HALO Hero?

CorPse

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: HALO Hero?

If we're talking about great FPS's that's a whole different subject.

1. Half-Life

2. Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight.

3. System Shock 2

4. HALO

5. Deus Ex

Three of those are FPS/RPG hybrids, but honestly that's how I get down anyway. I can't list a pure RPG like Morrowind or the rest of the Arena series, but that list is pretty comprehensive of the games I still have strong memories of playing. Many of the rest are forgotten. Even if they provided some sort of ground-breaking experience at the time, they don't hold up in the long run.

The Covenant Plasma Sword, or Energy Sword, was thought at first to be purely ceremonial. They are rarely seen in combat, but are invariably carried by high-ranking Elites. In Halo: Combat Evolved, they are first encountered in Truth and Reconciliation, first wielded by a Infiltrator Elite, then by Gold Elites, while in Halo 2, they are optionally used by SpecOps Elites in the first three levels, otherwise the first level in which they will always appear is The Arbiter.

Though its true functionality is unknown, it seems that the sword's plasma energy is held into a blade-like form with small magnetic field generators built into the handle mechanism. This seems to be a smaller version of the Covenant's capital ship plasma weapon technology which uses massive generators to stabilize, contain, and guide the plasma without interfering with the plasma's effects. If the wielder drops the weapon, a fail-safe activates and deactivates the magnetic field without first dispensing the plasma consuming the handle thus destroying the weapon.

Recent discoveries show that the fail-safe is not always activated, thus Spartans are able to wield the Energy Sword in Halo 2. It also has a new look. Both the "new" and the "old" Energy Swords show through Active Camouflage.

It has a charge of 100 battery units in singleplayer. Varying amounts of energy are taken up by the various means of killing a foe, however normal swipes that merely harm the foe do not consume power. Therefore it may be prudent to hurt a foe until he nears death and finish off with a weapon that has more readily-available ammunition. Around 10 energy is taken by killing a normal opponent, however only 3 energy is used when killing Flood with it.

In multiplayer, there is no limit on the amount of energy the Energy Sword can use before running out. However, like all other "power" weapons, there is always only one Energy Sword on the map in all standard gametypes.

The Energy Sword is one of the very few weapons that can dismember the bodies of dead Combat Forms, preventing their revival by Infection Forms. Doing this, however, will still take up energy.

Although very powerful, the Energy Sword has been proven through various tests to be completely useless against Hunters, even when slashing at the weakspot.

All Zealots (gold Elites) carry an Energy Sword, and White Elites will pull one out if you get close enough. It will only drop the Sword if it has pulled it out; not if you killed it while it is still using its ranged weapon. The sword is extremely powerful and, seen in action in a cutscene during the Halo 2 level The Oracle, the Arbiter slices through extremely thick metal in order to destroy the wires suspending a Gas Mine used as a base by the Heretics. He does this to force the Heretic Leader to come out from his hidey-hole and face him in combat (a fight which the Arbiter eventually wins).

Covenant Energy Sword: Multi-Power, 75 Point Reserve, 24 Charges (+1/4) (94 Active Points), All Slots OAF (-1), Restricted Recovery (Weapon can only Recover Charges at a Covenant Facility or from a Covenant compatible power source; -1/4), (42 points)

2u) HA 6d6+1, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2) (70 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR minimum (8, -1), No Knockback (-1/4), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (total cost: 19 points)

2u) HKA 3d6+1, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR minimum (8, -1), Extra Charges (Requires Two Charges to Maximize Effectiveness; -1/4). (total cost: 23 points)

Total cost: 46 points

I'm bringing down the baseline on all weaponry to bring it closer to how HERO works things. This will make combat slightly less lethal without making my vehicles insane.

This build assumes HALO 2 mechanics. In the original version, the Covenant Energy Sword would slice through just about anyone - including Master Chief - in a single shot. Even if you had defenses, there was still a chance that your shields would get cut down, and for that I included Penetrating for the 'normal' weapon mode to demonstrate its extreme effectiveness in close combat. Even if defended, it gets your attention. You should always deal around 9 STUN when swinging it, and preferably 9 BODY as well.

In HALO 2, however, there's a "blade rush" manuever in which you can 'lock-on' with the weapon; to simulate this I added 'Extra Charges' as the battery depletes faster when using the Rush than it does normally, and flipped it to a Killing Attack. Per the rules Armor Piercing was applied to each individual slot, not to the Multipower as a whole.

In Campaign Mode the weapon also depletes; they've often said that we (humans) cannot recharge a Covenant Energy Weapon, so I've put Charges on it (24, which is significant) to represent that it isn't an unlimited resource. I originally went with an END Reserve, but it was unnecessarily complicated to build it onto the weapon and then have the limitation "Extra END" on the KA. Charges feel less organic but were much simpler.

Enjoy. I think I'll do the SPNKR next.

Commonly called the "Jackhammer," or "Spanker," (due to the SPNKr rockets it fires) by the Marines, the M19 SSM (Surface-to-Surface Missile) is a man-portable and shoulder-fired rocket launcher. It has two major components, the launcher and the magazine. The magazine (the expendable part of the system) contains two 102mm shaped-charge, high-explosive rockets. It is designed for fast, easy detachment from the launcher. The launcher contains the sighting and fire control systems. The launcher is issued with a small 2X smart-linked scope for sighting medium-range targets.

In Halo 2 The Rocket Launcher was given a homing feature. If you are targeting an enemy vehicle and your reticule is red, you can hold "R" to lock on. Once the trigger is depressed and held, a second crosshair will appear. Match it with the first crosshair, then release the trigger to fire a homing rocket. While the lock-on feature only works when targeting vehicles, the rocket has been known to home in on the pilot if he bails out after the rocket is fired.

NOTE: The M19 SSM is a very deadly weapon, and has a high-blast radius. Be sure that you are not too close to your target when you fire this weapon.

47 M19 SSM: 5d6 RKA+1, Resistant Piercing (10), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Explosive (+1/2) Extra STUN (+1/4), (248 Active Points); Charges (4 clips of 2 rockets each, -1), STR Mimimum (15, STR Minimum Does Not Add Damage -1 1/4), OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Increased Reloading Time (2 Full Phases, -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4).

8 Targeting Scope: +2 OCV (10 Active Points), Only to Counter Range Modifiers (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (5 points) PLUS Scope +2 PER rolls (6 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Linked (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (3 points)

11 Magnetic Signature Lock-on: +4 OCV (20 Active Points); Only vs. Vehicles (-1/2), Only When Locked-On (Full Phase to Lock-On to use CSLs, -1/4)

Final Cost: 66 points.

Talk about works in progress.

I've added Resistant Piercing to this, if I could rep Amadan I would - this is the exact rule I've been needing to properly model anti-vehicle weapons.

I'll be modifying other entries now as appropriate, to take advantage of this rule where appropriate.

Current damage is 5d6+1 vs. a Tank, which has def 20 I think. That becomes 10 and average damage is 6 BODY, which is assuming no one is adding DC levels via CSLs, something I'd forgotten, which changes things somewhat. It isn't a pure scale, because people can improve the weapon through skill, a rule which I need to bear in mind while designing all this stuff. :bmk:

Covenant Energy Sword: Multi-Power, 90 Point Reserve, 24 Charges (+1/4) (113 Active Points), All Slots OAF (-1), No STR Bonus (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Restricted Recovery (Weapon can only Recover Charges at a Covenant Facility or from a Covenant compatible power source; -1/4), (38 points)

In HALO 2, however, there's a "blade rush" manuever in which you can 'lock-on' with the weapon; to simulate this I added 'Extra Charges' as the battery depletes faster when using the Rush than it does normally, and flipped it to a Killing Attack.

Very nice... do you think the rush or lunge has something to with the sword itself? Master Chief doesn't seem to make this move at any other time. Have you thought about adding a little extra running to simulate this, or possibly stretching with some limitations?

SPNKR-2 8d6 RKA' date=' Area of Effect One Hex (Doubled, Accurate +3/4), Explosive (+1/2) (270 Active Points); Charges (4 clips of 2 rockets each, -1), STR Minimum (15, STR Minimum Does Not Add Damage -1 1/4), OAF (-1), Increased Reloading Time (1 Turn, -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4). Total cost: 41 points.[/quote']

What do you make, if anything, of the SPNKR's ability to lock-on to targets in H2? Some sort of extra OCV with a phase delay?

Very nice... do you think the rush or lunge has something to with the sword itself? Master Chief doesn't seem to make this move at any other time. Have you thought about adding a little extra running to simulate this' date=' or possibly stretching with some limitations?[/quote']

I'm certain that it does - I did seriously consider giving it Stretching, but it's more of a 'pulling' effect from the weapon, which would be Stretching, User lands in Adjacent Hex to Target. However, the reason I ruled it down is because the nature of the attack seemed to be more a stylistic manuever than any sort of magical pulling effect from the weapon.

Because it's already doing absurd amounts of damage, I didn't want to build an effect that could possibly unbalance it - such as being able to instantly travel 3" in order to spear some poor slob with it. However, if you're curious, I'd be more than happy to add that in as a 3rd Slot on the Multipower. I'd rather (personally) not muss with the HA/HKA blend on it now because that's fairly close to canon. A 3rd power, however, where the weapon is doing the pulling/traveling, wouldn't be unreasonable.

What do you make' date=' if anything, of the SPNKR's ability to lock-on to targets in H2? Some sort of extra OCV with a phase delay?[/quote']

Edit: I've gone ahead and adjusted my build on this. First, because my grasp of the mechanics behind AOE and Explosion were a bit muddled; I got almost the exact same effect with just Explosion, and had room left over for Armor Piercing, and since the point of the weapon is to drop vehicles, I'm leaving it on the vehicle to have hardness.

Like your first question, this is something I thought about for a while. There were a couple of ways to handle it. First was simply to make the whole mess One Hex Accurate, which solves -most- of my "How accurate is this?" problems. It's the same mechanic I used to simulate the Needler (see above, I think it's on page 3). Instead of stacking a bunch of d20esque "+1s" to hit, I said "Meh - One Hex Accurate, DCV 3" to simulate its ability to tag things with reasonable accuracy.

Again, I've made an adjustment and if anyone has a good way of doing a to hit bonus outside of the usual adjustments for locking on, I'd be happy to include them. Truth is, I have no clue how to handle it.

Gotta bounce before finishing my post. I'll get back to you on this.

Very nice... do you think the rush or lunge has something to with the sword itself? Master Chief doesn't seem to make this move at any other time. Have you thought about adding a little extra running to simulate this' date=' or possibly stretching with some limitations?[/quote']

Actually, with several of the guns in Halo 2 if you time a melee attack right you'll lunge.

A variant of the standard SRS99C' date=' this UNSC rifle is a gas-operated magazine-fed weapon. It is issued with a smart-linked scope with varying levels of magnification. A low-light amplification device may be attached and activated on the scope for sight in badly-lit areas. In Halo 1 you may activate night vision when zoomed in with the sniper rifle. It fires 14.5x114mm armor-piercing fin-stabilized discarding-sabot rounds. Night vision has been removed in Halo 2.[/quote']

30 UNSC SRS99C Sniper Rifle: 3d6 1/2 RKA, Resistant Piercing (5), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (x5, +1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2) (157 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), STR Minimum (12, STR does not add to damage -1), Charges (4 Clips of 4 rounds each, -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Visible Power Effect (Trackable vapor trail, -1/4), Resistant Piercing does not affect vehicles (Size class 3 & larger, -1/2)

18 Magnifying Scope +4 OCV (20 Active Points) plus Nightvision (5 Active Points); Linked (-1/4), OIF (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (13 points); PLUS +4 PER Rolls (12 Active Points); Linked (Only works with scope, -1/4) OIF (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), (6 points).

18 Deadly Accurate:, 14- (Find Weakness, Resistant Defenses), Only vs. Humanoid Targets (-1/2), Linked (Only works with Sniper Rifle, -1/2).

Final cost: 66 points.

The original version of this rifle is built with an AOE Line effect - anyone in the way gets tagged for the same amount of damage, which is great, but they nerfed/fixed this (depending on your POV) in H2. I didn't feel it was necessary to include it with this build, but if enough people clamor for it, I'd be happy to include it. My sci-fi campaign has a close-range weapon which is built on that SFX, the HAC Cannon. A rail-gun built for mutants. But that's another story for another time.

Edit: I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. I've added Find Weakness to the rifle on a 14-, representing its lethal accuracy and ability to deal damage to an otherwise armored target. Also, with the limitation "Only vs. humanoids" it keeps it from penetrating vehicle armor more than on a very rare, high roll.

Sunday night. And I'm going to bed. I'm going to try and build a weapon a day (at least) and then, once I've done the arsenal, I'm going to go ahead and draft basics for each race, and try and put together something to represent each armor. I am NOT going to do a draft of Master Chief himself (John SPARTAN, ironically) not because it's been done, but because I'm going to focus more on building the MJOLNIR armor directly, and let the players play SPARTANs. However, if you want Master Chief, I can build him. He'll be absurd, fair warning.

So I've done the Needler, SPNKR-2, Sniper Rifle and Covenant Energy Sword.

Tomorrow (Monday) I'm going to definately get the Autorifle down on the system (HALO) and I may get wild and build the Skorpion autopistol. I'm going to try and keep the rifle as close to canon as possible. I'm curious to know how y'all are going to handle ammo count. Do you give people the clips it has when it's issued? Do you charge your PCs to be issued the weapon? Really goes against the flavor of HALO in general.

My argument would be, because despite the fact that a SPARTAN is a super-hero you should have a basic heroic design, that you issue the weapons cold, or at a facility where they can get full ammo load out (per the specs) and then let them drop, add, release gear as necessary in the field.

So tomorrow: Autorifle & (maybe) Skorpions.

This weapon can utilize varying types of ammunition, including "shredder" rounds (for lightly-armored infantry), and armor-piercing HE rounds (for moderately, and heavily armored infantry). This weapons also includes a built-in flashlight for low-light situations. Slightly modified versions of the MA5B's barrel can be made to support a silencer for covert missions where both power, and discretion is required.

The MA5B Rifle is the latest model of the MA series. The MA3, and MA2Bs were the standard rifles in 2525, but the newest model, the MA5B, is the current standard Marine rifle, and is one of the most versitile weapons in the Marine's arsenal.

19 MA5B Assault Rifle 1d6+1/2 RKA, Autofire 10 (+1), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Charges (60 rnds w/10 clips, +1) (88 Active Points); OAF (Two Handed Weapon, -1 1/2), STR Minimum (12, STR Does Not Add Damage, -1), Limited Range (1/2 Maximum Range, -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4).

23 MA5B APEX Ammunition: RKA 2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Explosive (+1/2), Autofire 10 (+1), Charges (60 rnds w/10 clips, +1), (Active Cost: 120 points.); Burnout 11- (-3/4), OAF (Two Handed Weapon, -1 1/2), STR Minimum (12, STR Does Not Add Damage, -1), Limited Range (1/2 Maximum Range, -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4).

31 Flashlight Attachment: Sight Group Images, +4 to PER Rolls (22 Active Points); OAF (Integrated Flashlight with MA5B, not removable, -1 1/2), Only to Create Light (-1), No Range (-1/2) (total cost: 8 points) plus Integrated Battery: End Reserve, (30 END, 5 REC); OIF (-1/2) (total cost: 23)

This variant of the M6 pistol series is a recoil-operated, magazine-fed handgun. It is issued with a smart-linked scope capable of 2X magnification. It fires 12.7x40mm semi-armor-piercing, high explosive rounds. It can shoot either semi-automatic or automatic fire. This powerful weapon can utilize multiple types of ammo including armor-peneration rounds, and explosive-tipped rounds.

Shot placement is very important. The only shot that guarantees immediate and total incapacitation is one roughly centered in the head, above a horizontal line passing through the ear opening and below the crown of the alien skull.

16 MD6 HE: 1d6 1/2 RKA, Resistant Piercing (2), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Charges 12 (6 clips, +1/4) (54 Active Points); STR Minimum (10, Does not add damage, -1), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

8 Targeting Scope: +2 OCV (10 Active Points), Only to Counter Range Modifiers (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (5 points) PLUS Scope +2 PER rolls (6 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Linked (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (3 points)

Total cost: 24 points

This weapon was modified to bring it in line with what it does - blow through some of your armor. It's using RP 2/AP rounds, which is effectively APDS ammunition (Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot). This is how I always wanted this weapon to work, so I'm finally content with it.

Again, apologies for the no-frills approach, but I wanted to get this down. If anyone knows whether or not I built the additional OCV correctly, please let me know. :D I have no clue if I did that right, and I haven't checked my Fantasy HERO to see how those weapons are built on that structure, but I'm fairly certain it's "plus 5pt CSL" manifesting as an OCV bonus, only vs. Range Penalties (-1/2). I think.

Edit: I went back and added the Halopedia entry for this weapon, bringing it close to how I'm doing the other entries.

I was going to say something, but my dislike of that weapon goes far beyond any rational boundaries, so I won't, because whatever I said would come out as insane ranting.

Do, however, allow me to reiterate that I really, really, don't like the assault rifle.

Y'all are some cranky gits, yeah?

Answer to question one: I know from personal experience that most people can't use the assault rifle because they're trying to empty a clip at medium range. HEROs mechanics for autofire take care of that just fine; you focus more on firing bursts, and you're good to go. Also, I'm making all human weapons AP, so even the one you hate - the assault rifle - is worth carrying around.

Second, I'm aware that Zeropoint has a bizarre, passionate hatred for a weapon I find extremely useful - and I'm okay with that. The answer to your question is that the weapons ammo is in fact, AP. I plan on building the armor with more Damage Reduction than actual defenses, otherwise no one would ever actually get hurt.

If I build MJOLNIR armor with anything over 5 rPD/5 rED, Master Chief will never actually get hurt by anything other than a grenade or a Rocket Launcher. So the key in this case is going to be a self-replenshing force field on a delay with its own END reserve, and the armor with DR on it. That way, even if you hate the MA5B, it still retains some value.

Second. Second. I built the weapon with ZPs request in mind - giving it reduced pen isn't the answer, though, it was simply knocking down its range and letting people hold down the trigger. You CAN headshot a grunt with the Assault Rifle. It just ain't easy.

A stripped-down version of the M6D Pistol equipped by the crew of the Pillar of Autumn during their battle with the Covenant on Installation 04' date=' the Magnum does not have a scope, nor are its bullets explosive - and it therefore lacks the very features that made its counterpart so deceptively deadly in Halo: Combat Evolved.[/quote']

7 MD6 Magnum: 1d6+1 RKA, Charges (12, 6 clips, +1/4) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Min 10 (STR does not add damage, -1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

Tragically, this is exactly what it looks like. The original pistol was a force to be reckoned with, back before dual-wielding was king. I can't even justify giving this one AP rounds - it just doesn't dish out significant damage to anything, and it's woefully inaccurate. Bleh.

The M90 shotgun is a pump-action magazine-fed (dual tubular non-detachable type) weapon. It fires 8 gauge magnum (3.5") rounds. This weapon is very effective against targets at close range and may be used to engage several targets simultaneously at medium and long range. In both games, the Shotgun does instant-kill damage from point-blank range, except against Brutes in Halo 2

A weapon that has barely changed since it was first conceived, the Shotgun is a close-range firearm that can stop any creature, Human, Flood or Covenant in its tracks. Deadly at short distances, it is a weapon that even Elites should fear: it can overload some shields in a single shot. With it, you can make aggressive charges towards foes, punching through flesh and armor before they have the opportunity to return fire. It can also be, in turn, a great means of defense. When pinned down under cover - or having ducked behind a corner to allow the Master Chief's shields time to recharge - any Covenant soldier with the tenacity to rush your position should meet with a venomous rebuke from your M90. The range of the Shotgun has been greatly diminished for Halo 2.

Alas, due to the high spread of its projectiles, the Shotgun is practically useless over medium and long distances. It should always be complemented by a secondary weapon that addresses this most salient of weaknesses. Additionally, the M90 is reloaded one cartridge at a time. During furious combat exchanges, it will feel as if you could grow a beard in the time it takes to load it up - and that's just for female Halo 2 players. Every opportunity that you get, hide and perform a manual reload. Note that you can interrupt the process of loading the Shotgun by firing or melee attacking at any time. You can then, as you might expect, use the remaining cartridges.

M90 Shotgun (HALO 1 & 2):

19 Buckshot Rounds: 4d6 RKA, Area of Effect One Hex (+1/2) (90 Active Points); 12 Charges on 6 Bandoliers (Not clip-fed, single shot as an additional -1/4 limitation; +0); OAF Two-Handed Weapon (-1 1/2), STR Minimum (13 STR, Does Not Add to Damage, -1), Increased Reloading Time (Each shell requires 1/2 Phase; -1/4), Limited Range (30"; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Reduced Penetration (-1/4), Reduced by Range (-1/4)

16 Solid Slugs: 3d6 RKA, Penetrating (+1/2) (68 Active Points); 12 Charges on 6 Bandoliers (Not clip-fed, single shot as an additional -1/4 limitation; +0); OAF Two-Handed Weapon (-1 1/2), STR Minimum (13 STR, Does Not Add to Damage, -1), Increased Reloading Time (Each shell requires 1/2 Phase; -1/4), Limited Range (90"; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

Designed to replace the MA5B Assault Rifle from the original game, it has also been heralded as the "New Pistol". And it lives up to its namesake. With reasonable power, decent rate of fire and high accuracy, it has proven itself to be one of the most versatile weapons in the UNSC arsenal. With a 2x zoom scope, it can be used to deliver three-shot-bursts accurately from medium-to-long range. At close range, simply center the target in your sights and pull the trigger.

In single player campaign, is the second-most common Human weapon encountered. Useful against just about any infantry units (save for perhaps the Spec-Ops Elites). In multiplay, appears often in two or more spots on just about every map. Three bursts bring down standard shields, while one headshot results in death if the shields are down.

21 BR55 "Battle Rifle" (HALO 2): RKA 2d6, Armor-Piercing (+1/2), Burst Fire (3 shots, +1/4), 36 Charges (4 clips, +1) (83 Active Points); OAF Two-Handed Weapon (-1 1/2), STR Minimum (12 STR, Does Not Add to Damage, -1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4).

8 Targeting Scope: +2 OCV (10 Active Points), Only to Counter Range Modifiers (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (5 points) PLUS Scope +2 PER rolls (6 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Linked (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

4 Recoil Compensator: +2 OCV (10 Active Points), Only to Counter Autofire Penalties (-1/2), OIF (Integral to BR55, -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)

Total cost: 33 points

The UNSC SMG's strength is its high rate of fire. While individual shots are not enormously damaging, its full automatic mode of fire has led to it being dubbed the "bullet hose" by players. When dual-wielded, it allows the user to drown targets in a veritable torrent of projectiles.

The SMG has a number of shortcomings. One of these is its accuracy (or the lack there of). The SMG is strictly limited in its ability to place accurate shots unless used at close range. Furthermore, full automatic fire leads to enormous recoil, forcing the SMG's muzzle steadily upward. You will need to compensate for this effect by constantly adjusting your aim. Finally, its phenomenal capacity for filling the air with lead means that its magazine can be depleted in what will seem like a heartbeat. If there's no cover available to hide behind while reloading in your current area, you may be better served by switching to another weapon.

18 M7 Caseless SMG: RKA 1d6+1, Autofire 20 (+1 1/2), Charges 60 (3 clips, +1) 70 Active Points. OAF (-1), STR Minimum (10, Does Not Add to Damage, -1), Limited Range (30", -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

This Covenant weapon is a semi-automatic directed energy weapon. The weapon has a secondary fire mode which consists of an overcharged bolt. After the over-charged bolt is launched the weapon temporarily stops functioning as it dumps waste heat. Use of the over-charge capability rapidly depletes the weapon's power core. We currently do not understand how to replace or recharge a power core.

This weapon uses a smaller version of the plasma technology used in the Covenant's main capital ships. By using a small magnetic field generator, the overcharged plasma bolt tracks and moves toward the nearest moving target in its fire arc. In Halo 2, tests have shown that when firing towards a group of enemies, the shot goes after a more "powerful" target like an Elite if there is one present, even if it is not the nearest foe. It tracks the shield of a target and not the body, this is proven by firing an overcharged bolt at an unshielded enemy and watching as it follows a straight path through the air.

Note: This weapon will deplete its energy source as you use it. It is wise to replace it as often as possible.

Covenant Plasma Pistol: Multipower, 51 Base points. Charges 50 (Restricted Recovery - Weapon can only Recover Charges at a Covenant Facility or from a Covenant compatible power source; +1/4) (75 Active Points); All Slots OAF (-1), STR Mininum (8, Does Not Add to Damage, -1), Limited Range (One half normal range, -1/4) (23 total points)

1u) 6d6 EB (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Mininum (8, Does Not Add to Damage, -1), No Knockback (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Limited Range (One half normal range, -1/4)

2u) Energy Shield Disruptor12d6 Dispel (As Energy Shield Disruptor, 36 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Mininum (8, Does Not Add to Damage, -1), Requires Multiple Charges (5 Charges, -1/2), Increased Reloading Time (Weapon must cool after firing a Disruption Blast, 1 Full Phase; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4). 9 points. PLUS +3 OCV (15 points); Only vs. Shielded Targets (-1/2)

Final Cost: 29 points.

Here's my problem: There's no clean way to build 'tracking' into a weapon in HERO. It's all +OCV modifiers, so it's entirely possible that I did this exactly right and it just feels weird. I'm used to d20 where I can slap an absolute on something and call it good. Anyway.

The weapon is built on 51, because that's the only way to get the full effect of the Dispel (about 42 points on average) combined with a normal EB for the weapon and add on the +3 OCV vs. Shielded Targets. The thing I can't do is build the natural tracking of the weapon so it's an "Always On" sort of thing for the tracking. You have to leave that in the hands of the PCs, or build a clunky lim to simulate it.

Because of the text, I built the alt fire as a Dispel, as that seemed the cleanest way to do it. I have yet to determine what power E-Shields are going to be, but I'm guessing in the 20-30 range, making a Dispel of 42 significant. As always, open to suggestions.

Edit: I revisited this build after actually assembling the Force Fields for the armor. The Active on those is 140 points, so I may have to handwave the thing to double-vulnerability in order to keep the pistol from being entirely over the top.

This is a Covenant directed energy weapon. It is capable of either semi-automatic or automatic fire. Continuous rapid fire overheats the weapon - this in turn depletes the weapon's power core. We currently do not understand how to replace or recharge a power core. This weapon has a heat gauge on the side, pay close attention to it to lower chances of overheating.

This weapon uses a smaller version of the plasma technology used in the Covenant's main capital ships. By using a small magnetic field generator, the plasma is forced forward after discharge in small bolts.

Covenant Plasma Rifle: 2d6 RKA, Resistant Energy Piercing (5), Autofire 5 (+1/2), Charges 50 (Restricted Recovery - Weapon can only Recover Charges at a Covenant Facility or from a Covenant compatible power source; +1/4), (79 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Mininum (11, Does Not Add to Damage, -1), Overheat (Ablative Burnout - each use of the weapon after the first, burnout on 14-, each phase the weapon is used thereafter the Burnout chance increases by one; the weapon cools one step every phase it is not in use, -1), Beam (-1/4), Increased Reloading Time (Burnout - If the weapon burns out, it requires two full phases to cool as it vents Plasma, -1/4), Reduced Penetration (Only versus physical armor, -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Limited Range (One half normal range, -1/4). Total cost: 15 points.

Edit: Added Resistant Energy Piercing 5. Because the weapon tears through energy shielding. Now, finally, it does without shoe-horns or handwaves. This now simulates its ability to tear up energy fields, but doesn't have nearly the effect against "real" armor. it will injure an unarmored target normally.

The other mechanic I can think of is making it Charges based for Overheat. Every 3 Charges per Phase increases the Overheat chance by 1, and so on. The only thing is, it's a set mechanic. Burst burst burst, burst burst burst, cool... burst burst burst, burst burst VENT. Crap, take cover. It's not on a mobile scale, like Ablative. This version of the weapon is slightly less reliable.