find him' date=' starving, because he hasn’t been able to eat (he tares his food apart before he can consume it) and weakened by that too...hum.:eek:[/quote']I would think that if something as simple as eating would become an issue, that there would be a whole host of other mundane tasks that would not only become difficult, but life threatening. Take for instance something as simple as walking out a door. He'd smash through it. Or if answered a phone he could knock himself out. He would probably quickly find himself in a padded hospital room. Just my opinion.

I would think that if something as simple as eating would become an issue' date=' that there would be a whole host of other mundane tasks that would not only become difficult, but life threatening. Take for instance something as simple as walking out a door. He'd smash through it. Or if answered a phone he could knock himself out. He would probably quickly find himself in a padded hospital room. Just my opinion.[/quote']

Imagine the first time he needs to use the toilet.

He sounds like he belongs in the 'Your PCs might be underpowered' thread. :D

Really, this sounds like pure Wiley-E-Coyote-ism. I agree, he'd kill himself within 5 seconds of acquiring his powers if he didn't acquire some measure of super-toughness to go with his super-speed. Whiplash, anyone?

Really' date=' that was my first thought, but I decided to let someone else go there. :)[/quote']

Does he breathe so fast his lungs can't extract oxygen? His heart pump so fast arterial blood squirts out his pores. Do his muscles contract so quickly the pulverize his bones (you know, when he blinks)?

Does he breathe so fast his lungs can't extract oxygen? His heart pump so fast arterial blood squirts out his pores. Do his muscles contract so quickly the pulverize his bones (you know' date=' when he blinks)?[/quote']Those would make it hard to tell the story I think Silverbullet wants to tell. I'd assume that the victim's body has fully adapted to ultraspeed, but he's not capable of mentally processing the info fast enough.

To let him survive long enough for the players to find and help him, I'd give him relatively high defenses defined as superduper fast healing, plus good REC and Regen for what gets through. Then I'd get really gory describing the bits he leaves behind, scraped off on the wreckage of cars, walls, hotdog carts, or what-have-you.

Those would make it hard to tell the story I think Silverbullet wants to tell. I'd assume that the victim's body has fully adapted to ultraspeed, but he's not capable of mentally processing the info fast enough.

To let him survive long enough for the players to find and help him, I'd give him relatively high defenses defined as superduper fast healing, plus good REC and Regen for what gets through. Then I'd get really gory describing the bits he leaves behind, scraped off on the wreckage of cars, walls, hotdog carts, or what-have-you.

Yeah, thats pretty much it, though some of the ideas here are pretty funny (read disturbing) After reading some of the ideas here, I’m now thinking he will have high regen/recovery, etc but maybe its breaking down—or maybe its not able to keep up with the “pace†of the characters speed power development…

Hm. Sell back his frree Running based movement and buy all his Running with the Limitation Must be used at Full Power, give it a turn Mode, perhaps an increased one. Physical Limitation: Hasn't Adapted to superspeed could reflect all the harzards of his condition. I agree good defenses, or a healthly dose of fiat would be required for this character to last long enough for the PC to help him.