HALO Hero?

CorPse

Re: HALO Hero?

Needler: (Total: 42 Active Cost' date=' 15 Real Cost) [i']Needler:[/i] RKA 1/2d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Semi-Armor Piercing (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2), Autofire (2 shots; +1 1/4) (32 Active Points); Independent (-2), 64 Boostable Charges which Never Recover (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Extra Phase, -3/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Semi Self Guiding: +2 with Ranged Combat (Real Cost: 10) [64 bc]

Cool, any other prototypes for the Needler?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needler

RKA 2d6 (+2 OCV (Seeking Projectiles)), Delayed Effect (delayed phase) (+1/4), Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (80 Active Points); OAF (-1), 2 clips of 8 Charges (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

I'd call it not autofire, with the SFX being that the # of Body Rolled = the number of needles that hit you. "Keep it simple, stupid" and all ;)

Just finished Halo - is Halo 2 out for the PC?

BTW, I think the Warthog should have desolidification vs BODY damage :)

I don't know. I played both on the XBox. You can beat the crap out of a Warthog pretty quickly in pvp.

I wondered if you were building to what you saw in just Halo or HaloII, too.

No, I'm talking about the full-auto rifle that you start with in the first game. It works all right as long as you're just killing grunts, but for anything else, it's about useless. The huge ammo count looks impressive, until you discover that it takes a full 60-round magazine at close range to kill an elite. The accuracy is nothing to write home about with the first shot, and it gets markedly worse if you hold the trigger down.

Every OTHER weapon in the game has its good points and bad points; reasons why you might want to use it at some times, but not at others. The only reason to use the assault rifle is if you don't have anything else.

It's especially bad when you compare it to the original Half-Life, in which the MP5 with underbarrel grenade launcher was the best general-purpose weapon for most of the game.

I'm gonna start ranting incoherently in a minute, so I'll just note that from what I've heard, the "battle rifle" from Halo 2 is a great improvement.

Zeropoint

No' date=' I'm talking about the full-auto rifle that you start with in the first game. It works all right as long as you're just killing grunts, but for anything else, it's about useless. The huge ammo count [i']looks[/i] impressive, until you discover that it takes a full 60-round magazine at close range to kill an elite. The accuracy is nothing to write home about with the first shot, and it gets markedly worse if you hold the trigger down.

Every OTHER weapon in the game has its good points and bad points; reasons why you might want to use it at some times, but not at others. The only reason to use the assault rifle is if you don't have anything else.

It's especially bad when you compare it to the original Half-Life, in which the MP5 with underbarrel grenade launcher was the best general-purpose weapon for most of the game.

I'm gonna start ranting incoherently in a minute, so I'll just note that from what I've heard, the "battle rifle" from Halo 2 is a great improvement.

Zeropoint

Ah! The SMG in Halo 2 works pretty nice when dual-weilded. It does have that nasty recoil affect, but if you start with it in the chest area, it will rise up for nearly auto-headshots in pvp.

In pve, it does suck. You're right about that.

Both the Assault Rifle (Halo) and the Battle Rifle (Halo 2) work really well in tandem with the plasma pistol. Knock your opponent's shields down with a plasma pistol burst, and then finish them off with the rifle.

It takes a little coordination, but after awhile you learn to switch before the plasma blast even gets there. Pretty deadly in pve and pvp. Not that I ever play...

CorPse

I've played & beaten both games, multiple times. I've even read some of the books. I'm a bit of a junkie. That said.

There are six current alien types:

Grunts (scrubs who carry varying weaponry).

Jackals (assassins with shields and Energy Pistols).

Elites - people in Power Armor like yours, with recovering shields, energy blades & plasma rifles.

Hunters - those lumbering gits with the Ablatative Armor. I say Ablative to represent their soft spots, which you can hit if you're lucky or very, very good. I prefer to be good.

Buggers - Flying types who carry light weapons and have Clinging.

Brutes: They're larger & stronger; sort of a soft-skinned version of the Hunter. More powerful than an Elite, preferring close-combat.

The Flood (covered well earlier).

Very little is known about this Covenant weapon other than that it is a magazine fed weapon capable of automatic fire and target tracking.

Its projectiles penetrate soft targets no matter what the angle of impact. They ricochet off of hard surfaces at oblique angles, however, and are always deflected by energy fields, the only exceptions to this being the shields generated by the MJOLNIR battle suit and the Elite's shields. The composition and energy signature of its projectile is unknown. The manner in which the projectiles home in on their target is also unknown. It is likely that the Covenant themselves do not even know the specifics of the weapon's function, as they seem to have obtained it by modifying the Enforcer's Needler-like cannon. It may be, however, an unknown explosive crystals in which are of origin in some Covenant planet.

The Needler: RKA 1/2d6, Cumulative (+1 1/4, up to 48 total points) (20 Charges (glass clip) (+1/4), One Hex (Accurate, +1/2). Autofire (7 shots, +3/4), Explosion (+1/4, loses effectiveness 1" faster than normal) 40 Active Points. OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Limited Range (-1/4, limited to 1/2 maximum range), Only Sticks to Real Surfaces (-1/2). (total cost: 10 Points) plus 1/2d6 RKA, Autofire 7 (+3/4), Penetrating (+1/2), (23 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (-1/2), Limited Range (-1/2), Reflected by Energy Shields (Does not include MJOLNIR or Elite armor, -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (total cost: 6 Points) Total cost: 16 Points.

A weapon truly unique to human thinking, the Covenant Needler is a built using technology outside of the bounds of human science. Once the Needler locks onto a target, its needles will veer towards that target with great accuracy, clinging to it until they've built up sufficient mass to detonate, doing critical damage to the target and anything standing too close.

I'm intentionally breaking the rules with this weapon, because of how the Needler is meant to work; I was tempted actually to build it as a one-pip RKA with cumulative, and the final damage be Explosive but I couldn't swing that properly without building a whole new set of rules for how to gauge the explosive damage based on the Needles you've been hit with.

Edited 03/06 @ 7:26a - This version actually includes the physical damage of the weapon, hence the 1 pip RKA. It doesn't really hurt anyone by itself, Master Chief's shields barely flicker. It's when you get a family of them that you're done. The big thing I actively broke is the Cumulative effect, which you can't do on an RKA. However, the weapon is only truly potent if you dump a clip of needles into somebody and they explode in a big purple smoke burst.

Cumulative: Every phase in which the user fires the weapon at the same target, the effect builds. The needles automatically detonate at their full cumulative effect if either a) they reach maximum load of 48 points or B) the user stops firing/changes targets, in which case they explode on the target's next phase following the user's phase in which he stopped firing.

Bit I can't figure out: Since I've made an RKA cumulative (which is a no-no) I'm assuming that the damage isn't done until the whole thing is stacked, because it's cumulative. So you aren't getting your defense against each individual needle as it hits you, that's what the 1 pip of RKA is for, if you want the damage. The build I did is for the actual explosive effect.

Edit: I moved the Autofire from 5 to 7, which feels right for that weapon. I custom limited the explosion because while it CAN be flashy, it usually isn't - so getting a double-range reduction and thus being a lesser advantage makes sense. With each needle doing approximately 2 killing, if you dump a clip in someone you should do around 40 killing which then goes kablooie. The custom limitation "Only Sticks to Real Surfaces (-1/2)" represents the inability of a Needle to adhere to any sort of independent energy field (as the Jackals carry).

I knocked down the range, because in-game they have spit for range, to be honest. So if you do it right, and you can keep a line of sight on your target and nail them with 5 or 10 rounds of this thing, it'll build up to a 10 or 20 point Explosion, which is respectable. At its most powerful, 48 Killing, it should be able to wipe out almost anything in a single blow, but you won't get that effect very often.

If you like I can post builds for the other HALO weapons; I'm extremely familiar with them. Let me know what you think of the Needler design, and by all means tell me if I broke something I shouldn't have. ;)

Edit: I did this in the middle of the night. I've updated the math and added a Linked 1 pip RKA to the final build this morning. My math may be totally off now as I did it in my head, but it should be close. I hope. Thanks & Rep to Greywind for remdining what the $! Brutes are called. ~DEM

I developed a very simple, easy, and reliable way to kill the hunters.

1) Have the shotgun.

2) Charge madly toward the hunter, yelling at the top of your lungs (yelling optional)

3) When you get close to hand-to-hand range, watch for them to wind up to swing their shield at you.

4) BACKPEDAL!

5) Put a load of buckshot into that unarmored spot on their stomach that they just uncovered.

6) Look down at the corpse and wonder why they have armor everywhere EXCEPT location 13

I developed a very simple, easy, and reliable way to kill the hunters.

1) Have the shotgun.

2) Charge madly toward the hunter, yelling at the top of your lungs (yelling optional)

3) When you get close to hand-to-hand range, watch for them to wind up to swing their shield at you.

4) BACKPEDAL!

5) Put a load of buckshot into that unarmored spot on their stomach that they just uncovered.

6) Look down at the corpse and wonder why they have armor everywhere EXCEPT location 13

It is even easier. Pistol, scope - zoom in, wait for the orange spot on their back to show and pull trigger just one time. Works just as well to let them wind up for a charge, sidestep behind them and plug them just once.

They usually die to me long before they even know I'm there.

It's a risk/reward thing. The armor they wear is Absolute - it's impenetrable. Unless you have a mounted weapon, in which case you can gun them down directly. My weapons of choice are rather odd, really:

Human Pistol (HALO). A small weapon that has more punch than is reasonable. While it takes a few shots (about 5) to peel off shielding, one shot to the skull kills your target. With the scope, the weapon is amazingly versatile. Also, highly accurate. Good for multiplayer as well.

Human Rifle (HALO). Yeah, I know. 60 rounds and you've got nothin. Not quite. HALO introduces the B button on your Xbox controller. Fill 'em with a 1/3rd to a half a clip and smack 'em in the mouth. No, not always the most elegant solution, but shockingly effective for some reason. Also, the Human Rifle is good for dealing with the bulk of your un-shielded targets. For shielded targets, you need the Pistol/Pistol combo.

Covenant Pistol: Charge up and dissipate your opponent's shields.

Human Pistol: Shoot them in the skull. This tandem also works in HALO 2, where evidently the Human Pistol is a skull seeking missile. Don't ask, I don't get it either.

My HALO 2 arsenal is grossly different:

Battle Rifle (HALO 2 Single Player) - It's the new pistol. Less ammo overall, and it has a three shot burst. But it's almost the same weapon with tweaked mechanics for balance purposes.

Energy Sword (HALO 2 Single Player) - ... do I have to explain this?

Twin Skorpions (HALO 2, Single/Multi) - Highly underrated, this tandem really works if you're a close-range combatant and willing to dog-fight someone for position. Then you can really tear into them. Otherwise, pass. It's a downgrade from the original Human Rifle (HALO) in every conceivable way, except maybe ROF.

Human Pistol (HALO 2) - When I can get it, it's great. But you don't get it very often and it's heavily nerfed.

Curufea: If you want to fly to the US, I'd be happy to play co-op HALO with you any ole time. :D