A tricky rules question (Hellsing)

Black Omega

My players don't look.;)

There is a character in Hellsing who can use a magic bullet attack that basically can hit a target multiple times, or multiple targets or even 'chase' someone. It's been used to shoot down supersonic fighters, hitting it multiple times, so it can do alot of damage. It's been using to shoot multiple people standing in the same area. In that case, one of the targets dodged and jumped up to a higher spot but the attack followed him up and finished him off.

How would you do this? I've seen the various things on the Omega Effect for Darkseid, which has a certain simularity. But it unerringly follows and hits one target, while this is less damaging but does can hit multiple targets.

The Omega Effect summon little bullet that does multiple movethroughs has some merit but I'm wondering if anyone has a more elegant, less complex solution?

Re: A tricky rules question (Hellsing)

From your comments I'm guessing that you've seen various constructs for projectiles that are built as Vehicles and Automatons, so that they're self-propelled and self-guiding, with the guns Summoning them; and that that construct doesn't appeal to you. Do I have that right?

If so, you might consider applying various Advantages that can allow for this, with the Special Effects looking like what you want. For example, you could give the gun Area Of Effect: Selective Target to allow the bullet to strike several targets in the same Phase, but with the Special Effect being that it strikes each target in sequence. Or Indirect to allow the bullet to "follow" a target around a corner or over an intervening wall.

If you go to this webpage, you'll find a writeup for Clint Eastwood's "spaghetti-western" character, The Man With No Name. Advantages like those are used to account for his ability to shoot with infallible accuracy, including multiple targets almost simultaneously.

It will hit anything within one kilometer with near perfect accuracy, up to 5 times per phase. It will keep going, phase after phase, no matter where the target runs. It will penetrate all but the hardest of armors. The only way to stop it is to somehow destroy it, or the man that fired it. I present to you, The Smartest Bullet.

112 Smartest Bullet: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 10m (+1/4), Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Penetrating (x2; +1), Autofire (5 shots; +1 1/2) (112 Active Points)

It will hit anything within one kilometer with near perfect accuracy' date=' up to 5 times per phase. It will keep going, phase after phase, no matter where the target runs. It will penetrate all but the hardest of armors. The only way to stop it is to somehow destroy it, or the man that fired it. I present to you, [b']The Smartest Bullet.[/b]

Hmm... that might just do it. Needs some limitations, like OAF (rifle), Charges (x number), Concentrate (Rip needs to will the thing where to go, I think), and the like. I'd also make it a 1 1/2d6 to 2d6 RKA, to represent the sheer damage it does when hitting (it does quite a few insta-kills).

Swiped!!!

Hmm... that might just do it. Needs some limitations, like OAF (rifle), Charges (x number), Concentrate (Rip needs to will the thing where to go, I think), and the like. I'd also make it a 1 1/2d6 to 2d6 RKA, to represent the sheer damage it does when hitting (it does quite a few insta-kills).

Swiped!!!

Glad you liked it. :)

The One Hex Accurate Megascale is lifted from The Ultimate Mystic. All sorts of tweaks can be made to the advantages and limitations according to the campaign, but I like this general build for this type of effect.

Some good ideas' date=' but I think the Smartest Bullet is the winner. Nicely done.:)[/quote']

Yeah, I'm renaming it "Warhead of Destruction" and using it when I get around to my Hellsing manga adaptations.

The One Hex Accurate Megascale is lifted from The Ultimate Mystic. All sorts of tweaks can be made to the advantages and limitations according to the campaign' date=' but I like this general build for this type of effect.[/quote']

Why would you need No Range Modifier? It seems you could plausibly take No Range.

I confess, this looks pretty munchkinny to me. I don't think One Hex Accurate was meant to do that. Plus when you break it down, this build puts Automatic Hit within a 1 km radius as a +3/4 Advantage. I don't have a problem with an Automatic Hit Advantage, but it would definitely be more than +3/4.

Why would you need No Range Modifier? It seems you could plausibly take No Range.

I confess, this looks pretty munchkinny to me. I don't think One Hex Accurate was meant to do that. Plus when you break it down, this build puts Automatic Hit within a 1 km radius as a +3/4 Advantage. I don't have a problem with an Automatic Hit Advantage, but it would definitely be more than +3/4.

I add in the NRM because the Automatic Hit for +3/4 does seem a bit on the cheap side, and NRM plus the May Be Scaled Down option pump the total advantage up to +2. Additionally, the advantages make a certain conceptual sense imo.

Megascale Accurate is drawn from the Ultimate Mystic, and is a potentially unbalancing construct. However, for some effects, it does fit.

Here's what it looks like without the Megascale:

105 Smartest Bullet II: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Penetrating (x2; +1), Autofire (5 shots; +1 1/2) (105 Active Points)

And here's a variation built like bullets fired from a hand gun (no megascale):

48 Smartest Gun: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2), 4 clips of 10 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Penetrating (x2; +1), Autofire (5 shots; +1 1/2) (97 Active Points); OAF Durable (Smartest Gun; -1) [10 cc]