Creatures from Skull Island

Susano

WORLD OF KONG INTRODUCTION

The World Of Kong: A Natural History Of Skull Island is an art book filled with design and concept work from the people at Weta Workshop for Peter Jackson's film King Kong. Presented as if Skull Island really existed, the book shows dozens of animals created for the Skull Island sequences, few of which actually appeared in the final film. Each creature has a name (usually given in Latin), a translation of its name, a general size listing, and a few paragraphs of descriptive text. Material perfect for adaptation into the game system of your choice!

The character sheets presented here are my efforts to offer the denizens of Skull Island in the HERO System format. I have attempted to write-up all the major animals listed in the book, as well as some of the lesser variants and the like. As some creatures (like the giant centipedes) are all very similar in size and nature, some character sheets will cover several animals at once. Others will offer options to allow you to simulate a related animal or animals.

When building the creatures from The World Of Kong I have used the largest size listed to create the animal's character sheet, thus making it easy for Game Masters to scale a creature back to a desired size and power level if needed. I will also try and note what I used as a base to create the creature, referencing published material if needed. Also, I'll try and mention if the creature in question ever made it one screen (as far as I can tell).

I feel the creatures listed here would be perfect for Fantasy HERO campaigns, since just about every fantasy game could always use more giant lizards and the like. They also fit right in with Pulp HERO lost world adventures, which should come as no surprise, since King Kong is the perfect lost world adventure. Finally, I think many of the creatures could be pressed into service as Star HERO alien beasts, inhabiting strange interstellar environments.

Last but not least... I highly recommend The World Of Kong: A Natural History Of Skull Island and readily suggest anyone running a Pulp-era or fantasy campaign to purchase it.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Creatures from Skull Island

ARACHNO-CLAW

Arachnocidis

"Spider-Claw"

Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes
15	STR	5	12-	Lift 200 kg; 3d6 HTH Damage
15	DEX	15	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  5
15	CON	10	12-
13	BODY	6	12-
4	INT	-6	10-	PER Roll 10-
5	EGO	-10	10-	ECV:  2
18	PRE	8	13-	PRE Attack:  3 1/2d6
4	COM	-3	10-

6	PD	3		Total:  8 PD (2 rPD)
6	ED	3		Total:  8 ED (2 rED)
3	SPD	5		Phases:  4, 8, 12
6	REC	0
30	END	0
29	STUN	0		Total Characteristics Cost:  36

Movement:	Running:  6"/12"
Swimming:  0"/0"

Cost	Powers & Skills
15	Pinchers:  HKA 1d6 (2d6 with STR). END 1
7	Pinchers:  +10 STR; Only With Grab (-1/2), END 1
6	Exoskeleton:  Armor (2 PD/2 ED)
-2	Can't Swim:  Swimming -2"
6	Arthropod:  Extra Limbs, Inherent (+1/4)
4	Arthropod Senses:  +2 with Smell/Taste Group
4	Arthropod Senses:  +2 with Touch Group

Skills
5	Combat Skill Levels:  +1 with HTH

0	AK:  Skull Island Abyssal Chasms 8-
0	Analyze Animal 8-
3	Climbing 12-
5	Concealment 11-
0	PS:  Arachno-claw Abilities 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
3	Stealth 12-
0	Survival (Abyssal Chasms) 8-
56	Total Powers & Skills Cost
92	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages
0	Physical Limitation:  Human Size
20	Physical Limitation:  Instinctive Intelligence (A, G)
15	Physical Limitation:  Very Limited Manipulation (F, G)
10	Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x Effect from Sight Group Flashes (U)
120	Total Disadvantage Points

Ecology:

Arachno-claws dwell at the bottom of the abyssal chasms, where light barely penetrates. Scavengers, they tend to lurk on the edges of the chasms, feeding on carrion. While they aren't above adding fresh meat to their diet, they also aren't aggressive about getting it, either. Arachno-claws lay their eggs in carrion and corpses, where they are usually eaten by other scavengers. Those devoured by a Carnictis will hatch in the worm's intestine, feeding off of the worm's meals, until finally excreted as immature adults.

Personality/Motivation:

Typical animal motivations. Like many abyssal dwellers, Arachno-claws aren't fond of bright light.

Powers/Tactics:

Arachno-claws, like many other abyssal predators, prefer to attack from ambush, waiting silently for an unware prey item to approach. They tend to feed on the corpses and other detrius that fall in the step-walled chasm, but will quickly prey on an sick or wounded fellow scavengers.

Appearance:

An Arachno-claw resembles a four to six-foot crayfish with a distinctly spider-like cast to it. It has six legs and two arms ending in slender, but powerful, claws.

Designer's Notes:

I built the Arachno-claw using the Giant Crab found in the HERO System Bestiary as a base. The Arachno-claw appeared in the film King Kong, but only briefly (as far as I can tell). They showed up initially when our heroes fell into the chasm, but retreated once some flares were lit and stayed on the fringes of the scene.

CARNICTIS SORDICUS

"Vile Meat-Weasel"

Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes
20	STR	10	13-	Lift 400 kg; 4d6 HTH Damage
12	DEX	3	11-	OCV:  4/DCV:  4
20	CON	20	13-
13	BODY	6	12-
3	EGO	-14	10-	ECV:  1
20	PRE	10	13-	PRE Attack:  4d6
0	COM	-5	9-

8	PD	4		Total:  8 PD (1 rPD)
8	ED	4		Total:  8 ED (1 rED)
2	SPD	0		Phases:  6, 12
8	REC	0
40	END	0
33	STUN	0		Total Characteristics Cost:  35

Movement:	Running:	4"/8"
Leaping:	0"/0"
Swimming:	4"/8"

Cost	Powers & Skills
34	Bite:  HKA 1d6 (1 1/2d6 with STR), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance 
(1/2 END; +1/4), END 2
25	No Vital Spots:  Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 1/4 and Physical Damage 
Reduction, 1/4
1	Rubbery Hide:  Damage Resistance (1 PD/1 ED)
6	Heavy:  Knockback Resistance (-3")
10	No Vital Spots:  No Hit Locations
-4	Slow:  Running -2" (4" total), END 1
2	Dwells In Sludge:  Swimming +2" (4" total), END 1
35	Sense Vibrations:  Detect Physical Vibrations 11- (Touch Group), Discriminatory, 
Analyze, Range, Targeting
5	Breathes Air And Water:  Life Support (Expanded Breathing:  Breathe Oxygen)
2	Lunge:  Stretching 2"; Instant (-1/2), Extra Time (Half Phase; -1/4), Always Direct (-1/4), 
No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)

Skills
6	Combat Skill Levels:  +3 OCV with Bite

0	Analyze Animal 8-
0	Concealment 8-
0	PS:  Carnictis Abilities 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
3	Stealth 11-
125	Total Powers & Skills Cost
160	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages
25	Physical Limitation:  Blind And Deaf (A, F)
5	Physical Limitation:  Large, up to twice human size (7'-13' long) (I, S)
5	Physical Limitation:  Reduced Leap, cannot leap (I, S)
20	Susceptibility:  to cool water temperatures, 1d6 per Segment (Uncommon)
165	Total Disadvantage Points

Ecology:

Carnictis is apparently evolved from a form of intestinal parasite. It is theorized that at some point in the distant past a large predator fell into an abyssal chasm and died. The parasites living within its gut spilled out of the corpse and into the rich organic soup found at the bottom of many of the chasms. Fed by geothermal hot-springs, the sludge was the perfect environment for the parasites, who found the pickings rich as they fed on the carcasses of animals that fell into the crevices. As time went by the worms grew to great size, until they became the "vile meat-weasel" of modern Skull Island. However, their rather unique environment limits their movements, a Carnictis who escapes an abyssal chasm and swims into the cooler rivers of Skull Island will soon die, as the lower temperature water literally suckes the life from the giant worm.

Personality/Motivation:

Typical animal motivations. Carnictises are active predators and will attack nearly anything that strays into their territory.

Powers/Tactics:

A Carnictis attacks by biting with its tooth-filled maw, latching on to a potential prey items and then literally chewing it up alive. Once attached to a victim, a Carnictis can only be forced to let go by either killing it, or driving it away with open flame or the like. As they are totally blind (and deaf), Carnictis hunts purely by vibration, so anyone who stands perfectly still (no mean feat when ten feet or more of mobile intestine is writhing about) may escape their notice.

Carnictis can stretch its "neck" out for some distance, and will often use this lunge to latch itself onto its prey. They also tend to drag captured prey into the vile sludge they call home, drowning their hapless victim as they chew their way inside.

Appearance:

Carnictis has been described as a looking like an "animated stomach." They grow to be seven to thirteen feet long, with no eyes, face, or other distinguishing features (other than a ring of bristles around the head/neck). At the end of the neck is a sphincter-like mouth ringed with teeth.

Designer's Notes:

Carnictis is one of the World of Kong creatures that made it into the actual film -- it being the disgusting-looking worm-like creature that killed Lumpy the Cook (Andy Serkis). I used the Carrion Worm in Monsters, Minions, and Marauders to create some of the basic stats for Carnictis.

WETA-REX

Deinacrida rex

"Terrible Cricket-King"

Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes
5	STR	-5	10-	Lift 50 kg; 1d6 HTH Damage
16	DEX	18	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  5
14	CON	8	12-
8	BODY	-4	11-
3	EGO	-14	10-	ECV:  1
15	PRE	5	12-	PRE Attack:  3d6
4	COM	-3	10-

5	PD	4		Total:  6 PD (1 rPD)
4	ED	1		Total:  5 ED (1 rED)
3	SPD	2		Phases:  4, 8, 12
6	REC	4
28	END	0
20	STUN	5		Total Characteristics Cost:  12

Movement:	Running:	6"/12"
Leaping:	4"/8"
Swimming:	0"/0"

Cost	Powers & Skills
15	Bite:  HKA 1d6 (1d6+1 with STR), END 1
3	Exoskeleton:  Armor (1 PD/1 ED)
8	Insect Legs:  Clinging (normal STR); Can't Resist Knockback (-1/4)
3	Insect Legs:  Leaping +3" (4" forward, 2" upwards), END 1
-2	Can't Swim:  Swimming -2"
8	Insect Senses:  +4 PER with Smell/Taste Group
4	Insect Senses:  +2 PER with Hearing Group
6	Six Legs:  Extra Limbs (6 legs), Inherent (+1/4)

Skills
10	Hard To Hit:  +2 DCV

0	Analyze Animal 8-
3	Climbing 12-
5	Concealment 12-; Self Only (-1/2)
0	PS:  Weta-Rex Abilities 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
7	Stealth 14-
5	Tactics 11-
5	Teamwork 11-
80	Total Powers & Skills Cost
92	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages
5	Physical Limitation:  Small (up to 1 m long; +3" KB) (I, S)
15	Physical Limitation:  Very Limited manipulation (F, G)
115	Total Disadvantage Points

Ecology:

Distant relatives of the New Zealand Weta, the Weta-Rex is a huge form of the cricket-like creature, swarming in the hundreds in the chasms of Skull Island. Pack-hunters, they are fairly fearless and will quickly overwhelm any potential prey item, cutting it to pieces with shearing mouthparts.

Personality/Motivation:

Normal animal motivations.

Powers/Tactics:

A Weta-Rex attacks by biting. They tend to spring along, and can move quickly for their size. Capable of climbing the chasm walls with ease, they have been known to drop down on foes.

Appearance:

A Weta-Rex looks like a 3' long version of the much, much smaller Weta. They are brownish in color, with a short thorax and a large head.

Designer's Notes:

The Weta-rex's character sheet was based off of the character sheets for the Guard Dog and the Giant Wasp. They appeared in King Kong, attacking our heroes en-masse until being gunned down by concentrated Thomspon submachine gun fire. Another translation for Deinacrida is terrible grasshopper.

DECARNOCIMEX

"Flesh-Removing Bug"

[b]Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes[/b]
20	STR	10	13-	Lift 400 kg; 4d6 HTH Damage
14	DEX	12	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  5
20	CON	20	13-
15	BODY	10	12-
4	COM	-3	10-

8	PD	4		Total:  12 PD (4 rPD)
7	ED	3		Total:  11 ED (4 rED)
3	SPD	6		Phases:  4, 8, 12
8	REC	0
40	END	0
35	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  56

Movement:[/b]	Running:  5"/10"
Swimming:  0"/0"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills[/b]
15	[b]Bladed Forelimbs:[/b]  HKA 1d6+1 (2 1/2d6 with STR). END 2
7	[b]Razor-Sharp Mandibles:[/b]  HKA 1/2d6 (1d6+1 with STR), END 1
6	[b]Thick Exoskeleton:[/b]  Armor (4 PD/4 ED)
-2	[b]Slow:[/b]  Running -1" (5" total)
-2	[b]Can't Swim:[/b]  Swimming -2"
6	[b]Insect Limbs:[/b]  Extra Limbs, Inherent (+1/4)
4	[b]Insect Senses:[/b]  +2 with Smell/Taste Group
4	[b]Insect Senses:[/b]  +2 with Touch Group

[b]Skills[/b]
5	Combat Skill Levels:  +1 with HTH

0	Analyze Animal 8-
5	Concealment 11-
0	PS:  Decarnocimex Abilities 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
3	Stealth 12-
[b]51	Total Powers & Skills Cost
107	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
5	Physical Limitation:  Large, up to twice human size (10' long) (I, S)
10	Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x Effect from Sight Group Flashes (U)
[b]130	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Ecology:

These abyssal chasm dwellers feed on corpses and small animals, scavenging their meals from anything they can find. Larger and more powerful than the Arachno-claw, Decarnocimex are aggressive predators, and will readily attack anything smaller than themselves. Female Decarnocimex will cut corpses into small chunks, drag the meat to a small hole, and deposit it inside, along with a clutch of eggs, sealing the hole afterwards. The young will then hatch and subside off of the until large enough to break through the seal and venture out into the chasm proper.

Personality/Motivation:

Typical animal motivations. As with the Arachno-claw, Decarnocimex doesn't seem to care for bright light.

Powers/Tactics:

While not very fast, the Decarnocimex is powerful, and comes equipped with sharp blades on its forelimbs and razor-like mandibles. Small prey items are often caught with a mandible and then pulled to the mandibles to be devoured. Larger corpses are often torn into small, easier to digest, pieces.

Appearance:

A Decarnocimex is an immense cricket-like creature measuring anywhere from five to ten feet long. They have a heavily-plated exoskeleton, four crawling legs, and two bladed forearms. The overall coloration is greenish-brown.

Designer's Notes:

I'm not sure of the Decarnocimex appeared in King Kong or not, but I think it might have, in the background. I based Decarnocimex off of the Giant Crab found in the HERO System Bestiary.

DEPLECTOR

"Reaper"

30	STR	20	16-	Lift 1,600 kg; 6d6 HTH Damage
23	CON	26	14-
20	BODY	20	13-
8	INT	-2	11-	PER Roll 11-
4	COM	-3	10-

8	PD	2		Total:  14 PD (6 rPD)
7	ED	2		Total:  13 ED (6 rED)
3	SPD	5		Phases:  6, 12
11	REC	0
46	END	0
47	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  85

Movement:[/b]	Running:  3"/6"
Leaping:	0"/0"
Swimming:	0"/0"

30	[b]Claws:[/b]  HKA 2d6 (4d6 with STR). END 1
7	[b]Claws:[/b]  +10 STR; Only With Grab (-1/2), END 1
18	[b]Armored Shell:[/b]  Armor (6 PD/6 ED)
-6	[b]Mostly Immobile:[/b]  Running -3" (3" total), END 1
-2	[b]Can't Swim:[/b]  Swimming -2"
7	[b]Anchor Cords:[/b]  Clinging (36 STR); Extra Time (1 Minute to start; -3/4)
35	[b]Sense To Vibrations In The Air:[/b]  Detect Physical Vibrations 11- (Touch Group), 
Discriminatory, Analyze, Range, Targeting
6	[b]Crab's Legs:[/b]  Extra Limbs, Inherent (+1/4)
3	[b]Reach:[/b]  Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Always Direct (-1/4), Limited 
Body Parts (claws; -1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4)

[b]Talents[/b]
5	[b]Lunging:[/b]  Lightning Reflexes (+5 DEX with Claws)

[b]Skills[/b]
4	Combat Skill Levels:  +2 OCV with Claws

0	Analyze Animal 8-
3	Climbing 12-
3	Concealment 11-; Self Only (-1/2)
0	PS:  Deplector Abilities 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
3	Stealth 12-
[b]116	Total Powers & Skills Cost
201	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
25	Physical Limitation:  Blind (A, F)
5	Physical Limitation:  Large, up to twice human size (8' long) (I, S)
56	[b]Experience
201	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Ecology:

Enormous land crabs, Deplectors live in the crevices of caves found along the walls of the abyssal chasms. Anchoring themselves in place with thick excreted strands, they snatch birds, bats, and other small flying creatures (such as Vultursaurs) out of the air, using their long antennae to detect prey.

While female Deplectors can be as large as eight feet in length, the males are much smaller, scarcely larger than a newly hatched female. They dwell in the back of a female's cavern, fertilizing the eggs and feeding off of any scraps from the female's meals.

Personality/Motivation:

Typical animal motivations.

Powers/Tactics:

A Deplector is pure ambush predator, remaining hidden inside its cave until it detects a prey item flying past. The Deplector will then lunge forward, lashing out with the long claws and attempting to snag its desired victim right out of the air. When lunging, a Deplector uses all of its weight in the attack, counting on the excreted strands to hold it in place.

Appearance:

An immense crab-shaped animal, a Deplector has a body upwards of eight feet long with six-foot claws. The antennae can measure twelves feet in length. Female Deplectors are a dark black in color, the males much paler.

Designer's Notes:

The Deplector created using the Giant Crab found in the HERO System Bestiary. One appears in King Kong, snatching a hapless crewman off of the chasm wall as he tries to climb back out.

Yikes! I get the impression that I wouldnt want to venture into the chasms.

I quote The World Of Kong: A Natural History Of Skull Island Chapter V, "The Abyssal Chasms": "Exploring that pit was like turning over stones in Hades."

Spring Expedition, 1937

Now write-up some giant roach motels. :winkgrin:

Nice write-ups as always. :thumbup:

I'm working on the costal inhabitants right now. Mostly large lizard-like animals. I think I'll do the swamps next -- if only because they have so many fun beasts -- like Piranadon.... :eg:

PERACERDON EXITIALIS

"Deadly Very-Sharp Tooth"

15	STR	5	12-	Lift 200 kg; 3d6 HTH Damage
18	DEX	24	13-	OCV:  6/DCV:  6
15	CON	10	12-
13	BODY	6	12-
15	PRE	5	12-	PRE Attack:  3d6
6	COM	-2	11-

8	PD	5		Total:  8 PD (2 rPD)
5	ED	2		Total:  5 ED (2 rED)
6	REC	0
30	END	0
30	STUN	1		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  46

Movement:[/b]	Running:	8"/16"
Swimming:	2"/4"

Cost	Powers & Skills
16	[b]Bite:[/b]  HKA 1d6+1 (2d6+1 with STR); Reduced Penetration (-1/4), END 2
8	[b]Fore-Claws:[/b]  HKA 1/2d6 (1d6+1 with STR); Reduced Penetration (-1/4), END 1
2	[b]Scaled Skin:[/b]  Damage Resistance (2 PD/2 ED)
4	[b]Swift:[/b]  Running +2" (8" total), END 2
1	[b]Leaper:[/b]  Leaping +1" (4" forward, 2" upwards), END 1
6	[b]Vice-Like Claws:[/b]  Clinging (21 STR); Horizontal Surfaces Only (-1)
6	[b]Dinosaur Senses:[/b]  +2 PER with all Sense Groups
5	[b]Tail:[/b]  Extra Limb, Inherent (+1//4); Limited Manipulation (-1/4)

[b]Skills[/b]
10	Combat Skill Levels:  +2 with HTH

0	AK:  Skull Island Coastal Regions 8-
0	Analyze Animal 8-
0	Concealment 8-
0	PS:  Peracerdon Abilities 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
3	Stealth 13-
0	Survival 8-
[b]62	Total Powers & Skills Cost
108	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
15	Physical Limitation:  Animal Intelligence (F, G)
5	Physical Limitation:  Large, up to twice human size (12'-16' long) (I, S)
[b]110	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Ecology:

Long and lean, Peracerdon is a bipedal predator of fish, seabirds, eggs, crustaceans, and even seal pups (if it gets the chance). A theropod, Peracerdon is found all along the perimeter of Skull Island, from the rocky coasts to sedate swamps.

Personality/Motivation:

Powers/Tactics:

Powerful claws keep Peracerdon anchored in even the roughest of waves, allowing it to remain steady in pounding surf. It usually remains still, darting its head down to snatch up prey items.

Appearance:

Anywhere from 12 to 16 feet long, Peracerdon is mostly long, narrow head, and whip-like tail (used for balance). Greenish, it has red finlike projections running down its back.

Designer's Notes:

Peracerdon was based off of the Deinonychus character sheet found in the HERO System Bestiary. It didn't appear in King Kong.

TARTARUSAURUS SAEVUS

"Cruel Hell-Lizard"

35	STR	25	16-	Lift 3,200 kg; 7d6 HTH Damage
28	CON	36	15-
24	BODY	28	14-
25	PRE	15	14-	PRE Attack:  5d6
6	COM	-2	10-

12	PD	5		Total:  18 PD (6 rPD)
12	ED	6		Total:  18 ED (6 rED)
3	SPD	5		Phases:  4, 8, 12
12	REC	0
56	END	0
56	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  121

Movement[/b]:	Running:	8"/16"

25	[b]Bite:[/b]  HKA 1 1/2d6 (3d6+1 with STR), END 2
12	[b]Claws:[/b]  HKA 1d6 (2d6 with STR); Reduced Penetration (-1/4), END 1
15	[b]Thick Hide:[/b]  Armor (6 PD/6 ED)
16	[b]Heavy:[/b]  Knockback Resistance (-8")
4	[b]Long Legs:[/b]  Running +2" (8" total), END 2
12	[b]Burst Of Speed:[/b]  Running +15"; Increased Endurance Cost (x4 END; -1 1/2), END 12
3	[b]Sharp Senses:[/b]  +1 PER with all Sense Groups
5	[b]Tail:[/b]  Extra Limb, Inherent (+1//4); Liminated Manipulation (-1/4)
1	[b]Fat Reserve In Tail:[/b]  Life Support (can go without food for months); Must Have Fed 
Sufficently Before Hand (-1)

[b]Skills[/b]

0	Analyze Animal 8-
0	Concealment 8-
0	PS:  Tartarusaurus Abilities 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
0	Stealth 8-
0	Survival 8-
[b]106	Total Powers & Skills Cost
227	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
10	Physical Limitation:  Enormous (28' long) (F, S)
5	Physical Limitation:  Reduced Leap, can only leap half as far as STR indicates (I, S)
107	[b]Experience
227	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Ecology:

A huge coastal predator, Tartarusaurus is found all along the north side of Skull Island, where it preys on other coastal reptiles, Limusaurs (a form of amphibian), sea birds, seals, and carrion. Nomadic, Tartarusaurus follow the seal populations and will jealously defend whatever length of coast they have currently claimed as their own against any intruders, especially another Tartarusaurus. Males will often fight each other, balanced on the tails and hind legs, raking their opponents with heavy claws on their forelimbs.

Personality/Motivation:

Powers/Tactics:

Capable of running far faster than a man for short distances, Tartarusaurus prefers to try and creep close to a potential prey item before dashing out to attack.

Appearance:

Tartarusaurus measures anywhere from 20 to 28 feet in length, with a heavy, bulky build. Basically, lizard-like in shape, Tartarusaurus has a thick hide, reminiscent of a rhinoceros, massive jaws, and powerful limbs.

Designer's Notes:

Tartarusaurus never showed up in King Kong. As written, it makes a good proto-dragon, and in a fantasy setting could be used as a mount for Lizardmen and the like. I used the Giant Lizard and the Rhinoceros character sheets to create the character sheet.

ACIEDACTYLUS MANDOCARIS

"Sharp-Edge-Fingers Devour-Crab"

18	STR	0	13-	Lift 300 kg; 3 1/2d6 HTH Damage
16	DEX	0	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  5
18	CON	0	13-
13	BODY	0	12-
8	INT	0	11-	PER Roll 11-
5	EGO	0	10-	ECV:  2
15	PRE	0	12-	PRE Attack:  3d6
6	COM	0	11-

8	PD	0		Total:  8 PD (2 rPD)
6	ED	0		Total:  6 ED (2 rED)
3	SPD	0		Phases:  4, 8, 12
8	REC	0
36	END	0
31	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  55

Movement:[/b]	Running:	8"/16"

19	[b]Bite:[/b]  HKA 1d6 (1 1/2d6 with STR), Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), END 2
12	[b]Blade-Like Finger Claws:[/b]  HKA 1d6 (2d6 with STR); Reduced Penetration (-1/4), 
END 1
2	[b]Scaled Skin:[/b]  Damage Resistance (2 PD/2 ED)
4	[b]Heavy:[/b]  Knockback Resistance (-2")
4	[b]Long Legs:[/b]  Running +2" (8" total), END 2
1	[b]Splay Footed:[/b]  Usable As Swimming on up to 8" of Running (+1/4); Surface Only (-1), 
Only On Water-Soaked Mud/Sand (-1)
3	[b]Sharp Senses:[/b]  +1 PER with all Sense Groups
2	[b]Secondary Nostrils:[/b]  Life Support (Expanded Breathing:  Breath Underwater); Only In 
Shallow Water (see text; -2)

[b]Skills[/b]

0	Analyze Animal 8-
0	Concealment 8-
0	PS:  Aciedactylus Abilities 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
0	Stealth 8-
0	Survival 8-
[b]62	Total Powers & Skills Cost
117	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
5	Physical Limitation:  Large, up to twice human size (12'-16' long) (I, S)
7	[b]Experience Points
117	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Ecology:

Aciedactylus is found in the mangrove forests and on the edges of the brackish swamps of Skull Island. Non-aggressive (despite its great size), Aciedactylus eats mollusks and crabs, crushing them up with its thick teeth. It finds its prey by burying its nose in shallow water of mud, grubbing for food. Due to having a secondary set of nostrils mounted high on the head, Aciedactylus can can remain in this posture for extended periods.

Personality/Motivation:

Powers/Tactics:

Wide, splay feet allow Aciedactylus to move across mud and wet sand with ease, allow it to escape larger and heavier predators. If attacked, Aciedactylus will defend itself with the long blade-like claws on its fingers.

Appearance:

Aciedactylus has the typical theropod body shape, with a long neck and tail, and grows to be 12 to 15 feet long. Its feet are large for its size, while its forelimbs end in long claws. It is colored a grayish-brown.

Designer's Notes:

Aciedactylus was based off of the Deinonychus character sheet found in the HERO System Bestiary. It didn't appear in King Kong.

NEFUNDUSAURUS ACERBUS

"Troublesome Abominable Lizard"

25	STR	0	14-	Lift 800 kg; 5d6 HTH Damage
15	DEX	0	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  5
21	CON	0	13-
17	BODY	0	12-
20	PRE	10	14-	PRE Attack:  5d6
6	COM	-2	10-

10	PD	0		Total:  14 PD (4 rPD)
7	ED	0		Total:  9 ED (2 rED)
3	SPD	0		Phases:  4, 8, 12
9	REC	0
42	END	0
42	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  74

Movement:[/b]	Running:  6"/12"
Swimming:  2"/4"

20	[b]Bite:[/b]  HKA 1d6+1 (2 1/d6 with STR), END 2
15	[b]Bladed Tail:[/b]  HA +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Hand-To-Hand 
Attack (-1/2), Only With Extra Limb (-1/2)
14	[b]Bladed Tail:[/b]  HKA 1d6, Continuous (+1), Damage Shield (+1/2), Inherent (+1/4), 
Persistent (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Always On (-1/2), Activation 
Roll 8- (-2), No STR Bonus (-1/2)
15	[b]Thick Scales:[/b]  Armor (4 PD/2 ED)
12	[b]Heavy:[/b]  Knockback Resistance (-6")
3	[b]Sharp Senses:[/b]  +2 PER with all Sense Groups
5	[b]Acute Sense Of Smell:[/b]  +2 PER with Smell/Taste Group

[b]Skills[/b]

0	Analyze Animal 8-
2	Concealment 11-; Self Only (-1/2)
0	PS:  Nefundusaurus Abilities 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
3	Stealth 12-
0	Survival 8-
3	Tracking 11-
[b]107	Total Powers & Skills Cost
181	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
10	Physical Limitation:  Enormous (24' long) (F, S)
5	Physical Limitation:  Reduced Leap, can only leap half as far as STR indicates (I, S)
61	[b]Experience
181	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Ecology:

This heavy-bodied animal isn't a dinosaur, but a member of the archosaur family, a group that predates the dinosaurs. A virtual eating machine, Nefundusaurus isn't picky about its meals, and uses it excellent sense of smell to track down carrion of all sorts, although it isn't afraid to devour shellfish, turtles, seals, and anything else it can sink its teeth into -- including Skull Island's human inhabitants.

Personality/Motivation:

Powers/Tactics:

Not particularly fast for its size, Nefundusaurus prefers to take live prey from ambush. It will also simply steal food from smaller animals, using a mixture of size, strength, and intimidation to take what it wants. If attacked, Nefundusaurus will defend itself with its mouthful of sharp teeth and its tail, which is lined with several rows of blade-like projections.

Appearance:

Measuring anywhere from 16 to 24 feet in length, the lizard-like Nefundusaurus has a heavy body, a thick neck, large head, and a long tail. It is a bluish color with a white underbelly.

Designer's Notes:

Nefundusaurus was built using the Giant Lizard and Ankylosaurus character sheets from the HERO System Bestiary. It didn't appear in King Kong.

The description for the Nefundusaurus mentions it taking food from Dirusuchus, or the "Dire-Crocodile." One can create Dirusuchus simply by using the standard Crocodile character sheet in the HERO System Bestiary, adding +5 STR or so to represent its much larger size.

And here it is.... :D

PIRANHADON TITANUS

"Titanic Piranha-Tooth"

40	STR	30	17-	Lift 6.4 tons; 8d6 HTH Damage
18	DEX	24	13-	OCV:  6/DCV:  6
25	CON	30	14-
22	BODY	24	13-
25	PRE	15	14-	PRE Attack:  5d6
4	COM	-3	10-

10	PD	2		Total:  13 PD (3 rPD)
8	ED	3		Total:  11 ED (3 rED)
12	REC	-2
50	END	0
55	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  113

Movement:[/b]	Running	0"/0"
Swimming:	14"/28"

25	[b]Titanic Piranha-Teeth:[/b]  HKA 1 1/2d6 (3d6+1 with STR), END 2
9	[b]Scaled Hide:[/b]  Armor (3 PD/3 ED)
18	[b]Heavy:[/b]  Knockback Resistance -9"
-12	[b]Only Swims:[/b]  Running -6"
24	[b]Only Swims:[/b]  Swimming +12" (14" total), END 2
2	[b]Burst Of Speed:[/b]  Swimming +12" (26" total); Increased Endurance Cost (x10 END; -4), END 12
35	[b]Sensitive  Barbels:[/b]  Detect Physical Vibrations 11- (Touch Group), Discriminatory, 
Analyze, Range, Targeting

[b]Skills[/b]
4	Combat Skill Levels:  +2 OCV with Bite
4	Combat Skill Levels:  +2 OCV with Grab

0	AK:  Skull Island Swamps And Waterways 8-
0	Analyze Animal 8-
2	Concealment 11-; Self Only (-1/2)
0	PS:  Piranhadon Abilities 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
3	Stealth 13-
0	Survival 8-
[b]126	Total Powers & Skills Cost
239	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
10	Physical Limitation:  Huge (50' long) (F, S)
15	Physical Limitation:  Poor Eyesight, suffers -2 to all Sight PER Rolls (F, G)
[b]104	Experience
239	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Ecology:

An enormous fish, as big (or bigger) than some whales, Piranhadon is a river-dwelling hunter that specializes in taking its prey from the riverbanks when they come down to drink. Thus, they tend to remain in the open waterways, where they have sufficient room to move and the water is clean to breathe.

Male Piranhadon are much smaller than the females and must compete to prove their worth as mates. Young are born live in groups of around a dozen. Already five feet long at birth, a juvenile Piranhadon is already a dangerous aquatic predator, and will devour water birds, fish, amphibians, small dinosaurs, and just about anything else it can catch.

Personality/Motivation:

Powers/Tactics:

An ambush predator, Piranhadon tends to lie in wait near the river banks, using its sensitive barbels to detect the approach of potential prey, as its eyes are poor and can only see differences between light and dark. A surge of its enormous body, and it will lunge out of the water, taking its prey in its jaws, either killing it with a massive or dragging it down below the surface to drown.

Piranhadon also use their lunging ability to occasionally beach themselves on a shaded river bank. Once ashore, birds, lizards, and other scavengers will flock to the huge fish, picking it clean of innumerable parasites. They will remain there until heat, dryness, and the threat of suffocation forces them back in the water.

Appearance:

Female Piranhadon can be up to 50 feet long, with a relatively narrow, eel-like body. Males rarely grow to be longer than 20 feet in length. Coloration looks to be greenish-black above and white below. A dorsal fin runs the length of the Piranhadon's back, whole two huge pectoral fins serve to steer its bulk. Two barbels depend from the fish's lower jaw.

Designer's Notes:

Piranhadon was supposed to appear in King Kong as part of the swamp crossing sequence. That scene was cut, but should be on the DVD. I built Piranhadon by basing it off of the Giant Snake and Orca (Killer Whale) character sheets found in HERO System Bestiary.

These are great write-ups Susano. I can't wait to unleash them on my players. I've been buying up packs of Kong action figures just for the monsters. They even have one set devoted just to the chasm-dwellers. :eg: BTW, would it be possible to get the Hero Designer files for these creatures?

Thanks for all your hard work.

These are great write-ups Susano. I can't wait to unleash them on my players. I've been buying up packs of Kong action figures just for the monsters. They even have one set devoted just to the chasm-dwellers. :eg: BTW, would it be possible to get the Hero Designer files for these creatures?

Only if someone else types them in. I don't own HD.

Do you have a link to who's making these figs?

I'd like to take a look.

TB

MORTIFILLEX VENEFECUS

"Poisonous Deadly-Lure"

-20	STR	-30	5-	Lift 100 kg; 0d6 HTH Damage
14	DEX	12	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  5
5	CON	-10	10-
4	BODY	-12	10-
5	INT	-5	10-	PER Roll 10-
13	PRE	3	12-	PRE Attack:  2 1/2d6
2	COM	-4	9-

2	PD	2		Total:  2 PD (1 rPD)
2	ED	1		Total:  2 ED (1 rED)
3	SPD	6		Phases:  4, 8, 12
2	REC	0
10	END	0
10	STUN	3		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  -44

Movement:[/b]	Running:	0"/0"

8	[b]Bite:[/b]  HKA 1/2d6 (1/2d6 with STR); Reduced Penetration (-1/4), END 1
33	[b]Nerve Poison:[/b] Drain CON 2d6, delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 
Hour; +1), NND (defense is appropriate LS [immunity]; +1), Personal Immunity (+1/4); 
4 Charges (-1), HKA Must Do BODY (-1/2), Extra Time (on set time begins 1 Segment
after victim is bitten; -1/2) plus RKA 1d6, NND (defense is appropriate 
LS [immunity]; +1), Does BODY (+1), Personal Immunity (+1/4); No Range (-1/2), 
4 Charges (-1), HKA Must Do BODY (-1/2), Extra Time (on set time begins 1 Segment 
after victim is bitten; -1/2), Gradual Effect (2 Segments; 1d6/1 Segment; -1/4), 
Linked (-1/2)
7	[b]Grasping Legs:[/b]  +10 STR; Only With Grab (-1/2), END 1
1	[b]Armored Shell:[/b]  Damage Resistance (1 PD/1 ED)
-12	[b]Only Swims:[/b]  Running -6"
5	[b]Lure And Legs:[/b]  Extra Limb (multiple legs and lure), Inherent (+1/4); Limited 
Manipulation (-1/4)

[b]Skills[/b]
2	Combat Skill Levels:  +1 OCV with Bite
2	Combat Skill Levels:  +1 OCV with Grab

0	AK:  Skull Island Swamps And Waterways 8-
0	Analyze Animal 8-
3	Concealment 11-; Self Only (-1/2)
0	PS:  Mortifillex Abilities 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
0	Stealth 8-
0	Survival 8-
[b]49	Total Powers & Skills Cost
5	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
5	Physical Limitation:  Small (up to 1 m long; +3" KB) (I, S)
15	Physical Limitation:  Very Limited manipulation (F, G)
[b]115	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Ecology:

A form of water insect, Mortifillex lurks in shallow, weed-choked water, using its long fishlike lure to attract prey (such as fish, other invertebrates, or water birds).

Personality/Motivation:

Normal animal motivations.

Powers/Tactics:

A slow-moving swimmer, Mortifillex tends to remain motionless, dangling its lure out to attract the attention of passing prey. Once something takes the bait (so to speak), Mortifillex will snatch it up with specialized grasping legs, hold it steady in order to deliver a venomous bite.

Appearance:

Resembling dragonfly larvae in some respects, Mortifillex measures from three to four feet in length, with a dark greenish-black armor-plated body.

Designer's Notes:

The Mortifillex character sheet was based off of the one for an Eel found in the HERO System Bestiary. It didn't appear in King Kong.