"Sleeper" Genres

BobGreenwade

Re: "Sleeper" Genres

I'd second that one' date=' with suggestions how to use these species pkgs in Fantasy, Champions, and Space campaigns, and maybe others.[/quote']

And I'll third it. Though right now you could probably do something with the various species templates in Fantasy and Space HERO.

And I'll third it. Though right now you could probably do something with the various species templates in Fantasy and Space HERO.

Yes, and I would say that Star Hero, oddly ehough, has a greater fur factor-than Fantasy Hero, despite furries being more prominent in fantasy. (of course, my definition is more along the lines of a direct animal appearance.)

Guest Admiral C

In part inspired by the discussion on "genres HERO should avoid"...

along with some positive remarks made by the prospect of Cave Hero...

Will it have Captain Caveman's stats in it? How about that goofy looking van with the cave on top? :D

Furries in Star Hero can be justified as cosmetic surgery, cybertechnology, androids as well as evolution.

In Fantasy Hero it's only evolution or magical experiment.

Catgirls (and catboys) exist in my sci-fi universe because they were created for the sex industry at a time when such constructs were not legally considered people. At the current time in the game, they are.

Catgirls (and catboys) exist in my sci-fi universe because they were created for the sex industry at a time when such constructs were not legally considered people. At the current time in the game' date=' they are.[/quote']

Catgirls (and -boys) exist in Kazei 5 'cause they perfected biological nanofactories. If you're going to make a replicated human, the cat ears as the easiest way to make them stand out in a crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

Adventure genre games set in the rennaisance, reformation, and napoleanic eras have a lot of potential. It, of course, has swashbuckling and naval potential, but it also has potential for pulpy exploration, occult or gothic horror elements, and political elements as well. It was a very different time, but one most of us can relate to on some level, and varied enough the world over to give a lot of potential.

Well, my own pet 'sleeper genre' is Renaissance Hero, specifically set in Italy around 1500. The HERO engine works well for duels, etc, and any game set then has just such a jaw-droppingly rich cast of characters. You could help Michelangelo get his marble from Carrara across bandit-infested roads, join (or try to avoid) Macchiavelli's political schemes, swap tall travel tales with Christopher Columbus and Vasco da Gama, test-fly flying machines for Leonardo da Vinci, fall dangerously for Lucretia Borgia, help topple corrupt pope Alexander VI (as in, even more corrupt than the norm), dodge the knives of the Venetian secret police, listen to the radical sermons of Savonarola, fight off the French invasion...

All the best

Mark

Adventure genre games set in the rennaisance' date=' reformation, and napoleanic eras have a lot of potential. It, of course, has swashbuckling and naval potential, but it also has potential for pulpy exploration, occult or gothic horror elements, and political elements as well. It was a very different time, but one most of us can relate to on some level, and varied enough the world over to give a lot of potential.[/quote']

I think that might work, since most people are familiar with the elements of those eras without really knowing where and when they are. My only caveat is that renaissance through napoleonic is a lot to cover--there are some pretty big differences in culture and technology from one to the other. Better, I think, to narrow the focus to the 17th-18th centuries--musketeers, pirates, and civil wars in just about every major country in Europe, leaving plenty of swash to buckle for everyone.

I think that might work' date=' since most people are familiar with the elements of those eras without really knowing where and when they are. My only caveat is that renaissance through napoleonic is a lot to cover--there are some pretty big differences in culture and technology from one to the other. Better, I think, to narrow the focus to the 17th-18th centuries--musketeers, pirates, and civil wars in just about every major country in Europe, leaving plenty of swash to buckle for everyone.[/quote']

It probably would be better to limit it to a span of 200 years or so.

I’d love to see a series of War Hero books—WWII Hero, War to End All Wars Hero, American Revolution Hero, War of the Roses Hero (this one is touched on in a few already mentioned) Napoleonic Hero, American Civil War Hero*, etc….

* Sorry, history teacher in me… America has never had a Civil War. We have had a War Between the States, or more properly a War for Confederate Independence that ultimately failed. A civil war is a war between 2 (or more) factions fighting for the control of a government, not one side trying to keep another faction from seceding… sorry ranting…:rolleyes:;):doi:

I’d love to see a series of War Hero books—WWII Hero' date=' War to End All Wars Hero, American Revolution Hero, War of the Roses Hero (this one is touched on in a few already mentioned) Napoleonic Hero, American Civil War Hero*, etc….[/quote']Just a War Hero genre book would be great IMO, covering everything from Israel vs Philistia to the invasion of Iraq (though emphasizing WWII because that's what most of the genre material is about).

"Sleeper" Genres

Gothic Hero

The possible time period covered is immense, from the epic Gothic migrations from their legendary homeland to the fall of the last Gothic kingdom about a thousand years later.

Meet Huns, Romans, Vandals, and other peoples of late antiquity, as enemies or allies, rulers or subjects. Learn the techniques and tactics of mounted warfare as a vassal of Atilla, then turn those same lessons against Atilla's heirs to win your tribe's freedom. Be with the horde that sacked Byzantium, or march with Alaric's army of 30,000 in the conquest of Rome itself!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary points out you can be an Ostrogoth or a Visigoth. Lucius thinks you should be able to play an Invisigoth, but the palindromedary just can't see that.