Amalgam Universe Campaign

The Main Man

This is a superhero campaign that for a couple years I considered running, and I finally got the ball rolling, with another group member as a partner co-campaign creator.

Basically, we ignore the original Amalgam Universe that Marvel & DC created in favor of our own ideas.

Some of the things that we have conceived are that this one began because Krona breached the proverbial veil and found the Marvel Universe (again), and he somehow punk'd Eternity, and merged the two universes together (we want to say something like an amalgam of Secret Wars and Crisis on Infinite Earths, so I cop out). That is the backdrop of the campaign, or what started it; no one but those who should know, know about these events to any stretch of the imagination.

Here is the group so far, and some have already been made:

Firehulk (Firestorm + Hulk) - Nuclear power protester Ronnie Banner was bathed in gamma radiation and now has access to the Firehulk Matrix, a strange non-physical realm that houses a behemoth with great atomic power, the Firehulk! Always caught in a battle of wills with this beast, Ronnie knows that it is no match for two minds, and he enlists help from Professor Bruce Stein, who has extensive chemical and atomic knowledge for putting the Firehulk's powers to good use.

Iron Arrow (Iron Man + Green Arrow) - Billionaire man-**** Oliver Stark's lineage goes back to Robin Hood, and like many of the rich and famous, he got bored. Sure, archery runs in the family, but what is a guy with a bow and arrow to do in this world of superhumans? Using his financial and industrial resources (and he has plenty), he assembled a suit that grants him enhanced strength, stamina, and agility, as well as flight and a built-in pulson arrow projector.

Lobo (Lobo + Blade) - Vampires had a prophecy of the "Lobo," which translates to "Daywalker." To say that it would be beneficial to them was all but foolish, as he proved to be a menace to them and humans. Eventually he was captured, physically chastised at great length, and trained to kill vampires by Gold Whistler, a vampire hunter with a heart and smile of, well, gold. Now the Lobo dons his Sword and Chain, along with an arsenal of big friggin' guns to focus his ultra-violence on vampires.

Rogue Martian (Rogue + Martian Manhunter) - J'onn J'onnz is a renegade from a dead planet. She has the power to take on the traits of any being she can touch. (We're still working on this one)

Another of my players is still concocting a character, but he's pretty much set on using Thor as the Marvel part.

Thoughts? I'll have the characters up later.

Re: Amalgam Universe Campaign

Yeah, it's meant to feel familiar, yet original.

This campaign doesn't seem especially friendly to point limits, it seems to be the first campaign where I actually say to myself, "Build it right."

I think I'm on my way to having an excellent character balance detector.

• 1 year later...

Another of my players is still concocting a character, but he's pretty much set on using Thor as the Marvel part.

Thoughts? I'll have the characters up later.

Thor + Captain Marvel (Shazam) = The Northman

Wisdom of Odin

Strength of Magni

Stamina of Modi

Power of Thor

Courage of Baldur

Speed of Hermod

Here's an NPC for you. From another thread of the past

Mary Lane (Mary Jane and Lois Lane): Known for her distinctive hair style (naturally raven, but she dyes a streak of it a fiery red) Mary Lane is a former model turned fashion reporter. The reason she draws attention is she's an expert on the fashion of super heroes and villains. It's Mary who helps determine who's hot, and who's not in the often spandex clad world. Naturally, a few villains have vowed terrible vengeance on her when they were reviewed unfavorably.

The Amalgam concept gets really fun when combining really diverse characters such as this. Don't forget the villains! Like this:

During a trial Flint Dent had an exhibit of radioactive sand thrown in his face. The left half of his body was transformed into crumbling sand. Now he seeks revenge on an ugly world as the criminal mastermind Sandface!

Quark (Atom + Hulk): The madder Quark gets, the smaller Quark gets!

:)

I love this! :love:

OMMTBH

BHOMMT!

THOMMB!

BMMOTH!

OMBMTH

Wow. Nothing works. You're right.

BOMMTH. Yick.

OBTHMM.

You, sir, suffer from a lack of Vowels.

How about changing a couple of the deities you use?

Wisdom of Odin

Power of Thor

Strength of Heimdall

Courage of Njord (N is silent)

Cunning of Utgard-Loki

Speed of Meili (The Mile Stepper)-Yes, that really is what he could do.

MUNHOT

THOMUN

MONTHU

OTHMUN!

OTHMUN is your answer. It sounds reasonably Norse, frighteningly accurate, and NO ONE outside the people on this board will ever know how much of a Norse Mythology geek the Brawling Balabanto is!

OMMTBH

BHOMMT!

THOMMB!

BMMOTH!

OMBMTH

Wow. Nothing works. You're right.

BOMMTH. Yick.

OBTHMM.

You, sir, suffer from a lack of Vowels.

How about changing a couple of the deities you use?

Wisdom of Odin

Power of Thor

Strength of Heimdall

Courage of Njord (N is silent)

Cunning of Utgard-Loki

Speed of Meili (The Mile Stepper)-Yes, that really is what he could do.

MUNHOT

THOMUN

MONTHU

OTHMUN!

OTHMUN is your answer. It sounds reasonably Norse, frighteningly accurate, and NO ONE outside the people on this board will ever know how much of a Norse Mythology geek the Brawling Balabanto is!

No, MONTHU is better, being a god of war himself. (Egyptian, not norse, but...eh.)

Here's an NPC for you. From another thread of the past

Mary Lane (Mary Jane and Lois Lane): Known for her distinctive hair style (naturally raven, but she dyes a streak of it a fiery red) Mary Lane is a former model turned fashion reporter. The reason she draws attention is she's an expert on the fashion of super heroes and villains. It's Mary who helps determine who's hot, and who's not in the often spandex clad world. Naturally, a few villains have vowed terrible vengeance on her when they were reviewed unfavorably.

In that case...

Rocketed to Earth as an infant, he was found by Jonathan and May Kent. He seemed like a perfectly ordinary infant, whom they named Peter and adopted as their own, claiming he had been her sister's boy and that she'd died suddenly. He was always a sickly youth, picked on by the other boys at school, until one day when he was bitten by a perfectly ordinary spider. The spider venom reacted with his alien physiology and Earth's yellow sun, to turn him into.... the Amazing Super-Spider! He vowed to become a hero after his uncle Jonathan was killed by a thug he could have stopped had he chosen to.

Well, this campaign has been on the back burner for quite some time, but I have been thawing it out for a while.

I have been thinking of running it "one-shot" style, where before each adventure the players are given their campaign specifics (Base Points, Disadvantage Points, Active Points, CV, DC's, etc) and they are set loose to make them and contact the GM.

The idea is to run it as they were presented originally in single issues, except of course that each adventure will be longer than one measly game session. If a player wants to continue to play their amalgam character, they may if they fit within the next adventures campaign parameters.

• 10 months later...

Thor + Captain Marvel (Shazam) = The Northman

Wisdom of Odin

Strength of Magni

Stamina of Modi

Power of Thor

Courage of Baldur

Speed of Hermod

I would call a mix between Thor and Shazam "Captain Thunder".

Thor's Strength

Hermod's Speed (Hermod is the messenger of the gods)

Ull's Judgement (Ull is a God of Justice)

Norn's Wisdom (the Norse equivalent of the Fates)

Dager's Light (sun god)

Einherjar's Courage (the Einherjar are the warriors in Valhalla)

Ragnarok's Power

Lobo (Lobo + Blade) - Vampires had a prophecy of the "Lobo," which translates to "Daywalker." To say that it would be beneficial to them was all but foolish, as he proved to be a menace to them and humans. Eventually he was captured, physically chastised at great length, and trained to kill vampires by Gold Whistler, a vampire hunter with a heart and smile of, well, gold. Now the Lobo dons his Sword and Chain, along with an arsenal of big friggin' guns to focus his ultra-violence on vampires.

I'd suggest his name be

Loblade

Southern Cross(a Captain Atom/Captain America cross):

Adam Stephens,a patriotic New Zealander, joined Greenpeace in the wake of the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior.Somehow he got onto Muaroa,and the sadistic French commander decided to make an example of him,by chaining him to the newest development of French science-the awesome QUANTUM BOMB!!!!

At first everybody though the poor guy had been reduced to subatomic particles-in reality he had become linked to the quantum field,reemerging twenty years later as the Protector Of The Pacific,the quantum-powered Southern Cross!!!

Guest Major Tom

I would call a mix between Thor and Shazam "Captain Thunder".

Thor's Strength

Hermod's Speed (Hermod is the messenger of the gods)

Ull's Judgement (Ull is a God of Justice)

Norn's Wisdom (the Norse equivalent of the Fates)

Dager's Light (sun god)

Einherjar's Courage (the Einherjar are the warriors in Valhalla)

Ragnarok's Power

Ah, dude... you do realize that Ragnarok isn't a god, don't you?

It's actually the Norse version of Armageddon.

Major Tom :eek:

ULTRA WARLOCK

Secret ID: Adam Jonah

A very basic super hero, but has a long roster of sorcerous abilities, that he uses one at a time.

• Extra-Dimensional Mega-Flight
    (ultra fast spirit travel)

• Astral Vision
    (clairsentience through anything but silver and gold)

• Soul-Burner Vision
    (heat rays that only damage living objects)

• Summon Space Servants
    (great flying whale-shaped beasts)

• Activate Ultra-Gem
    (sends living beings back in time)

• etc.
    etc.

Ultra-Warlock gained his basic powers when a renegade division of the Science Police experimented on his mother, the enigmatic woman known as Her-Zero. He gained the sorcerous powers much later when he was swallowed whole while fighting a space-demon, and took from the things gullet an Ultra-Shard, with which he cut his way out, and with which he fights crime.