Favorite Sci-Fi Weapon

AlHazred

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Favorite Sci-Fi Weapon

Gotta give one more vote for the classic Lightsaber. Truely "An elegant weapon...yada, yada...." Closely followed by the Type II Phaser. But, if this truely counts as Sci-Fi, the one weapon I've seen on this list that I would most want would be a Green Lantern Power Ring. Not only "The most powerful weapon in the universe," but a tool that could truely, litterally, do anything you can imagine.

Wow! I'm kind of disappointed that no one has yet mentioned the shoulder-mounted Plasma Caster that the Predator uses. Combined with that wicked tracking system. Definitely one of the coolest sci-fi weapons.
That's only because I just found this thread, and haven't had a chance to post yet.

I also like "Vera".

And let's not forget AKKA' date='the ultimate weapon from jack Williamson's [i']The Legion of Space[/i] series.Any homemade weapon that can make planets disappear certainly deserves mention.

Even if the weapon requirement make for a rather grim retirement for the weapon's wielder.

Guest Major Tom

One of the more interesting weapons in sci-fi/fantasy that I've seen, either in

comics, movies, or TV, was the Powerstar from the Blackstarr animated

series from years ago. Two swords that, individually, had considerable power --

but when joined together... well, let's just say that, in the one episode where

the two halves were joined, the lightshow was on a par with some of the more

spectacular Quickenings in Highlander (TV or movie).

Major Tom :dyn

You can't go wrong with a lightsaber, and the Force Lance is the Swiss army knife of science fiction, but here are two that put a smile on my face.

1) The Lancer from Gears of War. A useful assault rifle, with a chainsaw attachment. Just playing the game will make you grow a beard. Plus, it's very useful if you're a homicidal lumberjack.

2) The 30 second bomb from Starship Troopers. I just like the idea of a bomb that lets you know how soon you'll die with loving, almost C-3POesque politeness.

and, if goofy weapons are permitted, the Quad Laser from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

"The bullet is enormous, there is no escape!"

not SF, but there was that four-barrel elephant gun used to horrifying effect in Tom Sharpe's Riotous Assembly.

One of the characters uses it to denude a hillside of shrubbery, and South African police. This proves problematic, since he's a south african policeman.