Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BobGreenwade

"Sleeper" Genres

In part inspired by the discussion on "genres HERO should avoid"...

...and in part by the emergence of Lucha Libre Hero, along with some positive remarks made by the prospect of Cave Hero...

...what other unlikely genres do you think HERO could do a book on, and get it to actually sell?

Re: "Sleeper" Genres

Erotic Hero, with top rate illustrations and distributed as a plastic wrapped hard back printed on glossy paper, would sell like crazy. Any controversy would be a blessing and further increase sales.

Cheesecake Champions or Champions: The Swimsuit Edition would also sell well.

Blaxploitation HERO: Gives the heroes the oppoortunity to stick it to The Man.

60s Spy HERO: Yeah, baby. Yeah! Oh, behave!

Immortal HERO: There can be only one!

Jak

anime-flavor-of-the-month hero - use leverage off of whatever's hot on tv and hook up with a large and growing fanbase. Unfortunately, licensing the real thing costs money. On the upside, whatever's hot at the moment always has a metric buttload of fanart available so finding people to illustrate it is child's play.

alternately, make your own knockoff version of the above. You won't have nearly the appeal of an actual licensed product, but you don't have to worry about licensing fees, approval, etc.

Final Fantasy # Hero. These games regularly ship between 5-8 million units. Sell an RPG book to just 1% of this market and you have a HUGE seller by our standards.

Also, I'd love to see a reprinting of Danger, International. It rocked.

ANIME LARP Hero. Goth larps have been around for over a decade, and are still drawing a decent audience. CosPlay, Manga and Anime are big, and not yet falling. ANIME LARP Hero will draw in cosplaying teen and college age girls, and geeky guys who'd do anything (short of exercising, following a sensible diet, bathing regularly, and getting a good job) for a shot at those girls.

It's a niche waiting to be filled.

Well' date=' if they focussed on specis package deals, I'd go for Furry Hero.[/quote']

I'd second that one, with suggestions how to use these species pkgs in Fantasy, Champions, and Space campaigns, and maybe others.

I think a sourcebook for "Supernatural HERO" would do well. Not quite horror' date=' not quite supers, not quite Dark Champions. Guidelines and suggestions for running games based off of shows like Buffy, Charmed and the like.[/quote']I like this idea. I probably wouldn't buy it for myself, but it has a lot of potential -- especially considering that "dark secret" elements (like on Lost and Desperate Housewives) and other supernatural bits (as on Medium and The Ghost Whisperer) are making a big thrust on TV right now.

I like this idea. I probably wouldn't buy it for myself' date=' but it has a lot of potential -- especially considering that "dark secret" elements (like on [i']Lost[/i] and Desperate Housewives) and other supernatural bits (as on Medium and The Ghost Whisperer) are making a big thrust on TV right now.

And it would be a good replacement for Horror Hero, leaving the latter for 'victim' roleplaying.

I must say that a "Pirate Hero/ Hornblower Hero" would be a treat. The only problem is, from what I've seen, that the system doesn't work too well on vehicles that are the base of such games ( Ships, Frigate, etc.).

I'm toying with this setting for long time but sure an official book wuold be good !!

I think that considering all the different settings that Hero has already tackled Steampunk Hero is the most eminent lack ( in my opinion...). There is a lot of potential there...

Ciao

Andrea

Yeah, Steampunk is ramping up. It didn't take hold here at first, but the Japanese got into it in a big way, so it's coming back with the anime.

I'll second a Horror/Supernatural/"The truth is out there" book.

I'll also second a Pirate Hero. Now imagine, Pirate Hero + Horror Hero = the adventures of Capn Jack Sparrow.

Or Pulp Hero + Horror Hero = going mad in at Arkham Asylum.

I'd also like to see something along the lines of Gurps world books. You know, like Gurps China or Gurps Japan.

Military Hero would be cool. It would expand on Dark Champions and provide detailed rules about the organizations of militaries, past, present and future. It could give real-world examples of wars, and how they could relate to adventure ideas. A sub-section would list rules for irregular warfare (spec-ops) or military intelligence.

I'd also like to see a Religion Hero (or maybe Mythic Hero). But not just for Christianity, but all religions/myths (especially the Big 6 Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Taoism and Buddhism). You could even separate it into three groups...east and west, with a third covering shamanistic/polytheistic religions like those found in Africa (Voudoun) or the native American Indian groups. If you think about it, almost all Epics are basically religious tales wrapped up and disguised in an open way. You could play Cu Chulain or Finn MacCool in Celtic tales, Beowulf in Germanic, Arjuna in Indian, Yo****sune in Japanese, Hiawatha in American Indian, or even David in Levantine tales.

Actually' date=' it would do better as an Ultimate book, explaining all the uses of COM, PRE and beauty-based powers.[/quote']I think that's already been covered (however sketchily) in TUMM....